Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

SC Teams & Clans RIP

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 3 of 6

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Last     Previous | Next
SomeWhere Posted: 15:13 Aug09 2013 Post ID: 3265683
SomeWhere
Post Likes: 5
+
steelersrock01 said:I think there's a variety of factors that have contributed to the downfall of forums in general and this site's forum in particular.

First is that it's 2013. Nobody really uses forums anymore. They're a relic of the late 1990's and early 2000's. The technology's outdated. We've got all these other sites like Facebook, Twitter, instagram, where you can interact with people you are already friends with. Why would the average person come to a forum full of Internet strangers when they can talk to their real friends? Obviously there are exceptions as most people, like most of us I'm assuming, use forums as a supplement to social media. But for the majority of people interact on those other sites is enough.

Second are the unique problems Supercheats faces in particular. With the advent of Achievements and Trophies cheats kind of went right out the window, besides in rare games like GTA. Now, instead of being able to discuss cheats for games on the forums people can only discuss the games themselves, and there are often much larger communities that focus on those games. It's not Supercheats's fault, that's just how the industry developed. If you look on the Latest posts you can see it clogged full of mobile game forums with people asking for hacks, cheats, and god knows what else. Some of the stuff posted probably isn't even legal.

Rich has tried several things to kind of jumpstart the community, and he's had varying degrees of success, IMO. The biggest of those is guest posting, which is good and bad. Good because it promotes activity on the forums, bad because it isn't exactly the kind of activity we'd like. A thousand posts a day of "100000000 gold plzzz" isn't exactly what we'd like to see. The other thing he's done was cutting down the staff, which I think was a success. Nobody seems to have a problem with any staff members, or at least I haven't been notified of anything.

KingofCorn pointed out that most people here visit solely for cheat codes, and I'm not sure that's true anymore. I think more people now visit for the big game guides and walkthroughs, but obviously I don't have any data on that. Rich has kind of shifted the site away from traditional cheat codes with 3 things: the guides, videos, and wikis. The guides seem to be successful, as we keep getting more of them. Videos and Wikis, not so much. The videos are a nice idea, but there are just so many more places to get the official content that's put up, and I'm not sure many members submit videos. I'm not sure how successful the wikis have been either, as thwy're purpose is to be built by the community, and I don't think the community (or lack thereof) contributes at an optimal level.

Excuse the essay, but this topic comes up a lot and I'd just like to put all my thoughts into one post.

It was thanks to the overhaul of staff in the past that made alot of old members leave. Alot becamse...well let's just say "power hungry" and turned in to major *****. I myself had a problem as well with one of them. So it's nicer but it happened a bit too late, imo, when every started leaving this site they already have had enough about the major overhaul of staff that was on the site.
"Close your mind,
and
Open your heart."
-Swedish House Mafia
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
steelersrock01 Posted: 14:35 Aug11 2013 Post ID: 3266135
steelersrock01
Post Likes: 162
+
qwertyuio said:^And look at you now, an Admin.

How far you've fallen.

;)

Truly a fall from grace.

@SomeWhere - Yeah, no doubt staff as a whole pretty much sucked back then, but I was a part of it so I try to refrain from talking bad about it lol
neptis Posted: 16:43 Aug11 2013 Post ID: 3266172
neptis
retired Moderator
Post Likes: 13
+
@steelers@SomeWhere - Yeah, no doubt staff as a whole pretty much sucked back then, but I was a part of it so I try to refrain from talking bad about it lol
lol mate i was part of it aswell. and althow at the time i was demoted to member agen after over 5 years as staff. i took it hard . and was extremly ****** of. as i thought i was one of the good staf members. b ut now i look back on my run. and mt for want of a beter word . ownership of new members welcome forum.althow it seemed at the start i did a good job after a while and after the years went by. i relised. i was flaging and geting bad. then the rule change came into efect. i relised i was not good atal. but for some reson. i always was a well liked member of the forums. and towards the end. i finaly relised. i was not good whatsoever. my point is i supose. all the bad mods were culled from the list. and this site iss all the beter for it. despite the fact the culled mods like me were well knowen and somewhat liked. and respected. some more than uthers.

if you still cand read my typing. ask for a translation. from a 05 or enny member after that. or just dont read it
Sir Bel-te Amethyst Knight of Welcomes
forum status: retired Moderator
forum: new member welcome forum (2005-2010)(corect me if i got second date wrong)
my coment: i was THE New members welcome forum mod (my opinion :P )
Ulquiorra Schiffer Posted: 23:36 Aug11 2013 Post ID: 3266236
Ulquiorra Schiffer
Post Likes: 10
+
I remember back in like 2010 this place was the **** so to speak, I don't even remember my old username and password since I just thought of this place talking to an old friend 3 years later, by far I was actually kind of disappointed I expected this place to be better than ever, te combination of the general boards definitely makes for less activity but it's significantly better than the 50 mods from before and most of the S-mods were kind of pricks the new staff choices are better and at least I still recognize some users, still missing the old days though.

^Yes, I made this^
Professional Noob Posted: 03:50 Aug12 2013 Post ID: 3266262
Professional Noob
Post Likes: 4
+
50 mods? lol when i joine there where about 317.
RIP SC
Ulquiorra Schiffer Posted: 15:12 Aug12 2013 Post ID: 3266359
Ulquiorra Schiffer
+
That would make sense considering they had 1-3 mods for every general board and there was like 5 Hub mods so I'd say Rich made better choices now but then again I'm 15 now and most of the people that were here when I left last time when I was 13 were anywhere from 15-17 so most of them are adults now with college and work I wouldn't have time to talk to teenagers on this site either. This place used to be so popular my entire life was so occupied by this place I had to leave just to reconnect with reality, if only we had that type of activity again but then again I find sites like Facebook and DeviantART seem to be the new SC Forums are just dead I suppose, they're more useful for help nowadays versus just general chat but then again I'm one of those weirdos who meet all their friends online, so what, shoot me, I mean obviously we're all here for social interaction or we wouldn't be reminiscing about good times xD

^Yes, I made this^
neptis Posted: 15:19 Aug12 2013 Post ID: 3266361
neptis
retired Moderator
Post Likes: 13
+
qho the frel are you mate. i dont reconise your posting style.
but i think the reson it got and still is so slow shall we say. is that all the members from my time and a fue years after it. basicly left, fule stop. and allot of the popular members left. but a fair fue are comeing back. so posably the good time might come back
Sir Bel-te Amethyst Knight of Welcomes
forum status: retired Moderator
forum: new member welcome forum (2005-2010)(corect me if i got second date wrong)
my coment: i was THE New members welcome forum mod (my opinion :P )
Ulquiorra Schiffer Posted: 15:34 Aug12 2013 Post ID: 3266364
Ulquiorra Schiffer
+
I have changed a lot in three years considering I bettered my grammar and spelling tenfold even though I'm typing with an on-screen keyboard. I remember you had returned just before I left, if I recall correctly you were a long time Moderator for the forums. Some of the people I recognize here are definitely the ones who were pretty active in the old days some made huge jumps from mods to admins but I like Rich's choice with the new staff, they're a lot less of pricks than in the old days, hell if we just get more actual new members not bots and the one post idiots "I NEED A CHEAT CODE FOR *Insert game here*" and they don't even respond to their own sub, they probably forgot they even posted here, damn shame, this place has a good outlook if we get the right boost in regular visitors

^Yes, I made this^
KingofCorn Posted: 23:14 Aug12 2013 Post ID: 3266452
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
Post Likes: 615
+
Seems I found this website as a sinking but savable ship.
Ulquiorra Schiffer Posted: 23:22 Aug12 2013 Post ID: 3266456
Ulquiorra Schiffer
+
A very strong observation from the hypnotoad xD But in all seriousness all this site really needs is another 30-40 regular visitors to kick-start this place

^Yes, I made this^
KingofCorn Posted: 23:57 Aug12 2013 Post ID: 3266468
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
+
too bad I only have 6 alternate personalities jk
Ulquiorra Schiffer Posted: 00:23 Aug13 2013 Post ID: 3266499
Ulquiorra Schiffer
+
I've actually seen that before where the root admins talk to eachother across like 10 regular accounts to encourage people to join xD

^Yes, I made this^
KingofCorn Posted: 01:07 Aug13 2013 Post ID: 3266524
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
+
Now that just seems like cheating lol

« Last edited by KingofCorn on Aug 13th 2013 »
Ulquiorra Schiffer Posted: 01:09 Aug13 2013 Post ID: 3266527
Ulquiorra Schiffer
+
Well it's self promotion, a marketing tactic, nobody wants to join a forum where the only other members are the root admins xD

^Yes, I made this^
KingofCorn Posted: 01:35 Aug13 2013 Post ID: 3266545
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
+
Well the main problem I see with this site is that everyone thinks this site is only good for GTA San Andreas cheats.
Ulquiorra Schiffer Posted: 01:41 Aug13 2013 Post ID: 3266549
Ulquiorra Schiffer
+
That's the biggest problem is the one post users who are too lazy to look up the actual cheat and want to waste a username and their time to wait however long it takes one of us to respond

^Yes, I made this^
KingofCorn Posted: 01:44 Aug13 2013 Post ID: 3266552
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
+
Everyone I refer Super Cheats to says "What it this GTA San Andreas?"
Ulquiorra Schiffer Posted: 01:52 Aug13 2013 Post ID: 3266556
Ulquiorra Schiffer
+
I don't understand why San Andreas since there's like 3 GTA's newer than it. Probably more readily available via The Pirate Bay

^Yes, I made this^
KingofCorn Posted: 02:17 Aug13 2013 Post ID: 3266561
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
+
Well it's the association with that time period of gaming
Dark Breloom Posted: 23:02 Aug14 2013 Post ID: 3267170
Dark Breloom
Post Likes: 95
+
Teams was cool, and then roleplaying started, and it sucked.
Displaying Page 3 of 6

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Last     Previous | Next
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close