Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.
Super Smash Bros. Melee

Wavesliding, Wavegliding...

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth Favourite Forums

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 1 of 1

darkboarder_77 Posted at: 17:35 Aug21 2005 Post ID: 356948
darkboarder_77
Glaceonic
Post Likes: 0
+
+
I have no clue if other definitions indicating what these mean are in the dictionary of SSBM Terminology, but in case they aren't, here they are:

WAVESLIDE- to be sent sliding along the ground as a result of a foe's attack, only counts if you are in an upright stable positione while sliding.

WAVEGLIDE- to be sent flying at high speed through the air, but with you still in a stable position (not flailing)

I know these aren't necessary anyway, but let's see what everyone's feedback is...
Owner of the formerly ranked number one Halo PC modded server in the world, FRIGID MASS CTF WAR. Joiner-friendly mods and five-minute hotfixes = loyal clientele.

Been here since February 2004. It's May 2022 as of writing this. Wish Rich would revive this place. Guess I'm only here for the nostalgia now.

Mask-o-Sheik Posted at: 21:12 Aug21 2005 Post ID: 357373
Mask-o-Sheik
Forum GuestMember
+
+
well the names are confusing, because they have nothing to do with wave-dashing. and i'm not sure they're significant enough events to warrant terms of their own.

what you call wave-sliding can only occur if you tech immediately after an attack, but the momentum keeps sending you back (i'm not completely sure how this works, but it usually occurs with stronger attacks - apparently the tech "eats up" some of the knockback and the leftover momentum keeps you sliding on the ground). usually this is unofficially referred to as "leftover momentum" or something to that effect.

what you call wave-gliding is an effect of an attack with high knockback but low stun - pikachu's dsmash is a good example of this. again, this phenomenon can be described by "leftover momentum" and is probably insignificant enough not to need its own term.
DDR: want to pass Paranoia Survivor ~ Religions are just cults with more members. -- The resident SSB:M Captain Falcon user. -- "Let's eat fast so we can eat again!" ~ Ash
darkboarder_77 Posted at: 11:48 Aug22 2005 Post ID: 358148
darkboarder_77
Glaceonic
+
+
Okay, then... I tend to do that little 'wavetech' thing you are referring to.
Owner of the formerly ranked number one Halo PC modded server in the world, FRIGID MASS CTF WAR. Joiner-friendly mods and five-minute hotfixes = loyal clientele.

Been here since February 2004. It's May 2022 as of writing this. Wish Rich would revive this place. Guess I'm only here for the nostalgia now.

DN2627 Posted at: 17:47 Aug24 2005 Post ID: 363345
DN2627
Forum GuestMember
+
+
You'll slide if you crouch-cancel some moves with high knockback, in some situations. I'm not sure how it works, but sometimes when I CC Marth's tipper, I'll just keep sliding on the ground. It actually looks very similar to a really long wavedash, as in there's clouds and all that.
darkboarder_77 Posted at: 17:54 Aug24 2005 Post ID: 363363
darkboarder_77
Glaceonic
+
+
A really long wavedash, ahem, is known as a Superwavedash, I believe.

DN2627 Posted at: 18:46 Aug24 2005 Post ID: 363569
DN2627
Forum GuestMember
+
+
Superwavedash is a Samus-exclusive technique... What I was talking about just looks like a really long wavedash, because the char. is sliding across the ground, which is exactly what a wavedash is.
Mask-o-Sheik Posted at: 19:45 Aug24 2005 Post ID: 363802
Mask-o-Sheik
Forum GuestMember
+
+
superwavedash was used briefly a while ago (like a year or more) by a few people to refer to a wave-dash from the air, coming from the false belief that air wave-dashes have potential to go further than ground wave-dashes. that was dropped quickly though, and the discovery of sammy's superwavedash has shut the archaic usage out completely.

by the way, the only proper way to use the term "superwavedash" is in reference to samus's technique. the long sliding from cc'ing a powerful attack (something i overlooked in my last post) isn't self-initiated and is an unexceptional example of the game physics and thus should never attain a wave- prefix.
DDR: want to pass Paranoia Survivor ~ Religions are just cults with more members. -- The resident SSB:M Captain Falcon user. -- "Let's eat fast so we can eat again!" ~ Ash
darkboarder_77 Posted at: 16:48 Aug25 2005 Post ID: 365635
darkboarder_77
Glaceonic
+
+
Fox has a Superwavedash, too. I know how to do it.

DN2627 Posted at: 18:10 Aug25 2005 Post ID: 365812
DN2627
Forum GuestMember
+
+
No he doesn't...
Patooty Posted at: 06:36 Aug26 2005 Post ID: 366741
Patooty
Forum GuestMember
+
+
Nobody has a superwavedash besides Samus. By definition, SWD is attributed to Samus' long sliding technique. Saying Fox has a SWD is like saying he can screw attack. Screw attack is, by definition, a Samus move. They both have and up+b, but ONLY Samus' is called the Screw attack.

Just a sidenote: A general rule of thumb for wave-anything means that you can replace the "wave" with "wavedash". Using this, you can see the waveslide doesn't work because again, by defintion, you slide when you wavedash. It would almost be saying "slideslide"
Resident Samus of SuperCheats |
THE Canadian Samus |
Best in BC
darkboarder_77 Posted at: 09:21 Aug26 2005 Post ID: 366999
darkboarder_77
Glaceonic
+
+
Okay, I get the point.

Closed.

Displaying Page 1 of 1

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth Favourite Forums

Members viewing this thread:
This topic has been closed by 103706

Post Top
Click to close