Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.
Follow the dark path or use the light
Mobile
go

Roland Garros 2019 - Ash Barty & Rafa Nadal win

Search for a game or topic
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 1 of 1

Matt77 Posted: 10:48 Jun06 2019 Post ID: 3448079
Matt77
The Chosen One
Post Likes: 269
+
The other two remaining active members on this forum either follow or have followed tennis, so this thread will at least get some activity.

It's semi finals time at the French Open. The men's comp features the top 4 seeds;
Federer (3) v Nadal (2)
Djokovic (1) v Thiem (4)

But the women's side is extremely open, and features:
Barty (8) v Anisimova
Konta (26) v Vondrousova

You'd back Nadal to win his 12th title here, but it will be interesting how he goes if he plays Djokovic (has won the last 3 grand slams). At the Aus Open Nadal got destroyed by Djokovic in straight sets. And everyone seems to be writing off Federer, but he has only lost 1 set (as has Nadal). And Dominic Thiem has made the semis for the past 4 consecutive years.

The women's draw may be a battle of our respective countries. Barty is Australian, Anisimova American, and Konta British. Amazingly, Anisimova is 17 years old, Vondrousova 19, Barty was playing cricket 3 years ago, and Konta had never won a match at the French Open before this year.

« Last edited by Matt77 on Jun 9th 2019 »

ViolinViolinViolin
~ Sometimes people change, but sometimes you just open your eyes & realise who they truly are ~

Warrior13 said:I realized that Matt is the Chosen One of SC.

Credits to KingofCorn for the awesome avatar!
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
Sanzano Posted: 02:06 Jun09 2019 Post ID: 3448095
Sanzano
Post Likes: 63
+
I find it difficult to back against Nadal on clay, I live in Spain and have never seen a grass court here, they are all clay which means Nadal knows the surface better than anyone. As far as the women goes I have no idea, I can't even name five of the top 10 womens players at the moment because their rankings are always changing.

How is Sharapova getting on these days? Is she still as dominant as she was before the ban or are the younger generation of women's players catching her and Serena Williams up?
Matt77 Posted: 03:36 Jun09 2019 Post ID: 3448096
Matt77
The Chosen One
Post Likes: 269
+
Sharapova was injured, and didn't play in the French Open, meaning her ranking dropped significantly (she made the QFs last year). She is no where near the player she used to be, and even with the top players being inconsistent, I can't see her, Serena, or Azarenka winning another Slam.

Speaking of Serena, she got thrashed in the 3rd round by an unseeded player 2-6 5-7. And before her press conference, she was getting impatient and wanted to do it "now", so the tournament organisers kicked Thiem out of his own press conference... It's all pretty funny really.

Nadal is unstoppable, and beat Federer 6-3 6-4 6-2 despite Roger playing well. And he has had an uninterrupted schedule, whereas the other side of the draw had to play 4 days in a row. Thiem did very well and beat Djokovic 6-2 3-6 7-5 5-7 7-5 after blowing 2 match points at 5-3 up, despite Novak's antics and constant whinging.

I have Nadal winning in straight sets, something like 6-4 6-2 6-3. Thiem will play well, but Nadal has only lost 2 sets at his last 2 French Opens. You ask though, who are the up-and-coming players. Thiem is definitely one you should pay attention to. He's been labelled the Prince of Clay, and his last French Opens have lead to the semis, semis, final, and final.

Barty and Vondrousova made the final in seesawing matches. But gee, Konta choked twice. In both sets she lead 5-3 and had set points, but lost in straight sets. Barty did well to recover in her semi. She lead 5-0 and had 2 set points, but lost that set and was 0-3 down in the second, but came back to win.

Ash Barty went on to win the final 6-1 6-3 in a pretty dominant display, making her the first Australian win at the French Open since Margaret Court. She's one of the more popular and likeable players in the WTA, is now ranked #2 in the world now Cool Her story is worth a read.

EDIT - And Nadal beat Thiem 6-3 5-7 6-1 6-1 in 4 sets, which was surprising (I thought it would be 3).

« Last edited by Matt77 on Jun 9th 2019 »

ViolinViolinViolin
~ Sometimes people change, but sometimes you just open your eyes & realise who they truly are ~

Warrior13 said:I realized that Matt is the Chosen One of SC.

Credits to KingofCorn for the awesome avatar!
Displaying Page 1 of 1

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
Smilies, click to use

You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close