Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.
Pokemon Emerald

My party help -newbi

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth Favourite Forums

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 1 of 1

adz2332 Posted at: 20:35 Aug05 2013 Post ID: 3264940
adz2332
Forum GuestMember
Post Likes: 0
+
+
Hey all
New to pokemon and pokemon emerald.
Have been reading through and have decided on 3 of my 6 pokemon for my party. And thier move sets
So far i have a

- Combusken to evolve to a Blaziken
Moves im thinking
- Sky Uppercut
- Overheat
- Flamethrower
- Thunder punch

Garados
Moves im thinking
- Waterfall
- Hydro Pump
- Fireblast
- Blizzard

Aggon
Moves im thinking
-earthquake
- double edge
- Iron tail
- Head smash

First are these moves best for each?
Are these 3 good enough to make strong?

What other 3 would you suggest i put with them to balance out the team?

Thanks
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
Forum Guest Posted at: 22:29 Aug05 2013 Post ID: 3264954
Forum Guest
Forum Guest
If you're new to pokemon and playing an adv game then I'm going to assume this team is just for playing through the game. This means that you're going to need a few different HMs on your team, and while inconvenient they are necessary. You might prefer to have an HM slave so that your main team members' movesets can be as varied as possible.

- Combusken to evolve to a Blaziken
- Sky Uppercut
- Overheat
- Flamethrower
- Thunder punch

Blaziken is a fire/fighting type so it's good to see that you have STAB moves for both these types. However you only need one fire type move, out of these I'd recommend flamethrower simply because it has far more PP and doesn't lower the sp. atk stat with every use. That will leave you with another moveslot. Blaziken is weak to water, rock, ground, psychic and flying. Water and flying are covered by thunderpunch, rock is covered by sky uppercut. Without breeding it is unlikely that you will get hidden power of a super-effective type against ground/psychic so any filler move will be okay for a run-through of the game. You might consider swords dance or maybe bulk up for some extra hitting power.

Gyarados
- Waterfall
- Hydro Pump
- Fireblast
- Blizzard

Again only one water type move is recommended. Waterfall has better accuracy and the added chance of flinch, not to mention more PP than hydro pump so that is my recommendation. If gyaarados is the only pokemon capable of surf on your team you really should teach it that too. For type coverage I would definitely teach it the TM earthquake, gyarados is 4x weak to electric types and ground is their only weakness unless they have another type you can pick on. Ice is another good type for gyarados to have, blizzard's accuracy is quite poor though so ice beam might be a better option there. Dragon dance is another popular move for gyarados for more power and speed.

Aggron
- earthquake
- double edge
- Iron tail
- Head smash

Aggron is a rock/steel type, which is great because it has a bunch of resistances and an immunity to poison. You definitely want one with the rock head ability though because it makes it immune to recoil damage, meaning aggron can use powerful moves with no consequence. Sturdy is okay too and can save aggron in a pinch but it is definitely the second choice. Iron tail is a powerful move but it doesn't have very good accuracy, personally with my own aggron I am happy to have the better accuracy and lower power of metal claw, and it has a chance to boost atk so that's always nice too. Rock slide is its other STAB, rock tomb is okay too and has a chance to lower the opponent's speed, helpful because aggron will get outrun by pretty much anything. Aerial ace is a flying move to take care of fighting types (who hit for 4x damage), and then double edge is a great move to take advantage of aggron's ability while hitting many types for neutral damage. If you don't have rock head though maybe give it an HM or anything else you fancy, you could teach it ice beam or water pulse to cover ground types but gyarados will cover that anyway).

Some other useful pokemon to pick up are;

Wingull>Pelipper. Looks pretty stupid and generally is pretty stupid but it is an excellent HM slave.

Zigzagoon>Linoone. Also pretty stupid except that it is a great HM slave and also has the ability pickup, which means after battle sometimes it will have found an item. At lower levels it will find things like potions, but at higher levels it will find ultra balls and even nuggets (which sell for 5000 each). This is a great way to make money if you have a spare couple of slots in your party, just fill them with zigzagoons and linoones until you find a different pokemon you want to train. If it is at max happiness and learns return it can also hit pretty hard.

Ralts>Kirlia>Gardevoir. A great psychic pokemon available from early on, although it is rare. It has a great movepool and once it learns psychic it will mow over pretty much anything in its path that doesn't resist it. Definitely worth taking the time to pick one up and train it because it is really helpful. It does level pretty slowly though.

Abra>Kadabra>Alakazam. Another great psychic pokemon, it has amazing sp. atk but it's defense and HP are shocking, pretty much anything will kill it with a physical move. Luckily it has good spd so it can often kill before it is killed. Takes some patience to get though because even if you do find an abra (and they are quite rare) they will just teleport away on their first turn. The best thing to do is use a fast pokemmon to put it to sleep before it can attack, or just chuck an ultra ball at it straight away and keep your fingers crossed. It will only evolve into alakazam after you trade it, so you'll need a friend to trade with who can trade it back to you. Kadabra is okay for a run-through of the game though if you still want to use it.

Electrike>Manectric. A cool design but not really that cool of a pokemon because it has a pretty limited movepool. I actually like them for capturing legendary pokemon though - it's quick so I get in there with thunderwave first then use flash until their accuracy is at it's lowest, then just chip away their HP pretty much safe from attack. It doesn't really have very much going for it except for thunderbolt, and gardevoir and alakazam can both learn thunderbolt and hit pretty hard with it. I only mention it because there is both a flying type and a water type gym. An electric type is not really enough for either of those gyms though.

Skarmory and Taillow>Swellow are both decent flying types. Skarmory gets STAB steel wing to hit rock types for 2x damage, immunity to poison as well as the ability sturdy which prevents it from being knocked out in one hit. Swellow gets STAB return which is the most powerful normal type move when it is at max happiness, and it has a decent enough atk stat to make good use of it.

Oddish>Gloom>Vileplume. Gloom can also evolve into Belossom, but Vileplume has a bit more power behind it. STAB giga drain hits hard and recovers HP, plus STAB sludge bomb hits other grass types hard and can poison the opponent (however poison and steel types are immune to poison, and steel types will not take damage at all). It can't really do much else so teach it supporting moves like stun spore, or maybe synthesis for more recovery. Not really very useful except that it hits water/ground types that electric can't, and it has better sp. atk than shroomish>breloom.

That's my advice for building a team for a play-through of emerald. The main things to keep in mind are having a variety of pokemon so that an opponent can't sweep through your whole team, taking advantage of your pokemons' STAB moves, abilities and stats (i.e. teach special moves to pokemon with higher sp. atk, and physical moves to pokemon with higher atk) and trying to give them varied movesets, especially moves that can hit types they are weak against.
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti QuoteEdit
adz2332 Posted at: 01:43 Aug06 2013 Post ID: 3264993
adz2332
Forum GuestMember
Post Likes: 0
+
+
Thank you for the reply.
Have taken your adive on a couple of them and also used Zigzagoon to use as my hm thingos for the game....

just one other question.

What would you recommend for battling purposes, that uses sleep etc as i enjoy putting the trainers to sleep then destroying them!

Would be good to have a decent attack in its self also
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
Displaying Page 1 of 1

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth Favourite Forums

Members viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close