Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.
Follow the dark path or use the light
Mobile
go

Why All The Craziness About Graphics?

Search for a game or topic
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Recent Posts Games Series Hubs
Game Filters
Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 1 of 2

1 | Last     Next
Bluejay0714 Posted at: 14:40 Jan05 2009 Post ID: 2513998
Bluejay0714
Forum GuestMember
Post Likes: 0
+
+
Just like the title says, why is everyone so crazy about graphics? Why? Why can't we just be happy with what is available? I'm not saying that I don't like great graphics, I just don't see the reason in making them seem as realistic as possible. Again I ask, why? I really don't care if they look CG or not. I just want to play the game. Is there anyone out there who agrees that we don't need to be so obsessed with better graphics, or saying that a game stinks just because it has "bad graphics". Which, by the way, is the lamest reason EVER!!!!!! If there is anyone who agrees with me please say so, or if there is anyone who doesn't agree with me, please state why.
Basically I'm just trying to start a debate. I like debates. Well, sort of.
Bluejay0714

"It's only a little fire. Shut up and take it like a man!!!!" My saying now for using the flame thrower in COD:WAW
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
PhilXZ Posted at: 15:09 Jan05 2009 Post ID: 2514012
PhilXZ
German Wunderkind
+
+
Graphics add detail to the game. They show clarity and quality. No one likes pixely characters with edgy body statures.
Catharsis Posted at: 15:15 Jan05 2009 Post ID: 2514014
Catharsis
One thought fills immensity.
+
+
I think this would be better placed in General Gaming Discussion... I'll move it once I've posted.

In any case, I'm not especially fussy about graphics. If a game looks good it's obviously a bonus, but I care a lot more about whether the game's actually any good to play or not. Basically, I wouldn't buy a game even if it was rated as having the best graphics around if I had reason to believe there were issues with the gameplay.

Signature and avatar made by Master Volthawk.
Email/MSN: empyrean decadence at hotmail dot com (Remove all spaces)

"Improvement makes strait roads, but the crooked roads without Improvement, are roads of Genius." - William Blake.

Winner of Member Brawl '09. Finally cleared out enough sig space to include that.
Bluejay0714 Posted at: 16:58 Jan05 2009 Post ID: 2514101
Bluejay0714
Forum GuestMember
+
+
On 05-Jan-2009 PhilXZ said:Graphics add detail to the game. They show clarity and quality. No one likes pixely characters with edgy body statures.
I don't care. So thats one person. The guy that posted before me doesn't either. Well at least thats what it sounds like. So thats two. Like he said, "it's all about the content of the game. Like, for example, the original Metroid, or Starfox, or Mario, or Donkey Kong. Great games, bad graphics. Who cares? They were huge hits, and paved the way to gaming as we know it. So, like I said erlier, it's about the content.

« Last edited by Bluejay0714 on Jan 5th 2009 »
Bluejay0714

"It's only a little fire. Shut up and take it like a man!!!!" My saying now for using the flame thrower in COD:WAW
PhilXZ Posted at: 17:03 Jan05 2009 Post ID: 2514109
PhilXZ
German Wunderkind
+
+
Back then graphics weren't as highly developed as they are now. If the graphics are good then the game gets good ratings.
imaloony8.0 Posted at: 17:25 Jan05 2009 Post ID: 2514134
imaloony8.0
Loony and Proud
Post Likes: 6
+
+
Games are more than entertainment. They're works of art too. Similar to animated movies. Good graphics aren't 100% necessary for a good game, but it makes it much more relaxing to play. It also makes it easier to play if the enemies are pixilated blocks that are impossible to tell from a wall.

What I'm trying to say is no, they're not necessary, but it makes the game much more enjoyable for the player, and has a much nicer presentation.

BTW, Star Fox 64 is one of my favorite games of all time.

Wanna listen to me rant about stuff? I started a blog!
https://theloonybinblog.wordpress.com/
Catharsis Posted at: 18:02 Jan05 2009 Post ID: 2514201
Catharsis
+
+
On 05-Jan-2009 Bluejay0714 said:I don't care. So thats one person. The guy that posted before me doesn't either. Well at least thats what it sounds like. So thats two. Like he said, "it's all about the content of the game. Like, for example, the original Metroid, or Starfox, or Mario, or Donkey Kong. Great games, bad graphics. Who cares? They were huge hits, and paved the way to gaming as we know it. So, like I said erlier, it's about the content.
I would agree that the overall quality of a game is irrelevant to the graphics quality, but perhaps the best analogy here would be television. People enjoyed TV when it was in black and white, but now that pretty much all TVs sold are in colour, people expect the programs made for them to be too.

Similarly, now that gaming systems have progressed far enough that it's possible to create characters which don't look blocky and pixelly, people expect it. They might still enjoy playing games with squarish characters on their old systems, but if a game was released for the newer systems with the same graphics quality as the old, people would wonder why they weren't making full use of the new systems' capabilities.

Although I do find it irritating that some games now are focusing more on making the graphics look good than making the gameplay enjoyable... Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, for instance, has five-minute sections where you can do nothing but walk along a single pathway while the graphic designers blatantly show off around you through their exquisitely detailed walls...

« Last edited by Catharsis on Jan 5th 2009 »

"Improvement makes strait roads, but the crooked roads without Improvement, are roads of Genius." - William Blake.

Winner of Member Brawl '09. Finally cleared out enough sig space to include that.
Bluejay0714 Posted at: 18:22 Jan05 2009 Post ID: 2514218
Bluejay0714
Forum GuestMember
+
+
I agree that graphics make the game enjoyable. I'm not saying I'm totally against good graphics, sorry if I made it sound like I did, I'm just saying that they're not necessary to make a good game, and asking why people and companies are so obsessed with having or making a game have good graphics. I've seen so many comments about games where they criticize the game just because "the graphice were'nt good", or say a system isn't as good as another (I'm not going to say the name of the consols) because one has better graphics than the other. I don't want to make this one of those debates where people start bad-mouthing other people because they don't agree. I just wanted to get other people's thoughts on this subject. By the way, STARFOX 64 RULES!!!!!!
Also, PhilXZ, your sig is hillarious. The one with the free cake. Very funny.

« Last edited by Bluejay0714 on Jan 5th 2009 »
Bluejay0714

imaloony8.0 Posted at: 18:29 Jan05 2009 Post ID: 2514221
imaloony8.0
Loony and Proud
Post Likes: 6
+
+
Graphics aren't the main part, but when looking a game over, I wouldn't not mention the graphics. If they're Wii graphics, I'd knock the game down by 0.1 or 0.2, while great graphics might get a little added to it. I'm more concerned with story and gameplay though.

Wanna listen to me rant about stuff? I started a blog!
https://theloonybinblog.wordpress.com/
Catharsis Posted at: 18:32 Jan05 2009 Post ID: 2514224
Catharsis
+
+
On 05-Jan-2009 Bluejay0714 said:I agree that graphics make the game enjoyable. I'm not saying I'm totally against good graphics, sorry if I made it sound like I did, I'm just saying that they're not necessary to make a good game, and asking why people and companies are so obsessed with having or making a game have good graphics. I've seen so many comments about games where they criticize the game just because "the graphice were'nt good", or say a system isn't as good as another (I'm not going to say the name of the consols) because one has better graphics than the other. I don't want to make this one of those debates where people start bad-mouthing other people because they don't agree. I just wanted to get other people's thoughts on this subject. By the way, STARFOX 64 RULES!!!!!!
Also, PhilXZ, your sig is hillarious. The one with the free cake. Very funny.
I'd agree with you totally. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune has better graphics than the Prince of Persia trilogy on PS2, but I'd say any one of the PoP games is better than Uncharted, for instance.

Volke Posted at: 11:36 Jan06 2009 Post ID: 2514507
Volke
Executioner
Post Likes: 33
+
+
They don't bother me. It's nice if the graphics are good, but I wouldn't avoid what would be a great game just because it has average graphics, and vice versa. I personally think sound is more important than graphics, along with the obvious likes of gameplay and controls (the story only gets credit if it's a story-based game).

Sig and avatar by Ozzo. Thanks.

link removed.
qwertyuio Posted at: 18:17 Jan06 2009 Post ID: 2514729
qwertyuio
Bite the Bullet
Post Likes: 9
+
+
Graphics have always bin an important thing for me. Now as others have said, I don't put the whole games rating based on its graphics. But for me good graphics make the game much more playable, I really do appreciate these things, and unlike Catharis, I actually enjoy those moments when the art directors show off their full skills,I think "Wow, that is pretty amazing" It just adds a lot to the overall experience to me. Probably a bit more than it does for most people.
Voted Best Nazi Mod Ever <3
know-your-role Posted at: 10:12 Jan07 2009 Post ID: 2515165
know-your-role
Post Likes: 1
+
+
It makes the game look realistic, that's how I like it. GTA IV had pretty strong graphics which made me play it alot.
E-bro: Jakethesnake14
Youkou Posted at: 11:35 Jan07 2009 Post ID: 2515183
Youkou
C:\Program Files
+
+
It's like with girls...it's very nice to have something that looks good on the outside, but what counts is the inside, or you wont keep up with them for long if the outside is the only good thing you judge on.

I still play Atari and PSX games, they were great and still are...and often still more fun then some of the current high detailed fast action games.
Bluejay0714 Posted at: 14:03 Jan07 2009 Post ID: 2515219
Bluejay0714
Forum GuestMember
+
+
I like a game that has good graphics too, but I would have to agree with Catharis when it comes to designers putting in scenes that have no purpose in the game, or so it seems, other than to show off graphics. They can do that in cutscenes all they want, but unless its a game like Metroid Prime, Call Of Duty, or any game where you have to walk around without any action, then don't put it in there. I still think graphics are cool, just not needed that much to make a good game.
Bluejay0714

Catharsis Posted at: 17:37 Jan07 2009 Post ID: 2515331
Catharsis
+
+
"Catharis, I actually enjoy those moments when the art directors show off their full skills,I think "Wow, that is pretty amazing" It just adds a lot to the overall experience to me. Probably a bit more than it does for most people."

I don't mind it when the graphic designers get a chance to show off their full skills either - the time for that is during cutscenes, when they can focus on camera angles (I know there's not a literal camera, but it doesn't matter), animating the main character to do things that they can't do during gameplay, etc... Hell, I loved the DMC games, and they often have longish cutscenes where the artists get to show their stuff off. But walking through a submarine for five minutes (to resume my Uncharted example) is boring, especially when one corridor looks much the same as the next (yeah, that's "realism" in action) - hell, if you were watching a film and there was five minutes of a character walking along corridors, you'd get pretty bored with that bit of the film.

And ultimately if I find the gameplay in something I'm playing to be sub-par while the graphics are excellent, I really find myself wondering what would have happened if they'd spent more time actually thinking the game out, and less time working on the graphics.

bluejay0714: You seem to be of the same opinion as me here - sure, I like it if a game has good graphics, but it's far from necessary to make a game good. Heck, I played a game once and enjoyed it, but I liked its sequel more because it focused a lot less on graphics and a lot more on fixing various gameplay issues that marred the first game I played. As a result, the game was more enjoyable for me despite the fact that the graphics weren't quite as realistic.

DeadWing Posted at: 18:29 Jan07 2009 Post ID: 2515369
DeadWing
+
+
I don't give a crap about graphics.
I think it's just gameplay, storyline, etc.
Good graphics are just a bonus, but I can easily live without them.
Go read a different signature.
know-your-role Posted at: 12:24 Jan08 2009 Post ID: 2515698
know-your-role
+
+
Yes, I tend to go for storylines too. The best storyline game I've played is Vice City.
E-bro: Jakethesnake14
Bluejay0714 Posted at: 15:06 Jan08 2009 Post ID: 2515773
Bluejay0714
Forum GuestMember
+
+
On 07-Jan-2009 Catharsis said:"Catharis, I actually enjoy those moments when the art directors show off their full skills,I think "Wow, that is pretty amazing" It just adds a lot to the overall experience to me. Probably a bit more than it does for most people."

I don't mind it when the graphic designers get a chance to show off their full skills either - the time for that is during cutscenes, when they can focus on camera angles (I know there's not a literal camera, but it doesn't matter), animating the main character to do things that they can't do during gameplay, etc... Hell, I loved the DMC games, and they often have longish cutscenes where the artists get to show their stuff off. But walking through a submarine for five minutes (to resume my Uncharted example) is boring, especially when one corridor looks much the same as the next (yeah, that's "realism" in action) - hell, if you were watching a film and there was five minutes of a character walking along corridors, you'd get pretty bored with that bit of the film.

And ultimately if I find the gameplay in something I'm playing to be sub-par while the graphics are excellent, I really find myself wondering what would have happened if they'd spent more time actually thinking the game out, and less time working on the graphics.

bluejay0714: You seem to be of the same opinion as me here - sure, I like it if a game has good graphics, but it's far from necessary to make a game good. Heck, I played a game once and enjoyed it, but I liked its sequel more because it focused a lot less on graphics and a lot more on fixing various gameplay issues that marred the first game I played. As a result, the game was more enjoyable for me despite the fact that the graphics weren't quite as realistic.
Ya definately. Save the showoffs for cutscenes, don't bore us to death with five minutes of walking through corridors with awesome graphice but without any action. I'd much rather have crappy graphics instead of that. The only game I've ever played like that would probably be Halo(the first one). Me and my friend had to keep walking around in this huge circle just to get to the elevator. Granted there were enemies showing up in three minute intervals, but sometimes the enemies wouldn't appear at all until we reached the elevator. Can you say boring? If war was at all like that, I would join the army right now. ;D
Bluejay0714

qwertyuio Posted at: 19:47 Jan09 2009 Post ID: 2516796
qwertyuio
Bite the Bullet
Post Likes: 9
+
+
You guys must admit though, there have also bin instances of which the graphics were not worked on well enough, and the gameplay almost under-par, I shining example for me, is FarCry 2. I almost regret buying that game. The graphics for multyplayer is basically no better than a PS2's. Its simply ridiculous, and there is also a million wrong things with the gameplay that I can't even list them all. Single Player, on the other hand was a different story for the most part, in fact I think they worked on it a bit too much.
Voted Best Nazi Mod Ever <3
Displaying Page 1 of 2

1 | Last     Next

Members viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
Smilies, click to use

You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close