Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.
Follow the dark path or use the light
Mobile
go

Do You Want to Be a Dean of pipiganjj?

Search for a game or topic
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Recent Posts Games Series Hubs
Game Filters
Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 1 of 1

thruthvan Posted at: 06:42 Apr29 2019 Post ID: 3447925
thruthvan
Forum GuestMember
Post Likes: 0
+
+
I am done. After six years of founding and leading the School of Education and Social Policy at Pipiganj College, I have returned to the faculty. In those six years I hired 17 faculty members, started seven academic programs, and worked with two presidents, four provosts, and eight deans.
I started out idealistic, and adamant that I could develop a better model of a school of education. What could be so hard, I thought, in "operationalizing" one?s ideas? What I have since learned: Nothing is more exciting or complicated in higher education as turning ideas into reality. It is way harder than rocket science.
So for any of you faculty members considering moving into administration, I have good news and bad news. The good news is that your background may be your greatest asset. The bad news is that it may also be your undoing as a capable administrator.
The role of a dean has been characterized as "dove, dragon, and diplomat." A dean is often in the unfortunate liminal position of being no longer truly a professor but not completely an administrator, either (like the provost or president) ? and thus prone to role conflict and ambiguity. One study found that deans perform as many as 168 different duties. The job has had its defenders. Back in 2003, Stanley Fish, in a column for The Chronicle called "First, Kill All the Administrators," described administration as "an intellectual task" and, in his trademark brazenness, declared: "James I of England once famously (and prophetically) said, ?No bishops, no king.? I say, no administrators, no life of the mind."
[img][/img]
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
Displaying Page 1 of 1

Members viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
Smilies, click to use

You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close