Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

Online Time: Voting Ends 7/22/10, 12PM GMT+1

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 1 of 4

1 | 2 | 3 | Last     Next
Forgoten_Scars Posted: 19:06 Jul16 2010 Post ID: 2870385
Forgoten_Scars
Orbis terrarum est mei
Post Likes: 28
+
I'll try to be simple this time. I'm ripping off an idea from a site my friend visits, but I think it might benefit us to have it. I suggest a timer in the bio of everyone on site, showing how long you've actually spent on the site. Be it main site, forums, teams, whatever. Anytime your account is viewing SuperCheats.com, it adds to your time spent online. It could say something like this.
Time Spent Online: 7 Months, 2 Weeks, 1 Day, 8 Hours, 33 Minutes, 46 Seconds

Seeing as we already have a who's online part of the forums, I can't see this as all that big of a problem to add. Just put a simple timer program in and tell it to add to a number on an account. Why suggest this? A recent thread in GC has come up where people argue about who's truly active. This is a way to prove the active from the inactive, and add to the online or offline part of the bio. So, who hates it?

« Last edited by Forgoten_Scars on Jul 18th 2010 »
v-gamer Posted: 19:34 Jul16 2010 Post ID: 2870393
v-gamer
y so srs?
Post Likes: 4
+
Eh, I don't see much of a use for it.

Obviously if someone is inactive, then they wouldn't have logged in recently, and their bio already tells us when they last logged in.

Not that it's a bad idea, but I don't know.
Avatar: In memory of ieatwyverns <3

Thank you, Vasco <3
Forgoten_Scars Posted: 20:21 Jul16 2010 Post ID: 2870396
Forgoten_Scars
Orbis terrarum est mei
+
It has about as much use as the MVP or awards, even post count. The part about showing who's really active is just a pro to it. I saw it on on a site like this, and just thought it would be a good thing to have. People work to get their post count up, they could work to get time spent on the site up too. Another section for SCT topics to be made?
Dr_Logic Posted: 21:09 Jul16 2010 Post ID: 2870409
Dr_Logic
Post Likes: 0
+
Not that this is a bad idea, but I can see some holes in it. People would probably start opening up a tab and signing in while they do anything online, yet their not really here. They just want to get their "time here" increased. Maybe it would overall increase activity, I simply think it would increase activity for all the wrong reasons, that's all.
"I shall always be convinced that a watch proves a watchmaker, and that a universe proves a God." - Voltaire
superbird5005 Posted: 21:13 Jul16 2010 Post ID: 2870412
superbird5005
Shawn the Supreme
Post Likes: 5
+
It's an ok idea, but I would never see this happening. You can just check your friends list and see when the last time the person signed on.
badass
Hatershateme is forever bae
IT'S SPELLED Shawn

Xeta Posted: 22:16 Jul16 2010 Post ID: 2870441
Xeta
Beneta
Post Likes: 79
+
Eh, I still don't see a real use for it.
ozzo said:xeta actually makes a lot of sense most of the time

if everyone agreed with him more often we wouldnt have this problem
Craizen Posted: 23:04 Jul16 2010 Post ID: 2870448
Craizen
A'ight
Post Likes: 66
+
I wouldn't mind it, but maybe just a day system?

or the last time they actually logged on.
v-gamer Posted: 23:17 Jul16 2010 Post ID: 2870452
v-gamer
y so srs?
+
Craizen said:or the last time they actually logged on.

You mean the time we were last logged on? Otherwise, we already have something that tells us the last time we were on the site. ;) Check your profile. This is what it says for you:

Online : Last logged on 16th Jul 2010

Although it doesn't specify the time, just the date.

Thank you, Vasco <3
Craizen Posted: 23:36 Jul16 2010 Post ID: 2870455
Craizen
A'ight
Post Likes: 66
+
I was referring more to hours than day.I knew that.
superbird5005 Posted: 23:42 Jul16 2010 Post ID: 2870456
superbird5005
Shawn the Supreme
+
superbird5005 said:It's an ok idea, but I would never see this happening. You can just check your friends list and see when the last time the person signed on.

I mean, this makes perfect sense right here ya know D:
badass
IT'S SPELLED Shawn

Forgoten_Scars Posted: 23:46 Jul16 2010 Post ID: 2870457
Forgoten_Scars
Orbis terrarum est mei
+
This isn't about seeing when someone signed in, but how long they've spent on the site. DX

I think the only one here that really gets the idea is Edge, and he's right. People could just leave a tab open to increase the time they've spent on the site. That could be a problem, but that's why we work out the bugs here. :D

Limit on how much time a single page can give you; the counter stops climbing after you've spent so much time on a single page?
v-gamer Posted: 23:59 Jul16 2010 Post ID: 2870459
v-gamer
y so srs?
+
No, we understand what you mean. It just shouldn't be used to determine whether or not someone is active.

Take a Super Mod who checks up on the site every few hours for about ten minutes or so. By the end of the day, he (or Nikki or Filip) gained probably about 30-60 minutes to his (or Nikki's or Filip's) "time count." Take the Moderator who's on pretty much all day, and gains 2-6 hours to his "time count." After a month, who's more active?

« Last edited by v-gamer on Jul 17th 2010 »

Thank you, Vasco <3
superbird5005 Posted: 00:02 Jul17 2010 Post ID: 2870460
superbird5005
Shawn the Supreme
+
This seems like something that would have to put a lot of work and all, and we have other important things to do on the site then show how active people are. We can see that by:

1. Their post count
2. Where they post
3. How they post
4. Topics in SC times with their news

And, the friends list thing also proves my point. I love the idea and all, but I don't see it happening. It would be nice though.
badass
IT'S SPELLED Shawn

Forgoten_Scars Posted: 00:03 Jul17 2010 Post ID: 2870461
Forgoten_Scars
Orbis terrarum est mei
+
;_; Don't make me do math, I haven't slept in a long time. Just as it is on that site, on this site it would probably be just a thing for fun. Your same statement could apply to post counts. If a SuperMod comes on and makes a post every few hours, and a Mod comes on and makes a crapload of posts all day, who's more active at the end of the month? Don't take the post or time online alone as a judge for active or inactive, just see it as a number for fun.

superbird5005 said:This seems like something that would have to put a lot of work and all, and we have other important things to do on the site then show how active people are. We can see that by:

1. Their post count
2. Where they post
3. How they post
4. Topics in SC times with their news

And, the friends list thing also proves my point. I love the idea and all, but I don't see it happening. It would be nice though.

Actually, it's just a number in the bio. I think it would be pretty easy to make a small math table. :3

« Last edited by Forgoten_Scars on Jul 17th 2010 »
v-gamer Posted: 00:06 Jul17 2010 Post ID: 2870462
v-gamer
y so srs?
+
Oh. I see what you're doing. ;) I still don't think it's a bad idea, by the way... Just not something that's worth it, in my opinion. ;O

And yet, I don't make the final decision.

Thank you, Vasco <3
superbird5005 Posted: 00:10 Jul17 2010 Post ID: 2870469
superbird5005
Shawn the Supreme
+
Derek said:Actually, it's just a number in the bio. I think it would be pretty easy to make a small math table. :3

Eh, I'm overthinking it. I had a rough day, cut me some slack. Ok, maybe it's not a lot of work, but everything I said still contributes to what I'm trying to prove. It would be a waste of time setting up a timer of how much free time we have putting forward to SC. I don't think we need to have a timer to show how much we love the site. We can do that by posting and submitting and contributing to the site.

And yet, I don't make the final decision either.

I'm gonna go to bed, you guys can have a friendly arguement over it.

« Last edited by superbird5005 on Jul 17th 2010 »
badass
IT'S SPELLED Shawn

Forgoten_Scars Posted: 00:15 Jul17 2010 Post ID: 2870479
Forgoten_Scars
Orbis terrarum est mei
+
._. I would prefer not to argue over your opinions, seeing as I love you both and all. <3

Anyway, I would really just like to hear from a programmer how much work would actually have to go into something like this. If it's a lot, then it's a stupid idea that's not worth it. If it's not too much work, then I say "Why not just to have a little more fun here?". I've made a simple form of it before, and it didn't take me but a few hours. Could be different, with the site coding and all, but probably not all that much more difficult.
qwertyuio Posted: 04:49 Jul17 2010 Post ID: 2870538
qwertyuio
Bite the Bullet
Post Likes: 10
+
I'm with Vee and Shawn. Not worth implementing, too many holes, doesn't really even matter in the end. Nice idea in concept though Derek, really.
Voted Best Nazi Mod Ever <3
CRAZY CHEATS Posted: 06:10 Jul17 2010 Post ID: 2870557
CRAZY CHEATS
Das Milkinator
Post Likes: 1
+
I like the idea.
I see where most people fail to see the point in this, but it would actually show us who's really doing something.
Take Catyclsm as an example.
Up until very recently, he would vary rarely post.
And I took that to mean that he was inactive.
Rather than someone continually check his bio to see when he was online, this could prove he is active.

We could also throw in a post average with it.
Now known as
Jirachi X Posted: 06:13 Jul17 2010 Post ID: 2870558
Jirachi X
Post Likes: 2
+
qwertyuio said:I'm not with Vee and Shawn. Absolutely worth implementing, absolutely no holes, really matters at the end of the day. Nice idea in concept though Derek, really.

Fixxed =D

I'm loving this idea.
I'm gone - bye
Displaying Page 1 of 4

1 | 2 | 3 | Last     Next
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
This topic has been closed by 292692

Post Top
Click to close