Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.
Pokemon Soul Silver

Nostalgia?

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth Favourite Forums

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 1 of 1

coachcline Posted at: 21:07 Aug27 2010 Post ID: 2891332
coachcline
Just call me Coach
Post Likes: 1
+
+
HG/SS have been out for several months now so pretty much everybody has played through the whole story. But, do these games provide the nostalgia trip that was expected as remakes in your opinion? Did you feel a sense of fondness when you came across a particular part that you loved from the originals? Do they do the originals justice?

Imo, they do the originals better justice than FR/LG did their originals. But to me they can't quite simulate that sense of fondness & wonder that the originals offered. I played Silver back in 2006 & thuroughly enjoyed it despite the fact that I had already played the life out of the Gen III games. HG/SS satisfied me but they can't recreate that sense of discovery & wonder the originals provided.

Siggy proudly brought to you by .Impact!
[insert random quote or phrase that makes the sig space look less bare]
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
Symphony Posted at: 21:35 Aug27 2010 Post ID: 2891349
Symphony
Post Likes: 0
+
+
Not as much as I expected (it didn't help that I replayed Crystal last summer) but I'd say they still did justice.

When you think about it, it's going to be impossible to recreate the excitement that you had playing your first game. You had no idea what you were doing or getting into, and that's why you loved it so much. Now you know what to expect.
Forgoten_Scars Posted at: 13:21 Sep01 2010 Post ID: 2893895
Forgoten_Scars
Orbis terrarum est mei
Post Likes: 28
+
+
In some parts, yes. I did like the old Japanese styles and feelings of some towns, but the new look killed the overall feel.
spyro madgirl Posted at: 20:05 Sep01 2010 Post ID: 2894245
spyro madgirl
+
+
I didn't play Gold or Silver as the first game I bought was FireRed. Although exploring the region was fun and it was a new experience for me, I found that I didn't catch a lot of wild Pokémon compared to the numbers I caught on all my other games, purely because of how Johto Pokémon have already been used in games like FireRed, Sapphire, Diamond and Colosseum. I already had means of getting all these Pokémon, so I didn't catch them in SoulSilver.

That's about the only thing that bothered me. I loved the story and it was great fun to play seeing as I'd never played in Johto before. :D It's a nice region.
~ ... Ooh la la ... ~
Lilium Almateria Posted at: 22:07 Sep29 2010 Post ID: 2910187
Lilium Almateria
+
+
only sense of nostalgia i got was chasing Suicune,Entai, and Raikou around in Johto xD
but really, i miss the old sound effects. would that be better in these remakes?

« Last edited by Lilium Almateria on Sep 29th 2010 »

siggy by me

With the kindness and strength that songs can craft, I give them all to you.
_amo_ Posted at: 22:21 Sep29 2010 Post ID: 2910195
_amo_
+
+
I really wish I didn't nuzlocke on the first playthrough. That killed most of the possible nostalgia for me :( Although, I feel like the odd one out sometimes because I have fonder memories of playing Yellow and even Sapphire than of playing Gold. Partially because I started with Chikorita and took quite a few weeks to get past the first few gyms (I didn't understand the concept of level grinding at the time).
Lilium Almateria Posted at: 22:41 Sep29 2010 Post ID: 2910203
Lilium Almateria
+
+
maybe you should repeat what you did back than? xD

siggy by me

Symphony Posted at: 23:32 Sep29 2010 Post ID: 2910218
Symphony
+
+
Lilium Almateria said:but really, i miss the old sound effects. would that be better in these remakes?
After you get the 16th badge, go to the mansion in Celadon and talk to the Game Freak guys and get the GB Sounds. Enjoy your 8-bit memories.
Lilium Almateria Posted at: 09:42 Sep30 2010 Post ID: 2910323
Lilium Almateria
+
+
it plays like a recorder or it actually plays while your batteling? O_O

siggy by me

Volke Posted at: 10:05 Sep30 2010 Post ID: 2910326
Volke
Executioner
Post Likes: 33
+
+
I've only progressed as far as early Kanto, but, for me, the nostalgia is missing. It isn't quite the same, but I have enjoyed the remakes on the whole.
Symphony Posted at: 11:40 Oct02 2010 Post ID: 2911259
Symphony
+
+
Lilium Almateria said:it plays like a recorder or it actually plays while your batteling? O_O
It makes all the music (including battles) sound like they did in G/S/C, except the Battle Frontier.

Which I don't really get, since Crystal had a Battle Tower too and all. Oh well, thanks anyway Game Freak.

« Last edited by Symphony on Oct 2nd 2010 »
X__x Posted at: 12:22 Oct02 2010 Post ID: 2911268
X__x
That Resigned Admin Face/Guy
Post Likes: 2
+
+
Volke said:I've only progressed as far as early Kanto, but, for me, the nostalgia is missing. It isn't quite the same, but I have enjoyed the remakes on the whole.

The whole fun of the games isn't the end, but the beginning, for me. The nostalgia I get is when we're in the very beginning of the game trying to become a powerful trainer in the world. Trying to fight everyone and everything we can to gain experience only to find someone better than us, for now. But when we destroy the Gym Leaders for each city, it starts to lose its touch slightly. But then you realize Kanto has more powerful trainers which should have risen above Lv 50 themselves. Sadly, they kept it easy and lacked the EXP gain to rival Red on the first go-around. It's still a blast, though. You gotta admit. ;)

Forgot I had this tag.

I'm also torn between Red and Green from Super Effective.
People kept asking me for minecraft skins. I now tell them to go to my website to request them.
Displaying Page 1 of 1

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth Favourite Forums

Members viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close