Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

Bullying in Schools - Corporal Punishment to be Re-introduced?

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 2 of 2

1 | Last     Previous
Fwank Posted: 09:54 Jun20 2007 Post ID: 1673639
Fwank
Post Likes: 4
+
There wouldn't be something called ADD if the kids knew that they'd get their *** kicked if they do something stupid. I don't know how bad you guys have it there, but I've met several kids who claim they have ADD, which conveniently and magically disappears when they're told to cut the crap or they'll be sorry.

back on topic (more, somewhat)

While it doesn't seem like many people oppose corporal punishment, I must question your motives; are you guys all just agreeing with it because you can't do anything about bullying yourselves?

I'm especially surprised that the OP is referring to Australia; for as long as I've been in school there's been no bullying serious enough to warrant any concern... heck half the bullying doesn't go on record, it's no wonder they don't do anything about it.

Corporal punishment may be a good way to teach kids what's acceptable and what's not (heck, if you're getting beaten up for it, you must be screwing something up) but it shouldn't be a means to stop bullying or something that you feel you're powerless against. Bullying will persist as long as you don't do anything about getting bullied yourself; heck, if I'm going to get beaten up for bullying you, I'll probably end up threatening you not to tell anybody and do something worse than just shove you around.

I can see where most people are coming from (and holy crap, how come you all get bullied in school?), but "an eye for an eye" isn't exactly the best way to go about things (even if it is school). Either do something about being bullied by changing your image or fighting back (or just live with it, it's part of being a kid). I've tutored kids who comes home beaten up because they thought the school could protect him from getting beaten up outside of school premises... nah

and factor: you can sue the school if you get hurt by that crazy kid with the knife, thats why you get into trouble when you do things that could potentially endanger yourself...

... and not running away from a guy who pulled a knife either means you have a bigger knife, you're wearing a chain mail, or you're extremely stupid
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
Simple Theory Posted: 19:11 Jun20 2007 Post ID: 1674964
Simple Theory
Forum GuestBanned
Post Likes: 0
+
I'm not really too set-in-stone with my opinion on this issue because I haven't seen firsthand what bullying does to the kids affected.

I personally never went through much bullying, and the only time I did, I punched the kid in the face and I never heard from him again. If that worked, corporal punishment might.

Although I don't think corporal punishment should be introduced in the lower grades (elementary school). At that point in a child's life, everything around them shapes them into who they become when they're older. It wouldn't be a good thing beating kids who really don't know better.

As soon as they get to middle school though, I say it's worth a try. By that time they should know it's wrong. If they still don't stop after repeated warnings, there isn't much else to do (except suspensions, detentions, expulsions, etc).
Fwank Posted: 03:55 Jun21 2007 Post ID: 1675849
Fwank
Post Likes: 4
+
^ It doesn't have to be anything like getting beaten with a stick or spanked or anything of that sort... could be physical punishment like ones you receive in PE like squat jumps or laps, or even standing against a wall, which works wonders on younger children
Komodo Posted: 06:48 Jun22 2007 Post ID: 1678651
Komodo
Post Likes: 0
+
Doing un-harmful, yet physcial things to younger children, like Fwank suggested, actually is a good idea. Someone should propose that to the Departments of Education.
Displaying Page 2 of 2

1 | Last     Previous
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close