Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

Same game different name????

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 1 of 1

Sanzano Posted: 10:35 Feb28 2005 Post ID: 82739
Sanzano
Post Likes: 76
+
This is something that confuses me and I can't work out a logical explaination why the publishers do it. Why do some games have different names depending on what part of the world they are released?

Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
darkboarder_77 Posted: 13:04 Feb28 2005 Post ID: 82866
darkboarder_77
Glaceonic
Post Likes: 0
+
It might be because of the definition of certain words in different languages or the beliefs to the usage of certain words. In Japan, the word "trophy" means "devil", and Nintendo thinks that "devil" is a very bad word, so any Japanese game with the word "trophy" in it must be replaced with another word of similar definition, like the Japanese word for "figure". The word "trophy", thus, may only be seen in American games. This knowledge comes from what I know from SSBM; when you change the language setting to Japanese, you will notice that wherever you would see "trophy" has been replaced with the Japanese word for figure, see?

The same applies for the names of the games.
Owner of the formerly ranked number one Halo PC modded server in the world, FRIGID MASS CTF WAR. Joiner-friendly mods and five-minute hotfixes = loyal clientele.

Been here since February 2004. It's May 2022 as of writing this. Wish Rich would revive this place. Guess I'm only here for the nostalgia now.

nintendo_dude Posted: 13:57 Feb28 2005 Post ID: 82938
nintendo_dude
Post Likes: 1
+
The European version of a game has exactly the same texts(if it has any)as the North American version would.But as for the other countries changes are made.Even though they are in different languages the words mean different to what they would in English,therefore changing the words to their own language as different words.lol I know I'm confusing.

I'm finished here...

Special thanks to Yossy666 for the avatar and signature images.
Sanzano Posted: 15:38 Feb28 2005 Post ID: 83106
Sanzano
+
Here's one I do know about:

Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando

This is the name of the game in North America, looks pretty harmless? You North Americans probably look at Commando and think Green Berets and Special Forces.

Well in England the term 'Going Commando' is when a girl goes out and she decides not to wear any knickers. So for the European market the game got changed to:

Ratchet and Clank: Locked and Loaded

darkboarder_77 Posted: 16:57 Feb28 2005 Post ID: 83219
darkboarder_77
Glaceonic
+
What are knickers?
Owner of the formerly ranked number one Halo PC modded server in the world, FRIGID MASS CTF WAR. Joiner-friendly mods and five-minute hotfixes = loyal clientele.

Been here since February 2004. It's May 2022 as of writing this. Wish Rich would revive this place. Guess I'm only here for the nostalgia now.

Sanzano Posted: 02:38 Mar01 2005 Post ID: 83400
Sanzano
+
On 28-Feb-2005 darkboarder_77 said:What are knickers?
I think North Americans refer to them as 'panties'

darkboarder_77 Posted: 11:11 Mar01 2005 Post ID: 83552
darkboarder_77
Glaceonic
+
Oh... Yes, that would be funny if they called it in England "Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando", hehehe...

nintendo_dude Posted: 11:11 Mar01 2005 Post ID: 83553
nintendo_dude
+
Yeah and pants are known to them as underwear.

I'm finished here...

darkboarder_77 Posted: 11:16 Mar01 2005 Post ID: 83560
darkboarder_77
Glaceonic
+
(snickers)
I can picture walking into a public place in England and saying "Like my pants?"

nintendo_dude Posted: 11:22 Mar01 2005 Post ID: 83567
nintendo_dude
+
Trowsers over here are what you call pants.But saying 'like my pants' in the UK(NOT JUST ENGLAND)would be very embarrasing.

I'm finished here...

liquidbutter Posted: 15:13 Mar01 2005 Post ID: 83726
liquidbutter
Forum GuestMember
+
Going commando can be related to both men and women in America. It means the same if you talk to the right people. Except for men you can change it to free-balling, if you know what I mean.

As for the initial question, publishers might do it for stupid travelers. Some idiot from America goes to a different country and sees a game he knows with a different name and thinks it's a different game.
Scrotal Safety Tip #3: Purchasing a swimsuit with built-in underpants will greatly cut down on excess scrotal-stress during a spirited game of volleyball and the like.
Sanzano Posted: 10:48 Mar02 2005 Post ID: 84228
Sanzano
+
So what you're saying is you think the publishers change the packaging of a game on purpose to fool the general public into trying to buy the same game twice making them think it is some kind of different version?

I think the word definition theory holds more weight to be honest, but I could be wrong.

liquidbutter Posted: 13:35 Mar02 2005 Post ID: 84294
liquidbutter
Forum GuestMember
+
It's possible isn't it? Maybe not probable but possible. It's all about the money.
Scrotal Safety Tip #3: Purchasing a swimsuit with built-in underpants will greatly cut down on excess scrotal-stress during a spirited game of volleyball and the like.
Dingo_Dile Posted: 04:25 Mar05 2005 Post ID: 86499
Dingo_Dile
+
On 28-Feb-2005 Sanzano said:Here's one I do know about:

Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando

This is the name of the game in North America, looks pretty harmless? You North Americans probably look at Commando and think Green Berets and Special Forces.

Well in England the term 'Going Commando' is when a girl goes out and she decides not to wear any knickers. So for the European market the game got changed to:

Ratchet and Clank: Locked and Loaded
Yeah, that happened with Ratchet and Clank 3 as well. It's Up Yer Arsenal in America yet here in Britain, it's only Ratchet and Clank 3. Even the front covers have drastically changed from what I've seen! It gets confusing when you have to read stuff about the game that has a different name. I read a walkthrough for "Going Commando" before when I was trying to solve something on "Locked and Loaded".

I actually agree with Sanzano that the meaning could be what makes the name change. Although, I see no harm in the name "Up Yer Arsenal" (maybe it's got something to do with Arsenal being a town in Britain?) they just changed to Ratchet and Clank 3.

Sanzano Posted: 15:56 Mar05 2005 Post ID: 87022
Sanzano
+
Arsenal a town in Britain? The only Arsenal I've come across when I lived in England was Woolwich Arsenal in South East London which was a town basically called that because of the army barracks there.

Arsenal football club originally came from Woolwich before they moved to Highbury in North London and retained the name Arsenal.

darkboarder_77 Posted: 11:37 Mar06 2005 Post ID: 87711
darkboarder_77
Glaceonic
+
That doesn't sound right, "Up Yer Arsenal"... Now that I think about it, it sounds more like "Up Yer ****" to me... (LOL)

Displaying Page 1 of 1

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close