Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

"Family means more to relgious people then non-religious people"

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 1 of 1

Will d (mr ramdom) Posted: 16:53 Jun11 2011 Post ID: 3017434
Will d (mr ramdom)
*Insert witty title here*
Post Likes: 4
+
"Family means more to religious people then non-religious people"

I was asked whether or not I agreed with this statement in a recent R.E. (Religious Education) test.
Now, I assumed that this question was referring to a relgion that believes in some sort of deity, not Atheism.

Now, being a proud Atheist/Nihilist, I despised whoever said that in the first place with a burning passion. Family is the most important thing in my life, and I think that's an extremly dumb and arrogant thing to say; so, of course, I said that I disagree.

But what do you all thing? Agree, or disagree?

« Last edited by Will d (mr ramdom) on Jun 12th 2011 »

^Sig by SG^

My Team. It's amazing.

Contact me at: [email protected]
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
sphynxx Posted: 17:08 Jun11 2011 Post ID: 3017450
sphynxx
.:I Am What You Fear Most:.
Post Likes: 102
+
Honestly, whoever came up with that line is a total moron.

The importance a person places on their family is not tied to their belief system. I know many Christians, Jews, Buddhists etc who have no contact whatsoever with their family because they share differing belief systems. Most of the time, those same people are happy to be out of their family because they do not have to be subjected to pressure and judgement for not adhering to the "family beliefs".

I'm an Atheist. Perhaps leaning more to Agnostic these days and Family is the most important thing to me. My goal in life is not to make three zillion dollars, sleep with 156639 woman and own 53 supercars.

It's merely to start, and provide for, my own family whilst caring for the family I was raised with.

But since I'm "non-religious" I obviously don't care as much as the Child-molester Pastor in Ireland or something.

<3 to Craizen for the Avatar & TheLlama for the Signature.

"Forever in this heart of mine, an everlasting bond. From now until the end of time, are memories so fond."

Juli said:I am officially a Sphynx fangirl. C:
kazualsk8r Posted: 17:19 Jun11 2011 Post ID: 3017459
kazualsk8r
aka Oatmeal
Post Likes: 3
+
I think you would be hard pressed to find someone on the 'agree' side of this argument. The Christian Church has the same or higher divorce rate as the rest of society. I personally know of homes that you would call 'religious' that are as broken as any other. On the flip side, I'll reference Eminem. He isn't what I'd call religious, but cares for his family. And it's not that I'm not religious, but that I disagree.
Rip Betty white
super craig Posted: 18:43 Jun11 2011 Post ID: 3017512
super craig
Post Likes: 1
+
I'm an Atheist. Perhaps leaning more to Agnostic these days and Family is the most important thing to me. My goal in life is not to make three zillion dollars, sleep with 156639 woman and own 53 supercars.

Awww, now you've gone and me feel all shallow and superficial, I still need to buy 2 more cars but hey 2 out of 3 and all that Smile

Not a lot more I can add that hasn't already being said. Family perhaps matters more to religious people from the perspective of having to be married to have kids etc, but to say that it means more to them is frankly, well, rubbish. Family is important to a lot of people from all walks of life, religious or not.

Just out of pure curiousity when you answered the test question I assume you had to back up your answer, if you just had to agree/diagree then I wish my RE test had been like that.

« Last edited by super craig on Jun 11th 2011 »
Let me be the first to congratulate you on witnessing pure perfection!

Will d (mr ramdom) Posted: 08:41 Jun12 2011 Post ID: 3017729
Will d (mr ramdom)
+
super craig said:Just out of pure curiousity when you answered the test question I assume you had to back up your answer, if you just had to agree/diagree then I wish my RE test had been like that.

Yeah, I had to back it up.

I think the reason that some "religious" people think this is properly because they think all "non-religious" people just sleep around with no feelings or regard for family or anyone else.

Ridiculous, or course. Just because "non-religious" people aren't raised worshiping the air doesn't mean they have no concept of feeling or family.

As Sphynxx said, all I want is to care for my own family.

^Sig by SG^

My Team. It's amazing.

BURNOUTFREAK Posted: 15:23 Jun12 2011 Post ID: 3017967
BURNOUTFREAK
edgy
Post Likes: 97
+
Depends on the type of person you are...
Will d (mr ramdom) Posted: 15:39 Jun12 2011 Post ID: 3017980
Will d (mr ramdom)
+
BURNOUTFREAK said:Depends on the type of person you are...

Sorry, I'm a bit confused...
What did you mean by that?

^Sig by SG^

My Team. It's amazing.

BURNOUTFREAK Posted: 15:54 Jun12 2011 Post ID: 3017992
BURNOUTFREAK
edgy
Post Likes: 97
+
If you're an Atheist that cares for your family then family means a lot to you and if you're a Christian that doesn't care about family, then it's about the type of person you are, not your beliefs.

Man I wish we had Religious Education here :( Must be the easiest subject ever.
Lady autumn dove Posted: 16:48 Jun12 2011 Post ID: 3018054
Lady autumn dove
Cluckcluckcluck.
Post Likes: 39
+
I think it doesn't matter what you consider your faith. We are all human so,How did they come up with this? I have atheist friends but it just doesn't matter. I Love them! I care about my family and strangers and I know they do to. Who ever point that saying,honestly...Beggit
nightmare2 Posted: 22:41 Jun15 2011 Post ID: 3021594
nightmare2
Lord of Nightmares
Post Likes: 41
+
Disagree. Even though as an Atheist I don't care for my family. That statement is wrong, how much people care about their family depends on their personality. I can sorta see where that person is coming from because most religions do have a lot on family. Such as love them, honor them, ect... so religious people would probably have family at a higher value than those without a religion. But in the end it doesn't matter.

Statement be wrong. Religion plays no part on how much a person values their family.
Sir Adam of Peridot Nightmares

Go visit the Fan Fiction and Role Playing Forum and check out what is there maybe you will see something of interest and feel free to stay and have a cup of -insert beverage of choice here- and some cookies. It's on the house! Well it would be if I had a house...
Keyblade21 Posted: 02:19 Aug23 2011 Post ID: 3056123
Keyblade21
Post Likes: 323
+
I think family does mean a little more to religious people. Christians believe in an afterlife of heaven and hell, and they are taught to treat their family the best because they will always be there, but friends will come and go.

Personally i have no religion. Im not atheist, i believe in god, but i have no religion. There are so many that not a single one could be completely true.

I was personally taught, that i should treat my family better than friends because i'll always have my family, but my friends will go away. I dont treat one better than the other, i believe they are equally important in life. My personal opinion.

Avy & Sig credits go to Hurricane0

Want to join in the chat? Head over to General Chat
bigman113 Posted: 04:33 Nov16 2017 Post ID: 3438914
bigman113
Forum GuestMember
Post Likes: 2
+
brahh you stupid

"what do you thing"
"thing??"
"THING????"
i made a new account just to point out this.
you stupid
"THING??"
SaluteShameNot TalkingRock
Matt77 Posted: 05:24 Nov16 2017 Post ID: 3438915
Matt77
The Chosen One
Post Likes: 275
+
Looooooool. And thanks for bumping an old thread that new members can now post in too.

I disagree with the statement in the OP. I'm guessing whoever said it thought of the fact religious people often spend time with their families at church. Religious and non-religious I think would value family exactly the same. Besides, you could argue against it, and say atheists value family more, as some (small some) religious people would disown members of their family if they went against particular religious values.

Reasons for. Reasons against. Therefore it's just a deadlock.

ViolinViolinViolin
~ Sometimes people change, but sometimes you just open your eyes & realise who they truly are ~

Warrior13 said:I realized Matt is the Chosen One of SC.

Credits to KingofCorn for the awesome avatar!
danielroxheaps Posted: 15:25 Nov16 2017 Post ID: 3438925
danielroxheaps
Post Likes: 250
+
I "thing" (hehehe) everyone here shared the same opinion.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/i...roxheaps
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/use...roxheaps
To find me on any other website just look for the user "danielroxheaps"

KingofCorn said:See Matt becomes gay and suddenly there are shitposts everywhere.
Displaying Page 1 of 1

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close