Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

Uega Ren Vakir

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 17 of 17
  | Go to page:

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | ... | 15 | 16 | Last     Previous
Pandaemonium Posted: 11:20 Sep20 2007 Post ID: 1921690
Pandaemonium
Post Likes: 0
+
For "tiny bit of trouble", read "will get his a[i][/i]ss kicked by Seos again".

This chapter is made of win and ownage.
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
SUPERMAN5 Posted: 12:10 Sep23 2007 Post ID: 1925757
SUPERMAN5
+
I say one word for the two chapters I missed, awesome!
Seos san Nekros Posted: 11:13 Sep26 2007 Post ID: 1929373
Seos san Nekros
+
Sidenote: Superman5, I just wanted to mention that "Good, bad... I'm the guy with the gun" was not originally said by you. Ash, played by Bruce Campbell, said it fifteen years ago in Army of Darkness.

Anyway, thanks everybody for the compliments. I'm not going to ramblem uch, so just read the chapter.

Chapter 30: The End of Heartache

The atmosphere in the temple was a petrified stillness. After a few immediate gasps, there was complete silence except for my heavy breathing. I welcomed it. Tears in my eyes and blood on my face, I stood up straight and dropped the bloodied katana next to the body of my best friend.
I was shaking with hatred, pity, remorse, and a strange sense of nostalgia, all at the same time. Whether I was physically shaking or mentally, I could not know. Nothing was clear to me.
I slowly turned and was vaguely conscious of the fact that I was in the presence of allies, but my vision blurred. I couldn?t think or see straight. I had lost control of everything. I couldn?t control the guilt I felt; I couldn?t control the tears in my eyes. I couldn?t even steady my breathing. I couldn?t control the overwhelming physical pain that had begun to settle on me. But, most importantly, I couldn?t overcome the mental anguish that seemed to make everything else so immaterial.
People were shouting. Arguing. Probably about me, about the fallen Acolyte at my feet. I neither knew nor cared. My entire world, in a matter of moments, had been reduced to death and agony, terrifying questions running through my mind.
How long had he been under Ravola?s control? If not my best friend, who can I trust? Where can I go from here? ? Can I go from here?
So absorbed in the torment was I that I didn?t notice the figure charging at me until I felt a blunt blow to my jaw, and then everything became crystal clear. A dormant survival instinct kicked in. Suddenly, fueled by a fury like nothing I had ever felt before, I was shoving the Acolyte of Fire off his feet.
?Do you think this was ******* easy for me?? I screamed, my voice caught between shrieking and threatening. ?Do you think I ******* wanted this?!?
?Easy, kid,? someone said from behind me. It was my dad, and he was trying to hold me back from Seos.
?Get the hell off me!? I hissed, throwing a wild elbow and knocking Maurek away from me. A twinge shot through my arm as it collided with my father?s skeletal mask, but I did not react. Seos was standing again, so I wasted no time in shoving him back to the ground and kicking him sharply under the chin.
He rolled away from me just as I was about to stomp on his neck. Within instants, I was being blindsided by a barrage of fireballs, searing my bare arms and shirt.
?Seydu Ultima!? I barked.
Pure blackness rippled from my palms, but I did not see the result; instead, I was yanked backwards to the marble floor of the temple, held in place by some unseen restraints.
I glanced to my left to find Jexen, blindfolded still by his headband, with his arms outstretched in opposite directions. Across the room, it seemed the Acolyte of Fire was caught in a similar position.
?Let me go, dammit!? I demanded, struggling in vain against his telekinetic mind.
He replied with a decidedly calm voice, ?Auren, I do not think murdering another Acolyte in cold blood is in your best interest.?
?Then let me go!? Seos shouted from across the room. ?The ******* needs to suffer for this!?
?Don?t talk about my son that way!? my father roared, apparently back on his feet.
?How many humans have you killed, Riamtar?? Seos spat, struggling against his restraints. ?Hundreds? Like father, like son!?
Accepting that I couldn?t move right now, I took the opportunity to survey the area while Maurek and Seos bickered. Other than them and Jexen, there were four others in the room. The Acolyte of Wind, Psiklos, who stood still, staring at me with a sort of hurt confusion etched across his face. There was Sheeva, who stood with his arms folded, glaring at me through squinted eyes as if weighing in his mind whether or not he should attack me. There was a woman I had never seen before, dressed in a violet cloak and looking one with nothing but terror in her eyes. And then, to my surprise, there was Ekio, whose eyes were closed and whose head was bowed. I was relieved to see him again, but annoyed that it had to be like this.
The Riamtar bloodline? Ekio is related to me?
?The kid killed an Acolyte!? Seos? frantic shouting brought me back to the argument at hand. ?How the **** can you possibly defend him, you cold-hearted *******!?
?Jex, let him up,? Maurek snarled, pulling his mask off his face to glare at the Acolyte. ?I want to see if Seos here has the balls to insult my son to my face.?
?Enough!? Jexen bellowed, cutting off Seos? reply. His voice resonated with a commanding intimidation. ?I think young Riamtar can speak for himself, if you both will shut up and let him.?
I strained to calm myself, knowing that I probably would have reacted the same way as Seos in his position. After all, it did look incredibly suspicious. Once I was composed enough to think properly, I opened my mouth to speak.
?Osiris was freed,? I said hopelessly, not knowing where to start explaining.
?We know,? Sheeva replied, his voice monotonous. ?He hasn?t exactly been quiet about it so far.?
?It was Vaega that released him,? I shot back.
At this, the deathly stillness settled over the temple once again. It was Ekio who broke it a few moments later.
?I think you had better explain yourself, lad,? he said quietly. ?You?re not making a whole lot of sense.?
I felt the force holding me against the ground ease slightly; apparently even Jexen was distracted by this claim. I managed to sit up and take a deep breath, then began to explain the events that had occurred since they had last seen me. How I had found the hiding place of the Book, fought through trials to get it, deciphered its message, and the unbelievable sequence of events which had followed over the following days. Beginning with the journey to find the final medallion, then the encounter with Vaega, finally finishing with the terrible issue of Russell having been controlled by the Serpent. I had to repeat myself at the request of the listeners several times, be it because I was speaking in such a hurry or simply because what I was saying was so impossible to believe. When I was finally finished, I was not surprised to see that everyone around me ? including my father ? looked dubious.
?You expect me to believe that Orion, a being of almost pure light, was controlled by darkness?? Seos growled, his voice sounding unnaturally quiet. Apparently, Jexen had eased up on him as well, because he now sat up too. ?And that he threw the first punch??
I tried to stand, but my legs were still held firmly to the ground.
?Jexen, let me up, I?m not going to fight anybody,? I muttered, sincere sorrow reflected in my tone.
He seemed very hesitant for a number of seconds as if he was studying my mind, trying to figure out if I was safe. But eventually, the pressure disappeared and I scrambled to my feet.
?Look, I know you guys were loyal to him?? I paused, sniffling back tears, doing everything in my power to remain rational. ?? I was, too. Russell was my best friend? but he wasn?t himself.?
I glanced over my shoulder at my fallen friend; more pain shot through me as I looked at the work of my own hands.
?You can see,? I continued in hushed tones, ?That he?s got barely a few bruises. Other than that, the death was clean. Through the heart and he?s out of his misery.?
Everyone in the temple seemed to be observing the corpse in silence, pondering whether or not I had a point.
?That is because I did not want to fight him.?
?Yeah, that?s logical,? Seos spat angrily. ?Causing him pain is too cruel, but running him through the chest with a katana is fine. He was helpless; you knew you could outlast him in hand to hand combat! And you damn sure knew he was too trusting to fight his friend! You make me sick!?
I turned back to him and stared at him, my eyes watery. With one hand, I gestured toward my broken nose, and with the other, I pointed at my right shoulder, which was bleeding profusely where Russell had stabbed me. Without a word, I glanced at my hip, which was dotted with puncture wounds.
All of them at once seemed to notice that another bloodied katana lay a few feet out of Orion?s reach, and that one of his crystal shoulder braces had been absorbed in crimson.
?For a helpless guy, he sure put up a helluva fight,? I managed, my voice raspy.
For the next few minutes, the air was occupied mostly by heavy silence. Occasionally I?d get a question from a skeptic, and then I?d try to answer it rationally? try not to break down into tears in front of these warriors. After a while, it seemed they were all willing to at least entertain the possibility that I was telling the truth. Even Seos had been stunned into silence, a tumultuous look on his face as he stared at the body of Orion. But I couldn?t imagine that any of them could forgive me? I couldn?t blame them, either.
Finally, for the first time since arriving, the woman in the cloak stepped forward and spoke. ?Here, let me help you,? she said softly.
I stood quietly, half bewildered, as she approached me, pulling a thick band of gauze from her cloak and wrapping it carefully around my shoulder to stem the bleeding.
?Thanks,? I muttered, staring at her. Considering she had never met me before now, it was odd to think that she was being more caring to me than anyone else so far. ?I appreciate it, Miss??
?Zaemu,? she said, faint traces of a smile crossing her lips.
Zaemu? Wasn?t that the name Russell had given the Acolyte of Water? Now her friendliness made slightly more sense. Russell had described her as a diplomat.
?Right,? Maurek said, stanching an awkward silence. ?The innocence of my son in the situation really isn?t our biggest problem. I?m sorry to say it, but we don?t really have time to mourn, either. Osiris is released and Ravola is still out there somewhere, and it sounds like he just keeps getting more dangerous, if what Auren says is true. We have to get to work.?
?I suppose you?ve got a plan, then?? Psiklos mumbled.
?Of course not. I was going to suggest that we distract the enemies from causing genocide long enough for one of you guys to come up with a plan.?
?Figures,? Seos scoffed.
?I agree with Maurek,? Zaemu mused. ?We haven?t really got much of a choice. If we don?t try to stop them, they aren?t going to quit. Until we can come up with something better, we?ve got to defend humanity. It won?t take long for this war to be over with Osiris fighting as well.?
?Agreed,? Sheeva added, finally looking away from me. ?But I refuse to work with him.?
At first, I thought he was talking about me, but I followed his gaze and saw that he was now glaring at Jexen.
?That?s fine, I need to return to the Sanctuary anyway,? Jexen replied calmly. ?Can?t have hundred of innocent people getting demolished while I?m away. I wish you all the best of luck.?
I?m sorry, Auren. I know this was hard for you.
His voice echoed in my mind as he sunk into the ground, disappearing.
?Alright, people, we have to get moving,? Maurek urged, and a portal of dark light spiraled into existence behind him. ?Not a lot of time to lose. We?ve gotta make sure Orion didn?t die in vain.?
Psiklos, Sheeva, and Zaemu all stepped through the portal without much hesitation, apparently eager to get some justice. Ekio looked at me, and I felt as if we were both longing to say something, but waiting for the other to. I had intentionally left out the part where Russell had implied that Ekio was related to me, but judging from the awkwardness, I thought it seemed true. With one last meaningful glance, he, too, stepped through the portal.
?I think I?ll walk, thanks,? Seos declared, a certain rage hidden in his shaky voice. He seemed to be taking the death of Russell harder than anyone else? at least they used it as a reason to focus. He just seemed depressed and angry. Something I could relate to?
He brushed past Maurek and his portal, exiting the temple via the staircase.
?You coming, kid?? my father asked.
After a long moment of consideration, I shook my head. ?I?ll be along in a bit. I need some time alone.?
Maurek nodded sympathetically and then jumped into the portal, leaving me in silence as it closed behind him.
Yet again, the tremendous pain I was in tightened around me, suffocating. And then, again, the pain subsided to anguish as I turned to face the corpse of my best friend.
?I?m sorry, Russell?? I managed in between sobs. ?I never meant for any of this to happen??
As ridiculous as it felt to be speaking to a dead body, I felt I owed him thanks and apologies.
?All my life, you?ve been there for me? even when I was having dreams involving your enemy, you tried to help me? you never gave up on me? even when after was killing in the name of darkness, you came back to help me get over it? thank you so much, Russ.? I paused to sob one more time. ?And here you are at my feet, dead at my own hands? I?m so sorry. I will get him for this. I swear on my life that I will live to see Ravola fall.?
And then, all emotion was drained from me. All physical pain was immaterial. Everything around me was swallowed by a sensation I had only felt once before. A chill shot down my spine as the feeling of unfathomable darkness descended. An eerie nervousness tingled from my gut and enveloped me. It was as if I was reliving a thousand moments of grief in one instant, all inspired by a dark power which I barely dared to think about.
?Very touching.?
I spun around quickly but stopped in my tracks, finding myself in the presence of darkness incarnate. Divino Ravola, complete with black trench coat, stood a few yards away from me, smirking maliciously.
?Aurora!? I roared, flinging my arms out in front of me and shredding the air in front of me with piercing light.
Ravola disappeared in a puff of black smoke, rematerializing right in front of me.
?How rude?? he mocked with the same sly voice that had come from Russell?s throat before he died. ?You should be thanking me for your prolonged existence.?
I took a swing at him, but again he vanished. This time, however, he didn?t reappear. I glanced around the room frantically, wanting him to be there, wanting to fight him face to face, once and for all.
?Show your face, you cowardly worm!? I howled.
?You are in no position to be making demands, Revol.? His sly voice echoed all around me as if they were coming from the very walls of his temple. The thick blackness that was his presence engulfed me from all sides.
?What the **** do you want from me??
?I want you? to suffer.? The words sounded like acid, sizzling into my eardrums and imbedding into my mind.
?I will have your head!? I shrieked.
The silence exploded into cackling, evil, laughter. ?You do not have the power to decide that, Revol. This is my world. So it has been, and so it shall be.?
The ground below me began to tremble and quake, the entire temple and the hill it rested under seeming to shift uncontrollably.
?I?ve thought of a wonderful parting gift for you, Revol.?
?Shut up!? I hissed, flinging orbs of light into the walls. ?Shut up! Shut up!?
?You should be happy,? he taunted calmly. ?As a final act of mercy, I?m going to let you die in the same blood soaked temple where you killed your pathetic friend. Today, your journey ends.?
Dust and chunks of debris began to fall from the vaulted ceiling of the temple.
?Perhaps now you may know the true meaning of misery.?
I fell to my knees and let out a guttural cry of agony and distress, which was met with more cackling from the lord of darkness. The image of Russell?s dead body in front of me was the last thing to be seared into my vision as the temple collapsed around me, consuming me in blackness.

« Last edited by Seos san Nekros on Nov 11th 2007 »
[center]
[color=silver]
Thanks to V-Gamer for awesome sig and avy.
[url=http://s381.photobucket.com/albums/oo256/SeossanNekros/][color=silver]Gifts and such. Thanks guys. =D[/url]
[url=http://forums.supercheats.com/topic.php?topic=97843][size=13][color=silver]Short Story - Haunted[/url]
Sotek Posted: 12:34 Sep26 2007 Post ID: 1929426
Sotek
+
Hmm, this could be a problem. How's he going to escape this? I have an idea of course, but I'll just wait and see, I think. Unless he uses the Cypress to walk through the boulders...

Seeing as I now have three short stories posted, I figure I may as well put all of them in my bio, so go there for links to "The Lab", "Daemon" and "Afterlife". Additionally, you should read my fic, The Crystals of Narlkant
Seos san Nekros Posted: 04:31 Oct14 2007 Post ID: 1954285
Seos san Nekros
+
No new chapter. Sorry.

Just wanted to explain why its taking so long, that being because, for some reason, Microsoft Word isn't work at all on my computer at the moment. Need to get that sorted before I can do anything else, obviously. Bear with me.

While we're waiting, feel free to speculate or comment or whatever.
[center]
[color=silver]
[url=http://s381.photobucket.com/albums/oo256/SeossanNekros/][color=silver]Gifts and such. Thanks guys. =D[/url]
[url=http://forums.supercheats.com/topic.php?topic=97843][size=13][color=silver]Short Story - Haunted[/url]
Cataclysm Posted: 04:58 Oct14 2007 Post ID: 1954296
Cataclysm
Post Likes: 2
+
I actually didn't realise this had a new chapter, thanks for reminding me. As for the actual review, I think this chapter will lead aup to a few more of huge fights with a lot of emotional killing and even more death, on both sides. I also reclon that he will have to fight Rvola now, but won't win. I think he'll escape.
Sig and avy by Jam Jar

Sotek Posted: 09:18 Oct25 2007 Post ID: 1969058
Sotek
+
This post is in aid of stopping this falling off the bottom of the forum due to spammers. Thank you.

Seeing as I now have three short stories posted, I figure I may as well put all of them in my bio, so go there for links to "The Lab", "Daemon" and "Afterlife". Additionally, you should read my fic, The Crystals of Narlkant
Seos san Nekros Posted: 05:11 Nov11 2007 Post ID: 1988860
Seos san Nekros
+
My computer is functioning! Yay!

Okay, I have a new chapter, but I've also got a few things to get out of the way real quick. First off, I apologize for the absurdly long wait. I think this has been a new record, even for me. Microsoft Word wouldn't work. At all.
Secondly, please forgive the quality of this chapter. I say this because I, personally, don't think it's all that great. Probably not worth the month-long wait, in any case. Plus, I wanted to be absolutely sure I got it finished before my computer decided to stop working again, so it is fairly rushed at parts. I hope the chapter is at least tolerable, but please be honest with me. If it needs a lot of improvement, let me know.

Third, thanks to Sotek for bumping the topic.

Okay, I'm going to stop talking now.

Chapter 31: Perception

My eyelids twitched but did not open, images swirling through my mind as I slowly regained consciousness. It took me several moments to even realize that I was still alive, and a few more before I began wondering how I could have survived.
My mind raced with too many questions for me to concentrate. I began to think back, struggling to remember the details. Russell was dead. Osiris was alive. Ravola had come and disappeared again, and then the temple had collapsed. All else was foggy. I seemed to remember having heard voices as debris of the temple threatened to crush me. Frantic voices. They had been shouting, I thought. Very urgently shouting. Searching, perhaps? No matter how hard I focused, I could not begin to remember what the voices had been saying, much less who had been speaking.
I was more confused by another fact; I wasn?t in as much physical pain as I should have been, considering the circumstances. Other than a throbbing headache and a feeling of weakness, I was relatively pain-free. Had someone been tending to my wounds? Or had I simply been unconscious so long that my body had begun to heal? Perhaps the Cypress in me was a playing factor?
Deciding that it was a good place to start, I opened my eyes and waited for my vision to adjust. But I was in unknown territory. Without moving much, all I could see was a wooden ceiling that seemed to be coated in dust. Hardly enough to provide any answers.
With a bit of effort, I lifted my head to survey more of my surroundings. The first thing that I realized was that I was lying on a small cot. Next I noticed that the cot appeared to be situated in the center of a half-a-room. The dusty ceiling and walls stretched only for a short distance before abruptly disappearing in contrast with the vast blue sky beyond. Clearly I wasn?t anywhere close to the temple, where the sky was dark?
That realization gave me the adrenaline to sit up completely. I glanced at my shoulder to find that Zaemu?s gauze was still in place, though now heavily stained by the blood flow it was stemming. The tight black shirt I had been wearing ? the last remnant of the clothing I had once worn in the name of Divino Ravola ? was gone, probably having been torn away by the collapse. My gut was instead covered in white medical tape. Someone had obviously tried to bandage my midsection to help with the wounds left in my side by Russell?s shoulder brace. Also, though I couldn?t remember them actually having been injured, my wrists were wrapped in similar tape from forearm to palm.
I still expected pain to catch up with me, so it was very hesitant movements that I turned and slowly stood up. I faced a damaged weapon rack, which was empty save for the top shelf on which laid a single sword. Now I felt certain that someone had been aiding me. The Cypress might be able to account for lack of pain, but it certainly couldn?t conjure me a sword.
Of course, I couldn?t think of any way for this sword to be here. Black hilt, silver symbols, thick silver blade that curved to a point, razor sharp edges? I was staring at Avasera.
I couldn?t help but wonder if some higher power wanted me to have this sword. I couldn?t get rid of the damn thing.
Still, I was grateful to have a familiar weapon. Proceeding unarmed wasn?t an appetizing option. How it got here would have to wait. As I knelt down to retrieve the weapon, a certain stiffness made me aware that I was bruised badly, even if pain didn?t come with it.
Avasera in hand, I walked out from the half-a-room and into the sunlight outside.
And, for a moment, I wanted to be sick.
With just a few glances about, I recognized the area. Broken houses, collapsed structures, ground that had been charred in battle but long since coated in dust? carnage that had been sewn by my own hands years ago. I was standing in my former home, Dalanaren.
Guilty regret flashed through my mind, but it was quickly overcome by puzzlement. I craned my neck and stared into the air. Into the clear, sunny, blue sky. The sky that, despite being above Dalanaren and the temple on its outskirts, wasn?t shrouded in blackness. The shadows which had veiled the sky for years, which had served as a constant reminder that Ravola was at large, were gone.
?Didn?t see that one coming?? I muttered under my breath.
I marveled upward with an uncertain sort of bewilderment? for the first time since this war had begun, I felt a glimmer of hope. How long I would have stood in that spot, I do not know, because I was interrupted?
Look who is still breathing.
I was so absorbed with the sky above that Jexen?s words in my own mind startled me.
We thought you were in a coma or something.
?How long was I out?? It was all I could think to say.
That depends. When did you get knocked out in the first place?
?Just after you guys left Ravola?s temple. The place collapsed.?
Oh. In that case, it?s been about a week.
?Terrific,? I mumbled.
How, may I ask, did you survive a collapsing temple?
?I was hoping you could tell me the answer to that one,? I mused. ?I thought you might?ve saved me or something.?
Auren, I?ve been a bit busy since Osiris was revived. I haven?t really had time to play guardian for you.
I wondered how he had known I was awake so quickly, but chose not to ask. This was perplexing. If Jexen had been busy, chances were that all of my allies had been. Who could possibly be responsible for my survival?
What happened? What caused the collapse?
?Long story. What?ve you been busy with??
Longer story. A lot happened while you were napping. We have much to discuss. Come to the Sanctuary.
?How the hell would I know how to get there from here??
Oh, right. Are you still close to the temple?
?Yeah,? I answered.
Just go there. Maurek will have a portal there to lead you.
It took me another minute to peel my eyes away from the sky, and then a handful more to get my bearings and make my way to the ruins of the temple of Ravola. During the walk, I allowed myself to entertain the possibility that there was hope.
When I reached the ruins, I found an archway of blackness waiting for me at what used to be the entrance to the temple. I ran into it and let it carry me off to my destination, eagerness erasing any hesitancy in my step.
When the surrounding glow of darkness faded, I was standing on familiar mountains: they were the hills from which my father and I had helped defend the Sanctuary from Jauvain assault. In front of me stood Jexen, traces of a grin highlighting his lips, his arms folded at his chest, and my father, who was dressed in his usually combat gear and mask.
?OK, what?s going on?? I asked impatiently, desperate for any explanation.
?Ours will take long,? Maurek replied simply. ?You go first.?
It was no time to argue about who should be filled in first, so I conceded and filled them in on what had happened after they left the temple, from the arrival of Divino Ravola to my inexplicable awakening in Dalanaren. I also asked them if they had any idea how I had been saved.
?Sounds like we aren?t the only ones who need you alive,? Jexen summarized.
?Fine,? I spat, annoyed by their lack of insight. ?Your turn.?
?In a nutshell, the revival of Osiris has led to some interesting changes,? Maurek explained. ?Apparently, he wasn?t too fond of the fact that Ravola was in the process of controlling everything.?
My eyes widened. ?Are you saying Osiris is on our side??
?Well, not really, no.? He paused as if giving me a moment to process this answer. ?He wasn?t thrilled at humanity, either. We imprisoned him, remember? So he basically just made the war a lot more chaotic. Formed another army all for himself. Took a few Jauvi to be soldiers, but an unfortunate majority of those he possessed were on our side. Anyway, the good news is that the distraction of Osiris has loosened Ravola?s vice grip on the outcome of this war. The bad news is that it?s given us another adversary as well. The worse news is that he seems to be focusing more on random destruction than anything, and since humans are more careless than Jauvi, his aggressions tends to hurt us more than it does the enemy.?
?Well, he?s got to be helping us at least a bit,? I mused. ?Sky is clear over the temple.?
?Yeah, it seemed the veil?s been lifted entirely. But I?m not really certain that has anything to do with Osiris.?
?Who else would have cleared the veil??
?We have theories, but nothing is certain,? Jexen answered, tilting his head back as if looking to the sky above. ?In any case, we suspect it might be Auren Amarth.?
?What?? I blurted. My jaw had dropped. ?Auren Amarth? The guy who hosts the creator of the universe?!?
?Something like that, yeah,? my father muttered.
?But?? I trailed off. The fact that this was even a theory of theirs was absurd to me. ?Is that even possible??
?In light of recent events, I don?t think it?d be very logical to rule it out as impossible,? Jexen replied. ?Nor do I want to.?
I nodded slowly, trying to process what was being said.
?You see,? he continued, ?having the Sacred Phoenix on our side would give us hope, don?t you think? Even since the idea was mentioned, Sheeva has been reignited as a warrior. Now that he?s fighting for a God that he believes is fighting along side of him, he has gained strength. We all have.?
?But what makes you think it could be Amarth in the first place??
?The warrior who we believe destroyed the veil of darkness has fought very mysteriously. He has caused casualties for all sides, but it seems he only shows up anywhere when humanity is about to suffer a defeat. He arrives from no where and essentially wipes the field clean with some sort of energy. When he kills humans, it seems that it is only at times when they were going to die anyway. He kills the Jauvi when they?re winning. One could argue that the warrior is trying to give us advantages.?
My mind flashed back in time again to the last time I had stood on these hills. Hordes of Jauvi scattered across the land in front of me, ready to break into the Sanctuary and kill us all. We had fought valiantly but barely put a dent in their numbers. And then that explosion? I had seen the man in the sky, seen the energy radiate from him that knocked everyone present unconscious and killed hundreds of Jauvi?
?I don?t understand,? I mumbled, shaking my head. ?If this warrior is so powerful, why doesn?t he just attack Ravola himself??
?Exactly,? Jexen answered. ?It doesn?t really make sense unless you assume that whoever it is knows that Divino Ravola cannot truly be killed. And certainly The Phoenix knows all about that.?
Everything they said did make sense on some level, so I decided it best not to argue. I, too, liked the comfort provided by having Amarth on our side.
?Alright then,? I conceded. ?If you say so.?
I glanced around me and found that the hills were empty save for the three of us.
?Where is everybody??
?They?re all off trying to fight battles,? said Maurek. Most of the Acolytes and Sheeva are now doing what you do, kiddo: basically run around attacking Jauvi wherever you find them. Nobody knows what else to do.?
?What about Ekio?? I asked, allowing Russell?s comments about the Riamtar bloodline to slip back into my mind. ?Where?s he??
?He and Zaemu are off trying to clue in human soldiers about Osiris. Why??
?I just? well, ever since?? I began. ?Look, before he died, Russell told me.?
My father silently reached up toward his face and removed his mask. Now that I could see his face, he looked completely exhausted. He studied me with what looked like genuine curiosity.
?Told you what, exactly??
?Well, you know, about Ekio.? I returned his gaze, somewhat confused by the fact that he didn?t know what I meant.
?What about him??
?Well, Russell was talking about how the Riamtars have been the only ones to break out of the control of darkness?-here my father?s eye widened, but only for an instant-?and he said that Ekio??
I hesitated, watching my father?s expression shift from curiosity to confusion to a strange sort of tortured understanding.
?Auren, Ekio isn?t a Riamtar.?
I thought my heart was going to stop.
[center]
[color=silver]
Sotek Posted: 08:44 Nov11 2007 Post ID: 1989000
Sotek
+
Aww nerts. I want the explenation! Despite your claims, this was a good chapter. Unfortunately, it provides a lot more questions than answers. Typical. Hopefully the next chapter won't take so long, and your computer will stay functional. Keep writing!

Cataclysm Posted: 11:49 Nov11 2007 Post ID: 1989191
Cataclysm
+
That's it. Typical of any writer... stop when the questions are about to be answered. I should smack you with a boiling pan for this, but I won't, because I need to know what's happening. This plot just seems to show no sign of growing thinner, every chapter deepens the wuestions and creates even more. I can say with full confidence, I'm hooked. Need the next chapter... before a month from now.
Sig and avy by Jam Jar

Seos san Nekros Posted: 06:45 Nov14 2007 Post ID: 1992151
Seos san Nekros
+
Sotek: Thanks for the feedback.

Tom: What makes you think the questions were going to be answered soon? I might just keep deepening the mystery until your heads explode. I can't really say either way, because I'm not entirely certain what questions you're wanting answers to. But meh. We shall see.

Everybody who reads this (mostly the two of you): This chapter may seem somewhat short. Not overly so, but short nonetheless. Be assured that it covers exactly what it needs to, and that stretching it would have been rambling.

As usual, all comments appreciated.

Chapter 32: Willpower

I stared at my father in silence for several moments.
?What?? I asked finally.
?Look, son, I don?t know what Russell told you while Ravola was controlling him, but Ekio isn?t related to us in any way,? he answered. ?He?s not a Riamtar.?
I shook my head in disbelief. ?That must mean? look, Russell said that only Riamtars have broken free of Ravola?s control! If Ekio isn?t a Riamtar, he must still be being controlled!?
?What are you talking about? Of course he isn?t being controlled anymore. The Riamtar bloodline doesn?t have anything to do with being purified.?
?Are you sure?? I asked, weakly, my voice shaking as I fought to deny these implications. My father replied with a nod.
A simple fact like one person not being related to me? I had never thought such a thing would devastate me so. But in my mind, it snowballed.
First, the obvious: if Ekio was not a Riamtar, then non-Riamtars could be purified. Therefore, Russell had been carefully misleading me into believing that they couldn?t. And since he was under Ravola?s control, I had been misled by Divino Ravola. He had the chance to let me kill myself with Russell?s sword, but chose not to take it. Instead, he had passed a message to me that he knew would keep me from doing it.
It was unfolding in my mind as if I was watching his thoughts; as if they were my own? he wanted me alive so he could torture me more. He manipulated me into killing my own best friend! It made my skin crawl.
?Auren, what?s wrong?? someone asked. I was barely paying attention.
The first realization was simple, but it led to more complicated ones. If Ravola would keep me alive on the brink of death once, he would do it twice. Suddenly, I knew exactly who had saved me from the collapse. The voices I had heard must have been in Jauvain tongue. Ravola had kept me alive so that he could hurt me even more, so that he could watch me suffer through this torrential moment of understanding. And his plan had gone perfectly!
?Auren,? the voice persisted.
I ignored it. My mind was still figuring the depths of this? ruse.
How carefully he had placed me after saving me from the death that he almost caused? I had woken up in the city in which I had first killed in the name of Ravola. All those years ago, I had killed a child with the hopes that it would save Russell. And I had done it with Ravola?s sword, the very sword he armed me with again today! Now, years later, I had killed Russell too! I had killed the man who I had once killed to protect!
And what?s worse, the city I had woken up in was also the city where the current war with the Jauvi had been started by me! I had attacked Dalanaren because I blamed humanity for the death of my father, who wasn?t even dead! I had been tricked on so many levels it boggled my mind!
?Auren! Anybody home??
Still didn?t acknowledge the speaker. I was too busy wrestling with all of my past mistakes, all of the times I had been manipulated by darkness, all the deaths on my conscience, all the suffering that could have been avoided were it not for me? and all of these things were being shoved in my face! Circumstances left me in a staring contest with the past; reminding me of just how deep the manipulation was sewn.
As hard as I tried to think of other options, the twisted planning of the Serpent was the only explanation that made sense to me. After all, such torture was right up his alley. This was all a game to him. He was probably watching me from somewhere, getting a laugh out of my agony? I had never stopped playing into his hand. I still used his sword; I still killed for him, even if inadvertently? in fact, I still called him by the name he wanted me to. It had never really occurred to me, but now I remembered Russell explaining to me that calling him Divino Ravola was respecting his legacy. I was still showing him respect, when he was tricking me into killing my friends!
At that moment, I could not decide who I loathed more: him, for doing this to me, or me, for letting it happen. But no more. There would be no more manipulation. He wanted to make me suffer, but I wasn?t going to give him the satisfaction. No more guilt, no more self-blame, no more wasted motion. I saw everything clearly now, and only one thing mattered: redemption.
?Dad, can you create me another portal?? I asked abruptly.
?Auren, don?t be foolish,? Jexen muttered. ?You?re not going to accomplish much dueling with the quintessence of darkness.?
I had almost forgotten than he could read my thoughts.
?Seriously,? my father added, clearly realizing what Jexen was saying. ?Walking into battle with evil incarnate is just going to get you killed. We need to focus on the war with his army.?
?Bullshit.? I said it so bluntly that it caught the both of them by surprise. ?When we kill a Jauvain soldier, Serak can just revive them with some of his energy. He?ll never run out of Jauvi. Trying to fight them is useless.?
?And trying to fight their master will be easier? Auren-?
?Listen, Dad, you guys can fight whomever you want,? I spat. ?But you can?t control who I want to attack. And personally, I think it?s about time we started focusing on the source.?
I moved to turn away, but immediately felt the pull of invisible restraints: Jexen, telekinetically forcing me to stay in place.
?Jexen, I?m not going to do any good for anything if you just hold me here,? I reasoned. ?Let me go.?
?Now is not the time for reckless behavior, young Riamtar.?
?Agreed. And it would be extremely reckless for you to waste both of our time restraining me.?
He fell silent, but the mental binds did not loosen. Apparently, he was weighing his options. I took the opportunity to appeal further.
?Look, it?s not like I?m just going to avoid battles if I see them,? I said. ?If I come across Jauvi, I?ll kill them. The only thing that will change is that my objective will be to find their master.?
?You?re not taking Osiris into account,? Maurek mused. ?This war isn?t just about the Jauvi and Ravola anymore, if you remember.?
?Of course I remember,? I retorted, somewhat more harshly than I had intended. ?I was there when he was revived. But that doesn?t mean we can?t focus on Serak. The Serpent has to be stopped. If not now, then when??
Now, it seemed, they were both lost in consideration. I decided to press the advantage.
?Jexen, do you happen to have any extra weapons around here?? I asked, my eyes darting toward Avasera in my grip. ?I don?t want to fight with this wretched sword anymore. I?d drop it to the ground all dramatic-like, but you?re holding my fist closed.?
That brought something like a grin to the face of my dad, but Jexen didn?t react at all. The unseen force holding me in place remained sturdy.
?Hey, kid, let me ask you something,? Maurek said. ?Let?s say I didn?t support you on this and just warped you off to deal with it yourself. Would you be willing to go it alone? To hunt down the pinnacle of evil by yourself while the rest of us were fighting his army??
?Of course,? I answered with total honesty. I actually preferred it that way. I had something to prove. To Serak, to my allies, and most importantly, to myself.
After a few moments of hesitation, Maurek turned toward Jexen and offered the slightest of nods. Heaving a sigh, the psykinetic warrior reached into his red coat with a steady hand and withdrew something that was bundled in black cloth. He tossed it into the air. As it arced toward me, I felt the invisible force binding me dissipate. I stumbled slightly as the sensation of control returned, but then quickly regained my balance. In one fluent motion, I discarded Avasera to the snowcapped hill and caught the bundle of cloth in both hands.
Receiving another slow nod from my father, I pulled the cloth away. A smile crossed my face as I saw what was inside: my father?s golden dagger. Black symbols burnt into the hilt and the base of the blade, the dagger was comfortable in my grip, with a blade nearly a foot in length. I had fought with this weapon during Maziel?s reign, and when I was purified. I felt strangely honored to be holding it again.
?For the sake of conscience, I must stress that I do not support this at all, Auren,? Jexen scowled. ?But it is not my place to choose who you want to attack. If you meet your demise, do not forget that the choice was yours to make.?
?Thanks for the pep talk,? I muttered.
I knew, of course, that he had a point. But it didn?t deter me. If I found Serak and died tomorrow, it would still be more enjoyable than living forever with his will guiding me. Besides, I wasn?t very fond of myself right then. As far as I cared, I was expendable.
?So, where to?? Maurek inquired.
?What?? I asked, confused.
?Well, I can?t just portal you off randomly, you need a destination. Where to??
?Well, where?s Serak??
?How would we know? He?s not exactly easy to track when he doesn?t want to be found.?
?Fine, then just? pick a place. Hell, I don?t know, get me back to the White Waters. I?ll start from there.?
?Fair enough. Give me a minute, haven?t been there in ages.?
?Know this, young Riamtar,? Jexen said sharply. ?You have volunteered to do this alone, and you must know that this means without my aid. I will not be helping you in any way. If this is what you want to do, you will have to do it truly on your own.?
?Yeah, I know. I?m fine with that as long as you don?t try to hinder me, either.?
A black portal spiraled into existence behind me.
?See ya, son,? Maurek added. "Try not to get yourself killed out there. Jexen here may be able to lose any guilt by just not supporting you, but I?ll never forgive myself if it turns out I sent you to your death. Make me proud.?
With a faint nod, I turn and walked eagerly into the portal, ready to begin seeking an end to this conflict, no matter how long it would take.

« Last edited by Seos san Nekros on Nov 17th 2007 »
[center]
[color=silver]
Cataclysm Posted: 09:13 Nov14 2007 Post ID: 1992176
Cataclysm
+
"I had never though such a thing would devastate me so."

Starting the review with a typo. Sorry.

Aside from that, there isn't much to say. You've clearly laid out why everything has happened to Auren in a few lines, and to be honest, I think it was oh so very clever old chap. It always makes the evil seem more evil when they've been controlling the main character.

Auren is also seeming very heroic right now. Willing to die an all, so I suppose that when he enters the portal he'll plunge into a fight straight away, and he will, as some say, "pwn arse."
Sig and avy by Jam Jar

Seos san Nekros Posted: 12:39 Nov14 2007 Post ID: 1992254
Seos san Nekros
+
Typo editted, and thanks for pointing it out.

Also, glad I succeeded in making Ravola seem more evil. Other than immediate battle, any predictions?
[center]
[color=silver]
Cataclysm Posted: 15:11 Nov14 2007 Post ID: 1992473
Cataclysm
+
Ravola will be killed at some point, followed immediately by a battle with Osiris. Auren will lose against Osiris, spend a few chapters doing a few bits and bobs, before returning to face Osiris and winning.

Close?
Sig and avy by Jam Jar

Seos san Nekros Posted: 15:20 Nov14 2007 Post ID: 1992504
Seos san Nekros
+
At the risk of sounding stand-offish, almost none of that is even vaguely correct. I mean, I understand why you'd guess that, it just isn't correct. :D

« Last edited by Seos san Nekros on Nov 14th 2007 »
[center]
[color=silver]
Sotek Posted: 06:03 Nov16 2007 Post ID: 1994594
Sotek
+
I can't believe I forgot to read this chapter! Anyway, I need to point out a typo: "See ya, son,? Maurek added. Try not to get yourself killed out there. Jexen here may be able to lose any guilt..." There's no " when he starts speaking again. Minor, I know, but it irritates me.

In regards to predictions, I think that he'll spend ages trying to find Ravola, then enter a cataclysmic battle with him, eventually being beaten. I don't know what'll happen after that, but it's possible that Osiris will interfere, forcing the two of them to work together. That could be pretty cool.

Anyway, I'm looking forwards to the next chapter. Keep up the good work!

Seos san Nekros Posted: 11:17 Nov17 2007 Post ID: 1996028
Seos san Nekros
+
Thanks, typo edited.

As for your prediction, I'm intrigued by the possibility, but I'm not going to comment on whether or not it will happen.

Still dealing with a bit of writer's block at this moment, so not sure when new chapter will be, exactly. But feel free to speculate until then.
[center]
[color=silver]
King of Hell Posted: 23:18 Nov17 2007 Post ID: 1997107
King of Hell
+
Alright, I just started (and finished) this today, and I have to say Seos, I am seriously impressed. I gave you individual comments from each chapter with winful quotes via MSN, so I can just say that this is amazingly ubertastic. I'm really glad you started me up on this. Catching up on a few years worth of work is no picnic, let me tell you that. This should be published. I think that Osiris should be dealt with first being the lesser of two evils, but however Auren handles it is up to him I guess. I also think he'll team up with the phoenix for a cataclysmic battle with Ravola. Good job, and I can't wait until the next chapter. This will make a change for sure, having to actually wait for each new chapter as oppose to reading it all in one night off of an E-Mail. Thumbs UpKeep it up!

Seos san Nekros Posted: 19:06 Nov28 2007 Post ID: 2010461
Seos san Nekros
+
Bad-ish news for some of you:

It's looking like my family is going to be split up for the time directly surrounding Christmas, so we're doing our quality time and decorating and such significatnly early. Translation: I'm not working much on this fic at this moment, so updates could take a bit of time and patience.

KOH: Thanks a lot, glad you are enjoying it.
[center]
[color=silver]
Displaying Page 17 of 17
  | Go to page:

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | ... | 15 | 16 | Last     Previous
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close