Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

fancy taking a butcher at some fantasy?

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 1 of 2

1 | Last     Next
ultimathule Posted: 11:10 Jan05 2007 Post ID: 1271307
ultimathule
Forum GuestMember
Post Likes: 0
+
Here's something I came up with on the instant to show you;

Walls

by Malachi Marriott

I awoke in darkness. Slowly I tried to bring reason into focus. Where was I? I had no idea. No idea of where I was, where I had been, how I had got to wherever I was. I was in a cold sweat. "My God!," I must have uttered aloud, the sound creating a hollow echo.

I was lying on a cold dank stone floor. I had neither pillow nor covers. I must have been awfully tired to have slept in such surroundings, or was I placed here while I was asleep? I tried hard to think - where had I been? who had I seen? what had I been doing? I had no answers - none! I sat up on the cold floor and clutched my head in my hands. I couldn't remember anything - not one single thing from the past. I brought myself to realize that I wasn't even sure who I was. I was frightened. I could feel my heart pounding in my chest, could feel the sound rather than hear it. I only knew one thing - I had to get out of where I was - back to civilization - back to friends and family. But where? Where was I? Was I indoors or out? Was it summer or winter? I couldn't tell! I could tell only that I wore a loose-fitting garment of some sort - maybe a jogging suit. I couldn't really tell in the dark. It had but one pocket, and it was empty. I had no shoes or socks, no underclothes, nothing else except the sole garment. I felt chilled - but not cold. Cold from the dankness, the musty odor filled my lungs.

It was pitch black. Black and deathly quiet. Maybe, I thought, this is really death and this is my grave. That would explain the lack of memory - I was in-transit, from one life to the next? . . . from one soul to another? I laughed, a scared laugh, my throat rasping. My fears multiplied. This cannot be, I finally reasoned . . . I can hear, at least my own sound, I can feel, I can smell, I can move. I think I can see, but it is so dark, I really can't tell. I searched all around me for a small ray of light. Nothing! I had to be alive, alive and well. I had certainly gotten myself into some predicament, but I would be all right as soon as I got my bearings, as soon as I learned where I was, as soon as I could find the light.

Slowly I stood up, and walked ever so slowly forward, using my arms as feelers. Nothing! I continued walking and then suddenly, I could feel a wall directly in front of me. I made my way to the wall, and with my back toward it, I inched to my right. The wall was stone, old and roughly carved of massive blocks. It too was damp, cold to the touch. My right hand felt both along the wall and the emptiness to my left, exploring the darkness. I walked on and on - a few feet, several yards? I couldn't tell. I was too disorganized, too illogical. Finally, I came to an adjoining wall, also stone, also cold. I went around the corner, and continued on until I felt the end of the wall. Was it a doorway? I felt along the corner. It was as if the wall had ended. There was no overhead arch.

I inched my way through the opening, back the way I had come along the other side of the wall. I thought of venturing into the opening, but felt safer, more secure, as long as I could touch something. I continued on. I persevered - around corners, through new openings, but everywhere, every turn, everything seemed the same. Was I closer to escaping, or going deeper into trouble? I couldn't think clearly, couldn't fathom where I was or how to get out. I sank slowly down to the floor and wept, wept for a long time, my body heaving in my sorrow. I decided to try to sleep a while longer. Maybe then, I could think more clearly. Maybe then, reason would return.

I slept fitfully off and on for a few minutes, a few hours? My mind was racing, but nothing made any sense. From my half-sleep, I awoke from a nightmare - I was falling down, down into darkness below. No, it was but a dream. I was still there, on the cold stone floor next to the wall, but . . . there was now a faint light. As my eyes adjusted to the dim light, I could make out the form of other walls, other doorways. The walls were all high, much higher than my head, perhaps two to three times taller than I. There was no ceiling -just a dark gray emptiness. If this was a room, it appeared to be irregularly shaped, with walls jutting in from strange angles. The floor seemed solid, solid rock like the walls. My surroundings made no sense, absolutely no sense. I was sure now that I had never before been here - wherever I was. Even as I sat, the surroundings became more and more bright, from a source I couldn't see. Was it the sun? the moon? or was I in some huge hall? I couldn't tell. I only knew, more than ever, that I had to get out . . . that I had to escape!

Frantically, I arose and half-walked, half-ran to the nearest open doorway . . . only to find another room much like the one I had left, with other doorways. I ran from room to room, through passageways and doorways, becoming anxious. Each room was much like the rest, multiple doorways, irregularly shaped, tall walls. Real panic set in. I entered a tight corridor. A dead end! Retreating, I searched further on. Finally, the terrible truth became obvious - I was in some huge maze! I tried to calm myself. I stopped and sat down to study the alternatives. My approach had been random. Was I closer to freedom or merely further into the maze? There was no way of knowing. There had to be some plan that would work. Should I try to stay in a straight line? No, that would be almost impossible, with all the twists and turns. Should I keep turning to the left or to the right? Possibly. Should I try to mark the path I took, in case I needed to retreat? Yes, but how? There didn't appear to be any loose stones, nothing that I could use to mark my progress. Nothing . . . unless I used small scraps from my clothing. I had on, not a jogging suit, but some kind of uniform, maybe a prisoner's, made of dark gray cotton. Taking off my shirt, I tore it into smaller and smaller pieces. I had a plan. I would keep to the right, would take every right turn and would leave behind a trail of clothing scraps so if I had to retrace I could. I wasn't convinced that my plan was sound, but at least it was better than what I had been doing. It at least was a positive attempt to solve this gigantic puzzle.

By now the light was bright. There was still no indication of where the source of the light was coming from, no shadows, no warmth generating from the light source. It was still chilly, the floor was still cold, the odor still musty. I clutched the shirt scraps in my hands as I walked deliberately toward the opening on the right. As I took the first turn, I dropped the first of many scraps. On and on I walked, through twists and turns. Tired, hungry, thirsty, I stumbled on, the scraps diminishing quickly as I made my way through passageway after passageway. Was I closer to freedom? I didn't know, didn't want to think about it. I was following a routine, dully, and I tried to block out all thoughts, because the only thoughts were those of fear, those of panic, thoughts that began "What if . . .?"

Hours passed. I stumbled on . . . and on, toward an uncertain fate. Occasionally I found myself in dead alleys, and had to retrace my steps. Finally, the last scrap of material was gone, and yet I wandered still in the maze, unchanged from the first room I had seen . . . no noticeable progress made. Finally, when I was on the verge of collapse, I took one more right turn, and saw at the end of the passageway a door - a wooden door. Made of rough lumber, I found that it had no knob. Opening outward, out of the passage, it was locked or nailed shut from the other side. I pushed on the door with all my strength, but it wouldn't budge. I went back to the end of the passageway and ran toward the door, hitting it with my shoulder. It didn't give. I repeated the maneuver time and time again, until my shoulder was bleeding. It seemed to be giving way! I ignored the pain in my shoulder, the blood, the pounding in my head. Time and time again, I rammed the door, until at the verge of total exhaustion, it moved. Not a lot, but it moved. I attacked the door with new energy and finally it gave way. I pushed, and it opened.

Inside, I discovered a maze of mirrors. I sat down and cried.

High above, unseen, the laboratory technician in his white coat smiled as he consulted his stop watch before making his latest notation on the chart.

I'm also writing a series of books based in a parrell universe to our own called the Spirit Realm, where magic was developed instead of science.
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
Cipher_Wizard Posted: 11:42 Jan05 2007 Post ID: 1271405
Cipher_Wizard
+
'Tis very good, not to mention teh occasional one-off fic is great with the longer ones we have running here.

« Last edited by Cipher_Wizard on Jan 5th 2007 »
If you see me posting, it's because I've been asked to. Which I guess would mean I'm taking requests.
Seos san Nekros Posted: 14:21 Jan05 2007 Post ID: 1271851
Seos san Nekros
+
Dude, wow. You wrote that on the spot? Nice work, man, I like it.
[center]
[color=silver]
Thanks to V-Gamer for awesome sig and avy.
[url=http://s381.photobucket.com/albums/oo256/SeossanNekros/][color=silver]Gifts and such. Thanks guys. =D[/url]
[url=http://forums.supercheats.com/topic.php?topic=97843][size=13][color=silver]Short Story - Haunted[/url]
Pandaemonium Posted: 14:35 Jan05 2007 Post ID: 1271873
Pandaemonium
+
Excellent work, Slick. We don't get many published authors around these parts, which means I can usually find something to comment on. In this case, though, I've got nothing. However, I am curious as to how you could have come up with it "on the instant" to show us when you clearly wrote it last year.

« Last edited by Pandaemonium on Jan 5th 2007 »
ultimathule Posted: 15:22 Jan05 2007 Post ID: 1271975
ultimathule
Forum GuestMember
+
I just write stuff whenever I want to. This was actually writen to be an open example for linktheking.
I think I'm developing a certin dislike for pandaemonium.
Anyway, want to see some samples of my other work?
Pandaemonium Posted: 15:26 Jan05 2007 Post ID: 1271993
Pandaemonium
+
I don't blame you for disliking me, but I tend to get my facts right, and I know for a fact that this was written on or before the 3rd of November. Please refrain from lying to me.
ultimathule Posted: 15:31 Jan05 2007 Post ID: 1272020
ultimathule
Forum GuestMember
+
I wrote 'when the Humans came' on the 1st of Novembre, but not this...
ultimathule Posted: 15:35 Jan05 2007 Post ID: 1272037
ultimathule
Forum GuestMember
+
OH! I know what you probably mean. Do you mean when the Microsoft word document was formed? 'Cause I was meaning to actually writing this for a while.
EDIT: I meant meaning to write this for a while.

« Last edited by ultimathule on Jan 6th 2007 »
Pandaemonium Posted: 15:37 Jan05 2007 Post ID: 1272045
Pandaemonium
+
I have my sources, Mr Marriott - if that really is your name - and I suggest that you start telling the truth. Furthermore, I am beginning to suspect that this is not your own work.

Edit: No, I'm referring to the fact that you posted this exact short story elsewhere on the 3rd of November last year. And don't double-post.

« Last edited by Pandaemonium on Jan 5th 2007 »
zaff Posted: 17:29 Jan05 2007 Post ID: 1272546
zaff
+
calm down panda (i tried saving u on super cheats king of hill on fourm games)

+ we once wrote these in my old school, i wrote one about a cow who you thought was a doctor until the last paragraph, dont ask how
ultimathule Posted: 00:45 Jan06 2007 Post ID: 1273744
ultimathule
Forum GuestMember
+
Hey, Pandaemonium, I was looking around and I did post it elsewhere and forgot about it.
that means I wrote it all out again (from memory) when I could've copy and pasted...

EDIT: what happened in your story? it sounds interesting.

« Last edited by ultimathule on Jan 6th 2007 »
Pandaemonium Posted: 03:59 Jan06 2007 Post ID: 1273894
Pandaemonium
+
So you wrote it out again... from memory... and it just happened to be identical, with the same line spacing, punctuation and word choice? You, Sir, are a liar, and I've a good mind to report you for plagiarism.
video_boy_murak Posted: 01:13 Jan07 2007 Post ID: 1277663
video_boy_murak
+
Pandaemonium, he probably just followed his 'ten commandents of writing', but I doubt he could reproduce a exact copy. Word for word.
Pandaemonium Posted: 07:24 Jan07 2007 Post ID: 1277940
Pandaemonium
+
He couldn't. When a piece of writing is that long, the odds of reproducing it perfectly from memory are zilch.
video_boy_murak Posted: 08:44 Jan07 2007 Post ID: 1278121
video_boy_murak
+
How about we just give him a warning and close this thread? I think he wrote it and wanted it to sound more impressive,
Pandaemonium Posted: 14:04 Jan07 2007 Post ID: 1278911
Pandaemonium
+
I don't think the thread needs to be closed, because no rules have been broken; lying to the Mods hasn't been made illegal yet. The warning's not a bad idea, though.

ultimathule, this is your first official warning. You've made a bad first impression on the FF&RP Mods by lying to us, so I advise you to think very carefully about what you type in future.

And murak, try to lay off the rent-a-modding a bit. It's kinda annoying.
Swampert_King456 Posted: 14:07 Jan07 2007 Post ID: 1278925
Swampert_King456
+
i would probably agrre with Pan on that one.....rly
Dragoon King. Posted: 14:16 Jan07 2007 Post ID: 1278954
Dragoon King.
Forum GuestMember
+
How do you know he is not Rain Man lol
But yeah, that much from memory? Don't think so.
[center]
My dragon has issues
()xxxxxx[|]::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>
(+[__]:Smile
WARNING: "Next left" does not mean "turn left immediately."
Pandaemonium Posted: 14:26 Jan07 2007 Post ID: 1278978
Pandaemonium
+
I can prove he's not. I neck-punched Rain Man and now he doesn't even know what day it is.

Anyway, off-topic posts end now.
ultimathule Posted: 02:19 Jan08 2007 Post ID: 1280140
ultimathule
Forum GuestMember
+
Alright. I'll be completly honest and be very careful in future.
So, am I allowed to post something else in this thread?
Displaying Page 1 of 2

1 | Last     Next
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close