Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

Uega Ren Vakir

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 15 of 17
  | Go to page:

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | ... | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | Last     Previous | Next
Cataclysm Posted: 09:02 Jun08 2007 Post ID: 1644210
Cataclysm
Post Likes: 2
+
Or maybe the plot will take a sudden twist and everyone will die.

Actually, let's stick with the thoery above.

Pwnsome chapter, and having such an amount of luck and finding that passage really intigues me as to what will happen next.
Sig and avy by Jam Jar

Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
Sotek Posted: 09:36 Jun08 2007 Post ID: 1644252
Sotek
Post Likes: 0
+
Typo: "as if the ceil had been built around this ray of energy"

Apart from that, good fic. I really expected the eye carvings to shoot the light at him though. Ah well, I can't be right all of the time.

Seeing as I now have three short stories posted, I figure I may as well put all of them in my bio, so go there for links to "The Lab", "Daemon" and "Afterlife". Additionally, you should read my fic, The Crystals of Narlkant
Seos san Nekros Posted: 21:30 Jun08 2007 Post ID: 1645735
Seos san Nekros
+
Everybody: Thanks.

Sotek in particular: Will edit shortly.
[center]
[color=silver]
Thanks to V-Gamer for awesome sig and avy.
[url=http://s381.photobucket.com/albums/oo256/SeossanNekros/][color=silver]Gifts and such. Thanks guys. =D[/url]
[url=http://forums.supercheats.com/topic.php?topic=97843][size=13][color=silver]Short Story - Haunted[/url]
SUPERMAN5 Posted: 19:52 Jun09 2007 Post ID: 1647780
SUPERMAN5
+
hmm, it have been a time I checked all of your new posts,
so a single comments for all chapters I missed, It's good!
Seos san Nekros Posted: 00:43 Jun15 2007 Post ID: 1660050
Seos san Nekros
+
Superman: Thanks. I'd appreciate a slight amount of specifics in future posts, but your opinion is welcome.

Everybody: New chapter, patronization = wrath, honesty = yay, typos = bad so point them out, yada yada yada.

Chapter 24: Secrets of the Mountain

After a few moments of levitation, I found myself stepping onto solid ground in a dimly lit hallway.
I couldn?t tell where the light was coming from, but it wasn?t much. It was just there, as if by some residual glow. And I did feel a strange surge of energy as I stepped onto the ground, similar to the sensation I had felt when traveling through Russell?s latest portal. The only energy I knew to leave such traces was? static? Could the Acolyte of Thunder have been in this tunnel before? No, there must be some other explanation. I had felt the same energy in Russell?s portal, and Vaega had certainly not been in that.
The dark presence continued to grow more and more potent as I began down the corridor, drawing Avasera in one hand and gathering light energy in the other. After a few short minutes of walking, the hallway forked into two paths which were separated by a paneled wall in front of me. Engraved in the wall was a message written in plain English, and my heart and soul began to race as my eyes studied the text?

To you who seek the Book of Moon,
You have come so far, but must leave so soon.
But you will not heed this, I can tell.
And to my right your answers dwell.
Fight for good or collapse in fear,
You have come so close, the book is near.
And if your resolve in stone is set,
Behind this wall you may find the gates.
But your path is not cleared, not of yet,
To my left your trial awaits.

I read these words over and over again in my mind, silently mouthing the message as I read. The whole situation did not make sense. The message clearly stated that I was near the Book of Moon. It seemed so unlikely that a portal would have accidentally led me to the right location. Had Russell known where it was all along and wanted me to be the one to discover it?
He never told me which portal to go through? couldn?t have been intentional?
Could it be some sort of trap? That could explain the coincidence of ending up here so easily?
I was lost in thought for several moments before even glancing down either path.
The way to my left ? or to the right, from the perspective of the wall ? was supposed to lead to ?my answers.? And yet all it led to was a dead end. Another wall.
And I looked to my right ? the wall?s left ? to find an open corridor that led deeper into the mountains of Wetre Kaluj. Naturally, the only open path would be the one that led to ?my trial.?
I had come to expect much from the word trial. In recent weeks, I had infiltrated a Jauvain palace, endured the sound of an enormous bell, attacked my mirror image, been introduced to Cypress in the middle of the Arctic, fended off an invasion, survived an explosion that destroyed said invasion, and gotten attacked by an Acolyte. I didn?t see how this could possibly be any more difficult.
But with the residual energy in the air, and the dark presence that continued to loom in my senses, I figured it probably would be.
Steeling my nerves, I set off down the path to my right? the path to my trial. And with each step I took, the energy flowing through the air continued to grow more intense, and the dark presence continued to grow more haunting, and the strange light continued to grow brighter. Seconds of walking were stretched to hours in my mind by sheer anticipation of whatever awaited me at the end of this passageway.
And when I finally did emerge, I found myself staring at an unnerving silver suit of armor. It was lined with spikes and blades, leaving it nearly impossible to touch without injury. It could be compared to metallic flames, with the spines flowing in no given pattern, as if there had been a fire there that had been encased in metal. It was marginally taller than me and thick enough that I could probably fit inside it with another person. Additionally, the head was studded with strange transparent jewels where the eyes would be if the suit were living. And it held an equally tremendous and intimidating hammer in its right hand. The weapon?s handle was almost as long as I was tall, and the hammerhead, in addition to being covering in the same flame-like spines as the armor itself, was enough to put the weapon above me in height as it rested vertically in the hand of this behemoth of a statue.
The only solace was that this monstrosity had to be just that: a statue. I didn?t see how anything alive could possibly support a suit of armor that large and heavy. But regardless of this knowledge, I was still frozen in fear for several moments before I even began to survey the rest of the room. It was a large and square chamber, with stone pillars connecting the floor to the ceiling in each corner. The ground was tiled in what I guessed had once been red marble, but it had been faded and tattered from years of whatever it was that took place in this room.
Intriguing?
I was so absorbed in studying my surroundings that the thought startled me greatly, causing me to ready my weapon and spin around, waiting for an attack. It took me several moments to realize that it was Jexen, speaking to me through my mind.
?What?? I asked, sighing.
I?ve seen this thing before.
?Where?? I asked somewhat impatiently.
In myths? the figure is the perfect image of Scourge, Lord of the Skies, and his warhammer.
?And when you say myths, you mean??
No, Auren, some myths are just myths. There have been thousands of faulty religions over the years, Scourge is just the deity worshipped by one of these. A fictional character, nothing more.
?Then why is he standing in front of me??
Because he was commonly known as the God of Thunder. Who better for Vaega to relate himself with?
?What makes you think Vaega has anything to do with this??
What makes you think he doesn?t? You?ve already seen hints about the Book, have you not? I know you can feel the current in the air, and I know you felt the same thing in your friend?s portal. Maybe Vaega wants you here.
?Why would he lead me to a hidden object that he, himself, hid??
Maybe he wants you to find it.
?But why-?
Why do you keep asking me things? I?ve never even met the man. Get on with it.
?Aurora!? I shouted without further pause, flinging the white energy in my right hand directly into the chest of the armor. But the energy had no effect, simply fizzling on contact.
?Shadow Prism,? I barked defiantly, this time firing a small orb of black energy, darkening the room as it sped into the chest of the statue. But still, nothing.
Wrapping both my hands around the hilt of my sword, I swung it as hard as I could at the throat of the figure, but it had no affect outside of the loud clank of metal hitting metal. Sighing, I sheathed my weapon.
According to the message, the path I had come on led to my trial. Since this was the end of that path, the trial had to be in this room. This one would obviously require more thought than recklessly attacking walls and statues.
But what else could I do? There was very little inside this chamber, and nothing peculiar outside of this abomination of a statue.
You?re a fool, Auren.
?Shut up,? I muttered, continuing to study the room. ?How did you even know where I was??
It?s no difficult task to see through your eyes while you?ve got the Cypress in you.
?So you gave me that stuff so you could keep tabs on me??
Nope, this is just an added bonus?have you never in your entire life solved a riddle that did not involve violence?
?What are you talking about??
I can see how Ravola found you so easy to manipulate? You seem so determined to find a way to blast your problems away with magic.
?Shut up!? I snapped.
Very well, figure out how to get out of there on your own, then.
?Like to know how to get out, anyway,? I said spitefully.
Naturally.
?You don?t even know what the place looks like!?
Quite the contrary. I sense what you see, and I have already noticed several details you seem to have missed.
?Then why don?t you just tell me what to do??
Because I heard your discussion about Vaega?s book. If the whole thing is a cipher, you?re going to need to be capable of making sense of nonsense. If you can?t get through here on your own, you?ll have no chance with a book full of riddles.
?Then why the hell did you even contact me?? I was growing impatient.
Because you need help. This is far too important to be left to fate? Osiris cannot be summoned. While I cannot help you if you have any hope of deciphering the Book, I can irritate you. When you?re irritated, you?ll focus. You?ll want to prove to me that you can do this, to shut me up. It?s your instinct.
?Don?t act like you know me, Jexen??
I won?t, assuming you stop standing there like a fool and actually start using your brain. Do we have a deal?
?I still don?t see why you can?t just do this all yourself. I?ve seen your handiwork; it?s nothing to sneeze at.?
Very well. I?ll go over the reasons again. I?m not skilled in combat unless I allow myself to lose control. In other words, I?m of no use against Ravola unless I?m willing to tear the world apart, which I?m not. Additionally, I?ve got a Sanctuary full of people to protect. And let?s not forget that I have no idea where you are, I only see through your eyes, I cannot trace Orion?s portals.
Despite my best efforts to keep cautious and suspicious of Jexen at all times, I couldn?t help but feel myself growing accustomed to him. Sure, I was tired of hearing his voice in my mind, but no more tired than I was of trying to string together my own thoughts. Jexen wasn?t the reason for my agitation; it was simply the bizarre standards my life had come to be measured by. In reality, I was finding it increasingly difficult to distinguish my own thoughts from his words in my mind. As if the Cypress had carried a small part of him and he had become a part of me.
However, I still didn?t like when he taunted me. Unfortunately, the only thing I could think of to silence him was to figure this place out, which would effectively prove his point about my instinctive reaction to being irritated.
?You suck,? I muttered under my breath, trying to focus on my surroundings.
Think about what you?ve done since you entered that passageway. I assure you, you are overlooking the obvious.
But I hadn?t even done anything yet! The only thing I?d even seen was this bizarre carving in front of me. That, and the?
? Writing on the wall. I had repeated the words over and over again in my mind, but with the interruption of Jexen, I could hardly remember them. I gripped Avasera tightly, still prepared for some attack at any moment. Turning away from the statue, I ran back out of the room and down the hall, until I found myself back at the fork in the path and skidded to a stop.
With my attention back on the paneled wall, I studied the elusive message. But nothing about it seemed any more quizzical than the rest. It seemed to simply tell me what was down which path. The only thing than gave any real instruction said that I should leave, but that was just a warning?
I feel that doubt in your mind, Auren. Go with it. You may be smarter than you give yourself credit for.
This time I was not bothered by Jexen?s words, but rather inspired. It seemed clear that leaving would accomplish nothing short of pushing me further from my goal, but I was certainly not accomplishing anything by staring at that wall. What did I have to lose?
Feeling somewhat silly, I turned away from the message and stepped into the hallway that had led me here. The hallway that would lead back to Wetre Kaluj if I followed it.
But I hadn?t taken more than a few steps before I was knocked off balance by the sudden and tremendous rumble that shook the ground; the crackle of thunder.
?What the hell?? I coughed in surprise. What could trying to leave possibly have triggered that caused this reaction?
As soon as the noise had died down enough for me to regain my footing, I spun around and sprinted back toward the paneled wall without hesitation. With a simple glance, I determined that the wall to my left still stood between me and my answers. The sound had not marked the destruction of the wall. But surely the sound had marked lightning, and lightning would not exist inside a mountain for no reason. My stomach lurched as I thought about it, but the lightning had obviously changed something in the chamber of my trial.
Muttering profanities under my breath as I ran, I continued down the path to face whatever challenge would await me. In some ways, I didn?t know why I was running, but deep in my mind, it made sense. I had a suspicion about what the lightning had done, and if my fears were true, nothing short of momentum would have kept me from turning back and fleeing.
Auren, don?t be hasty, this could be dangerous.
I didn?t answer. Not because he wasn?t right, but because I didn?t want to give him the opportunity to convince me that I needed to turn back. I had to go through this trial if there was any hope of finding the Book.
In no time at all, I was skidding to a halt in the entrance to the room at the end of the tunnel, finding myself face to face with the gargantuan suit of armor. Its stance had changed, how holding the hammer in both of its arms instead of just one, its crystalline eyes gleaming at me to my horror: the statue had been brought to life. Despite the fact that I had half-expected this, I was terrified. And, for a moment, I wondered if running away would have been the best option?
?Fear this battle for it will be your last!?
?Spectacular,? I muttered. The beast roared in such a booming and fierce voice that I couldn?t bring myself to doubt it? how could I possibly win?
With one last deep breath, I gathered every ounce of courage I could find and leapt toward the monstrous now-living creature with Avasera in hand, ready to meet whatever fate it might lead me to.

« Last edited by Seos san Nekros on Jun 15th 2007 »
[center]
[color=silver]
[url=http://s381.photobucket.com/albums/oo256/SeossanNekros/][color=silver]Gifts and such. Thanks guys. =D[/url]
[url=http://forums.supercheats.com/topic.php?topic=97843][size=13][color=silver]Short Story - Haunted[/url]
Cataclysm Posted: 01:22 Jun15 2007 Post ID: 1660100
Cataclysm
+
I suddenly seem to have taken a liking to Jexen.

Apart from that, I congratulate you on being perhaps one of the only people that can take something as simple as running backwards and forwards, and make it interesting.

But what I don't congratulate you on, is for being the second person to use an idea that I already had planned.
Sig and avy by Jam Jar

Seos san Nekros Posted: 01:24 Jun15 2007 Post ID: 1660103
Seos san Nekros
+
Jexen: Glad. He's uber.

Thanks for the congratulations. Don't worry, the next chapter will definately be less boring (assuming you found this one boring).

Which idea would that be? Is it the same one the other person used, or have I stolen a seperate idea?
[center]
[color=silver]
Pandaemonium Posted: 02:44 Jun15 2007 Post ID: 1660173
Pandaemonium
+
Auren's gonna get raped.

"I?ve seen your handy work" It's one word, actually; handiwork.

Like Tom said, you're the only person who can make aimlessly wandering around a cave seem interesting. Looking forward to the next one.
Seos san Nekros Posted: 03:22 Jun15 2007 Post ID: 1660191
Seos san Nekros
+
Handiwork? Why didn't I know that? *edits*

Thanks.

Anybody else?
[center]
[color=silver]
SUPERMAN5 Posted: 07:42 Jun15 2007 Post ID: 1660356
SUPERMAN5
+
well, it's nice, and I actually agree with Pan
Cataclysm Posted: 08:47 Jun15 2007 Post ID: 1660445
Cataclysm
+
On 15-Jun-2007 Seos san Nekros said:Jexen: Glad. He's uber.

Thanks for the congratulations. Don't worry, the next chapter will definately be less boring (assuming you found this one boring).

Which idea would that be? Is it the same one the other person used, or have I stolen a seperate idea?
The spiritual voice of another, speaking to the main character. I had that written up in my book as part of my fic. And seeing as I've written so many chapters ahead, I can't change it now.

That is the idea you took.
Sig and avy by Jam Jar

Pandaemonium Posted: 09:46 Jun15 2007 Post ID: 1660538
Pandaemonium
+
Get out. I've had that as well, it's a very common idea.
Seos san Nekros Posted: 03:04 Jun16 2007 Post ID: 1662321
Seos san Nekros
+
On 15-Jun-2007 Cataclysm said:The spiritual voice of another, speaking to the main character. I had that written up in my book as part of my fic. And seeing as I've written so many chapters ahead, I can't change it now.

That is the idea you took.
Oh. Well, I'd apologize if it was a less common idea, but a lot of people use that. Don't let this hinder you from using it yourself.
[center]
[color=silver]
Sotek Posted: 12:40 Jun16 2007 Post ID: 1662991
Sotek
+
To you who seek the Book of Moon,
You have come so far, but must leave so soon.
But you will not heed this, I can tell.
And to my right your answers dwell.
Fight for good or collapse in fear,
You have come so close, the book is near.
And if your resolve in stone is set,
Behind this wall you may find the gates.
But your path is not cleared, not of yet,
To my left your trial awaits.

That's good writing. I wish I could come up with cryptic riddles like that to use in my fic, but as it is I'll have to make do with confusing directions. Aside from the poetry, I'll just say the same as everyone else in that you managed to make an interesting chapter out of running up and down a bit, and that I spotted no typos. +1 cookie for you!

Seeing as I now have three short stories posted, I figure I may as well put all of them in my bio, so go there for links to "The Lab", "Daemon" and "Afterlife". Additionally, you should read my fic, The Crystals of Narlkant
Seos san Nekros Posted: 05:21 Jun17 2007 Post ID: 1665074
Seos san Nekros
+
Gracias. I was hoping that would come across well.

New chapter some time this week.
[center]
[color=silver]
Pandaemonium Posted: 15:29 Jul13 2007 Post ID: 1744271
Pandaemonium
+
They must have some beastingly long weeks in Arizona.

Bump.
Seos san Nekros Posted: 15:31 Jul13 2007 Post ID: 1744277
Seos san Nekros
+
Yo. Right, well I'm not active on SC anymore, but that doesn't mean I'm going to completely abandon FF & RP, much less my own fic. I've just recovered from that terrible case of writer's block so I might be rusty. Let me know.

Chapter 25: The Rage of Scourge

I immediately regretted having been in such a rush to put myself in this position, gasping for air as the beast swung its hammer and drove me backward against a wall, showing remarkable agility for something of its awe-inspiring size.
?Suffer!? it roared ominously, its voice sending tremors down my spine.
Sparks flew as the mighty hammer struck the chamber wall where my head would have been if I had not managed to dodge out of the way, already exasperated. But it allowed me no time to think, quickly bringing its weapon against my chest with enough force to knock me over and send me skidding across the aged floor.
Less than a minute in combat with this goliath and I was already feeling limp, but I managed to push myself back to my feet and face my opponent. The horror showed its agility yet again as it leapt toward me with a vertical swing. I tried to parry the strike with my sword, but I staggered and lost balance under the impact. In an attempt to catch it off guard, I quickly rolled back to my feet and swung Avasera, but it was useless against the armored mammoth and I was met with a hammerhead that knocked the wind from my lungs and the sword from my grip.
I retreated to a wall behind me to catch my breath, leaning against it with one hand and clutching my chest with the other. Scourge began to approach me, but very slowly this time, each step he took leaving the reverberating sound of metal against stone. I helplessly adopted a fighting stance, knowing full well that I had no means of actually hurting him. But to my surprise, he turned.
I shifted constantly, unwilling to let the monster escape my eyesight. But he strode past me to the left side of the entrance, almost completely ignoring my presence. With blinding speed, he swung his massive weapon sideways into the pillar in that corner of the room, shifting it with the sheer force and sending cracks spiraling through its structure.
Such heart-wrenching power? No need to think of winning, how could I survive this?
Then he turned back to me and began to close in on me again, dust falling from the ceiling with each tremendous step. But he moved nonchalantly? almost casually? it was horrifying to see such an abomination acting so calmly.
But I wasn?t going to argue. The longer he took to attack, the more time I had to catch my breath. With this in mind, I rolled out of his path, scooped up Avasera and stood again, watching him with the utmost of confusion as he continued to stroll, not even changing direction.
Soon he reached another corner of the room, the one on the opposite side of the entrance as the one he had struck. And again, he dented and cracked a pillar with a horizontal blow from his mighty weapon. It was like watching a predator as it circles its prey, showing its strength to intimidate its target? an unnerving realization from the perspective of the hunted.
He moved toward the center of the room and I edged backwards until my back was against the wall opposite the doorway, struggling to steady my breathing. As he stopped in the middle of the chamber, holding his hammer like an enormous staff, a disconcerting thought came to me. At that moment, I realized what he must be doing.
For a split second, his limpid jeweled eyes radiated with energy and, with a bright flash of light, a bolt of electricity forked from the head of the hammer, flowing past him on either side and striking each pillar in the exact place the weapon had. After a short series of small explosions, the stone structures began to collapse until they each hit the ground, their weight shaking the entire chamber. They had fallen inward on each other in such a way that the debris from the crash now blocked the only exit from this room, leaving me trapped with this monstrosity? I noticed, also, that the ceiling seemed to sink slightly, as if it was some sort of large stone being held up by the pillars.
?S- Seydu Fiore!? I stammered, but to no avail. The black fireball shot from my palms and faded uselessly as it met up with the creature?s armor.
Again its eyes gleamed and again lightning forked from his weapon, this time striking me squarely in the chest and leaving me to shriek in agony as the energy flowed through me, forcing me to my knees.
If I was going to survive this, I?d need to finish it fast. The longer I fought, the more exhausted I would become. It was inevitable; he was simply too powerful. The longer the battle lasted, the more it would favor him. But how in the world could I end a battle like this quickly?
I barely rolled from my position, narrowly escaping death as the beast?s hammer hit the wall behind me.
But I had no time to take advantage, as the weapon bounced off the solid wall and struck me in the back with extra momentum. I stumbled forward and tripped, landing face first on the gnarled ground.
I got back to a vertical base with effort and swiftly attacked, but he did not even attempt to dodge, as Avasera had no affect whatsoever striking the neck of the armor. He used his hammer to sweep my feet out from under me with such force that I was lifted into the air, then promptly and painfully forced back down to the ground.
He brought the massive hammer down on me for what would have been the last time, but I managed to lift Avasera above me and fend off the heavy weapon, allowing it to crash just inches from me on the ground.
Quickly kicking to my feet, I stepped away from my opponent and spit some blood from my mouth, where it was pouring from somewhere internally. I couldn?t help but think that the cypress in me was playing a hand in keeping me alive right now?
I charged toward my foe and swung my blade from every angle. Vertical strikes, horizontal slashes, aiming for anything I could get. But it was becoming increasingly evident to me that ? despite the fact that he was much bigger, bulkier, and stronger than me ? he was also faster. He used his own weapon to block every attempt with ease. He had me outclasses in virtually every aspect of battle and he had a suit of armor. My only prayer was that I could outthink him.
?Aurora!?
Allowing a pulse of white energy to surge through my hands, I flung it into the sparkling eyes of my enemy in an effort to blind him. It seemed to have the desired affect as Scourge roared and began swinging his weapon wildly without ever coming close enough to actually strike me.
While he was distracted, I crept behind him and carefully plunged the tip of my blade into his back, wedging it between several of the spikes in the armor. He let out a deafening snarl of agony before dislodging the sword, then turned and threw it at me, but I had already stepped a few feet out of the way.
Driven by a second wind ? and quite possibly pure adrenaline ? I had quickly formed orbs of energy in my hands; blurred shadows in my right and swirling radiance in my left. I slammed my fists together in front of me and the energy burst forward, a comet of merging light and darkness that would explode as soon as it found its target, shrouding the whole room in a piercing shine and knocking me over.
I scuttled back to my feet yet again and retrieved Avasera, adopting a fighting stance and observing nervously. As the light of the explosion dimmed down and faded, my fears were realized; Scourge was still standing. But I noticed something peculiar?
?Sparks. They were shooting from him in all directions.
?What the hell is this??? I mumbled, staring in confusion.
?I will not be defeated by an insignificant human!?
The mammoth roared in its booming voice, and the sparks grew fiercer. Bigger, more intense and more frequent by the second. Soon they could no longer be called sparks, but bolts of electricity reaching from his armored body. His crystalline eyes glimmered brighter than ever as I was caught in the lightning, the sudden heat charring a sleeve of my jacket.
The electricity was intense enough to leave dents and cracks in the walls and two remaining pillars. I could hardly breathe with the current coursing through the air and into my veins.
And then it was calm. As suddenly as the outburst had begun, it had silenced. But I feared that it was an uncomfortable silence that would be broken shortly?
?Oh ****,? I muttered, my eyes widening as I studied the structure of the room. Within instants, a blinding glow emanated from Scourge?s armor and he crumpled with a flash that sent lightning in all directions, as if a shockwave had expanded from his core with enough might to send me sprawling and simultaneously tear the remaining pillars apart.
Those four pillars had indeed not been simply for decoration, they had been supporting the entire cavern.... there would be nothing I could do to shield myself from this. My theory that the ceiling was comprised of one large stone held up by these pillars proved itself to be true as the entire top of the room began to descend quickly, no longer having any of the four pillars supporting it. I threw my arms and legs up above me in a vain attempt to guard myself, then closed my eyes and braced myself for the inevitable?
?But it didn?t come. After a few seconds, which should have been more than enough time for such a large stone to fall, I opened my eyes to find that the ceiling had fallen only a short distance, and now seemed to be suspended a few feet off the ground. Even more of an oddity was the fact that the wreckage that had been blocking the doorway now floated in the air.
I knew that I should try to escape, but I was entranced. What could be causing this? delay?
You can?t expect me to keep you alive forever, Auren! Get out of there!
Jexen?s words brought me to my feet and within a matter of moments I had ran out through the reopened exit. Almost instantly, Jexen?s efforts could be heard ceasing. The stone that had been the top of the cavern crashed down and the collision was enough to shake the ground I stood on. The only thing louder was the final roar of Scourge as he was crushed by the weight of his own doing.
My immediate reaction was to slump down against one of the hallway?s walls to catch my breath. Though the battle had not been an incredibly long one, Scourge?s power had left me worn and torn.
?Thanks,? I muttered. I would most definitely not have survived if not for the aid of Jexen.
Naturally.
After a few minutes spent doing nothing at all except sitting there and waiting for my breathing to return to normal, I forced myself back to my feet, sheathed my sword, and began to slowly trudge down the passageway, my heart still racing from the severe damage I had just endured.
Soon I was back in front of the message that was carved into the wall. The path to my left would lead me back to Wetre Kaluj, and the path straight ahead, according to the wall, would lead my to ?my answers.? Before, that path had led to a dead end. But now it seemed that the wall blocking the way had been destroyed, presumably by the small quake that had been the result of the collapsing cavern. The debris of this wall was scattered in front of a new opening? an opening that would lead to my answers.
But in stepping over the rubble and down a short path, I found only another wall. This one, however, was not so plain. On it there were words carved, another message just as enigmatic as the first?

A God you have faced and His wrath you have felt,
Your survival the blow that has never been dealt.
You have been given a gift divine.
It is yours now as it has been mine.
Victors come and victors pass,
But legends stay and forever last.
Embrace the fury of the skies,
Storm the gates and your will is shown.
What has fallen shall never rise,
So choose your path and walk alone.

Below this message was a pair of handprints, and that was all. One print of a left hand and one of a right. The wall was blank save for that message and the handprints.
?A gift divine?? I whispered over and over again.
What gift?
It was the only thing I could think as I repeated the message in my mind. I had received nothing but injuries from that battle, and certainly wounds were no gift. Nevertheless, I decided to detail everything that had happened.
I?m bruised all over, I?ve coughed up quite a bit of blood, my entire body aches, I can hardly see straight? hell; even my jacket got a bit burnt. What sort of gift is??
I paused, deep in consideration, and glanced down at my arm. The left sleeve of my jacket had indeed been burnt during the maelstrom of electricity that had led to the end of the battle.
Curiosity overtaking me, I held my hand up to find that the palm and fingertips had been blackened slightly by the encounter that had also singed the sleeve. I hadn?t noticed it, but that was probably a testament to the fact that the rest of my body was in such pain that a little burn would hardly be noticeable.
Now I knew what needed to be done. Without hesitation, I pressed my hand into the matching print, and instantly the sound of crackling thunder resonated through the corridors yet again. Last time it had marked the invigoration of the statue of Scourge, and I had a feeling I knew what it would mean this time.
Pulling my hand from the print and backtracking down the hall, I found that the wall inscribed with the first message had been leveled by the newest bolt of lightning, revealing a path that led to a large, silver-barred, gateway. Through that gate I could see a silver pedestal. And on that pedestal sat a thick, blue-bound book.
Auren, what is happening?
?What do you mean?? I muttered, my gaze spellbound to that book.
I can hardly sense you, what? where are you?
?I?m right here, what are you talking about??
I can barely feel you or your surroundings anymore, Auren. Something is trying to block me from your mind.
?The wall said I had to walk alone? maybe it?s got something to do with the book.?
Of course! It must be hidden by some sort of spell! That way?
?? No one could ever find its location without actually physically seeing it.?
It is an absolutely brilliant method for keeping this area secret! Auren, you must?
I waited for a few moments, but he didn?t continue.
?I must what, Jexen??
After another minute, I was certain that he had been blocked from my mind completely. But it didn?t matter. There was nothing left to do but go through the gates and grab the prize.
Despite the fact that I only found out about the book earlier that day, it felt as if I had been search for it for an eternity. Traversing this bizarre maze? battling the mythical Lord of the Skies? it had all been for this moment.
With a gust of strength, I stepped forward and kicked the gates open, snapping a small dead bolt that had been keeping them shut. No metal lock was going to keep me out after what I had been through today. And as I approached the thick book, adorned with a pearly-white crescent shaped jewel, I could not stifle the awe it inspired in me. It was time to unveil the words left behind by the Acolyte of Thunder? time to recover the secrets of the Book of Moon.

« Last edited by Seos san Nekros on Jul 13th 2007 »
[center]
[color=silver]
Pandaemonium Posted: 15:43 Jul13 2007 Post ID: 1744300
Pandaemonium
+
Auren: 1
Gigantic spiky metal behemoth with Hammer Of Electric Death +4: 0

Awesome chapter, Jaffa. I did see some typos but I'm not going to bother telling you about them because you apparently can't edit. Need more chapters like that.
Seos san Nekros Posted: 16:01 Jul13 2007 Post ID: 1744332
Seos san Nekros
+
Thanks. I'd like to think that spacing out the battle sequences makes the ones that do happen seem all the more awesome.
[center]
[color=silver]
SUPERMAN5 Posted: 14:07 Jul16 2007 Post ID: 1751236
SUPERMAN5
+
awesome chapter, I found some typos, but I can't remember where, dang it, only if I could remember...
Displaying Page 15 of 17
  | Go to page:

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | ... | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | Last     Previous | Next
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close