Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

Final Fantasy: Rise of the Fiends

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 4 of 7

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Last     Previous | Next
Sotek Posted: 02:15 Jun01 2007 Post ID: 1631773
Sotek
Post Likes: 0
+
They won't like that, the only currency accepted in taverns is Gil.

Seeing as I now have three short stories posted, I figure I may as well put all of them in my bio, so go there for links to "The Lab", "Daemon" and "Afterlife". Additionally, you should read my fic, The Crystals of Narlkant
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
Pandaemonium Posted: 03:20 Jun01 2007 Post ID: 1631795
Pandaemonium
+
On 01-Jun-2007 TestVirus101 said:All pirates recieve two american dollars each chapter said rehearsing is present.
That wouldn't work for two reasons.

1. I haven't got any American dollars
2. It's all rehearsed by me (in my best Captain Barbossa accent)

Chapter 5

The voyage to Elfheim was quite uneventful; aside from a few sightings of sharks and other unimportant sea creatures (one of which attempted to ram the ship and was harpooned by an expertly-thrown rapier), very few signs of life were noticed. This seemed to worry Elia, who sat huddled at the front of the ship, gazing at the gradually-approaching mass of woodland that was the Elven Forest.
?You okay, Ellie?? asked Gerad, wandering over to her and squatting at her side. ?You don?t look so good. Seasick??
?No,? replied Elia, shaking her head gently. ?The ocean? it?s dying.?
?What?s that mean??
?As the Water Crystal fades, the ocean becomes unable to sustain life,? explained the White Mage. ?The water grows stagnant, and everything in it dies or goes mad? you saw those sharks.?
?Too right I did,? smirked Gerad, remembering his tremendous throw. ?Not a bad shot, eh??
?Everything will become like that in a few years,? muttered Elia, still staring determinedly ahead. ?Unless we can do something??
?Land ho!? shouted Leo from the stern of the ship. Elia rose to her feet and started towards the vessel?s rear; Gerad merely turned and glared at him.
?I wanted to say that,? he muttered angrily. ?Killjoy??
?If you hadn?t left him at the helm, you would have had the opportunity,? commented Elia, smiling faintly as she glanced back at the disappointed bandit. ?Maybe next time??

Their ship safely docked on the shoreline just outside the Elven Forest, the Light Warriors made their way through the dense woodland towards Elfheim. On each side, trees towered overhead, almost completely blocking out the sky and leaving only a few feeble slivers of sunlight to light the way. The forest was eerily quiet, without even so much as an echo of birdsong; the only sound was the faint rustling of leaves overhead, and the four?s own footsteps.
?I don?t trust this silence,? muttered Leo, glancing around suspiciously. ?Not a single whisper of life since we got here??
?It is as I suspected,? commented Dathen, quite unfazed by the emptiness of the woods. ?The decay of the earth has driven all creatures from these parts.?
?But it didn?t even start from here!? insisted Gerad. ?The Crystal was in Melmond!?
?Then it must have spread much faster than we had anticipated,? replied the Black Mage. ?We shall have to make haste.?
At last the party emerged from the desolate wood and beheld their destination; the small hamlet of Elfheim, a sparse collection of houses and shops in the shadow of a tan castle that put Cornelia to shame. Gerad?s eyes lit up on sight, gaining him a disapproving glance from Elia.
?Sorry, old habits die hard,? he explained sheepishly. ?What are we here for, anyway??
?We need to find out what?s causing the light of the Crystals to fade,? explained Leo. ?The Elves are ancient and wise; they must know something about it.?
The party made their way through the village, ignoring the stares of disbelief and fear from the Elves on either side, until they reached the castle gates. A pair of small, thin men with pointed ears, bronze armour and green caps stood at either side of the entrance, clutching spears that exceeded the heights of the guards. As the Light Warriors approached, they both stepped forwards, pointing their spears at the newcomers. Three of them raised their hands; Dathen remained defiantly still.
?Halt!? snapped the one on the right, glaring at Dathen. ?Put your hands up, Mage.?
?I am not sure that is a good idea,? replied Dathen. ?We only wish to speak with your ruler. These hostilities really are quite unnecessary.?
?Shut up!? snapped the other guard. ?Raise your hands, or we?ll kill you!?
?Oh, very well,? shrugged Dathen, slowly raising his arms above his head. ?But do not pretend that you were not warned. Dark!?
A pair of black orbs shot from Dathen?s raised hands, striking the Elven soldiers directly in the eyes and forming a cloud of dense black mist that clung to their faces. They dropped their spears and rubbed their eyes frantically, trying to clear their vision. Dathen silently motioned for his companions to follow and, making as little noise as possible, they crept past the blinded guards and into the castle.
?What did you do that for?? demanded Leo, once they were out of earshot. ?We came here to speak to the Elves, not to attack them!?
?I haven?t attacked anyone,? replied Dathen. ?They?ll be fine; the spell only lasts a minute or so. In any case, they seemed quite intent on arresting us, and I thought it best that we meet the Elven prince on our own terms.?
Leo grunted his approval, and the group silently navigated the corridors of the Elven Castle to the throne room. Upon arrival, though, they saw that the throne had been removed, replaced with a large four-poster bed in which a small form lay motionless. An elf in white robes and a turban sat at the bedside, his head bowed, and guards with spears lined the walls.
?Good day to you, sir,? declared Dathen, stepping forward quite calmly. ?We seek an audience with the Prince of Elfheim. Is he here??
?You would know,? replied the robed elf. ?Guards, seize them!?
The soldiers immediately turned on the Light Warriors, lowered their spears and charged. Dathen spread his arms wide, bowed his head and uttered a single syllable.
?Slow!?
A faint blue glow surrounded each of the soldiers, and their rate of movement began to decrease until they were barely moving at all.
?Most impressive,? commented the turbaned elf, rising from his seat and walking towards the group. ?Very well; you have my attention. Who are you and what are you doing here??
?We are the Warriors of Light,? explained Elia. ?We must speak with your Prince? where is he??
The elf waved one hand towards the bed he?d been sitting beside. ?Right there, as he has been for the last four years.?
?Four years?? asked Gerad. ?I?ve overslept, but that?s??
?He has been cursed,? explained the elf. ?By Astos, the Dark Elf King. He was the Prince?s uncle, but madness took him and he cursed the Prince and fled.?
?You are a white wizard, are you not?? asked Dathen. ?Can you not lift the curse??
?I have tried? but Astos? magic is too strong. The Crown of Elfheim?s power is needed, and Astos took it with him.?
?If we can retrieve it,? Leo said slowly, ?can you awaken him??
?I cannot see why not,? replied the healer. ?But Astos is not to be trifled with; he commands powerful magic, and his skill with a blade is second to none.?
?Wrong,? replied Leo. ?He?s second to me.?

Half an hour later, the Light Warriors had reached the gates of the Western Keep, a dilapidated stronghold hidden deep in the forest. Each of them made their own preparations to confront the Dark Elf King: Leo and Gerad drew their swords; Elia hung back apprehensively, her staff glowing faintly; Dathen raised his dagger like a baton, barely noticing the amber surges of electricity that occasionally pulsed through it. After a few seconds of silence, Gerad cautiously stepped forward and nudged the wooden doors with his left hand, before yelping and leaping backwards.
?Some sort of magic barrier,? he said, blowing on his steaming fingers to cool them. ?Electrified. Anyone got an idea??
?If I may,? replied Dathen; Gerad, recognising his intent, immediately stepped aside. ?Thundara!? He suddenly thrust his knife forwards, and a powerful fork of lightning shot from it, striking the door and causing sparks to dance off its wooden surface. After a few tense moments, the barrier was overcome and a small explosion marked the removal of the door. The Light Warriors entered warily, Leo taking point, followed by Gerad and Elia, then Dathen covering the rear. The Cornelian soldier carefully navigated the maze of debris-strewn corridors towards the throne room. All castles, be they grand strongholds like Cornelia or crumbling relics like the Western Keep, were laid out in much the same way. While this was presumably simpler for the highly-paid architects, it did make things much easier for individuals like Garland ? or, in this instance the Light Warriors, who now found themselves in the doorway of the throne room.
?So you?ve come.? A tall, thin, pale-skinned figure wearing a black robe, torn and bloodied from countless battles, rose from the half-demolished throne and strode towards the intruders. A scabbard hung from his waist; the hilt of the sword concealed within was golden and bore the emblem of Elfheim. A gold crown encrusted with numerous jewels sat atop the man?s bald head, slanted at an ungainly angle. Pale red eyes regarded the group of four with cold disinterest, and his voice held all the warmth and emotion of a corpse. ?I knew it would not be long? you are the fabled Warriors of Light, I presume.?
?And you must be Astos,? smirked Gerad. ?That?s a nice crown you?ve got there. Don?t suppose you?d like to hand it back, would you??
?Not at all,? replied Astos, his thin lips curling into a wicked smile. ?Elfheim belongs to me, and the curse I placed upon my foolish nephew has almost run its course.?
?You mean eternal sleep isn?t all of it?? asked the bandit. ?Didn?t think so. That seems a bit boring.?
?He has only a short time left on this earth,? hissed the Dark Elf. ?A week, maybe ten days? it matters not. His healer has done well to keep him alive for so long, but my magic is greater than his. He will die, and I shall reclaim the throne.?
?That?s not going to happen, Astos,? Gerad replied smugly. ?Because if you know that we?re the Warriors of Light, you probably know that we killed Garland.?
Astos?s eyes narrowed, and he slowly placed his right hand on the hilt of his sword, curling his fingers around the cold metal.
?Sir Garland? defeated by you?? he asked, laughing mirthlessly. ?What a pathetic ruse.?
?Not at all,? replied Leo, holding his sword vertically with its tip touching the floor. ?Do you recognise this blade? I took it from Garland when I killed him.?
?So, it is true after all?? muttered the Dark Elf. ?And just as he was killed by you, you shall all die at my hand.?
As he spoke, his stance changed slowly; he now stood with his left foot forward, right hand still gripping the hilt of his sheathed sword, left arm raised at his side. His long, ghost-white fingers were pointed straight at Gerad.
?You, impudent fool, will be the first to die,? he said coldly; a strange black mist began to form around his fingers, and at his command it shot forth, speeding through the air for only a second before slowing and expanding. No longer a shapeless cloud, it now bore the semblance of a small figure, hunched over and clad in a hooded black cloak. Beneath its hood, only empty darkness could be seen. A pair of skeletal hands protruded from the ragged sleeves of its cloak, clutching the sleek wooden handle of a comically large sickle. It floated in silence for what seemed like minutes, filling the room with a deathly chill, before slowly turning to face Astos.
?Kill the arrogant young fool,? he ordered. The hovering phantom slowly turned, its hollow gaze fixed on Gerad, who seemed paralysed with fear.
?Erm, guys?? he muttered, trembling slightly as the reaper approached at a leisurely pace, its enormous sickle raised above what would have been its head. ?A little help here??
?Interfere and you die first,? hissed Astos, glaring at Elia as she raised her staff. However, this did not seem to deter her; the tip of her staff began to glow as she took a step towards Gerad.
?Elia, no!? he exclaimed shakily, managing to raise his sabre. ?I?ll handle this??
The phantom suddenly exploded into a cloud of black smoke, speeding through the air and rematerialising only a foot away from Gerad and swinging its scythe down at him. He raised his blade determinedly, deflecting the curved blade. However, the ghoul would not be defeated so easily; it spun in mid-air, arcing the enormous blade towards its victim once more. Again he blocked it, thrusting his curved sword forwards, straight at the empty hood. Just before it made contact, the spectre disappeared in a burst of black smoke, reappearing behind Gerad and swinging its scythe at his head. He quickly ducked, spinning round to slash at it again.
?What are you three doing?? he asked, dodging another attack from the reaper. ?Get him!?
Leo nodded and took a step towards Astos, raising his sword and taking his shield from his back. The Dark Elf drew his weapon, gripping its golden hilt in both hands. Its azure blade shimmered as he slowly closed in on his opponent.
?You see this blade, human?? he hissed. ?Mythril. Even Garland?s sword cannot withstand it.?
?We?ll see,? Leo replied calmly. ?Dathen, get ready??
?Temper!? said the Black Mage; a faint golden glow surrounded Leo?s blade as Astos swung at him, and he raised his sword defensively. A loud clang filled the ruined throne room, but Leo?s blade remained intact, much to the Dark Elf King?s surprise. However, to Dathen?s unseen astonishment, so did the mythril sword.
?So, you have some skill,? hissed Astos, glaring at Dathen. ?I am impressed; you will die last.?
?So thoughtful of you to plan ahead,? Dathen replied politely. ?But I?m afraid that isn?t going to happen.?
Without allowing Astos the opportunity to reply, Leo tossed his shield aside and swung his sword two-handed at his adversary?s torso. The attack was blocked and swiftly countered with a high horizontal slash, but Leo ducked and thrust his sword forwards. Astos sidestepped, raising his blade to strike while his opponent was vulnerable?
?Invis!? Elia?s staff flashed suddenly as the mythril blade descended towards Leo?s back, and at the last possible second he disappeared, becoming almost completely transparent as the sword passed harmlessly through him. Only his weapon, still enchanted by Dathen?s spell, remained fully tangible. Astos gave his semi-visible enemy a confused look as the glowing sword was swung at his stomach, cutting through the black robes and scraping against concealed armour.
?That was impressive,? commented Dathen, glancing at Elia. ?But haven?t we forgotten something??
Elia gasped and turned to face Gerad, who now looked quite exhausted; the battle had been quite short, but Astos?s phantom was blindingly fast, and its unpredictable movements had soon worn him out.
?Relax, I?m not done yet,? he said, trying to look reassuring as he leaned backwards to avoid a high strike from the ghoul?s sickle and jumped over the low sweep that followed. ?I could dance all day??
A sudden upward strike from the spectre knocked his sabre from his grasp, and it soared through the air for a few seconds before coming to rest with a loud clattering sound, ten feet behind its wielder.
?Oh, brilliant,? he muttered. The reaper immediately spun on the spot, the blade of its sickle slashing across the thief?s chest. It left no visible wound, but the effect was immediate; he flinched on contact, and dropped to the ground without a word. Elia cried out in futile desperation, but the fiend had already turned its attention to her, and her face was drained of colour as she backed away slowly; she, unlike Gerad, was not a skilled combatant, and wouldn?t be able to last as long as he had. With a sudden burst of darkness it was upon her, raising its sickle to claim another victim. Before it could strike, the White Mage thrust her staff forwards, the glowing tip only inches from the empty hood.
?Diara!?
A blinding flash of light erupted from the wooden weapon?s tip; the ghoul froze for a few seconds, before imploding with a pathetic squeal, sickle and all. Dathen immediately rushed to her side, placing one hand on her shoulder; she was shaking and breathing heavily, and her face was still pale.
?Are you alright?? he asked comfortingly.
?Yes? I?m fine?? she replied, though her expression said otherwise. ?But? Gerad!?
She immediately ran to the fallen bandit, kneeling at his side and checking his pulse with two fingers. Dathen slowly followed, though his attention was fixed on Leo and Astos, who still duelled furiously. Astos did not seem to have noticed his ghostly servant?s demise.
?Be strong, Elia,? he said evenly. ?You can do this. I have faith in you.?
The White Mage nodded shakily, but didn?t seem convinced. However, Dathen had no time to continue encouraging her; leaving her to her own devices, he slowly approached the duelling swordsmen, remaining a safe distance away while drawing his knife from his sleeve and using it to etch out an invisible pattern in the air. Leo was beginning to show signs of exhaustion, while Astos had hardly broken a sweat. Anyone could tell which way this was going.
?Admit defeat, human,? hissed Astos, his sword hurtling towards Leo?s neck and missing by mere inches; the Cornelian soldier?s legs had chosen that moment to temporarily fail him, and he fell to one knee as the mythril blade passed overhead. ?And I will ensure that your death is painless.?
?I?ll never surrender,? muttered Leo, using his sword to prop himself up. ?Not while there?s still breath in my body??
?Well,? smirked the Dark Elf, a wicked smile crossing his pale lips. ?I can soon change that.?
At this moment, Dathen?s complex spell was completed; with a cry of ?Haste!? he thrust his dagger forwards, sending from it a spiral current of red-orange vapour. This magical surge struck Leo in the small of the back, seeping into his skin and flowing through his veins. His strength returning, he made a vicious swipe at Astos, then another, and another. With each passing second he grew faster, his blade reduced to a blur as he leapt around his bewildered adversary, raining down blows on the Dark Elf King, until at last he fell to his knees, dropping his sword and clutching his heart with both hands. Dark green blood seeped between his fingers, and his breath came in ragged gasps. Leo slowed to a halt, the same green liquid dripping from the tip of his sword. As though sensing that the battle was over, the enchantment on his sword ceased, and the glow faded from the blackened steel.
?Impressive,? gasped Astos, glaring up at Leo with resentment. ?I did not think? that Garland?s would be the blade? to end my life??
?That was for Gerad,? Leo said bluntly, raising the black sword with both hands. ?Do you have any last words, Astos??
?I congratulate you, Light Warriors,? hissed the Dark Elf King. ?You may have defeated me? but they will not be so easily beaten.?
?You refer to the Four?? asked Dathen, a slight tremor in his voice.
?That is correct. You would do well to turn back? for you will never overcome the Four.?
The last glimmer of life left Astos, and he collapsed on his back with a quiet thud.
Sotek Posted: 04:09 Jun01 2007 Post ID: 1631820
Sotek
+
Astos? Mo' like yo' ass is toast!

Black mages rule. Good chapter, even though I was distracted by things throughout reading it. Also, I think we'd better hope that Elfheim has a sanctuary where they can resurect Gerad, or at least somebody who knows Life. Or Lyfe.

Seeing as I now have three short stories posted, I figure I may as well put all of them in my bio, so go there for links to "The Lab", "Daemon" and "Afterlife". Additionally, you should read my fic, The Crystals of Narlkant
Cataclysm Posted: 06:46 Jun01 2007 Post ID: 1631887
Cataclysm
Post Likes: 2
+
The Earth is dying and all Gerad is worried about is saying "Land Ho?"

Nice battle, for some reason they never seem to come off repetetive in any way.
Oh, and seeing as I never played the game, and know you like killing people, I do hope you let Gera survive. Judging by your sig he will, but you never know, if you plan on twisting the plot anything could happen.
Sig and avy by Jam Jar

Pandaemonium Posted: 14:22 Jun05 2007 Post ID: 1639293
Pandaemonium
+
Chapter 6

The Western Keep was silent. Leo discarded the bloodied sword that had once belonged to Garland and took up the mythril blade of Astos, recovering his shield from where it lay on the stone floor. Dathen stood over the corpse of the Dark Elf King, his head bowed in thought. Elia still knelt beside the motionless body of Gerad, her hands clasped over his chest, muttering desperate incantations. At last, Dathen crossed the room with silent steps, kneeling at Elia?s side.
?I don?t think it?s working,? she said in a choked voice, as thought fighting back tears. ?I?ve tried every spell I know? nothing changes.?
?Let me try something,? Dathen said quietly, slipping his left hand inside his robe and producing a small glass jar with a cork wedged firmly into it to secure the contents; a small mound of reddish powder. Dathen carefully removed the cork, took a pinch of the powder between his fingers and held it over Gerad?s body. As a muttered syllable escaped his lips, the powder ignited, and Dathen calmly sprinkled it onto the thief?s chest, causing Elia to swiftly remove her hands. As the burning powder made contact with Gerad, a faint red vapour began to rise from his body, forming a thin cloud that hovered for a moment before converging above his head. Dathen, meanwhile, had already corked the jar and replaced it inside his robe.
?What is that?? whispered Elia.
?Powdered phoenix down,? Dathen replied covertly, glancing at Leo, who was still occupied with the mythril blade. ?I won?t tell if you don?t.?
The red mist suddenly descended, rushing into Gerad?s mouth and nose. After a few seconds, he let out a loud cough and rolled onto his side, clutching at his chest.
?Well done, Elia,? proclaimed Dathen, patting the White Mage on the shoulder proudly. ?I knew you could do it.?
Elia gave him an uncomfortable smile, but didn?t reply.
?Gerad?? she asked slowly. ?Are you okay??
?Okay?? asked the bandit, struggling to his feet. ?Apart from feeling like I?ve been cut in half? Couldn?t be better.?
Recognising his voice, Leo turned suddenly and gave an audible gasp of surprise at the sight of his revived companion.
?Gerad!? he exclaimed. ?How? what happened??
?Elia brought me back,? said Gerad, with a brief smile at the White Mage. ?And it looks like I missed the fight, too. Shame. Where?s my sword??
Locating and retrieving his wayward sabre, Gerad approached the corpse of the Dark Elf, Astos, and took the crown from his head.
?Nice,? he muttered, holding it up to the light and examining it. ?Bet this?d be worth a few Gil? do we really have to give it back to the Elves??
?Yes,? Leo replied sternly. Gerad looked quite disappointed.
?Oh, alright? better hurry up, then. The sooner we get back, the sooner we can get our reward.?

?I hope this works? Cura!?
A faint nimbus of white energy surrounded the body of the Elf Prince, empowered by the crown gripped in Elia?s hands, and slowly he began to stir. The Light Warriors, the healer, the Elven soldiers all watched in silent anticipation as the Prince groaned and opened his eyes hesitantly, surveying the gathered throng with suspicion. Upon noticing that he?d regained consciousness, the crowd exploded in rapturous cheering.
?What? happened?? the Elf Prince asked shakily. ?How long have I been???
?Four years, Your Majesty,? replied the healer. ?You are most fortunate to be alive. Astos? curse was most potent.?
?Am I to believe that he has been defeated??
?He has. It was by the efforts of these four humans that he was slain.?
The Elf Prince sat up a little and surveyed the Light Warriors with interest: Elia still held the crown, and looked relieved that her efforts had worked; Leo and Gerad stood on the other side of the bed, the former wearing a look of pride, the latter with a broad grin on his face; Dathen was positioned at the foot of the bed, his arms folded patiently. Now that the initial excitement was over, he had lost interest in the situation.
?My greatest thanks to you all,? said the Prince, smiling at Elia as she placed the crown atop his head. ?I am forever in your debt.?
?Thought you might be,? smirked Gerad. ?Now, about our reward??
?We don?t need one,? Leo said decisively. ?We were only-?
?Shut up, Leo,? muttered Gerad, jabbing the Cornelian soldier in the ribs with his elbow. ?I just died, remember? I think that warrants a bit of payment.?
?Your friend is right, of course,? chuckled the Elf Prince. ?You have saved my life, and my country; it would be most improper for me not to repay you. I extend to you this small favour; you may each take one treasure from this castle.?
Before the young monarch had even finished speaking, Gerad had reached out and plucked the crown from atop his head, earning an outraged glare from the healer and some of the Elven soldiers. The Prince, though, merely laughed.
?At ease, men,? he said. ?He is welcome to it. As for the rest of you, name your desire.?
Leo placed one hand on the hilt the mythril sword he had taken from Astos, pulling it a fraction of the way out of its scabbard. The Prince nodded approvingly, before turning to Elia. Under his royal scrutiny, she flushed a deep red but held his gaze.
?I request only knowledge, Your Majesty,? she replied as evenly as she could. ?Is it possible to travel to Melmond by sea from the northern port??
?I believe so, milady,? replied the healer. ?Sail north-west around our coast; there is a canal manned by our soldiers. I will contact them presently, so that they will allow you to pass.?
Elia muttered her thanks, and all eyes turned to Dathen. Sensing their attention upon him, he turned slowly to face the bed, his face hidden in the shadow cast by the brim of his hat. He remained silent for a few moments, as if considering how to phrase his request? then, at last, he spoke.
?In your royal library, you will surely have a sizeable collection of ancient literature,? he stated. ?Bring to me a copy of the book ?Qurta il af Ona?, and I shall consider your debt repaid.?

The book was promptly delivered, and the Light Warriors left Elfheim, retracing their steps through the forest to where their ship awaited. Night was approaching, and by unanimous vote they elected to remain in port for the night.
As the waves lapped noisily against the ship?s hull, Gerad emerged from his cabin and walked to the stern of the ship, where a figure stood leaning on the railings, illuminated by the pale moonlight.
?Elia?? he asked; she glanced over her shoulder at him, her hood still pulled up over her head.
?Oh,? she said quietly. ?Hello.?
?You okay??
Elia nodded silently, returning her gaze to the dark sea below.
?I? I just wanted to thank you,? said Gerad, standing by the wooden rail next to her. ?For saving me.?
?Hmm?? muttered Elia. ?Oh? that was?? She suddenly thought of Dathen, and his jar of magical powder. I won?t tell if you don?t? ?It was nothing.?
?Not to me,? insisted Gerad, sidling a little closer to her. She didn?t seem to notice. ?That?s the first time anyone?s helped me? ever since I left Melmond.?
?How long ago was that?? enquired Elia, still gazing into the depths.
?Must be ten years now,? shrugged the thief. ?I never thought I?d end up going back there. Too many memories.?
?I?ve never been to Melmond. What?s it like??
Gerad hesitated, glancing around as though afraid that somebody might be listening.
?An absolute tip,? he replied at last. ?There?s hardly a building that hasn?t started falling apart or a street without a big crack in it. And that was a decade ago. I dread to think what it?s like now.?
?Has it always been like that??
?No? just since I left. I couldn?t stay there, not after everything that happened??
?How did it happen?? asked Elia. ?Was it something to do with the Earth Crystal??
?You could say that.? A hesitant pause, as though the subject was painful for Gerad to remember. ?Truth be told, I didn?t really want the Crystal??
?So why did you take it??
?Someone had to do something. Everyone else was too busy getting killed to bother protecting the Sanctuary.?
?Killed by what??
Gerad fell silent, shuddering involuntarily at the memory. ?A monster,? he said at last, his voice oddly hushed. ?It wanted the crystal. Killed everyone who got in its way? I don?t know why I did it; maybe it was just that, with all that death around me, I felt like I had to.?
?So you took the Crystal?? asked Elia. ?To stop the monster from getting it??
Gerad nodded stiffly. ?I don?t think it saw me,? he continued. ?By the time it got to the Sanctuary, I was long gone. Last I saw of it, it was heading towards the Devil?s Tail. Just? killed everyone and left..?
?I?m sorry,? muttered Elia; what else was there to say? ?I?m going to bed? goodnight, Gerad.?
?G?night,? replied Gerad, staring absently into the forest as Elia departed, heading below deck and closing the door behind her.
Cataclysm Posted: 14:45 Jun05 2007 Post ID: 1639367
Cataclysm
+
Not much to comment on really. Apart from the fact that Gerad was for once, the smartest person there in choosing gifts. Well, I guess the info was slightly useful too.

Anyway, reading the end, I predict that said monster should show up any time soon. Am I wrong? (Not a question to be answered.)
Sig and avy by Jam Jar

TestVirus101 Posted: 02:52 Jun06 2007 Post ID: 1640641
TestVirus101
Ah crap he's finally dead
Post Likes: 35
+
Elia fails at choosing rewards.
Sotek Posted: 12:51 Jun06 2007 Post ID: 1641010
Sotek
+
Reward analysis:

Gerad: Roflol
Leo: Seeing as it was Astos's sword, couldn't he have taken something else?
Elia: They did need to go to Melmond, but the gift wasn't technically so she should have done something else.
Dathen: That book is ominous. I guess it contains some of the more cool spells, like flare and death, but they will take ages to translate.

Cataclysm Posted: 15:11 Jun07 2007 Post ID: 1642928
Cataclysm
+
Seeing as your looking for people to post here, I'm going to ask the first question that comes into my head.

Will Gerad actually do something with his reward, or will he just wear it everywhere like a comical twat?
Sig and avy by Jam Jar

Pandaemonium Posted: 15:15 Jun07 2007 Post ID: 1642934
Pandaemonium
+
I haven't yet decided if he'll wear it or sell it. Probably both at some stage.
Cataclysm Posted: 15:42 Jun07 2007 Post ID: 1642997
Cataclysm
+
Gared wearing a crown sounds funny. And the situation would be doubled in hilarity if he was drunk.
Sig and avy by Jam Jar

Seos san Nekros Posted: 17:21 Jun07 2007 Post ID: 1643241
Seos san Nekros
+
Splendid. It moves a little bit fast, but in doing so, it captures the essence of Final Fantasy. Personally, I do not think it is your best work, but that is because you're basing it on Squaresoft, and you are a better writer than them. Granted, they've probably got quite an edge in game making, but that's beside the point. You're doing so well at writing like FF is known for that the overall quality has actually went down a tad from Lygace.

In any case, it is going fantastic.
[center]
[color=silver]
Thanks to V-Gamer for awesome sig and avy.
[url=http://s381.photobucket.com/albums/oo256/SeossanNekros/][color=silver]Gifts and such. Thanks guys. =D[/url]
[url=http://forums.supercheats.com/topic.php?topic=97843][size=13][color=silver]Short Story - Haunted[/url]
Pandaemonium Posted: 05:31 Jun11 2007 Post ID: 1650533
Pandaemonium
+
New chapter'd.

Chapter 7

?Ahoy, me hearties! Thar she blows; Melmond, to yer starboard! Weigh anchor, ye scurvy dogs!?
After a brief argument regarding Gerad?s pirate impersonation and why he shouldn?t do it, the Light Warriors? ship docked a short distance outside the village of Melmond. The four disembarked, with Gerad taking the lead and Dathen bringing up the rear as usual.
?I have to warn you,? the bandit said, sounding serious for the first time since he?d met the others. ?It?s not a pretty sight??
This was soon proven to be a drastic understatement as they reached the village; there wasn?t a single building that hadn?t started ? or finished ? falling to pieces, and huge cracks spread across the ground. The villagers seemed quite unaware of their settlement?s state of chronic disrepair; they hopped casually over the cracks and stepped back as chunks of masonry fell from the walls of nearby buildings, crashing to the ground in front of them.
?This is horrible,? muttered Elia. ?And it?s been like this since???
?Yeah,? replied Gerad. ?If we?re lucky, there?ll still be someone here who remembers the monster and knows where it is.?
?And if we?re not?? enquired Dathen. ?You haven?t got a contingency plan, have you??
?I?m a big picture guy,? shrugged Gerad. ?Not a detail guy. Anyway, it won?t come to that. The priest at the Sanctuary probably knows something about it.?
?I wouldn?t count on it,? Leo said hesitantly, pointing towards a crumbling ruin that seemed to have been a church at some stage in its life. Only part of the front wall remained standing; the rest had completely collapsed.
?Oh,? muttered Gerad, staring at the rubble. ?Damn.?
?Gerad? By Titan, it?s been too long!?
The bandit spun round, one hand on the hilt of his sabre, and found himself face to face with an elderly man wearing a long grey robe. The man?s wispy beard drooped from his chin, and the morning sun gleamed on the top of his bald head.
?Topapa!? exclaimed Gerad, releasing his sword and shaking the old man?s hand. ?Good to see you again, sir! Haven?t seen you since??
?Quite,? replied Topapa, smiling broadly. ?Who are your friends??
?Leo, Elia and Dathen,? Gerad said passively. ?The Light Warriors. So listen, we need-?
?The legendary Light Warriors prophecised by Lukahn??
?Yeah. As I was saying??
?My goodness, lad! And you?re one of them??
?If I say yes, will you stop interrupting?? snapped Gerad. ?I?m trying to ask you something!?
Looking slightly embarrassed, Topapa mumbled his apologies and fell silent. Gerad rolled his eyes at his companions before continuing.
?You remember what happened before I left town, right? We need to find the thing that did it. Where is it??
Leo and Dathen looked at each other suspiciously, both wondering why Gerad?s speech seemed so guarded. The old man, though, understood perfectly.
?It resides in the cave over on the Devil?s Tail,? he explained. ?But if you plan on entering, I would warn you; that is a cursed place, filled with unspeakable horrors. Your journey will not be a pleasant one.?
?It hasn?t exactly been a stroll on the beach so far, either,? retorted Gerad. ?Thanks for the tip. We?re off.?
?Good luck to you, lad,? replied Topapa. ?May the light of the Crystals show you the way.?
The Light Warriors headed out of the ruined village, making their way along the coast to the west.
?Who was that?? asked Leo, once they were safely out of earshot.
?Elder Topapa,? explained Gerad. ?He?s the priest I told you about. Used to preach at the Sanctuary until the town got attacked. I didn?t think he was still around.?
?So tell me,? interjected Dathen. ?What exactly is it that we?re going in search of??
?The Source of the Earth Crystal,? explained Elia. ?For each Crystal, there is a Shrine that houses its power. They?ve all become corrupted by something, but if we can find out what happened, we should be able to cleanse them.?
?Actually, I was referring to the unspeakable horror Topapa spoke of. Do you know what it is, Gerad??
Gerad gave the Black Mage an uneasy smile. ?If I told you, it wouldn?t be unspeakable, would it??

A short while later, the four arrived at the Devil?s Tail, a triangular peninsula connected to the main landmass by a long, narrow strip of land. When seen from above, it presumably resembled the spiked tail of a demonic beast, and up close it certainly held the same evil qualities; the stench of death and decay hung in the air, a harsh wind blew across the barren land, and a strange groaning sound seemed to come from deep underground, unnerving the four destined warriors.
?Is this it?? asked Leo, peering into a black hole gouged into the ground. A rickety-looking wooden ladder was propped against the inside of it, allowing descent into the depths. ?Doesn?t look very inviting.?
?Topapa said it?s here,? Gerad replied flatly; since his brush with death in Astos?s castle, his happy-go-lucky nature seemed to have diminished, and he?d become somewhat more serious. ?It?s here. Who?s coming??
Leo knelt beside the hole, lowering one leg in to find the top rung of the ladder, and slowly descended into the blackness. Gerad followed a few moments later, electing to jump straight in rather than using the ladder. As a quiet thump from below indicated his arrival, Elia climbed down somewhat awkwardly, her left hand gripping the ladder, her right holding her staff. After glancing around uneasily, Dathen followed her down, drawing his knife once he reached solid ground and wreathing it in flame.
?I can?t see a thing,? muttered Gerad, squinting into the darkness. ?Elia, can you light it up a bit??
?Of course. Dia.? A glowing sphere of white light formed on the tip of her staff, illuminating the cavern for all to see. ?Oh, my Gods??
The cave was filled with bodies in varying states of decay. Some appeared to be quite recent, while others had rotted away to little more than a skeleton. Those which still bore faces wore expressions of great terror and agony, and a few of them held extinguished torches or broken swords.
?This? this is unbelievable? muttered Dathen, his head bowed, one hand shielding his mouth and nose from the stench of death. ?There must be thousands of years? worth of bodies here? Gerad, what on earth is this place??
?A burial site,? the bandit explained in a choked voice. ?They used to bring the dead here? only stopped when the Crystals started fading.?
?Delightful,? Leo said dryly. ?Come on, let?s get this over with.?
As they made their way towards a nearby tunnel, using Elia?s staff to light the way, the same groaning sound they?d heard on the surface resonated through the darkness towards them.
?Gerad,? Leo said slowly, drawing his mythril sword and glancing at the thief. ?Please tell me that?s you.?
?What, that noise?? asked Gerad. ?I thought it was Dathen.?
?Don?t be absurd,? Dathen replied indignantly. ?Why would it be me??
?How would I know??
?You suggested it.?
As the argument continued, so did the sound; raising their weapons, all four Light Warriors fell silent and slowly turned towards the source of the unearthly groans.
A horde of rotting figures shambled towards them, some of them gripping rusty blades or flameless torches, moaning quietly as they approached at a gradual pace, decaying arms outstretched.
?Oh,? Dathen said calmly, seemingly ignorant of his retreating allies. ?What the devil??
?Join? us?? the corpses hissed in unison, shuffling ever closer, bringing with them the overpowering odour of rotten flesh. Dathen took a step back, raising his flaming knife and pointing it straight at the chest of the nearest zombie, but this gesture caused no hesitation in the undead mob.
?Dathen!? shouted Elia, already some distance down the tunnel. ?Run!?
?Join us?? the walking dead hissed again, now only a dozen yards from the Black Mage.
?I think not,? he said calmly, twirling his knife and pointing it straight upwards. ?Fira!?
The flaming aura around the blade shot forth, spiralling into the air above the undead hordes and exploding into several smaller fireballs. These rained down upon the decaying masses as Dathen turned tail and ran after his wayward companions. As they made their way deeper into the cave, more walking cadavers confronted them at every turn, forcing them down treacherously narrow passageways, deeper into the endless darkness.
?Stop!? shouted Leo, coming to a halt after what seemed like hours of running. ?Everyone? stop? this isn?t right.?
?Oh, you think?? Gerad asked sarcastically. ?Of course it?s not right, Leo! The dead aren?t supposed to walk!?
?I don?t think he means that,? Elia said shakily. Her voice was unusually high, and she was trembling uncontrollably. ?Don?t you think it?s odd? It?s almost like they?re trying to lead us somewhere??
?Isn?t that a good thing?? asked Gerad. ?We don?t know where we?re going, so? oh, wait??
?Velcome, Varriors of Light.? They turned suddenly, raising their weapons, and found themselves faced with a pale-skinned man clad in blood-red robes. Lank black hair hung to his shoulders, and he glared at the intruders with pale yellow eyes. ?Velcome to your doom.?
?You,? spat Gerad. ?You?re the one who attacked Melmond? you?re the vampire!?
?So you remember me, thieving child,? the robed creature replied curtly. ?It is to be expected? my master vas most disappointed ven I vas unable to bring him vhat he desired.?
?Am I supposed to care??
?No, child. You are supposed to die.? The vampire?s cloak rippled as though in a sudden breeze, and took the form of two red leathery wings, lined with pale blue veins. ?Destiny vill not be denied again? this time, I vill take vhat my master seeks!?
With a crack like breaking bones, the vampire?s great wings flapped and he shot towards Elia, his hands outstretched. Before she could react, the glowing staff was knocked from her grasp, clattering across the stone floor, and the undead monster slashed at the White Mage with sharpened fingernails curved like claws. She raised her arms to protect her face, and fell backwards as the beast tore at her flesh. As it advanced on its fallen prey, Leo lunged forwards, thrusting his mythril sword into its back. The creature howled in pain and spun round, striking Leo in the side of the head with a flailing arm and knocking him to the ground.
?Give me the Crystal, mortals!? it shouted, reaching for Elia?s throat with a clawed hand. ?Give it to me!?
?You want this, Vilbert?? asked Gerad; the vampire turned suddenly, forgetting about the White Mage, and saw Gerad calmly tossing the Earth Crystal into the air and catching it. ?Come and get it.?
Uttering a guttural snarl of rage, the monster shot towards Gerad with claws poised to strike, but he merely sidestepped and tossed the precious object into the air. The vampire froze, watching as its prize arced through the darkness towards the stone ground. ?No!? it hissed, darting through the air in pursuit of the Crystal, but as it drew closer, a bolt of lightning shot from the darkness of the cave, propelling the jewel towards Elia and Leo.
?Vhat is this?? demanded the vampire, halting in confusion and taking a step back as a figure in dark robes and a wide-brimmed hat emerged from the shadows, clutching a shining dagger.
?Welcome to your doom,? Dathen said calmly, thrusting his knife into the vampire?s chest. ?Fire.?
The vampire let out an agonised screech as its skin began to smoulder, and Dathen took a step back as roaring flames exploded from the undead creature?s body, reducing it to ashes in seconds.
?Good job, Dathen,? commented Gerad. ?Didn?t see you there.?
?That was the idea,? the Mage replied simply. ?Is everyone alright??
?Should be,? replied Leo, standing up and helping Elia to her feet. ?Is that what?s been corrupting the Crystal?s source??
?I don?t think so,? muttered Elia, retrieving her staff from the other side of the chamber. ?It spoke of its master? there must be something else down here. Cura!?
A white glow surrounded her wounded arms, healing the bloody gashes in seconds, and Gerad bent down to retrieve the Earth Crystal.
?Hey,? he said hesitantly. ?Is anyone else?s Crystal doing this??
Dathen produced the green Wind Crystal from his pocket and held it next to the Earth Crystal; while the former was still pulsing at its usual slow rate, the latter was flashing much more rapidly, as though reacting to something nearby.
?I think you broke it,? commented Gerad. ?It wasn?t doing this before.?
?It?s because we?re near the source,? explained Elia. ?We must be close? come on, let?s see if we can find it.?
Using the Crystal?s golden glow as their guide, the Light Warriors slowly searched the cavern, keeping a wary eye out for the hordes of undead that had led them here. The groans had become quieter and less frequent; they must have given up now that the vampire was defeated.
?Wait,? Gerad said suddenly, stopping by the rear wall of the cave, opposite the tunnel they?d entered the chamber through. ?It?s here, I know it is! Right here!?
Sure enough, the Crystal?s throbbing had become almost berserk; sporadic flashes of golden light shone throughout the cavern, illuminating what seemed to be a stone slab, seven feet tall and three feet wide, set into the cavern?s wall.
?What is that?? asked Elia. ?Some kind of seal? I think there?s something written on it??
She raised her shining staff, holding it closer to the slab, and in the brilliant white light of Dia, the engravings were revealed.

Do not stand at my grave and cry; I am not there ? I did not die.
Time an endless river flows, from whence it came, no man may go.
Ancient demon of aeons past, thy curse on me shall ever last.
Inside this place I serve thee well, ?til one of us falls back to Hell.

?Very cheerful,? muttered Leo. ?Is this the source??
?There?s another chamber behind this slab,? explained Dathen. ?The source is in there.?
?How do you know that?? asked Leo, eyeing the Black Mage suspiciously.
?I just do. Stand back, and I shall prove it.?
The other three Light Warriors backed off warily, and Dathen raised his knife, wreathing it in flames that flickered and danced on the slab. The dagger left a thin trail of fire in its wake as Dathen etched out a blazing symbol in the air, each stroke of the blade infusing the result with more magical power. At last it was ready, and with a swirl of the knife and a forward thrust he released it upon the seal.
?Firaga!?
An intense orb of flame struck the stone slab, burning brightly for a few moments before exploding into a dome of fire. It expanded outwards for a few moments, drawing dangerously close to the caster before sucking itself inwards and disappearing. The slab was gone, leaving in its place a small stone staircase that led even deeper underground.
?Behold, the path to the source,? he said calmly. ?Now, let us restore the power of the earth. Come, my friends.?
Cataclysm Posted: 07:17 Jun11 2007 Post ID: 1650612
Cataclysm
+
Firaga already? How far in are we?

I would just like to also express my sheer anger, because this shrine storyline is turning out exactly how I planed on making my Rp.
Sig and avy by Jam Jar

Seos san Nekros Posted: 08:05 Jun11 2007 Post ID: 1650649
Seos san Nekros
+
Ravaging skeletons forcing them to track down a vampire? Uber!

Good chapter, Pan. I don't really have any predictions at this moment other than the obvious possibility of something large and unfriendly. Keep it up.
[center]
[color=silver]
Thanks to V-Gamer for awesome sig and avy.
[url=http://s381.photobucket.com/albums/oo256/SeossanNekros/][color=silver]Gifts and such. Thanks guys. =D[/url]
[url=http://forums.supercheats.com/topic.php?topic=97843][size=13][color=silver]Short Story - Haunted[/url]
Sotek Posted: 08:39 Jun11 2007 Post ID: 1650677
Sotek
+
Tom: Yeah, Pan has the annoying habit of stealing people's ideas before they use them. It happens all the time, you'll get used to it.

Pan: So I take it that the net chapter is the battle against _____ then? Very goodly chapter there, though how's Dathen learned Firaga so early on? I thought that was later on... Anyway, I expect the next chapter to be pure winfulness, due to the prsence of _____.

Cataclysm Posted: 13:53 Jun11 2007 Post ID: 1651346
Cataclysm
+
Whoever is, it sounds pwnsome. Could this assumption be correct?
Sig and avy by Jam Jar

jamarie Posted: 16:22 Jun13 2007 Post ID: 1656647
jamarie
+
I was wondering about Firaga too, bit early isn't it? Nice chapter, can't wait for the next.

[right]~ J A M A R I E // C R Y S T A L U T O P I A ~[/color][/right]

Pandaemonium Posted: 16:35 Jun13 2007 Post ID: 1656695
Pandaemonium
+
Everyone who asked: Nope, not too early for Firaga. It's a level 5 spell, and is traditionally obtained in the village of Melmond.

Tom: Like Sotek said, I always steal ideas that I don't know other peope are using. All it means is it was a good idea.

Seos: Since you didn't specify when said large and unfriendly thing will appear, you're obviously going to be right. *kick*

Sotek: ______ is indeed appearing soon.

New chapter will be posted on Friday or Saturday, probably.
screencheat2 Posted: 09:25 Jun15 2007 Post ID: 1660490
screencheat2
+
Well, I just read all the chapters, and it's pretty cool, even though I'm not a big of a fan of the Final Fantasy series.
FFN account with some stories. ._. People say they're pretty good, so check them out! Please? *puppy eyes*
"Instant failure, just add Michael!" - Dani
Displaying Page 4 of 7

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Last     Previous | Next
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close