Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.
Super Smash Bros. Melee

Ok, so I'm going to a tournament next week

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth Favourite Forums

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 1 of 2

1 | Last     Next
SSBMRoy Posted at: 14:56 Jul04 2005 Post ID: 237895
SSBMRoy
Forum GuestMember
Post Likes: 0
+
+
I'm staying with my dad in Indiana for much of this summer, and on another message board I found info on this SSBM tournament taking place like 40 minutes away in this town called South Bend. They have a website, but I'm not going to post it here because it might be considered advertising. Anyways, I think it goes on for three days (so probably they'll have lots of peeps), so I'll probably drop by for at least two of those days and test my skills against those other Indiana folk. If any of you live nearby and want information just google "melee-fc" and it's the first link that comes up. I dunno what characters I'm going to play yet, definitely Roy and Marth too but I've been practicing a lot with Samus lately (her projectiles are the bomb) and I think I'm at least as good with her as I am with Roy and Marth. Well I guess I'll find out, wish me luck on this guys.
WarriorofZarona Posted at: 15:19 Jul04 2005 Post ID: 237921
WarriorofZarona
Forum GuestMember
+
+
Melee-FC is gonna be one of the bigger tournaments happening in the country.

You'll find players all over the country for that one.
DN2627 Posted at: 15:31 Jul04 2005 Post ID: 237939
DN2627
Forum GuestMember
+
+
The best players in the country are going to that tournament. Good luck. You'll need it. (Oh, btw, you have to register in advance or be faced with extra fees, in case you don't know. I just thought I should mention it because it sounds like you just plan to walk up to them and get to play).
Mask-o-Sheik Posted at: 16:48 Jul04 2005 Post ID: 237997
Mask-o-Sheik
Forum GuestMember
+
+
you'll need LOTS of luck on this one. trust me, considering the level of competition it would be an accomplishment not get knocked out in two rounds (double elimination).

however, even if you lose quickly, meeting the top players is enjoyable and it's nice to see them play up close. and you get to play lots of friendlies.

btw, really do pay in advance....20 extra dollars is a sharp fee for being late ;). don't be angry at the tourney organizers for that, though - you've never had to run a tourney!

http://www.nd.edu/~jkish/meleefc/index.htm

it isn't advertising, it's informing...
DDR: want to pass Paranoia Survivor ~ Religions are just cults with more members. -- The resident SSB:M Captain Falcon user. -- "Let's eat fast so we can eat again!" ~ Ash
SSBMRoy Posted at: 17:55 Jul04 2005 Post ID: 238103
SSBMRoy
Forum GuestMember
+
+
Wow, are you guys all going to this too? You seem to know a lot of info about it already.

I don't know why you guys think I need luck, none of you have seen my level of skill or anything and probably these "top" players aren't too far ahead of me. And why would people all over the country travel to this? According to the site the prize is only like $500.
Mask-o-Sheik Posted at: 19:11 Jul04 2005 Post ID: 238222
Mask-o-Sheik
Forum GuestMember
+
+
i'm not going :(. but really, the competition there is going to be absolutely fierce. the top players ARE far ahead of you, trust me.

this tourney is very well-known in the competitive community. it's going to be very big (well over 100 people) and very prestigious - the best players from the nation are participating. if you're going, be prepared to lose. a lot.

and i'm not saying it isn't worth going to - i'd probably lose very quickly, but the fact that there are 100+ people from everywhere in the country with such talent, melee-fc is definitely worth it.
DDR: want to pass Paranoia Survivor ~ Religions are just cults with more members. -- The resident SSB:M Captain Falcon user. -- "Let's eat fast so we can eat again!" ~ Ash
Cylun Posted at: 19:25 Jul04 2005 Post ID: 238244
Cylun
Forum GuestMember
+
+
Hmmm....

those who are certain
that they will be the winners
are certain to lose.
I am Cylun. May your life be easy and your future ripe.
Zelda Fan Posted at: 19:31 Jul04 2005 Post ID: 238250
Zelda Fan
Post Likes: 4
+
+
dude you should practice with everyone because what if you don't get to use the 1 you want.

gotta love brizilian jiu jutsu!!
Mask-o-Sheik Posted at: 19:34 Jul04 2005 Post ID: 238258
Mask-o-Sheik
Forum GuestMember
+
+
you get to use the character you want. melee-fc wouldn't have the reputation it has if you couldn't use the chars you want, now would it?

in fact, you can use more than one character pet set. always useful for countering the foe's char. read the rules on the site :p
Zelda Fan Posted at: 19:37 Jul04 2005 Post ID: 238262
Zelda Fan
Post Likes: 4
+
+
I don't want to I got better things to do.

gotta love brizilian jiu jutsu!!
Cylun Posted at: 19:40 Jul04 2005 Post ID: 238268
Cylun
Forum GuestMember
+
+
Hmm... on the issue of the tournament, will all the matches be recorded? I kind of want to see a few lopsided battles.
I am Cylun. May your life be easy and your future ripe.
WarriorofZarona Posted at: 20:36 Jul04 2005 Post ID: 238361
WarriorofZarona
Forum GuestMember
+
+
When the tournament comes by and you do go, let me know how it goes, and if you experienced anything new.

As far as I know, anyone who goes to tournaments seem to have an increase of skill.
dashdancedan18 Posted at: 21:49 Jul04 2005 Post ID: 238426
dashdancedan18
Forum GuestMember
+
+
;_;

I can't go...but other people around me are going...Like Mike G...and Wes's crew(GA wes not DA wes)

v_v And I missed SAV too...I really need a liscence...
RJ Fighter Posted at: 21:53 Jul04 2005 Post ID: 238428
RJ Fighter
Super Mod Alumni
Post Likes: 5
+
+
On 04-Jul-2005 Cylun said:Hmmm....

those who are certain
that they will be the winners
are certain to lose.
This is off-topic, but is that a Haiku?
darkboarder_77 Posted at: 23:06 Jul04 2005 Post ID: 238585
darkboarder_77
Glaceonic
+
+
I played in a tournament... and I got 2nd place!
Owner of the formerly ranked number one Halo PC modded server in the world, FRIGID MASS CTF WAR. Joiner-friendly mods and five-minute hotfixes = loyal clientele.

Been here since February 2004. It's May 2022 as of writing this. Wish Rich would revive this place. Guess I'm only here for the nostalgia now.

DN2627 Posted at: 14:43 Jul05 2005 Post ID: 239982
DN2627
Forum GuestMember
+
+
I'm not going either. Entree and commute fees/time cost too much. Everyone just knows about it since it's so big. You might not get knocked out in the first couple of rounds if you're lucky, since I'm sure there are a lot of people who are just there to see how well they would fare. Or, you might be unlucky and face the likes of Ken in the first match and someone like Chu in the losers bracket (Even though Chu probably won't be in the losers bracket by the second round).
TobiasXelKythe Posted at: 14:58 Jul05 2005 Post ID: 240002
TobiasXelKythe
+
+
On 04-Jul-2005 SSBMRoy said:Wow, are you guys all going to this too? You seem to know a lot of info about it already.

I don't know why you guys think I need luck, none of you have seen my level of skill or anything and probably these "top" players aren't too far ahead of me. And why would people all over the country travel to this? According to the site the prize is only like $500.
No offense, but that in itsself is almost proof that you'll need luck. You don't know anything about the pros and assume that they're probably not too far ahead of you... Almost everyone is like that before they learn how far behind they are as far as competitive skill. Melee-FC is going to be one hell of a tourney with a huge turnout of well-known Smashers with good track records... Good luck with that, really.

I wouldn't worry too much about how you do. Playing really good people even if they annihilate you is generally the best way to improve. Try and play friendlies outside of the brackets, too.
LUIGI'S GAME IS STEPPING UP [ www.freewebs.com/tobiasxk/LuigiFAQ.txt ]
darkboarder_77 Posted at: 17:50 Jul05 2005 Post ID: 240221
darkboarder_77
Glaceonic
+
+
I get all of my Melee training off of battling level 9 CPs, but I need more than that. I need a good, intelligent human to train off of now.
Owner of the formerly ranked number one Halo PC modded server in the world, FRIGID MASS CTF WAR. Joiner-friendly mods and five-minute hotfixes = loyal clientele.

Been here since February 2004. It's May 2022 as of writing this. Wish Rich would revive this place. Guess I'm only here for the nostalgia now.

Patooty Posted at: 01:09 Jul06 2005 Post ID: 241109
Patooty
Forum GuestMember
+
+
woot, DB has been enlightened, and soon SSBMRoy will also be enlightened with actual tourney experience. SSBMRoy, good luck with the tourney, even though you don't think you need it. You're gonna come back a very humble smasher Smile
Resident Samus of SuperCheats |
THE Canadian Samus |
Best in BC
XIF Posted at: 01:15 Jul06 2005 Post ID: 241119
XIF
Forum GuestMember
+
+
i'm going, flights booked and everything...

SSBMRoy, try to look for a guy who will go by XIF <_< I will probably be playing mario, Zelda, and Jigglypuff, but alot of Break the Targets and Home Run Contest...

but, do note, you are going to lose... horribly. Its just the way things go. Your first tournament, you get wrecked, simple as that. Even if you KNEW the advanced techniques, you'd still get wrecked.
Displaying Page 1 of 2

1 | Last     Next
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth Favourite Forums

Members viewing this thread:
This topic has been closed by 239161

Post Top
Click to close