Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.
Red Steel

Does The Wii Control Work Better Than A Remote?

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth Favourite Forums

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 1 of 2

1 | Last     Next
XxFiragaxX Posted at: 22:12 Dec19 2006 Post ID: 1225563
XxFiragaxX
Post Likes: 0
+
+
Does the Control that the Wiimote offer truly stand out as being better than the traditional controllers of last-gen consoles?? In my opinion the answer is a clear yes!! I absolutely love the control and think that it adds so much to the games. It is truly genre-revamping and I love what its done for the console. Does anyone else agree with me, or feel the opposite?? Feedback would be awesome~
[size=18] [color=red] JOIN TEAM MARIO BROS!!! [color=#37AA7C][/size]
Images removed ? only one image allowed; adoption schemes are not exceptions ? Cross Stinger
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
BUF Posted at: 22:20 Dec19 2006 Post ID: 1225576
BUF
Forum GuestMember
+
+
ya i really like the new controller to but its not good at all for playing the older games
Mike Penance Posted at: 04:02 Dec20 2006 Post ID: 1225719
Mike Penance
+
+
I agree, the Wii-Remote does just that - however, if we're talking about the controls for Red Steel, then I'd have to say they're just abysmal. The aiming is too twitchy and having to push the remote forward to zoom is absurd, along with the Nunchuk being used in exactly the same way for so many different actions (wave up-down for switch, for sword attack, to open, etc). I can't wait for a game to come along and make proper use of the Wii-Remote - what that'll be, I don't know.
I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.
XxFiragaxX Posted at: 14:57 Dec20 2006 Post ID: 1226406
XxFiragaxX
+
+
Yeah, the zoom feature is kind of annoying, but I Still feel like it immerses you in the gameplay more than traditional games. I also wish that there was a way t turn the sensitivity of the remote down (IS there??) because it does require a little too precise aiming system. All in all though I still love it. If you guys had the choice would you rather use a standard remote or the wiimote? (For this game)
Images removed ? only one image allowed; adoption schemes are not exceptions ? Cross Stinger
Mike Penance Posted at: 04:15 Dec21 2006 Post ID: 1228101
Mike Penance
+
+
Well, yeah - it does the job of immersing you in the game brilliantly (more so than a regular pad – it also adds more actions that would not have been capable with a regular pad) but it seems like so many corners have been cut (even if it is a unique experience – maybe Far Cry will be better) and they’ve tried to add too much. As far as the game is concerned I don’t think the sensitivity can be adjusted (although, there may be a general sensitivity setting tucked away in the console options somewhere – don’t quote me though). Maybe the game would have been better received if it had had Wi-Fi support.
I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.
SPV999 Posted at: 13:39 Dec21 2006 Post ID: 1228752
SPV999
+
+
On 21-Dec-2006 Mike Penance said:Well, yeah - it does the job of immersing you in the game brilliantly (more so than a regular pad – it also adds more actions that would not have been capable with a regular pad) but it seems like so many corners have been cut (even if it is a unique experience – maybe Far Cry will be better) and they’ve tried to add too much. As far as the game is concerned I don’t think the sensitivity can be adjusted (although, there may be a general sensitivity setting tucked away in the console options somewhere – don’t quote me though). Maybe the game would have been better received if it had had Wi-Fi support.
The Wii remote is capable of much better then is showcased in Red Steel, even though Red Steels controls are pretty good IMO. However, we have to remember that it is a launch title, so its controls and graphics wont be the best. Its not so much that they cut corners, but that they didnt really know what they were doing.

BTW, 2 things.
1) There is (are?) two separate sensitivity options (one in the Wiis settings and the other in Red Steels settings)if you're having problems with twitchiness, try tinkering with them.
2) Far Cry is getting pretty bad reviews right now as well.

On a side note, Ever wonder what would happen if there was a big battle between the entire staff of Supercheats?

Mike Penance Posted at: 14:01 Dec21 2006 Post ID: 1228814
Mike Penance
+
+
Hmm ... I don't know. Sometimes it seems that they included some pretty half-baked ideas (concepts that they invented shouldn't be so poor and its not like they didn't have enough time with the hardware). In this day and age (and for the price we pay for games), I don't think that 'its a launch game' can be used as an excuse anymore. Lets hope that they pull their fingers out of their proverbial for the sequal and give us what we should have had first time round.

A pitty about Far Cry though ... funky Wii video by the way.
XxFiragaxX Posted at: 20:17 Dec21 2006 Post ID: 1230228
XxFiragaxX
+
+
Yeah, Nintendo Power rated it a four out of ten. It looks like red steel is still the best shooter for the wii right now. I agree that they definitely did cut corners, but you've gotta remember, these are only launch titles. Im sure that by this time next yr. the technology will be built upon so much, that we'l never be able to go back to standard controlled games again!
SPV999 Posted at: 06:46 Dec22 2006 Post ID: 1231152
SPV999
+
+
On 21-Dec-2006 Mike Penance said:Hmm ... I don't know. Sometimes it seems that they included some pretty half-baked ideas (concepts that they invented shouldn't be so poor and its not like they didn't have enough time with the hardware). In this day and age (and for the price we pay for games), I don't think that 'its a launch game' can be used as an excuse anymore. Lets hope that they pull their fingers out of their proverbial for the sequal and give us what we should have had first time round.

A pitty about Far Cry though ... funky Wii video by the way.
Actually, two things:
1) We pay less for games now then we did ten years ago
2) The devs. didn't have a finished dev kit in their possession until August

and thanks... I think Smile

« Last edited by SPV999 on Dec 22nd 2006 »

On a side note, Ever wonder what would happen if there was a big battle between the entire staff of Supercheats?

MasterHunter Posted at: 11:07 Dec22 2006 Post ID: 1231471
MasterHunter
Forum GuestMember
+
+
On 21-Dec-2006 XxFiragaxX said:Yeah, Nintendo Power rated it a four out of ten. It looks like red steel is still the best shooter for the wii right now. I agree that they definitely did cut corners, but you've gotta remember, these are only launch titles. Im sure that by this time next yr. the technology will be built upon so much, that we'l never be able to go back to standard controlled games again!
Nah, Call Of Duty 3 is the best shooter around, but yeah i agree with the launch titles and i guess nintendo are just testing games on the market to see what the customers like and where they can go with the Wiimote in the future.
XxFiragaxX Posted at: 11:27 Dec22 2006 Post ID: 1231516
XxFiragaxX
+
+
I actually dont like the control s much for call of duty three. I played around on it for a while at nintendo world in Ney York a few weeks or so ago and I thought the control scheme was a little too finnicky. It was alright but I still like red steel better. Hey everyones entitled to their opinion though!
Mike Penance Posted at: 03:32 Dec23 2006 Post ID: 1234486
Mike Penance
+
+
On 22-Dec-2006 SPV999 said:Actually, two things:
1) We pay less for games now then we did ten years ago
2) The devs. didn't have a finished dev kit in their possession until August

and thanks... I think Smile
What does paying less now than we used to have to do with it? Paying less for rubbish is still paying too much.
SPV999 Posted at: 07:02 Dec23 2006 Post ID: 1234538
SPV999
+
+
On 23-Dec-2006 Mike Penance said:What does paying less now than we used to have to do with it? Paying less for rubbish is still paying too much.

"In this day and age (and for the price we pay for games), I don't think that 'its a launch game' can be used as an excuse anymore"

Mike Penance Posted at: 09:09 Dec23 2006 Post ID: 1234660
Mike Penance
+
+
On 23-Dec-2006 SPV999 said:...

"In this day and age (and for the price we pay for games), I don't think that 'its a launch game' can be used as an excuse anymore"
And the point in quoting the ever quotable me is? I don't recall saying anything to contradict myself. I was mealy stating that just because games are marginally cheaper these days (for the Wii anyway) it is no excuse for shoddy work like Red Steel and we as consumers should neither be making these excuses or accepting them (whether the game is innovative or fresh in some way or not). I was also stating that your 'correction' of games being cheaper than they used to be bears very little relevance or Red Steel purely because it’s not worth the money they're asking for it. If you could elucidate as to the point you were trying to make I would be grateful.
SPV999 Posted at: 11:39 Dec23 2006 Post ID: 1235140
SPV999
+
+
On 23-Dec-2006 Mike Penance said:And the point in quoting the ever quotable me is? I don't recall saying anything to contradict myself. I was mealy stating that just because games are marginally cheaper these days (for the Wii anyway) it is no excuse for shoddy work like Red Steel and we as consumers should neither be making these excuses or accepting them (whether the game is innovative or fresh in some way or not). I was also stating that your 'correction' of games being cheaper than they used to be bears very little relevance or Red Steel purely because it’s not worth the money they're asking for it. If you could elucidate as to the point you were trying to make I would be grateful.
What I was saying was you make it sound like it was OK ten years ago to have a shoddy launch title, but its not anymore because we pay more for them... which isn't true.

Mike Penance Posted at: 12:44 Dec23 2006 Post ID: 1235470
Mike Penance
+
+
On 23-Dec-2006 SPV999 said:What I was saying was you make it sound like it was OK ten years ago to have a shoddy launch title, but its not anymore because we pay more for them... which isn't true.
I'm talking about today. The market today. The games today. the monetary system today. Yes, things like this happened in the past (hell, a lot if we're going to be honest - and whether we pay more or less for them is matterless) but as far as the past is concerned, it's just old bones and nothing can be changed. Its just that I'd expect things to have moved on a little in the past decade or so, that's all - rather than get worse. Where it gets to the state where a company pays such little attention to their testers or initial public response and instead opts to go down the root of quick return. As far as I'm concerned, Red Steel probably was never going to be that great - all Ubisoft have done is cash in on the initial novelty of the Wii Remote (notice I said 'initial' as opposed to long term, before anyone jumps in there).
MasterHunter Posted at: 15:39 Dec23 2006 Post ID: 1236093
MasterHunter
Forum GuestMember
+
+
Amazing how a simple board of opinions on the controls turns into a debate about the quality and consumer demands of games these days......
SPV999 Posted at: 16:05 Dec23 2006 Post ID: 1236164
SPV999
+
+
On 23-Dec-2006 Mike Penance said:I'm talking about today. The market today. The games today. the monetary system today. Yes, things like this happened in the past (hell, a lot if we're going to be honest - and whether we pay more or less for them is matterless) but as far as the past is concerned, it's just old bones and nothing can be changed. Its just that I'd expect things to have moved on a little in the past decade or so, that's all - rather than get worse. Where it gets to the state where a company pays such little attention to their testers or initial public response and instead opts to go down the root of quick return. As far as I'm concerned, Red Steel probably was never going to be that great - all Ubisoft have done is cash in on the initial novelty of the Wii Remote (notice I said 'initial' as opposed to long term, before anyone jumps in there).
I think you're just expecting far to much from a launch game. Also, no matter how many console generations pass us, launch games aren’t going to get any better; they're still going to be some of the worst quality games on said system. However, as far as launch games go, Red Steel is actually pretty good when you consider the difficulty in programming for something new like the Wii remote.

Luckily, future title (like Red Steel 2) will be aided by "Livemote;" a special dev. kit Nintendo developed to make programming for the Wii extremely easy.

And agreed MasterHunter.

Mike Penance Posted at: 04:12 Dec24 2006 Post ID: 1237941
Mike Penance
+
+
... Well, this is supposed to be a consumer society. And, it has been remarked upon by programmers and official magazines alike - the Wii is very easy to program for. After the initial reviews - Red Steel suffered badly at the hands of the media. Now - all this back and forth, making excuses about this and that is giving me a headache. Let's cancel the Penance & SPV999 circus act that we've been running for the longest time now and let these other people have a say (partly because it is the right thing to do and partly because I think everyone else is readying their crossbows ).
kingrhino Posted at: 06:47 Feb16 2007 Post ID: 1372171
kingrhino
Forum GuestMember
+
+
On 23-Dec-2006 Mike Penance said:And the point in quoting the ever quotable me is? I don't recall saying anything to contradict myself. I was mealy stating that just because games are marginally cheaper these days (for the Wii anyway) it is no excuse for shoddy work like Red Steel and we as consumers should neither be making these excuses or accepting them (whether the game is innovative or fresh in some way or not). I was also stating that your 'correction' of games being cheaper than they used to be bears very little relevance or Red Steel purely because it’s not worth the money they're asking for it. If you could elucidate as to the point you were trying to make I would be grateful.
by this post i think you dont like this game.Shoddy work.its probably one of the best games for the wii and maybe will be for a while.
join team mario bros. the best team ever!!!!!!!!!!!
Displaying Page 1 of 2

1 | Last     Next
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth Favourite Forums

Members viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
Smilies, click to use

You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close