Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

I Have A Full-Time Job!

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 5 of 9
  | Go to page:

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Last     Previous | Next
Warrior13 Posted: 20:30 Nov26 2021 Post ID: 3456192
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
Post Likes: 1,056
+
I have actually heard of some of those reports Dennis mentioned. Not sure where they were in Florida, but if I recall correctly, there were areas where criminals would follow people and highjack their cars after robbing them. I cannot remember how long ago I saw that on the news, but none of my family that likes to travel to Florida has ever had any issues like that. Maybe it only happens to older tourists since they are the easiest targets.
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
steelersrock01 Posted: 21:24 Nov26 2021 Post ID: 3456196
steelersrock01
Post Likes: 162
+
Hmm. I've never heard anything like that. I've got a cousin that's a disney fanatic and she goes down to Disney World almost every year and has never had a problem. My general rule when travelling is to stick to the touristy parts. I know it's not authentic or whatever but staying on the beaten path is the best way to keep safe. Especially in places like Mexico, Jamaica, the Dominican, etc.
Warrior13 Posted: 22:48 Nov26 2021 Post ID: 3456198
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
Like I said, I cannot remember where and when in Florida this was happening. And I'm too lazy to look it up. XD
steelersrock01 Posted: 14:10 Nov27 2021 Post ID: 3456205
steelersrock01
+
Well with Florida I'm not terribly surprised. "Florida Man" is a thing for a reason lol. It's still not common to have issues as a tourist though.

« Last edited by steelersrock01 on Nov 27th 2021 »
Warrior13 Posted: 14:15 Nov27 2021 Post ID: 3456206
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
I wouldn't be scared to go. Now that I think about it, those reports might have been during the last governorship. DeSantis seems to have Florida running so well that a lot of people are flocking there.
steelersrock01 Posted: 14:19 Nov27 2021 Post ID: 3456208
steelersrock01
+
I know they were pretty lax on covid restrictions so I'm sure that attracted a bunch of people. Here in Jersey we followed NYC's lead and stuffed the old people with covid into nursing homes to presumably just kill all the elderly at once.
Sanzano Posted: 16:08 Nov27 2021 Post ID: 3456212
Sanzano
Post Likes: 76
+
I guess every city has its rough areas you should avoid at all costs, I can name you housing estates in London that the police are scared to venture into after dark. You have to remember the basic British policemen is unarmed which is not sometimes the case of the criminals they go after. If you walked into these areas and upset the wrong person you could literally disappear. The amount of people that go missing in the UK is frightening, even more so when you take into account the place is an island.

« Last edited by Sanzano on Nov 27th 2021 »

steelersrock01 Posted: 16:41 Nov27 2021 Post ID: 3456216
steelersrock01
+
Yeah most of the bigger cities around me and even some of the smaller towns have neighborhoods or streets where you just shouldn't go. My high school was in a pretty rough area where you really didn't want to leave school grounds if you weren't the right person or with the right type of people. All police here are armed though which does have its pros and cons. The town I live in doesn't even have its own police department, we rely on the state police and the police from the next town over. We get next to no crime though.
Sanzano Posted: 18:14 Nov27 2021 Post ID: 3456218
Sanzano
+
What's the name of the town you live in steelersrock01, a place with no crime, that sounds great. If the town doesn't have it's own police department it must have a really small population.

The town I live in has three different types of police forces. The national police, the Catalan police (Mosos), and the regular police.

« Last edited by Sanzano on Nov 27th 2021 »

steelersrock01 Posted: 23:45 Nov27 2021 Post ID: 3456220
steelersrock01
+
Oh it's so small I wouldn't feel comfortable saying exactly. There's maybe 1000 people, mostly older. There's some petty vandalism and whatnot but hardly ever anything serious. There used to be a sheriff before I was born but there's no budget for it these days. My town is small enough where we have an elementary/middle school but had to get shipped to the next town over for high school, that town has about 30k people and has its rough parts.

My town is like any small town or village you find in any rural area. It's really not even developed enough to be called a town. I have to go to the next town over for any shopping. These dead towns with < 1000 people just don't have enough people to have much crime. It sounds nice until you live here and there's no neighborhoods like you see in classic American suburbs and no kids your age in walking distance and nothing at all to do within a 20 minute drive.
Sanzano Posted: 01:31 Nov28 2021 Post ID: 3456223
Sanzano
+
I'm getting this picture in my head that you live in the sort of place Ed Gien the serial killer lived. An out of the way house in Plainsfield Wisconsin. Or the place the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake was filmed. Basically a lone house surrounded by fields and when the police are called they turn up from the next state in a battered 70s patrol car. I didn't think those places existed in real life and were just for horror movies. 20 minute drive to the nearest town, that alone scares the life out of me. I've always lived in cities, even now I leave my flat, cross over a little side road and within 10 seconds I'm at the back entrance of a supermarket full of food.

« Last edited by Sanzano on Nov 28th 2021 »

Warrior13 Posted: 05:54 Nov28 2021 Post ID: 3456227
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
Mike is worried that he is the only Mike in his small town, thus making it easily for us to find and capture him. O.O lol

Albuquerque had very similar spots, Mike. A huge section is even called the War Zone. Nuff said.

« Last edited by Warrior13 on Nov 28th 2021 »
steelersrock01 Posted: 10:06 Nov28 2021 Post ID: 3456231
steelersrock01
+
Oh it's not quite that remote lmao. I live on a main road and have neighbors. It's just really forested and there are no shops or anything. America is designed around cars and the rural areas even more so. Everything is just a drive away, which is a big reason so few people here exercise. Everywhere is too far to walk to, so if you're walking there's no end goal in mind, you're just walking to walk. Contrasted with walking 10 minutes to the shops or whatever.

My area used to be very, very wealthy in the 19th and early 20th centuries. There was a huge oyster and clamming industry here since we are very close to the bay, my area actually had the most millionaires per capita in the entire United States. But the oyster beds dried up in the mid-20th century and most of the people on the Bay left, a lot of the towns surrounding me closer to the water have lost half their population in the last hundred years. After superstorm Sandy in 2012 destroyed a lot of houses that were on the bay, the state bought up a ton of land to turn it into a preserve and that pretty much destroyed any hope of revitalizing the area. All that's left in my county is a few farms mostly staffed by migrant workers and a couple state prisons that provide most of the gainful employment as guards for men in the area.
Warrior13 Posted: 13:15 Nov28 2021 Post ID: 3456234
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
You know way too much about your local area. XD XD XD
steelersrock01 Posted: 13:34 Nov28 2021 Post ID: 3456236
steelersrock01
+
Lol, I've just lived here all my left except for college, and it's a small enough place everyone kinda knows everyone else's business. Plus my brother was just home and had been at some random small bookstore and found a book about the decline of our area and I've been reading it haha.

Btw, I just started a Platinum playthrough. I'm trying to use all Pokes I've never really used in a team before. Besides Torterra.
Warrior13 Posted: 21:26 Nov28 2021 Post ID: 3456240
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
Reading a book? Eww. Writing is way more fun.

What team are you going for?
steelersrock01 Posted: 22:31 Nov28 2021 Post ID: 3456243
steelersrock01
+
Ha, I've always been an avid reader since I was a kid. Maybe to the detriment of my other hobbies like writing or gamedev. I haven't touched any writing or other projects in months.
Warrior13 Posted: 22:46 Nov28 2021 Post ID: 3456245
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
I have probably read only two or three books away from school. XD

In my defense, high school alone drained me in terms of reading. The classics might very well be that, but Old English is a nightmare on a teenagers brain. It totally killed any desire I had for reading. lol
steelersrock01 Posted: 14:23 Nov29 2021 Post ID: 3456251
steelersrock01
+
That's understandable. I always managed to keep the school stuff separate from my leisure reading. Then in college I read some more of the classics and more of the Greek and Roman classics and enjoyed the rigor of it. Nowadays I really just read genre fiction so it's nothing terribly challenging. I feel ya on the archaic translations of Beowulf though.
Sanzano Posted: 17:42 Nov29 2021 Post ID: 3456254
Sanzano
+
I think I can probably probably pinpoint exactly where you live steelersrock01 with all that information. I might give if a go when I've got some spare time on my hands Lol.

Beowulf?, no idea who that is, but if you want to talk about Robert E. Howards Conan the Barbarian stories I'm your man.

The only other books I read apart from sports non fiction is early Stephen King, those books where something else. The movies were garbage though.

Displaying Page 5 of 9
  | Go to page:

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Last     Previous | Next
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close