Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

Final Fantasy: Rise of the Fiends

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 1 of 7

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Last     Next
Pandaemonium Posted: 02:19 May16 2007 Post ID: 1598244
Pandaemonium
Post Likes: 0
+
Hello, good evening and welcome to FerlaFic 13. Before we proceed, I would like to inform you that this is a non-smoking fic, and has been rated suitable for anyone who doesn't fail. People who do fail must be accompanied by someone who doesn't at all times. Also, be warned that this fic will contain violence, strong language, themes that some readers may find upsetting, mahoosive explosions, swords, cool hats and everything else you've come to expect from a FerlaFic over the years. The soundtrack of this fic, along with souvenir T-shirts and coffee mugs, can be purchased in the foyer on the way out.

20th Century Wolf presents...

A FerlaFic production...

Written and directed by Pandaemonium...

Final Fantasy: Rise of the Fiends

Chapter 1

The cloaked figure stepped off the ship at the harbour just outside of Cornelia and tossed a few Gil to the ferryman, before pulling his dark blue robe tighter around his shoulders and tugging the brim of his large tan hat down until it just covered his eyes. A strange chill hung on the wind?s breath, perhaps the result of the fading Crystals losing their grip on the elements. He instinctively patted the pocket of his robe with a hand concealed within his baggy sleeve, felt the reassuring hardness of his precious cargo, and set off towards the city of Cornelia.
If the prophecy is to be believed, they will be here, he thought as he approached the inn. Everything is as he predicted? the decay of the earth, the swarms of monsters? the disappearance of Princess Sara was unexpected, but there are no coincidences in matters of fate. It must have some significance.
A sudden outburst of shouting from the weapon store distracted the Black Mage, and as he glanced up the street, he saw a slim, brown-haired figure clad in a green shirt and black trousers burst out of the store, clutching a brown leather pouch that rattled loudly as he ran. The shopkeeper ? a rather broad man, and hence in no condition to pursue the thief ? emerged from the shop shortly afterwards, shouting at the top of his voice and brandishing a large hammer. The thief sprinted away from the scene of the crime, seemingly ignorant of the Mage standing between him and freedom.
?Good day to you, sir,? he said calmly, standing perfectly still as the thief skidded to a stop, looking extremely agitated. ?I do not believe that belongs to you. I must insist that you return it at once.?
?Of course it belongs to me,? the thief replied, smirking. ?Granted, it didn?t belong to me two minutes ago, but now it does. Now, if you don?t mind, you?re in my way.?
?But I do mind. The Cornelian Army will surely be upon you in a matter of minutes, and I?m sure you don?t wish to answer to them.?
?Which is exactly why you should step aside before I hurt you.?
?Are you sure you want to do that?? asked the Mage, inclining his head slightly. ?You would not benefit from attacking me.?
?We?ll see about that.? The thief moved with blinding speed, drawing a rapier from his belt, its thin blade glinting in the morning sunlight. He lunged at the Mage and thrust his weapon at his chest, but a flash of lightning shot from a hand concealed within the sleeve of his robe, striking the thief directly in the centre of his chest and knocking him to the ground.
?Not bad,? muttered the thief, getting to his feet. ?I know when I?m beat??
?Then you will return what you stole??
?Not likely.? The green-clad shoplifter threw his rapier before his aggressor could react, the blade piercing his right shoulder and causing him to yell in pain.
?An unwise decision,? he said bluntly, removing the sword from his anatomy and tossing it aside. ?You are unarmed. Fire!?
He raised his left hand, and an orb of flame shot from it, blasting the thief onto his back once more. This time, though, he recovered more swiftly and was soon back on his feet, lunging to recover his sword. As his fingers closed around its hilt, he leapt at his enemy once more?
?Stop it!?
A young woman clad in white robes with red lining stepped between the combatants, holding each of them at bay with one hand. She had blonde hair beneath her hood, and a wooden staff was gripped in her right hand, which she was using to keep the Black Mage at bay.
?That?s enough! Stop fighting!? she said angrily. ?Cure!?
Both fighters winced as magical energy coursed through their bodies, healing their wounds and restoring their strength.
?My name is Elia,? she said when both had fully recovered. ?I come in search of the Warriors of Light.?
?Dathen,? the Black Mage said simply, extending his hand, which Elia reluctantly shook. ?I also seek the Warriors? well, three of them, at least. I believe I may be fated to join them.?
?What makes you think that??
Dathen produced a green crystal from the pocket of his robe and held it out for Elia to examine. Every now and then, it emitted a faint glow, a pulse of emerald light, as though calling out to something.
?The Wind Crystal,? whispered Elia. ?It?s beautiful??
She slowly slipped her left hand into the pocket of her robes and produced another crystal, identical to Dathen?s in all but colour; hers was a deep blue, and pulsed with a faint azure aura.
?Those Crystals look familiar,? commented the thief, holding out a rust-coloured crystal which gave off a golden glow in time with the other two. ?I?m Gerad, by the way.?
?Where did you get that?? demanded Dathen. ?I assume you stole it??
?Acquired, if you don?t mind,? smirked Gerad. ?From Melmond.?
?It seems our encounter was more than just coincidence,? said Elia. ?Gerad, bearer of the Earth Crystal? Dathen, bearer of the Wind Crystal? and me, the bearer of the Water Crystal? already, three of the Crystals have gathered. As for the fourth, the legends say that it is somewhere in Cornelia. Its bearer should become known to us soon.?
?Wait a minute, Elia,? said Gerad, raising his hands submissively. ?I didn?t come here to become a legendary warrior or save the world.?
?Clearly,? Dathen replied dryly. ?You came here to rob, pillage and plunder, but destiny calls to the most unlikely ones. As proven here.?
?This Crystal was not meant for me.?
?But it belongs to you, as you so aptly said only moments ago.?
Gerad scowled at the Black Mage, but before he could reply, a trio of soldiers approached from the direction of Castle Cornelia, drawing broadswords as they reached the three Crystal-bearers.
?Don?t try to escape, thief,? said their leader, a blond-haired man clad in chain mail. ?You?re under arrest.?
?Not I, good sir knight,? said Gerad, bowing deeply. ?For I am one of the destined four, a Warrior of Light. Got a Crystal to prove it, see??
?Sudden change of heart, Gerad?? asked Dathen, folding his arms and pulling the brim of his hat down further. ?I?d like to say I?m surprised, but I?m afraid I can?t.?
?Leave him alone,? muttered Elia. ?You don?t have to judge him so harshly. He?s one of us now.?
Dathen shrugged, but didn?t reply. The soldiers, meanwhile, were engaged in a quiet discussion about the fate of the thief.
?I?ve heard of this Gerad. He?s wanted all over the world. The Bikkeneers even have a bounty on him.?
?We can?t defy Lukahn?s prophecy. If he is a Warrior of Light, then we must allow him to go free.?
?He probably stole the Crystal!?
?Nonetheless, he has united it with the others. It is as the prophecies foretold.?
?Colonel Denton, we leave the decision to you. What should we do??
The leader of the soldiers was lost in thought for some time, debating whether or not to let this thief go free. He was one of the most infamous thieves in the world, but he was also a Warrior of Light, and to incarcerate him would be to impede the prophecy and possibly ? worst case scenario ? cause the world to decay into darkness.
?Take him to the Castle,? he said eventually. ?Along with the others. His Highness will surely be pleased to meet the Warriors of Light.?
The reactions to this comment were mixed; Gerad looked as though he?d been consigned to the gallows, Elia began quivering with excitement, and Dathen merely nodded, quite unfazed by the prospect of standing before the King of Cornelia. The soldiers led the Warriors of Light through the city towards Castle Cornelia, making no attempt at conversation as they ascended the stairs to the throne room. After only a few minutes, they stood before King Stephen and Queen Jayne.
?Welcome, Leo,? said the King, eyeing the soldier and his companions suspiciously. ?What is the meaning of this??
?Your Highness, I bring great news,? said Leo, kneeling before his King. ?We have found the Warriors of Light spoken of in Lukahn?s prophecy.?
?Is that so? How can you be certain??
?They bear the legendary Crystals, Sire. There can be no error.?
King Stephen eyed the thief and the two Mages carefully, as though reading their minds.
?There are but three, Colonel,? he said at last. ?The legends spoke of four.?
?I know this, Sire,? replied Leo. ?But before he departed for Crescent Lake, Lukahn entrusted me with this??
He reached into his left pocket and produced a ruby-red crystal, which pulsed at the same pace as the other three, like a magical heartbeat sustaining the world.
?I am the fourth, Your Highness,? he said, rising to his feet. ?The prophecy will be realised. We will restore the Crystals to grace.?
?Confident though I am in your ability to fulfil this task,? King Stephen said slowly, ?I am uncertain as to whether or not you are truly ready for such responsibility? and there remains the matter of my daughter, Princess Sara. I cannot commit forces to the fulfilment of Lukahn?s prophecy while she is still in Garland?s custody.?
?That traitorous dog must pay,? said Leo. ?We shall defeat him.?
?Do not be so hasty, Leo,? said Dathen, observing the swordsman from under the brim of his hat. ?I have heard of this Garland. None can match his skill with a blade. While I admire your courage, such an attempt would surely be suicidal.?
?I have fought at Garland?s side,? replied Leo, looking straight at Dathen while remaining in a kneeling position. ?He was once in the service of the Cornelian Army, but now, he has betrayed us. For that, we will strike him down.?
?If you are certain that it is your duty, then I wish you the very best of luck,? said King Stephen. ?He has taken refuge in an abandoned temple to the north, past the Earthgift Shrine. It is a wicked place, guarded by hordes of goblins and undead warriors, but I am certain that you will be able to overcome them.?
?No problem,? muttered Gerad. ?Just leave it to us, Your Highness. We?ll get your daughter back.?
?You seem very cocky for a mere thief,? commented Dathen. ?Could it be that there?s something you?re not telling us??
?Hey, there?s lots I?m not telling you,? smirked Gerad. ?Anyway, I finished being a mere thief about ten minutes ago. I am now a Warrior of Light, defender of peace and destroyer of darkness. Garland needs a beating, and we?re the ones to give it to him.?
?Gerad?s right,? said Elia, voicing her opinion for the first time since entering the castle. ?Garland must be defeated. We will not disappoint you, Your Highness.?
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
Sotek Posted: 09:55 May16 2007 Post ID: 1598464
Sotek
+
Yay, Gerad! Thieves rule, especially this one. Absolutely great first chapter, already can't wait for the next one. Woo!

Seeing as I now have three short stories posted, I figure I may as well put all of them in my bio, so go there for links to "The Lab", "Daemon" and "Afterlife". Additionally, you should read my fic, The Crystals of Narlkant
jamarie Posted: 11:24 May16 2007 Post ID: 1598563
jamarie
+
Agreed. This thief wins teh intarweb for being awesomely funny. Nice chapter, cant wait for the next.

[right]~ J A M A R I E // C R Y S T A L U T O P I A ~[/color][/right]

Cervantes De Leon Posted: 14:51 May16 2007 Post ID: 1598873
Cervantes De Leon
+
Good start, though I'll keep proper judgement for later. I will say though that Gerad looks like he's going to steal the show here (lol).

By ozzo

Mission debriefing: Now available
Cataclysm Posted: 01:19 May17 2007 Post ID: 1600350
Cataclysm
Post Likes: 2
+
Bloody hell that pun was bad.

Anyway, it's good to see that you've returned to the classic crystal storyline, and I'm hoping that this Garland is the one we saw in FFIX. Pwnsome villain indeed.

Everything seemed to happen a little fast though. Being Final Fantasy I guess that sort of thing is normal, but chapter 1 over and they're already on their way to defeat a Lord of evil? (Or whatever you want to call him.) Judging by this being Final Fantasy and you being the author, there is something far more sinister being covered up for later, am I right?
Sig and avy by Jam Jar

Pandaemonium Posted: 02:13 May17 2007 Post ID: 1600370
Pandaemonium
+
I haven't played FF9, so it seems a bit unlikely that I'll be using characters from it.

I reveal no plot details at this time. You will find out when I post the next chapter.
TestVirus101 Posted: 02:29 May17 2007 Post ID: 1600375
TestVirus101
Ah crap he's finally dead
Post Likes: 35
+
This is an FF1 Fan fic Cat... D= Please get facts straight.

Nice work there Wolf, I didn't really find Gerad as funny as people claim, personally I found him to be likeable in the sense his witty comments are pretty darn smart =D
Seos san Nekros Posted: 05:01 May17 2007 Post ID: 1600482
Seos san Nekros
+
I do think it seemed just a tad bit rushed, but I also realize it's an FF fic. And I know I'd be terrible at FF fics, so I have no improvements to make. Either way, fantastic start, Cez. I'll try to keep up with it.

Oh, and I want to be first to notice the name Denton. Am I too late?

[/Speedy fic review]

« Last edited by Seos san Nekros on May 17th 2007 »
[center]
[color=silver]
Thanks to V-Gamer for awesome sig and avy.
[url=http://s381.photobucket.com/albums/oo256/SeossanNekros/][color=silver]Gifts and such. Thanks guys. =D[/url]
[url=http://forums.supercheats.com/topic.php?topic=97843][size=13][color=silver]Short Story - Haunted[/url]
Pandaemonium Posted: 12:05 May17 2007 Post ID: 1600748
Pandaemonium
+
*Fanfare and confetti*
YOU'RE WINNER.

Congratulations, you're the first to spot Leo's surname. You win a free sword.
Sotek Posted: 13:17 May17 2007 Post ID: 1600797
Sotek
+
There was a competition on? Oh well...

How often will the chapters be posted then Pan?

Seeing as I now have three short stories posted, I figure I may as well put all of them in my bio, so go there for links to "The Lab", "Daemon" and "Afterlife". Additionally, you should read my fic, The Crystals of Narlkant
Repner Posted: 18:47 May17 2007 Post ID: 1601712
Repner
+
Nice choice on Garland, the first boss to ever appear on the Final Fantasy series

Looks good so far

EDIT: and also, Lol at the Monty Python pic. I love that movie

« Last edited by Repner on May 17th 2007 »
Pandaemonium Posted: 02:37 May18 2007 Post ID: 1602127
Pandaemonium
+
Is that a Repner? In the FF&RP Forum? How strange.

New chapters will be posted at a snail's pace, because my parents keep interfering with my productive processes by recruiting me to do heavy lifting and manual labour. I'll probably manage one a week.
Cataclysm Posted: 06:11 May18 2007 Post ID: 1602222
Cataclysm
Post Likes: 2
+
Well, I have to shovel gravel most days. And dig holes. Tough luck.

Anyway, crap! This word was used because one chapter every week is ages and no one else here is posting a decent fic to read. (I mean that is regularly updated)
Sig and avy by Jam Jar

Sotek Posted: 06:15 May18 2007 Post ID: 1602229
Sotek
+
Actually, it's only a long time for a FerlaFic. Most fics are updated whenever the auther finishes a chapter, or if you're lucky, once per week or two.

So this means we get a new chapter on Wednesday then?

Pandaemonium Posted: 06:28 May18 2007 Post ID: 1602235
Pandaemonium
+
Tom: It only seems like a long time because Dark Requiem was updated every two days before Fic Overdrive. You're used to seeing new chapters churned out at a rate of knots.

Sotek: Or thereabouts. Depends how far I get today.
Repner Posted: 16:49 May18 2007 Post ID: 1602921
Repner
+
On 18-May-2007 Pandaemonium said:Is that a Repner? In the FF&RP Forum? How strange.

New chapters will be posted at a snail's pace, because my parents keep interfering with my productive processes by recruiting me to do heavy lifting and manual labour. I'll probably manage one a week.
Yeah, The only other time i was here was when we were gonna start a FF style roleplay, which never really took off. But i decided to have a look around. And since im a Final Fantasy fan, i noticed yours
dark_wolf_33 Posted: 14:42 May19 2007 Post ID: 1604911
dark_wolf_33
Future Wolfy
Post Likes: 7
+
Well, looks like I'm in the late crowd to read this, but it's pwnsome beyond comprehension. Just one question:

Are there gonna be any of those darn fluffballs, the Moogles?

I see no errors whatsoever, but I wouldn't expect any from the Fic Master known as Pandaemonium.
Pandaemonium Posted: 14:59 May19 2007 Post ID: 1604951
Pandaemonium
+
If you can find a Moogle in Final Fantasy 1, I'll include one in the fic. But there isn't one, so no.

While you're waiting for the new chapter, please divert your attention to my sig.
Cervantes De Leon Posted: 15:39 May19 2007 Post ID: 1605012
Cervantes De Leon
+
On 19-May-2007 dark_wolf_33 said:Well, looks like I'm in the late crowd to read this, but it's pwnsome beyond comprehension. Just one question:

Are there gonna be any of those darn fluffballs, the Moogles?

I see no errors whatsoever, but I wouldn't expect any from the Fic Master known as Pandaemonium.
No need to kiss his feet dark_wolf, he has made typos in the past. Probably more than you would bare to think possible from a 'Fic Master' as you say.

By ozzo

Mission debriefing: Now available
dark_wolf_33 Posted: 15:51 May19 2007 Post ID: 1605040
dark_wolf_33
Future Wolfy
Post Likes: 7
+
All I'm saying is that he pretty much owns me at writing any kind of story. And the English language.

And I know we all had to start somewhere, I have read his past fics.
Displaying Page 1 of 7

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Last     Next
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close