Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.
RuneScape 2

Runescape's Great Depression

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth Favourite Forums

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 1 of 1

johnkrill Posted at: 00:20 May16 2009 Post ID: 2621037
johnkrill
Post Likes: 2
+
+
I was at the Grand Exchange on Eolithist getting ready to merchant my usual items, Dragon Hatchets and Robin Hood Hats, when I noticed something interesting. I put my offer up for a few of each of these items at the minimum price, and astonishingly the offer was updated immediately and I had 5 new Robins and 5 new Hatchets.

It concerned me a little that these two popular items were suddenly being sold at such low cash values compared to a month ago, so I did a bit of investigation. Here is what I found...

The Grand Exchange Prices: Most Valued (May 16 2009)

Wow. All of the "most valued" items in the game were suddenly dropping in price like no tomorrow! Dragon Platebodie, Dragon Full Helm, Bandos gear, Armadyl gear, Sara Sword, all of their prices had sunk hundreds of K.

What was going on????

The Grand Exchange Prices: Highest Price Rises (May 16 2009)
Notice that the entire list of price rising objects were junk.

I did not understand how useful and popular items were taking such a hit to their prices, but team capes that can be purchased for 50gp at a store actually have a price rise. Even the famous Dragon Claws, an item that has grown over 2500% it's original price since release, went down 700k on the same day!

Dragon Claws Price Drop

Other Examples
Dragon Full Helm
Infinity Set

There have been rumors going around in attempts to explain these sharp drops in prices.

One group believes that it's the ruined PVP system that RS has tried very hard to develop. The PVP system is very unpopular with players dut to it's lack of rewards. Even the new "Wild BOunty Hunter" worlds are unappealing.

This lack of PVP may be the reason why so many combat items suck as God armor, dragon armor, god swords, and ranger gear are dropping greatly in price, but this does not explain why non-combat items suck as Dragon Hatchets are suffering the same price drops.

Another theory is the amount of players that merchant as their primary source of income. I am guilty myself of merchanting, and even I believe that my actions have caused (or at least aided) in the huge drop in price of Robin Hood Hats and Dragon Hatchets.

Me Merchanting

The Result

So here are my recommendations to you. Take advantage of this failing economy and purchase items while they are at their all-time lows and resell then later when the economy fixes itself.

And remember, keep the majority of your wealth in COINS. Items fluctuate millions of gp every week, but the value of the coin will always stay the same.

And now I ask: What are your thoughts or feelings (if any) on the terrible economy that has plagued RS? What is the "true" cause? Should Jagex correct this economy by inputting artificial price rises?

Personally, this reminds me WAY too much of our country's economy right now (US).

« Last edited by johnkrill on May 16th 2009 »

Sig and Avy made my me!!!
Brawl FC is 3394-4531-4018
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
JBraz3 Posted at: 02:49 May17 2009 Post ID: 2621897
JBraz3
Post Likes: 0
+
+
Lol the actual reason the RS economy got, excuse my grammar, owned so badly was because of the new Wilderness Bounty Hunter itself... its drops are ridiculous and you can recieve extremely rare items (DFS, BCP, Infinity, Whip, Dragon items) from players without armor who are PKed in this new minigame. Kinda dumb... but I bought 4 furys and they are rising up =) and DFS is selling for 20,000,000gp on the forums so I'm totally fine.
K Dawg Posted at: 09:17 May19 2009 Post ID: 2624007
K Dawg
Post Likes: 13
+
+
Wow, good time to merch :0 Lol

Anyways thanks for sharing :p

^ Credit goes to ozzo
JBraz3 Posted at: 20:12 May19 2009 Post ID: 2624441
JBraz3
+
+
Lol why do you think dragonfire shields shot back up, they got dumped by a merching clan last night thought so they dropped again.
shadowfire1138 Posted at: 17:46 May21 2009 Post ID: 2626092
shadowfire1138
+
+
Mhmm, main reason of crashes= merch clans, new bh, and botters who also get free cash from botting and crash it to buy on a dif acc, tbh prices will either keep crashing or someone is gunna help it out a bit, like d claws, they crashed majorly, and then ended up about 5m+ its final crash price and is even a tad more stable. as for all these problems, i don't say anything, keep merching, jagex will no (if they don't already) and build and stable econamy system for rs.

Havn't been around for a year :(.
librascythe Posted at: 10:25 May22 2009 Post ID: 2626458
librascythe
+
+
yep i lost a few mill off my dragon plate just cause i wasn't around to sell when it was "improved" eh what else is new.

anyways i doubt jagex even cares about rs economy... they really show they don't care about alot of things...
shadowfire1138 Posted at: 19:27 May22 2009 Post ID: 2626745
shadowfire1138
+
+
well, they will start caring whn they realize a lvl 10 narb who just made their acc can afford a divine spirit sheild... lawl...

Havn't been around for a year :(.
Xeta Posted at: 14:35 May24 2009 Post ID: 2627902
Xeta
Beneta
Post Likes: 79
+
+
On 22-May-2009 shadowfire1138 said:well, they will start caring whn they realize a lvl 10 narb who just made their acc can afford a divine spirit sheild... lawl...
When they start losing money, then they will care.

I think it is interesting that it is similar to the US economy, but as the others said, it's from the recent update.
ozzo said:xeta actually makes a lot of sense most of the time

if everyone agreed with him more often we wouldnt have this problem
Displaying Page 1 of 1

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth Favourite Forums

Members viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close