Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.
Pokemon Heart Gold

Birthday Present for my 7yr old nephew.

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth Favourite Forums

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 1 of 1

sphynxx Posted at: 08:09 Mar18 2010 Post ID: 2816060
sphynxx
.:I Am What You Fear Most:.
Post Likes: 102
+
+
Right, firstly, let me apologise for probably posting this in the wrong place, with all the pokemon versions I just didn't know where to post lol

Well, I have a 7yr old nephew - his birthday is in 3 days, I'm looking to get him either HG or SS. I have Platinum & a DS - which, after I wipe my save from Platinum, will be giving them both to him as well.

Questions are; What are the differences between HG & SS in terms of pokemon availibility & gameplay diferences.

Which one you guys personally think I should buy him.

I've played almost all of the games (the core games at least - red, blue, yellow, gold, silver, ruby, sapphire, diamond, pearl, platinum) so I know how to play & can teach him the basics (these'l be his first - he loves the card game & anime) Obviously we wont be going for WiFi battles & not worrying about EV & IV training & breeding for natures & all that rubbish (which I don't understand anyway lol) so any advice would be of great help.

Normally, I'd fork out the cash to get him his own DS, his own HG and SS - but I'm extremely strapped for cash so getting both, which was my first plan, is out of the question.

cheers for anyone that answers.

<3 to Craizen for the Avatar & TheLlama for the Signature.

"Forever in this heart of mine, an everlasting bond. From now until the end of time, are memories so fond."

Juli said:I am officially a Sphynx fangirl. C:
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
Forgoten_Scars Posted at: 08:35 Mar18 2010 Post ID: 2816066
Forgoten_Scars
Orbis terrarum est mei
Post Likes: 28
+
+
As with all Pokemon games like this, there aren't many differences. I think it's just the Ho-oh/Lugia thing... could be wrong seeing as I've yet to play the game. If you want my opinion, go for SoulSilver.
sphynxx Posted at: 08:41 Mar18 2010 Post ID: 2816069
sphynxx
+
+
Cheers Scars.

My main concern/interest (depends on how you view the games) is mainly if there are any differences in Pokemon between the two - I know that there are usually some game specific pokemon & wanted know if anyone could point me towards a list of which is on which game, and which is isn't.

I've found a list of all of them that are on both - but it didn't contain any that are solely on one, not the other (if there are any differences anyway)

Only reason I ask, is so I can quickly go over the list & make the choice based on which pokemon are in which one, as my nephew has his favourites & so that'l largely influence my choice - as well as my own experience from playing Silver (which was a LONG time ago - and I can't remember much about the game lol)

"Forever in this heart of mine, an everlasting bond. From now until the end of time, are memories so fond."

Ninetailed Fox Posted at: 08:49 Mar18 2010 Post ID: 2816070
Ninetailed Fox
Kitsune
Post Likes: 6
+
+
Well both games are pretty much the same. Like with all pokemon games there are different pokemon to be caught on each version.

HG only pokemon. - SS only pokemon.
Mankey - Vulpix
Primeape - Ninetales
Growlithe - Meowth
Arcanine - Persian
Spinarak - Ledyba
Ariados - Ledian
Gligar - Teddiursa
Mantine - Ursaring
Phanpy - Delibird
Donphan - Skarmory
Sableye - Mawile
Baltoy - Gulpin
Claydol - Swalot
Kyogre - Groudon
Mantyke
Gliscor

You can get Ho-oh and Lugia in both games.

I would just go with the game with the most pokemon you think your nephew likes.

« Last edited by Ninetailed Fox on Mar 18th 2010 »

"Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend."
abarai71 Posted at: 18:36 Mar18 2010 Post ID: 2816272
abarai71
Post Likes: 0
+
+
am i wrong but i think growlithe is on SS bc i used to get him on silver so shouldnt it be the same?
sphynxx Posted at: 19:45 Mar18 2010 Post ID: 2816301
sphynxx
+
+
Hey cheers Ninetailed Fox

It seems HG has the ones that he likes on it. Although he does love skarmory - I think he can live without that as Skarmory is in Platinum anyway so he'll be happy.

Hey, quick side note;

Anyone know if we can trade/import from Platinum to HG/SS the pokemon that are on Platinum that were on Silver/Gold??

coachcline Posted at: 20:54 Mar18 2010 Post ID: 2816328
coachcline
Just call me Coach
Post Likes: 1
+
+
That last question makes no sense at all, what do you mean?

Imo it doesn't really matter. Both versions have their differences, mostly in the exclusives department. So if I were you I'd get a pic of Ho-oh & Lugia, show them to him & ask him which Pokemon he likes best. Whichever one he chooses, go with the respective version. Or just flip a coin. A kid at his age would buy a game based on the box anyway & probably doesn't give jack about exclusives, he probably wouldn't notice them anyway.

But I'd just flip a coin, simple & easy.

Siggy proudly brought to you by .Impact!
[insert random quote or phrase that makes the sig space look less bare]
Ryuujin Posted at: 21:29 Mar18 2010 Post ID: 2816349
Ryuujin
Post Likes: 0
+
+
Go with what Coach said. And if you were asking if Sinnoh and Johto could trade, then your answer is yes.
~ My Theme ~
Aether13 Posted at: 21:31 Mar18 2010 Post ID: 2816350
Aether13
Post Likes: 1
+
+
I guessing what he is asking is if you can trade pokemon between Platinum and HG/SS the answer is yes, I agree with Coach it honestly won't matter expect version exclusives which aren't that big of a difference

Veenis made teh siggy :D
Heart Gold FC: 5242 6951 2898
Also if you want to go to PXE click this link...DO IT!
sphynxx Posted at: 22:14 Mar18 2010 Post ID: 2816358
sphynxx
+
+
To those that say flip a coin; Honestly - my nephew maybe be 7 - but hes pretty intelligent & knows his favourite pokemon - he isn't one to be lured in by pretty packaging.

which is why I asked if anyone knew the exclusives, because I know his favourites, so I could see which ones were on which games, so I could make the choice.

But thanks for everyone that answered, I've made my choice.

Displaying Page 1 of 1

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth Favourite Forums

Members viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close