Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

SuperCheats History - Missed Bits

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 2 of 2

1 | Last     Previous
Volke Posted: 09:36 Mar13 2011 Post ID: 2974195
Volke
Executioner
Post Likes: 33
+
Another thread featuring people whinging about how much better SuperCheats used to be. They pop up every so often.

I wouldn't write off the new Stats page just yet. I remember Rich telling me all the Top 50 pages will return at some point. Just probably in several years, by my prediction. But the wait will be worth it...

I don't think the forums are any less boring than they used to be in 04/05. We just have an older community these days. Back in 04, the average age was 13 and every other member was secretly underage, whereas now the average age is probably something like 16 or 17 and underage members are hunted down and banned at the drop of a hat. It has an effect on the topics and discussion too - some topics exist that don't interested us, but probably would have if we were younger. Plus, our interests are more mature.

Perhaps you'll understand it better in this sense: A bunch of people around 13 start posting in 04. Some leave, but others stay. The ones that stay become the root of the community, familiar 'faces' that everyone knows and are established as regulars. These members that stay grow older, thus the average age of the 'regulars' becomes older. Younger new members begin to feel less at home (the new Teams and Clans seems to have attracted them. Who knows? Maybe that'll head the same way) and older new members feel they fit in more easily. You see where I'm going? Now there are only (if I'm not mistaken) seven members who were active on the forums in 04 left - Rich, Dennis, Cross Stinger, CurryMonster, Testvirus101, Jirachi X and, of course, myself. We're all 18+, and all Super Mods or Admins.

Communities change with time. The internet is no different. We're just a somewhat older and mature in general, these days. The forums are certainly not dying.

It seems I have discovered the answer that has been plaguing members for, what, two years? I knew it all along, but couldn't really say anything if I wanted to keep the whole Volke thing up.
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
Xeta Posted: 11:06 Mar13 2011 Post ID: 2974220
Xeta
Beneta
Post Likes: 79
+
To be honest Volke, I don't think anyone thought that was a mystery. 

Of course I liked the site better in 06, I was 12. I'm 17 now, and a lot of the new members are younger, I don't find find what they find funny or interesting funny or interesting. So obviously I'm going to like the old days better. 

It's like the same science in school. You're a freshman. Whatever. Next year, you hate freshman. Next year, you hate sophomores and freshmen. Next year, you hate juniors, sophomores and freshmen. Next year, you hate high schoolers etc...

It's no mystery of why people liked it better before. I think you're just the "first person to come to the discovery" because no one felt like writing it out before.

It's the same thing as "If I climb this mountain, I will probably be tired." I knew that, but why go through the time and effort of climbing it to prove something somewhat obvious.

So congratulations, you're a scientist.
ozzo said:xeta actually makes a lot of sense most of the time

if everyone agreed with him more often we wouldnt have this problem
Vasco Posted: 12:19 Mar13 2011 Post ID: 2974244
Vasco
MOE MOE KYUUUUUN
Post Likes: 7
+
I miss the good old days when we didn't have MVP Competitions.

againstall has invaded

BECKY = 10/10
v-gamer Posted: 12:32 Mar13 2011 Post ID: 2974255
v-gamer
y so srs?
Post Likes: 4
+
^^ haha

It brings up some activity, though I personally prefer a community where I can chill.

And inb4 Derek and Teams: I want to chill in the forums. Not compete for posts. :P

Although I guess that's what made posting in the Forums Games so much fun back in 2007/2008, while every other member was so annoyed with me. Now, every other member is so annoyed with the forum as a whole. I'm sure the people posting there are having fun. However, I almost do wish there were an easier way to filter out specific forums in the Latest Posts.

That's my ranting, though.
Avatar: In memory of ieatwyverns <3

Thank you, Vasco <3
Craizen Posted: 12:56 Mar13 2011 Post ID: 2974269
Craizen
A'ight
Post Likes: 66
+
07 was great year. Yeah, I know the community is chaging, but what bugs is it takes activity with it. Rich, have you been reading? You should put the old White skin back up/ And give me dark blue while your at it :P

I love the improvements, but yeah it's just different now.
geezerguy Posted: 14:42 Mar13 2011 Post ID: 2974299
geezerguy
Jailbait / Lukie
Post Likes: 43
+
Xeta said:To be honest Volke, I don't think anyone thought that was a mystery. 

Of course I liked the site better in 06, I was 12. I'm 17 now, and a lot of the new members are younger, I don't find find what they find funny or interesting funny or interesting. So obviously I'm going to like the old days better. 

It's like the same science in school. You're a freshman. Whatever. Next year, you hate freshman. Next year, you hate sophomores and freshmen. Next year, you hate juniors, sophomores and freshmen. Next year, you hate high schoolers etc...

It's no mystery of why people liked it better before. I think you're just the "first person to come to the discovery" because no one felt like writing it out before.

It's the same thing as "If I climb this mountain, I will probably be tired." I knew that, but why go through the time and effort of climbing it to prove something somewhat obvious.

So congratulations, you're a scientist.

Exactly what I was thinking :P

and Volke noone's whinging really, we're just reminiscing.
Winner of Member Brawl 2011 <3
TheLlama Posted: 16:06 Mar13 2011 Post ID: 2974318
TheLlama
Post Likes: 0
+
That archive doesn't go back far enough for me as it was 2004 when I left SC and GU, I think the forums had only recently been upgraded to vB boards at that time but the forum features don't really bother me just would be nice to speak to some of the members from back then like Oblivion Knight, Cerberus or Jane.
Animefreak Posted: 19:06 Mar13 2011 Post ID: 2974411
Animefreak
The Doctor
Post Likes: 3
+
Hey guys, you say history?
Yes.
sphynxx Posted: 19:09 Mar13 2011 Post ID: 2974413
sphynxx
.:I Am What You Fear Most:.
Post Likes: 102
+
omg who are you?!? haha

Seriously though, I don't think I've ever seen you around. lol

<3 to Craizen for the Avatar & TheLlama for the Signature.

"Forever in this heart of mine, an everlasting bond. From now until the end of time, are memories so fond."

Juli said:I am officially a Sphynx fangirl. C:
Wizmo Gizmo Posted: 19:18 Mar13 2011 Post ID: 2974420
Wizmo Gizmo
+
Animefreak said:Hey guys, you say history?

Chase. <3

The forums were more active in 2005-2007, so I would generally say that they were, in fact, less boring. The site has changed, mostly for the better, but many of the old time users have seen their old friends leave the site, which is obviously disheartening to many of them.

There are many site features added since then that have made it more user-friendly, but for older members, the memories of the site when they first joined can never be replaced. We look back on them through a filter of nostalgia.
therapper Posted: 19:21 Mar13 2011 Post ID: 2974424
therapper
+
i miss alot of the older members.... lol the thing i don't miss is my trebal spelling as posting alot on here has helped me improve

05/06 hall of famer

RIP Proof
RIP tu Pac

2 of the best rappers ever

cred to v-gamer for the avatar
TheLandofDerrick Posted: 19:25 Mar13 2011 Post ID: 2974427
TheLandofDerri
ck
+
I missed Derrick. He was too funny.
http://www.thederrick.com/
Displaying Page 2 of 2

1 | Last     Previous
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close