Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

Short & Meaningful Stories

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 7 of 8

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Last     Previous | Next
nightmare2 Posted: 15:34 Apr06 2014 Post ID: 3314884
nightmare2
Lord of Nightmares
Post Likes: 41
+
Nope, KoC was right when he guessed what the next story will be about.
Ants Religion

« Last edited by nightmare2 on Apr 6th 2014 »
Sir Adam of Peridot Nightmares

Go visit the Fan Fiction and Role Playing Forum and check out what is there maybe you will see something of interest and feel free to stay and have a cup of -insert beverage of choice here- and some cookies. It's on the house! Well it would be if I had a house...
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
Matt77 Posted: 19:02 Apr06 2014 Post ID: 3314930
Matt77
The Chosen One
Post Likes: 275
+
Well, KoC isn't going to be happy with this story.

ViolinViolinViolin
~ Sometimes people change, but sometimes you just open your eyes & realise who they truly are ~

Warrior13 said:I realized Matt is the Chosen One of SC.

Credits to KingofCorn for the awesome avatar!
KingofCorn Posted: 20:20 Apr06 2014 Post ID: 3314944
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
Post Likes: 615
+
Ha score one for KOC!
nightmare2 Posted: 22:06 Apr08 2014 Post ID: 3315334
nightmare2
Lord of Nightmares
+
Well KoC was right, however I have hit writer's block with that story. So I have decided to leave that one for later and instead am moving on to this one. This one isn't complete, actually it is parts of the full story. But I figure you don't need all of it.
--------------------------------------------------------
2015 - The discovery of the source by a single person.
2016 - The introduction of the source. The source was a small golden orb about the size of a basketball. The discoverer of the source showed it to the entire world and said, "I hold in my hands infinite power with the only drawback being it can only be used once for a single purpose."
2017 - The discoverer proposed a solution to the question, "What to do with this power?" The answer came in the form of a conference between the discoverer and a select few people.
2018 - After much work the conference finally began....

The conference was beginning, the select few people who had been invited to attend and get the chance to obtain and use the 'power' were all taking their seats. They all sat on one side of a long curved table, shaped like a semi-circle with a hollow center, with the wall next to the ends of the tables. The table was curved enough to allow everyone to be able to see each other. On the other side of the table a few feet away was a small desk, which was situated in front of a small indented area of the wall. An aerial view of the conference room would be a large rectangle but at the center of one of the longer sides was a small upside-down V or U, the top part of the bump being flat and parallel to the walls of the main room while the two walls connecting the room to the larger room were slanted. Within that indented area was a large pedestal, floating atop was the 'power' and bordering the indented area and the main room was a small desk. Similar to how everyone at the curved table could see each other clearly the occupant of the desk could also see everyone else and they all could see the occupant of the desk.

Currently the Discoverer of the Source was sitting at the desk waiting for all the visitors to take their seats before beginning the conference. When all the visitors had finally taken their seats the Discoverer addressed them, "It is a pleasure to be able to meet all of you and to be able to hold this meeting which I hope will allow me to make the choice of who to give this power to.... Upon discovery and refinement of it I found myself unable to choose what exactly I should use it for. This 'Power' is infinitely powerful but I have discovered that it is not absolute because it can only be used once and it can't only be used for one thing. Another drawback is this 'Power' is not intelligent which simply means it must be used simply. That being said of course it is up to you, whoever I choose, to make use of it in any way that you want and are able to within it's own limitations."

The Discoverer looks around at those present starting at the left end of the table; Scientist, Priest, General, Politician, Reporter, Criminal, Business Person, Doctor, Teacher, Student, and Child.

"So tell me Priest, if I gave it to you what would you do with it?"

"I would use it to spread God's word throughout the world, to everyone, I would use it to spread God's teachings and to show everyone the truth." replied the Priest.

"Lies. You would spread nothing but lies. To use it for such a purpose would be a waste." said the Scientist, "The truth is in science, evolution."

"Nonsense. Evolution is a lie. Everything was created by God! Evolution does not exist!" Shot back the Priest.

"Now now calm down. You have given me your answer is there anything you would like to add?" The Discoverer interrupted.

"No, I would use it to educate the uneducated on the true truth."

"I would use it to cure everything, no more cancer or diabetes. I am not entirely sure how I would do it yet but as a doctor it would only be obvious that I use it to save lives and get rid of diseases of all kinds. I would have to do more research on how to achieve this but I know that I would use it to rid the world of diseases."

"Money. I would use it to become rich. Money makes the world go round and with money I can do anything. I could both start and end wars. I would simply manifest it in a way so that I could get enough money for lifetimes!"

"Hmmm... this conference has been very helpful. After listening to all of you I have finally come to a decision, after careful consideration of course. I choose to give the 'Source of Power' to....

The General
2018 - The Discoverer chose to give the 'Source of Power' to the General after careful consideration.
2019 - The General manifest's the 'power' in the form of the greatest weapon the world has ever seen, able to take Australia off the map if used.
2020 - All wars end. All conflicts end. All nations with oppressive leaders are liberated.
-------------
2021 - Peace, world wide peace. All nations united into one single nation. One single language, all other languages were 'abolished' as were the majority of cultures and traditions.
-------------
2021 - War, world wide war. Every nation fighting each other. The greatest weapon used up, millions dead, anarchy rampant.

The Business Person
2018 - The Discoverer chose to give the 'Source of Power' to the Business Person after careful consideration.
2019 - The Business Person manifests the 'Power' in the form of persuasion.
2020 - The Business Person's company rises to the top, making trillions. Every form of advertisement is 100% successful.
---------
2021 - Business Person's company makes trillions, integrates and buys up other companies. Minimum wages around the world raised, the company gains massive political influence. Provides hundreds of thousands of jobs world-wide. Stimulates and regulates the economy, builds communities and funds important research.
---------
2021 - Business Person's company makes trillions, monopolizes everything that it can. All competitors are crush, hundreds of thousands of jobs lost, economy tanks, poverty rampant, crime rate jumps up. Company gains massive political influence, tyrants rise to power all over.

2) What are some of the positive outcomes?
3) Negative outcomes?
4) Moral or purpose of the story?
5) Other interesting things you noticed while reading the story?

Go visit the Fan Fiction and Role Playing Forum and check out what is there maybe you will see something of interest and feel free to stay and have a cup of -insert beverage of choice here- and some cookies. It's on the house! Well it would be if I had a house...
KingofCorn Posted: 23:29 Apr08 2014 Post ID: 3315345
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
+
1) I would use the power to destroy the power. No one person should have too much power.

2) Positive? Well there are some ways it could be used positively. You could use it to make clean water available to everyone on earth but water filtration companies would go out of business. You could use it to make medical care available to everyone but then people would abuse the system. For every positive there are negatives.

3) Negative? Well even the existence of that kind of power would cause an all out war among the countries who don't have that power.

4) It is extremely important to give every detail to a conference room.jk I think the moral is "With great power comes great responsibility" #UncleBen

5) Well for one the discoverer would have no say whatsoever. The government would take control of the power. The UN would not allow the existence of such a weapon (for example it is illegal to build a "satellite laser weapon" aka the Star Wars Weapon from the Cold War). They probably wouldn't even allow the existence of the power to lie in the hands of a single individual or country. The UN works very hard to make sure that the Balance of Power is maintained. The most likely scenario is that the UN would take a vote on the power's use. It's decision would be something along the lines of solving global warning, creating an alternate energy source, crowning me as Supreme Overlord, inhabiting another planet, etc..
Novus Posted: 06:28 Apr09 2014 Post ID: 3315366
Novus
Post Likes: 72
+
4) Moral or purpose of the story?

To me, it's a mix of two/three different things.
The phrase "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."
The phrase "History repeats itself."
And the general idea that... 'human conscience' always takes over. We may try to live in peace and whatnot, but eventually, someone is going to get greedy or angry or what have you, and ruin whatever 'good thing' is going on.
KingofCorn Posted: 10:29 Apr09 2014 Post ID: 3315380
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
+
That's why those societies based 100% around peace always fail. I forget what they're called.
nightmare2 Posted: 14:35 Apr09 2014 Post ID: 3315413
nightmare2
Lord of Nightmares
+
Utopias would be what they are trying to get but I believe you mean dystopia.

Also for question 5, KoC, your misinterpreted my question. I meant while you wre reading the story are there any details that you noticed that were interesting? Like how certain things were written.
However the answer you did give was very good. For this situation it was/is assumed that the person who discovered it made it so this power couldn't be taken away but had to be fully willingly given away. So the government wouldn't be able to confiscate it. But in real life what you said is 100% true. Any great power discovered would immediately be confiscated by the local government.

Question 1 is pretty simple, what would you.
For questions 2 & 3 however I want you to think about what positive and negative outcomes would come from it. From the perspective of the person using it, for themselves or others but then also how it could backfire. Backfiring meaning they hadn't even intended for a certain something to happen. My best way to explain this would be the "Ripple Effect".
Question 4 is pretty open, when I wrote this story what do you think I was trying to get across and of course the moral in your opinion.
Question 5; Details within the story, how it is written, that you found interesting. There are actually to major details that I am hoping someone will notice.

KingofCorn Posted: 15:43 Apr09 2014 Post ID: 3315430
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
+
1) If I was given use of this power I would use it make an Animus. Because why not?

2) Positive? It would revolutionize the study of history. We could learn soo much. Also assassins.

3) Negative? I'm sure some ******* would try to use it for evil.

4)The moral is still unclear to me.

5) How come you only told us what the Business man and the General would do?
nightmare2 Posted: 15:39 Apr11 2014 Post ID: 3315694
nightmare2
Lord of Nightmares
+
Response to KoC's Answers:
1) Nice choice
2)It certainly would
3) Pfft the assassins would handle them
4) Well the moral is your opinion the purpose was what I was going for. Basically my purpose was to say that no matter how good your intentions may be there will always be both negative and positive unintended consequences. Also to push stereotypes, the General chose war and the business person money.
5) I have more I just felt like it would be too long to put the entire story in and it also would be unnecessary for this thread since I would only need one or two of the people to get the point across.

Novus said:4) Moral or purpose of the story?

To me, it's a mix of two/three different things.
The phrase "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."
The phrase "History repeats itself."
And the general idea that... 'human conscience' always takes over. We may try to live in peace and whatnot, but eventually, someone is going to get greedy or angry or what have you, and ruin whatever 'good thing' is going on.

I agree with the first phrase "The road to hell is paved with good intentions"
While some of the people may have had good intentions in the beginning things went wrong. When writing that I actually choice the best and worst outcomes and gave them. However intentions were not entirely clear so it is possible the General meant for peace and the end of wars or he meant for a raging war. I also definitely agree with the 'human conscience'
The history repeats itself, not so much. I didn't have history in mind when writing this so there is that. however I think it is a true idea.

And finally this....
Other interesting things you noticed while reading the story?

Since neither of you seemed to get this, probably worded it wrong, I will give away one of the two interesting things.
Scientist, Priest, General, Politician, Reporter, Criminal, Business Person, Doctor, Teacher, Student, and Child.

Order matters.

KingofCorn Posted: 20:59 Apr11 2014 Post ID: 3315721
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
+
What's so special with that order?
Novus Posted: 00:25 Apr12 2014 Post ID: 3315766
Novus
+
Nightmare said:The history repeats itself, not so much. I didn't have history in mind when writing this so there is that. however I think it is a true idea.

Well, don't mean the literal sense of 'history repeats itself.'
More like... After we have a time of peace for so long, eventually someone in some country is going to rise up and start a conflict. The same general event happens again.
KingofCorn Posted: 00:42 Apr12 2014 Post ID: 3315783
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
+
I would mention the Bible but...
Novus Posted: 01:00 Apr12 2014 Post ID: 3315796
Novus
+
Well. It'd be more relevant than that post was.
KingofCorn Posted: 01:03 Apr12 2014 Post ID: 3315799
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
+
Correct me if I'm wrong but if I remember the Bible says something about a time of peace before the end of the world.
Novus Posted: 01:06 Apr12 2014 Post ID: 3315802
Novus
+
It's an example of what I just said. There is peace, people get bored or crazy or whatever, and then someone starts a war again.
KingofCorn Posted: 01:10 Apr12 2014 Post ID: 3315807
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
+
Well the final war.
Novus Posted: 01:16 Apr12 2014 Post ID: 3315810
Novus
+
Okay? War is war.
nightmare2 Posted: 14:53 Apr12 2014 Post ID: 3315886
nightmare2
Lord of Nightmares
+
nightmare2 said:
Scientist, Priest, General, Politician, Reporter, Criminal, Business Person, Doctor, Teacher, Student, and Child.

Order matters.

KingofCorn said:What's so special with that order?

Just look at who is placed next to who. This is pretty much what the list is; science, religion, war, politics, news, crime, money, health, education, learner, innocent and unlearned.
So yes order does matter just notice what is next to what.

KingofCorn Posted: 15:06 Apr12 2014 Post ID: 3315898
KingofCorn
Avoid the Noid.
+
It didn't occur to me.
Displaying Page 7 of 8

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Last     Previous | Next
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close