Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.
Monster Hunter Freedom 2

Helpful Hints for Fighting Elder Dragons

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth Favourite Forums

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 1 of 2

1 | Last     Next
chaosarchangeldragon Posted at: 04:27 Feb09 2009 Post ID: 2540028
chaosarchangeldragon
Forum GuestMember
Post Likes: 0
+
+
Okay this is for whoever is rusty fighting elder dragons and new comers.

First of, Weapons, Dragon attributes work excellent againts these guys. My favorites are the Smolder Dragonsword and the Dragon Demolisher.

Kushala Daora I found easier to fight with the Diablo S armor. You gain Reckles Abandon and Wind press, adding a few Decorations to the armor will grant you the Dragon Windbreaker technique. Which renders the Kushala Daora very vulnerable to attack.
You can also use 1 of 2 Hunting Horns that allows you to cancel out Kushalas wind berrier by playing the right notes. The Gold Recorder(which also has Dragon attribute) or the Gaoren Bell.

Lunestra and Teostra I found that a Hammer or Great Sword are of great help. Mainly any weapon with Impact rather than Pierce or Sharpness. Once you have broken the horns their Dragonwind stops.

Chameleos is incredably annoying. Use armor with Fencing Technique or Long Swords, once you fill in the Spirit of an LS it's the same as having Fencing. Chameleos is weak against Dragon and Fire. The most usefull thing to know about fighting this annoying manace, is that once you have broken his horn and cut his tail he will stop going invisable.

Fighting Fatalis at the castle is safest with a bow, that's if you're not good at fighting him at close range. Just stand on the ledge right outside the camp and fire away. Whenever he flies to attack just run back inside the camp, wait about 5 seconds and run back out. He'll usually be back on the ground.

I have nothing on Kirin or White/Crimson FatalisWhistle

« Last edited by chaosarchangeldragon on Feb 9th 2009 »
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
g33k Posted at: 15:44 Feb09 2009 Post ID: 2540178
g33k
Mr. Lurker
+
+
Pinned. This could be helpful. If you have anything to add please do!
Are you ready to meet GOD?

Thanks for the Avy goes to Tank! Sig by me.
Emiliano Zapata said:It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!

Clicking this is bad for your brains.
Azure Rathalos Posted at: 04:18 Feb10 2009 Post ID: 2540799
Azure Rathalos
+
+
Elder dragon armour also negate other Dragons effects or at least lessen them alot.

For exmple: Kashala Daora armour is your best bet against Lunastra and Teostra
Chameleos Armour negates the effects of Kashalas Dragon wind and Teostra armour stops stamana dropping, while Lunastra gives you anti-theft, both are usefull against Chameleos.

Weapon wise, Smolder Dragon sword is awesome against Kashala Daora, Lunastra and Teostra but so is Eternal Schism (made from an ancient stone)
Chameleos doesn't like fire element long swords!

For Kirin, a powerfull bow or longsword do the trick for me, also its weak against fire and water, try aiming for its head or if you can hit its horn, which is the weakest point on the monster.

I can't help on fatalis, I'm working on unlocking him, so hopefully that lot above will help Thumbs Up
thegrayfox Posted at: 21:30 Mar05 2009 Post ID: 2564432
thegrayfox
+
+
another good way to take down some of the elder dragons is with poison and para effects for example:kushala is weak to poison and poisoning it will stop the wind effect
the chameleos ive always used para on it when its paralized u can see it with the right armor and weapon the chameleos can be easyer to kill than a kut-ku for the weapons i used and armor:
obituary set(or u can use a genprey tasset with it)as for weapons deathprize is a good one for para or even the weapon u use to upgrade into it for poison deadlypoison(and again or the weapon u upgrade it into) and poison battleaxe work to. if u are high enough to find shakalaka the shaka poison bite and the upgrade are also very effective i hope this helps some ppl this is just one way ive taken down elder dragons.

Gray Fox: Snake. We're not tools of the government, or anyone else. Fighting was the only thing... the only thing I was good at. But... at least I always fought for what I believed in. the dieing words of a great ninja....
D_Otaku Posted at: 04:36 Mar07 2009 Post ID: 2565421
D_Otaku
+
+
the tactic for kirin's pretty much is:
-get his horn while he's taunting
-bomb him; detonator: kirin's thunder
-leap at him from AFTER a thuder strike between you and kirin
avy by Rj
sig by me

Rabidsquire Posted at: 15:41 Mar07 2009 Post ID: 2566289
Rabidsquire
+
+
kirin = hammer fodder, onslaught throws him around like a rag doll without much aim.
Teo/Luna = Im a GS stickler for these 2, by full charging once + unsheathing on them with a 816+dmg GS instant stun, while stunned full charge head, unsheate for stun, rinse and repeat.
Daora = Always going to be the biggest pain in my bum to fight, regardless i follow a flashbomb + hammer grandslam combo till his horn breaks which dispels the wind, after that you can go for claws/wings if you like but i tend to just clobber that head of his. Ive heard True devil slicer works well... im just not big on LS's.
Chameleos = easy as pie since i started trying to lance him. Before I've used hammers, SNS with fencing, and LS's, but lances stick it to him like no other. when in area 2 you can use the ledge to stab him directly in the face, and only have to fear his bubble attack (easy enough to avoid with a sidestep after poking). Else wise you can charge through him with a fire or dragon elemented lance after almost every attack and I tend to rip his tail off without aiming. I also used the devta serpent lance for the poisoning affects that smack him almost instantly for easy tracking while invisible.
gaoren = hammer and anti quake incase the base wasnt covered. onslaught/sanctioned gunhammer/DCbroker/etc to save time. =P
Lao = the leviathan of annoyance. Onslaught/DCB, those should pound him out faster then just about anything else, wind armor is recommended but to be honest once you know what your doing i say a armor set with expert will get you done faster.
Good luck and hope this helps.
thegrayfox Posted at: 19:20 Mar07 2009 Post ID: 2566480
thegrayfox
+
+
something i think we need to be thinking about is that this thread also needs to help ppl who are first starting and are on the village queat.people who are only hr1 my tatic still works but geting the smolderdragon sword you cant do as hr1 and for onslaught im hr5 and i just now made that hammer took forever to get the union ore.not trying to be mean guys but if u have any other ways to kill a elder dragon that will help first starter's i would post those in here since it is a pinned thread.

Gray Fox: Snake. We're not tools of the government, or anyone else. Fighting was the only thing... the only thing I was good at. But... at least I always fought for what I believed in. the dieing words of a great ninja....
Rabidsquire Posted at: 19:41 Mar07 2009 Post ID: 2566506
Rabidsquire
+
+
Well most of whats going to be posted is just the best case scenario gear. I mean technically if your proficient enough with anything in particular you should be able to use it. An Anvil Hammer would substitute an Onslaught for the elders, and Spartacus Blade for Siegmund etc. It's all mostly realizing what someone is talking about and applying the same basic strategies. The things I suggested were merely for speed killing/farming. but replace DCB with any lower hammer and follow the strategy and you should be okay, 9/10 of monster hunter is learning what your good with and how to utilize it. Everyone just has to find their niche and exploit the heck out of it =P. Hopefully people don't think I'm saying you should run out and attempt lao with a bone, just saying use the best set you can and give it your best by following the strategies older players use.

« Last edited by Rabidsquire on Mar 7th 2009 »
thegrayfox Posted at: 19:53 Mar07 2009 Post ID: 2566521
thegrayfox
+
+
that would be funny if someone beat lao with a bone...and i get what you mean just saying tho when i first started on elder dragons i came here for help i asked what ppl would recomend and they would half the time name higher ranking items but then again i gues ppl can just say what rank they are and people will name items they can get.and as you wher saying utilizeing a weapon is your best bet in my case i dont realy have a single weapon im good with i use everything but a lightbowgun(cant find any good ones)and a hunting horn again same case im not sure what is best for my rank but i have played with them some in the training beating the khezu with a hunterhorn was interesting.

Rabidsquire Posted at: 20:24 Mar07 2009 Post ID: 2566568
Rabidsquire
+
+
Personally I can tell you when I first started MHF2 I thought the hunting horn was the crappiest thing I had ever/would ever use. Once I got used to playing it though I started expirimenting with them and I think your best bet for a good hunting horn early on is the conga horn. It gets extremely strong for very weak materials early on as congalala himself isn't exactly a hard kill lol. Light bowguns I really can't advertise to much as personally I only have 3 and each is designated to a sole monster, the original starter LB, sad I know but its been there when I've absolutely needed it. Tail string series for the rapid firing ice shots which helped when I didnt have the melee powe to take down a diablos. and the black belt bowgun which i honestly cant complain about, it does wonders for railing plessy and even helped me kill some of my first tigrex before I knew what to do to keep out of their way. Personally I'm 99.9% melee and only use ranged weps as a last resort since the power in comparison is so low on bowguns. I love that I have that ability as if you've played old school MH1 you know that without a decent bowgun you could kill most of those fata kills goodbye. The War conga I mentioned earlier gets up to 936 ATK before you need any G ranked materials, and once you can kill G-Rank Lala you can pump it to 1196 ATK all raw. the not sequence purple-purple-red-red-yellow which can be played twice in a row for boosted effects will make you get faster movement, greatly increased attack, and defence increase. With two plays you end up with well over 1500 (around 1600 iirc) raw damage a very large defense bonus and the ability to not bounce on any attacks, lets just saw it is godlike for pummeling heritaurs/cenataurs into submission. This is also the only hunting horn I currently own capable of defeating gaoren with ease. Not saying its the only one out there worth using (khezu horn in particular is also GREAT for daimyo's) but for the materials involved and the lower pricing for the power, it's a great investment.

EDIT: P.S. heres a link to a guy killing Fata with a bone blade, cant find lao with a bone =P. (yes he cheats) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJsPVsXcTRw&feature=related (sorry in advance if this bites the rules going to go read now and if so ill remove it.)

« Last edited by Rabidsquire on Mar 7th 2009 »
g33k Posted at: 22:44 Mar07 2009 Post ID: 2566786
g33k
Mr. Lurker
+
+
On 07-Mar-2009 D_Otaku said:... don't think you break it, since youtube already well-known, so it can't count as advertisement
...i have a bad past about cheats, which forces me to restart from HR4
(999 of every monster killed + 0.01secs of each training = can't show off)
...feeling like killing my brother right now.
Just wondering how that is helpful to the topic of killing elder dragons. And you being a mod should know better than to get off topic.

Post DELETERIZED!
Are you ready to meet GOD?

Thanks for the Avy goes to Tank! Sig by me.
Emiliano Zapata said:It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!

Clicking this is bad for your brains.
thegrayfox Posted at: 16:17 Mar08 2009 Post ID: 2567470
thegrayfox
+
+
heres another way to kill teostra,lunestra i used holy sabers and full kushala armor note:bring imunizer and mega or power juice(you can do it without the juice tho just makes it easyer)

kushala: full normal hermitaur with devil slicer is how i first beat kushala(kushala is weak against thunder so when in the jungle bring lighting rods)but another good set of armor to use on kushala is diablos with wind press decorations

as for chamelaos:i have beat it with a bow before i dont remember what armor i used but if u name a set of armor ill use it against the chameleos

kirin: i have always used full tigrex with hunters bow/hunters power bow

shen georen(fortress)full monodevil with promenice bow 11 i used toadstool to get my health down then set off a small barrel bomb on myself to prevent from healing back up.

lao shun lung(fortress)again full monodevil if i remember right with black cannon i had the stuff with me to make more amo for pierce and i aimed for the head.
thats all i have for the moment hope it helps

« Last edited by thegrayfox on Mar 8th 2009 »

chaosarchangeldragon Posted at: 22:26 Mar08 2009 Post ID: 2567856
chaosarchangeldragon
Forum GuestMember
+
+
Don't Die...lol
Rabidsquire Posted at: 02:33 Mar09 2009 Post ID: 2567961
Rabidsquire
+
+
Btw in freedom 2 (cant remember if it was changed in freedom one or not) lao shan lungs weak spot is his belly which takes about 2x the damage his head does for melee. If you have a bow however you can break his shoulders and continually shoot him in the high area of his back (right where you carve) for maxed damage with cluster shots. Not sure if they shoot fast enough to help but i figure it cant hurt to mention.
master slayer 123 Posted at: 19:24 Mar15 2009 Post ID: 2573598
master slayer 123
+
+
who wants to know my tactic = 3???
mine is as easy as 1,2,3.
1.rush
2.kill it
3. carve it

elder dragons are, unfortunately, overrated and i was kinda depressed after i killed em all in a sinch. Very easy as most of them are too slow to hit you if you are using L.S.
Kusha:lightining is good, but SDS is best
teo/luna: SDS
Chammy: NOT DRAGIN, sheesh, i hate whem ppl say use dragon for chammy.
chammys dragon res -1
chammys fire res - 4
so yea.
alos poison to stop ability, ummm, yea, i dont know what else other than what is already said.
a large part of MH is having a lot of skill, some people are just not good at MH games so yea.
elder dragons are just like any other wyverns. Good luck.
Happeh Huntin!!Thumbs Up
Azure Rathalos Posted at: 11:38 Mar16 2009 Post ID: 2573957
Azure Rathalos
+
+
For Luna/Teo I use Eternal Schism with Kashala armour

For Kashala I use Eternal Schism and Chameleos armour

For Chameleos I use a variaty of weapons and armour (mainly Guild Knight Sabers and Rath soul U)

I know there is G rank kit in there but Eternal Schism isn't to hard to get Thumbs Up
master slayer 123 Posted at: 17:49 Mar16 2009 Post ID: 2574307
master slayer 123
+
+
nah dawg, u need L.S.(oh noes, im starting to obsses wit L.S. agin)
longswords give you some range, if your good enuff that range can be just enuff to stay out of their "aura" that so often pisses me off. alas, im not good enuff, but still, with their large arc-ing attacks the L.S. are usually ur best bet, but again, it all depends on many things, situation, if your in a party, and many other variables, remember that.
Happeh Huntin!!Thumbs Up
Azure Rathalos Posted at: 10:12 Mar18 2009 Post ID: 2575431
Azure Rathalos
+
+
Thats why I use kashala armour, it reduces the damage from teo/luna's aura by an incredable amount, plus when its upgraded kashala armour has a solid defence value, not a bad deal IMO Thumbs Up
Rabidsquire Posted at: 16:05 Mar18 2009 Post ID: 2575573
Rabidsquire
+
+
Ive built a few of the recommended sets in here just to try them out. The armor suggestions work out very well, though I still stick with my earlier mentioned weapon styles for fights. 2 hit stunning teo/luna and 1 hit stunning kusha is nice =P. The elder dragon sets are agreeably better for fighting off most of the skills used by each other. I cant really diss L.S.'s due to the fact of how rarely I use them.... but I know for a fact all m tactics get me by. Also the SLS is a bit overrated in comparison to many of the regular slammers that really are just that good =P. Extreme ease of use combined with hard slamming affects and simple dodging win fights faster imo, and where I come from, 1056 raw (141 dmg on teo's head per charged hit) beats 816 + 300 Dragon element (68 dmg from a double down slash on teo's head), not counting affinities of course which is 15% on siegmund vs 0% on SLS base. Then again I guess thats why you need the monoblos heart and los ruby to make siegmund =P. Tested out the Spartacus blade however and its still 816 Raw (98 dmg on teos head with a charged up hit) which comes out well over the SLS and has a 10% affinity with non G-Rank materials to make. After all the damage formulas are said and done.... Long swords just aren't worth it =P.

Edit: Also I should have included that a multitude of somewhat weaker weapons can be made with more ease then siegmund and still have a huge effect. True dragon jaw (1056 raw dmg base), pale keizah/obelion (912 raw 230 dragon/816 raw 180 dragon respectively), killers scythe (1066 raw dmg) just to name a few that are much easier to obtain the ruby/heart harvesting.

« Last edited by Rabidsquire on Mar 18th 2009 »
master slayer 123 Posted at: 19:20 Mar18 2009 Post ID: 2575857
master slayer 123
+
+
meh, SDS and DD are the best for all BUT chammy.
the onleh problem is that all the weapons and armors i would recomend are from 2G.
anyhoo, you just need the right tactic to kill these guys, and it is difficult to tell people how to kill things in MH,
Happeh Huntin!!Thumbs Up

« Last edited by master slayer 123 on Mar 18th 2009 »
Displaying Page 1 of 2

1 | Last     Next
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth Favourite Forums

Members viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
Smilies, click to use

You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close