Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

Gears of Destiny

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 8 of 8

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | 6 | 7 | Last     Previous
Sotek Posted: 15:21 Apr24 2008 Post ID: 2213868
Sotek
Post Likes: 0
+
Amurios is cool.

Awsome chapter there, nice to see that not everyone blindly follows Spartzan. Now, if only Valk could learn to control those winds fully, he'd be able to use the lightning to shock his way through Amurios' defence. And I still think that if he absorbs the power of all three Lords in such a short space of time he'll overload and be out of action for a while.

Keep up the good fic, looking forward to more!

Seeing as I now have three short stories posted, I figure I may as well put all of them in my bio, so go there for links to "The Lab", "Daemon" and "Afterlife". Additionally, you should read my fic, The Crystals of Narlkant
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
King of Hell Posted: 10:05 May19 2008 Post ID: 2245113
King of Hell
Post Likes: 2
+
Excellent chapters. Golden Knight was amusing, the battle in the sky was epic, and this next battle is going to be even better, since it has Amurious in it. You've got massive amounts of typos in there, my friend. "his both swords", "but by bit", "thee sword", etc. Either way, it's awesome, and I look forward to more.

Cataclysm Posted: 12:32 May20 2008 Post ID: 2246954
Cataclysm
+
Chapter 37: Slight Betrayal

Valk hopelessly hacked away at the opponent who stood before him, yet not one attack appeared to be breaking through. No matter where he struck, Amurios seemed to be prepared and was parrying with little effort, if any at all.
?And here I was hoping for a challenge.? Amurios mocked as once again Valk?s sword collided with his own. They had been battling for over five minutes, and Amurios had barely had to move from the spot. Valk on the other hand, had been darting around the Ocean Lord with the hopes of outmanoeuvring him, but had failed at each attempt. Already he could fell his wrists beginning to ache from constant vibrations from the clash of their weapons, yet he was determined not only to prove himself, but to gain the abilities of the second of three Lords.
Finally, Amurios decided to attack. As he knocked back a slash a wave of spiked ice swept over his free arm and was driven into Valk?s face. Valk would have fallen backwards, yet his wings arched down during his descent and launched him back towards Amurios in a matter of seconds. Due to the push of his four wings he was sent upwards instead of forwards, and was soon above Amurios as he soared in an arc like trajectory. He had no intention of staying airborne and allowed himself to land behind Amurios on both his hands and feet with a heavy crunch caused by his weight. With his back now turned to the Lord an attack was predictable, and so without looking he swept his sword vertically behind him, and as he had expected found himself blindly deflecting a stab that had been headed for his spine. The window between attacks allowed him to stand up completely and spin around, yet Amurios? retaliation was quick, and yet again the spiked fist of ice was delivered into him, this time to his stomach. His plated armour managed to take the main force of the blow, yet the knockback effect was still there, causing him to stumble yet not lose his balance completely.
?Too slow.? Amurios commented as he advanced towards Valk yet again. His ice katana was held out at his side, level with his waist, and was reflecting sunlight into Valk?s field of vision. Whether it was intentional or not didn?t matter.
?You want speed?? Valk spat back. He then ran directly at Amurios, stopped for a moment before reaching a dangerous radius around his target and jumped. Whilst in the air he used his wings to send him slightly higher, and at full height he held his sword above his head. He was about to throw it down in spear like manner, yet felt a strange energy causing through him, similar to before. Feelings like that hadn?t failed him before, so he stopped in mid-leap and continued to hover. Below, Amurios observed with interest, twirling his weapon and pushing a stray amount of hair back behind his ear.
Some sort of energy was being summoned within Valk, he could tell, but nothing appeared to be changing. Then it happened again. Without warning an elemental jolt of white electricity lurched down from the sky, without a single cloud in sight, and struck the Reaper in Valk?s grasp. Not expecting such an event, Valk was unprepared as the sword was swept from his hand and brought crashing down to earth.
In a flash of electrical light, it pierced Amurios? gut without resistance, even with the ice encased arm that had attempted to block the sudden attack. Amurios stood in shock as he saw the ice crumble from his impaled wrist. The blade had cut it?s way through, and had continued to his stomach until the hilt met the weapon?s introduction point and was stopped.
?Well I say,? he gasped. With a swing of his injured hand the Reaper game free from his torso, but was still caught through his wrist. ?I guess you do possess speed. Who would have known?? with a distressed expression, he grabbed the hilt with his arm and pulled it free, making sure he didn?t remove his arm completely upon removing the Reaper. Meanwhile, Valk hovered to the ground and stood opposite Amurios with his hand outstretched.
?Come back,? he ordered under his breath. Upon command the sword left Amurios? grasp and came hurtling back to its owner, but not before Amurios himself could react. Before it could reach Valk the Lord of the Oceans let loose a blast of ice from his palm, which encased the sword in deep blue. A catch was impossible, and as Valk attempted to wrap his fingers around the hilt he was almost hit by a block of ice no smaller than a child. At the last moment he stepped aside and the sword continued until it collapsed to the ground. The ice however, didn?t shatter. Without another look at Amurios, he prepared a sphere of black flame in his palm and took aim at his frozen weapon, but was stopped. The darkened fire left his possession, but not before Amurios could run up behind Valk and swing his ice blade down through his shoulder until reaching his mid-torso area. In incomparable pain, Valk?s back arched backwards as he felt his wings being sliced as well as a number of vital organs, and his loose flame blast continued to follow his hand movements, spinning out of control and finally colliding with a somewhat large block of ice. The block of ice being that which concealed the colossal Garzavath.
?I haven?t fought like this since becoming a Lord. Things finally appear to be growing in interest.? Amurios said into Valk?s ear as he pulled it down further, splicing through Valk?s interior further and causing him to roar in pain in way which simply was not normal. Neither of them seemed to notice that before them Garzavath?s frozen imprisonment was melting away bit by bit.
?Then I hope you find this interesting,? Valk said whilst grinding his teeth. As he spoke, he turned his neck to face Amurios and spat blood into his face. As Amurios flinched, Valk grabbed the tip of the blade protruding from his torso and pulled with as much strength as he could muster. The hilt came loose from Amurios? grasp and began to rip though Valk?s insides until gashing out of his stomach. In agonising pain, Valk lat it go and allowed it to fly from his possession through the air, and into Garzavath?s solid leg. Upon contact it shattered, which was enough to finally catch both Valk and Amurios? attention.
?Seems the big man is free.? Valk smirked as he attempted to cover his wound. No matter how much he tried to cover it, blood kept on pouring out, yet Amurios didn?t seem to be making an attempt to finish him off. Instead, he was gaping openly at Garzavath as he advanced not in Valk?s direction, but in his.
?Stand down!? he ordered violently as the monstrosity that was once Garzavath drew near. The Earth Lord appeared to be paying little attention, if he could hear the midget of a Lord that was, and without any hesitation his sword of stone came swinging over his head and down towards Amurios. With little time to react, the immense weapon came crashing down upon the silver haired man with a crash that could rival an earthquake on epic proportions. The sheer impact knocked Valk upwards and then onto his back, along with his sword that was freed from it?s containment as it was broken free upon contact with the black disc once again. Along with crushing Amurios, it had also broken through the coliseum like wall that had been creating around the disc, giving Valk an opening through which he could escape.
It seemed Amurios was dead, and there was no chance of him defeating what Garzavath had become alone. He would have to make a decision, quickly, due to the fact that the Earth Lord had diverted his attention from his previous target to Valk. What neither of them had noticed however, was that where Amurios had been crushed there was now little more than a puddle of pure blue water, which also appeared to be making its way across the black surface towards Valk.
?You?re going to have to wait until some other time,? Valk said as he slowly began to hobble way towards the newly created exit. Little by little he was growing faster as his wound healed, but each step that Garzavath took meant that he would be able to reach Valk in a matter of seconds. Flight was also out of the question, but they were also regenerating as if growing anew once again with shocking speed. ?Come on!? he groaned to himself as he desperately attempted to heave himself along. Behind him, Garzavath was growing ever closer, and escape was beginning to seem ever more futile by the second. Such was Valk?s desperation to get away safely, that he didn?t notice the slight trickle of water that had stuck to his foot and was gradually growing up his leg like some sort of liquid fungi. It soon caught his attention as it reached his waist and formed a puddle around him on the ground. As if pulled by some sort of invisible force, he felt his soaking blue leg begin to sink into the water as if it was some type or portal. It didn?t take long until he was down to his waist, slowly being sucked into the ground. Whether it was good or not he didn?t care, he was escaping from Garzavath, but without his sword. As it reached his shoulders in depth he outstretched his hand and began to summon the Reaper. Its speed was high as it picked itself up from the ground and began to spin its way over to its possessor. Valk continued to sink, until only his arm reaching out of the liquid could be seen. Around it, the rest of the liquid was also beginning to sink down within itself along with Valk, until only his hand could be seen. When it seemed he was to be lost, the sword?s hilt was slammed into his grasp and began to descend within him. The portal stayed upon until the sword had sunk completely along with him, and disappeared into nothing just as the stone sword wielded by Garzavath slammed into the ground where Valk had been attempting to escape.

Valk was entrapped in blackness, unable to breath as if suspended in nothingness. His sword was still in his possession, and he was fully aware of the dying pain in his shoulder, which meant he was still alive, but why did he feel like he was trapped within a void?
?Where do you need to go?? came Amurios? voice out of nowhere. Valk looked around an attempted to open his mouth to speak, but only felt a sudden pain in his chest, as if he was drowning. ?You had better make haste and answer; you can?t survive in here forever.?
Valk stayed silent and began to flail around, as if hoping to break free from wherever he was, but to no avail. Amurios didn?t seem to be lying though, he really did feel like he was drowning, and plus, he had never learnt how to swim. The again, he had been asked where he wanted to go. Perhaps there was some way?
?The capital,? Valk thought aloud. Surprisingly enough he heard his though echo throughout the emptiness. ?Take me to Hayven. I need to meet Bob there.?
?Very well.? Amurios responded. As soon as the words could be heard, there was a bright flash of daylight, and Valk found himself looking directly at a tiled white floor, hovering slightly in the air. Then gravity took its effects, and he slammed nose first into the ground.
Suddenly, realising that he was already free, he gasped for air and welcomed the scent of a bustling city, despite having only been trapped for a matter of seconds. After catching his breath, he got up onto his hand and knees and looked from side to side, only to see a number of men and women staring at him in a circle. Apart from that, a puddle of blue was at his side, bubbling slightly, and growing upwards, taking solid form. At first there was a pair of legs, then a body, and then a head. Amurios was still alive judging by the fact that he was now standing next to Valk and flexing his muscles.
?Get up,? he said with a sneer to Valk. Valk nodded and stood up, allowing the water still covering him to drip way as he looked around at the speechless faces surrounding him. ?You just fell out of a bubble of water in the air, Valk,? Amurios continued, already walking away. Valk followed, wishing to hear about what had just happened, having already forgotten about the fact that the Lord of the Oceans had just recently almost sliced him in half. ?From Garzavath?s actions, it appears he has declared me a traitor to Spartzan for freezing him. Of course, Spartzan always placed more trust in him than in me, so Garzavath will exaggerate things a little. What I said before however, is true. I did wish to face you alone, yet that was not my only motive. Garzavath has undergone such a transformation before, and many civilians were killed on that day, simply out of frustration. Spartzan must have been blind that day though, because he brushed the matter aside as if it was nothing. The town no longer exists.?
?I don?t need to know that,? Valk called after him as they both pushed their way through the crowds. ?I want to know why you just did that. Why didn?t you leave me there to be crushed??
?I thought I made that clear,? Amurios began as he stopped to turn and face Valk. ?I am against everything that has been done in Spartzan?s name since the Grand election, which was simply a large cover up in case you didn?t know. It was just an excuse to bring the strongest warriors from across the world together and destroy them in the name of competition. We three had already been chosen months??
?You still haven?t answered my question. Get speaking!? Valk ordered, biting his bottom lip as the staring finally began to start annoying him. They were standing in a pure white square, with a fountain of pure silver set in the centre. All around them were large buildings of gothic architecture, crafted from the same white stone that Valk had seen on Frakxuja?s air fortress.
?Of course. As I previously explained, which was not a lie, I wanted you to use my power against Spartzan. But, as I have been able to observe, you are not nearly powerful enough to confront even myself, and despite having taken Frakxuja?s power, you are unable to wield it at will. If you were to absorb mine also, I can only see the same happening. Which is why I took the decision to help you escape. Valk, due to Garzavath attacking my person, I can only assume that Spartzan has already planned my demise. I have nowhere else to go, so I propose to you yet another deal.?
?I?m listening.? Valk responded. ?But not here, do you know anywhere we could go to discuss this??
?This is my hometown. I know of a wonderful place. Kindly follow me and you shall dine in perhaps the finest eatery this world has to offer.?

Valk sat down in the nearest seat to the exit he could find and looked around oddly at everyone else. He felt strangely out of place in such a place. Sitting around him were more people staring, but this time of higher society. In his broken armour and blood stained leg wraps he couldn?t help but feel in some way inferior to those around him. Amurios however appeared to have settled in nicely and was already in the back room speaking with the chef.
With nothing to do, Valk began to look around and see what it was he had missed during his life in the Order. Sculptures were laid out across the entire area, which was immense simply for a restaurant. The floor glistened without a speck of dirt and elemental chandeliers were floating a small distance above them. This was nothing compared to the customers though, who appeared to be shovelling out gold coins by the ton, and were dressed in such extravagantly coloured clothes that Valk felt that he would have to cover his eyes at any moment.
?Done, the food will be here any second.? Amurios said quietly as he reached the table at which they were sitting and pulled out a seat. He sat down opposite Valk and leaned back in his chair casually, drawing a few looks of disgust from around him. Apparently composure was far more important than looks in this higher end society.
?Straight to the point, what?s this deal you told me about?? Valk asked, leaning across the table and trying to keep his voice quiet.
?Oh, it?s really quite simple. I have nothing else to live for, so I would like to form an alliance with you against Spartzan. I am fully aware that you only wish to harness the Gears, but I feel that whereas are ends are different, our means complement one another. What do you say to this one??
Valk didn?t answer; he was too busy looking over Amurios? shoulder at a figure sat at another table.
?Here, of all places?? he managed to mutter, causing Amurios to swivel around in his chair.
?Already eyeing up the females, eh?? Amurios chuckled as the head chef made his way over to the table himself and laid out some rare done meat before the pair of them.
?No,? Valk replied without looking away. With one finger he pointed ahead at a nearby table where a man in armour with a shaved head was sitting. ?It?s Cyanite.?
Sig and avy by Jam Jar

Sotek Posted: 13:13 May20 2008 Post ID: 2247011
Sotek
+
Gasp! Shock! Plot Twist! Cyanite's back!

Okay, onto the review. Nice chapter, perticularly the revelation of the powers which Valk can't control properly yet. I'm also liking Amurios's attitude and personality more and more. His motivations are puzzling though; surely he would want an alliance, and not to be killed by Valk? Ah well, I'm sure you've explained it before and I've forgotten or something. Keep it up as usual, and I look forward to another confrontation between Cyanite and Valk!

Seeing as I now have three short stories posted, I figure I may as well put all of them in my bio, so go there for links to "The Lab", "Daemon" and "Afterlife". Additionally, you should read my fic, The Crystals of Narlkant
Cataclysm Posted: 12:03 Jun10 2008 Post ID: 2273832
Cataclysm
+
Chaoter 38: The Fifth Order

Valk movements were steady as he made his way across the crowded eatery. His ragged wraps and battered armour succeeded in drawing looks from more than a number of those pertaining to the higher society, but Cyanite appeared to be far too focused on his meal to notice the stares that were passing him by. Amurios shifted around in his seat so that he was leaning with his arms crossed on the back, observing Valk as he drew closer to whoever the man with the shaved head was. Whatever his name was, he appeared to be a warrior with his scratched gold armour. A twisted sword and golden, round shield lay at his side, yet were also dangerously close to his hands.
?Hello there,? Valk said calmly as he placed his hand on Cyanite?s shoulder. Cyanite lifted his head from his plate of food and sighed with his eyes shut. He didn?t answer, but instead grabbed his shield by the side and brought it swinging towards Valk?s gut. Valk was caught off guard, and received the full power of the blow as he was knocked backwards and onto the table of an extremely shocked elderly couple. As Valk leaped back onto his feet, he noticed Cyanite already standing up, facing him in a battle position with both his sword and shield at the ready.
?What are you doing here Valk?? he asked, looking into Valk?s eyes as he spoke. ?Come to take your revenge on me for leaving you behind??
?Actually, I was just passing through,? Valk replied. ?I saw you sitting there and thought I would come over and say hello. Why would I want to take revenge on you? You?re the first friendly face I?ve seen in a while now.?
Cyanite stayed silent for a moment, yet he didn?t budge his arms an inch.
?I left you behind back when you fought Neecrow. As soon as I saw them leaving the fortress headed for us I ran, and left you to be caught. I can understand why you would want me dead, so since that day I?ve been training. I?m a lost stronger than last time we fought together.?
The restaurant was silent save for Valk and Cyanite. Even the chefs had left the kitchen and were standing in the main room to observe what was happening. Some customers had begun to complain and were leaving without paying, but with all attention focused on the troublemakers nobody noticed the dine and dashers.
?So am I,? Valk responded with a sneer. Without warning he sent a sphere of black flame soaring towards Cyanite, who reacted quickly and raised his shield in front of him. The elemental projectile connected, and instead of being blocked knocked the shield from Cyanite?s grasp and upwards into the air until it wedged into the ceiling on the other side of the room. With a heavy clatter and the crash of a table it fell back to the ground, almost hitting a sleeping man who had been pushed out of the way by a quick moving waiter. ?So before you say anything else, hear me out. I don?t want to kill you. I would have done the exact same in your situation, so I bear no grudge. I simply came here because Amurios invited me.?
?Amurios?? Cyanite then blurted out in shock. ?So you?re in alliance with Spartzan!? Upon saying this Cyanite lunged forwards with his sword being swung over his head in an arc. As it came down towards Valk?s skull he threw out his left hand, with a chained jewel visible in the palm. A second later a rippling wave of transparent energy burst from it and slammed into Cyanite, knocking him through the air and into an empty table.
?I was, to keep myself alive, but not anymore,? Valk began. ?You may find this hard to believe, but I met Spartzan?s father, and he has told me how I can wield the power of the Gears. I can only gain that power by defeating Spartzan and obliterating all that stand in my way. Bob, Spartzan?s father, wants to help me put a stop to his son?s reign. Amurios defected shortly after.?
?Why would a Lord do something a stupid as that?? Cyanite questioned as he lifted himself up from the wreckage of what had once been a table and picked up his sword once again. ?Doing that would mean certain death.?
?I no longer fear death,? Amurios called over as he stood up and kicked his chair away. Upon doing so he realised that he had kicked ever so slightly too hard and sighed as it ploughed through the meals of yet another unfortunate series of customers. ?I thought I would join in on this wanton destruction,? he continued as he reached the pair of former friends. ?Anyway, as I was saying before, death is no longer a matter for me. I have come to understand that it may simply be another step in our lives as I observed how the souls of those defeated reside within Valk, and Bob?s weapons. It truly is astounding if I may be completely honest with you, but this does not cause me to desire my own death. This however, is far from the point. What I mean to say is that yes, I have defected.? He said, turning his attention to Cyanite as he finished. ?As I am sure you have heard, Spartzan has begun to attack cities with his amassed forces. This is more or a harvest than a pure attacks, for he needs their bodies to house the souls of Varlerians and create a not only powerful, but obedient race.? upon hearing this, a number of shouts of disapproval came from the crowds of men and women around them. It seemed they weren?t aware of Spartzan?s recent exterminations as of yet and were still in the Overlord?s favour. Cyanite beckoned for both Valk and Amurios to draw closer until they were within whispering distance. Reluctantly, they did, yet the three remained ready to fight. Cyanite and Valk had tight hold on their weapons, whilst Amurios was ready to create an ice blade at any moment.
?I can?t be sure whether to trust either of you yet, but it?s obvious that you know things we don?t. Come with me to a more secluded area and we can chat.?
?We?? Valk said, sounding puzzled.
?Shortly after leaving you behind I came to this city and met a man who claimed he could help me continue to fight Spartzan. In short, I agreed, and together we formed the Fifth Order, which we have continued underground. We?ve managed to find new recruits and gather the few survivors of the previous Order.?
?Interesting,? Amurios pondered as he began to scratch his chin in thought. ?Well, I suppose it couldn?t hurt to perhaps at least attempt and gain some allies. What is your opinion on this Valk??
?I trust Cyanite, even is he doesn?t trust me or you,? Valk added on. ?I say go with him at least share what little information we can. Lead the way Cya.?
Cyanite nodded and stood back so that the three were now standing a safe distance away from one another. He pointed to the door and Valk nodded. As the pair of them made their way over, the kitchen door?s burst open revealing a slightly fat man in white robes lined with gold. It seemed he had just left his bath and had torn down from his room.
?What have you done to my restaurant?? he roared as he took in the chaos that had been caused in his eatery. Valk and Cyanite took no notice, yet Amurios took out a single golden coin from an inside pocket of his clothing and flicked it over to the restaurant owner with his thumb before leaving.

Both Valk and Amurios walked into a musty back alley with Cyanite following close behind with his sword drawn. The alley was nothing like the rest of the pure white city. It was lined on both sides with brown stone that served as the walls of inns on both sides. Its length was surprising as neither of the three could see the end.
?Okay now, start speaking. What do you know that can help us?? Cyanite began, holding his sword threateningly. Neither of the others appeared bothered. Amurios spoke first.
?I believe I said earlier that Spartzan was beginning to harvest human beings, did I not?? he began. Cyanite nodded. ?Very well then, I shall continue. You already know why he?s doing this, and that is to create a race that shall follow him blindly and at the same time be powerful enough to take on any opponent. What we don?t know however, is what he needs such an army for if the world is already his.?
?Who knows,? Cyanite shrugged, then turning to Valk. ?You, you said something about the Gears, or something like that. What did you mean??
?The Gears could be described as a device that gives the wielder power over time,? Valk answered. It seemed clear he had recited the powers he would gain from the Gears over and over again in his head. ?The power to transcend it and change his future, along with his past. The ability to do over anything that may go wrong and knowledge of what is to happen.?
Cyanite chuckled at the aspect of such a power, but straightened out his smile as both Valk and Amurios glared at him seriously.
?So, I take it Spartzan also wants the Gears. That could explain the creation of such an army I suppose. If something happened in his past that he would need a powerful force to change, then an army of Human, Varlerian hybrids would be perfect. But that brings up another question: Spartzan won the Varlerian war all those years ago, so what would he need to change?? came Cyanite?s reasoning.
?That sounds logical enough, but I have another theory,? Amurios said as he leaned back against one of the alley walls. Cyanite had lowered his guard and Valk was too intent on discovering what Spartzan?s plans could be to stay alert for any attack that may come his way. ?Spartzan has had power for so long, and has only recently found out about the Gears? something that if wielded by anyone else could mean his overthrowing. What if he only wishes to gain the Gears for himself out of fear??
?Makes sense,? Valk shrugged as he dug his sword into the ground and stepped forwards into the centre of the group. ?But how does that explain the army. If he harvests every human, then what will be left to attack or defend against??
?Nothing, that is my point,? Amurios stated with a sigh. ?Spartzan only ever kept his motives to himself. We simply followed orders because they were given without question. To know these things we would need to interrogate him personally, and I don?t think that that is a possibility.?
As he finished, a long shadow was cast down the alley from the bright entrance. Because of the intense sunlight Valk couldn?t make out who it was. Neither could Amurios, but Cyanite already had a smile on his face.
?Valk, Amurios, I would like to present you to the cofounder of the Fifth Order, Bill.?
Valk raised his hand to his eyes to shield from the light. The figure was drawing closer, yet he appeared just be a shadow in human form, cloaked completely in black. That was then he reached the shadow of the alley and was easily visible.
?Bob?? Valk said in shock as Spartzan?s father drew nearer.
?That?s one of the names I go by, yes,? Bob said with a smirk. ?I told you we would meet in the capital. Welcome.?
Cyanite was in a similar state of shock to Valk, yet remained silent as Amurios fell onto one knee before Bob. He placed one fist on the ground whilst the other rested on his crouched knee, and he lowered his head.
?Sir, I bow to you. You are the greatest warrior to exist throughout the history, and I believe in your cause. I shall aid you in defeating Spartzan.?
?Get up,? Bob chuckled. ?I don?t need such formalities. I hold no title.?
?Valk called you Bob,? Cyanite blurted out. ?And he said that he met Bob, Spartzan?s father. Would that make you???
?Yes, Cya, I am Cyanite?s father. I also told you my name was Bill. Valk knows me as Bob though, so I would appreciate it if you called me that from now on. Understood??
Cyanite nodded in acceptance, before looking over to Valk.
?You know him?? he asked, pointing at Bob. At the same time, Amurios stood back up and brushed off his knee area.
?I do,? Valk responded. ?He?s helped me get as far as I have. He was also the one responsible for the destruction of the Fourth Order and the fact that Frakxuja attacked the fortress.?
?I know,? said Cyanite. ?He explained that to me. He also told me that you killed Frakxuja, which I still find hard to believe.?
Bob pushed Valk aside and looked the three of them in the eyes from beneath his overshadowing hood.
?There?ll be plenty time to discuss later, when we arrive at the Fifth Order HQ. Please step aside Amurios,? Amurios did so obediently without a remark in return, and allowed Bob to walk towards the wall behind him. Bob placed his ear to the wall and began to walk along slowly, as is listening to the stone. Valk and Amurios looked at him curiously, until he stopped and pushed one stone in. As he did so, those around it began to sink into the wall and work they way around one another until stairs leading downwards began to form. ?The inn is a cover,? Bob explained as he began to descend. ?We needed to create a base of operations somewhere, so I used the best of my knowledge to create this place. It?s not much, but when you have a hundred men working to create a decent living area to hide from Spartzan, then you?ll find yourself surprised at how efficient humans can be. Come on down.?
Valk nodded, as did Amurios as Cyanite passed them by and continued to slither down the constantly forming stairway. Torches were lighting up on either side revealing what appeared to be a simple, tunnelled out cave as the path grew.
?Well isn?t this an interesting chain of events?? Amurios muttered to Valk, taking the first step forwards. ?This may become quite the resistance with such warriors on its side. What do you think??
?I think Bob?s hiding more things than he?s telling us.? Valk said back without taking his eyes off of those descending into the dimly lit cavern, which was barely large enough to walk through comfortably, let alone fit his wings in. ?You first.?
Sig and avy by Jam Jar

Sotek Posted: 12:38 Jun10 2008 Post ID: 2273866
Sotek
+
That guy has no imagination. Bob? Bill? I bet his next name is John or something else generic.

Nice chapter, with the resturant being destroyed as its hilight. I perticularly liked Amurios' meger payment for the damage.

Apart from Bob's lack of ability to come up with a good alias, the only mistake I spotted was this: "Its length was surprising as neither of the three could see the end." - Neither should be None, because there are three of them.

Nice to see a new chapter of this, hopefully there'll be another one soon! Keep working on it!

King of Hell Posted: 19:17 Jun10 2008 Post ID: 2274513
King of Hell
+
I noticed a few... Biggest one:

?Yes, Cya, I am Cyanite?s father. I also told you my name was Bill. Valk knows me as Bob though, so I would appreciate it if you called me that from now on. Understood??

Thats like saying "I'm your father" in a messed up third person. Should be Spartzan's".

Good overall, Amurios is awesome... Other than that, not much to comment on. Awaiting next.

Sotek Posted: 10:01 Jun11 2008 Post ID: 2275268
Sotek
+
I can't believe I missed that one... Must've read it as Spartzan. They both have an a in them, after all.

Cataclysm Posted: 17:57 Aug07 2008 Post ID: 2368476
Cataclysm
+
An easy mistake to make.

Chapter 39: The Calm

Elemental lights illuminated the round, caved out room dimly. It seemed the new Order's HQ hadn't been completed as of yet, and had been dug out beneath Hayven in a hurry. In essence, it was a mine, with the only thing stopping the ceiling from collapsing being wooden beams and pillars lining the walls and dotting the ground at random intervals. Valk, Cyanite, Amurios and Bob were now sitting around a poorly crafted table on similarly made chairs.
?So let me get this straight,? Cyanite began after having heard everything the others had to say. ?You Valk, still just want the Gears. Amurios, you're not happy with what Spartzan's doing and Bob, you're just doing all of this for some reason nobody has found out yet.?
?That sounds about right,? Bob nodded as he leaned back comfortably in his seat. Amurios had a feeling of discomfort spread across his face as he shifted and turned, clearly accustomed to a life of luxury.
?Yes,? Valk nodded with a firm glare at the other three. ?You're also forgetting the part where my son disowned me and swore to claim my life, but you more or less have it.?
?Sorry,? Cyanite shrugged. ?But anyway, the business at hand people. This is the Fifth Order, and our objective is still the overthrowing of Spartzan... we haven't got very far as of yet, so who has any ideas??
Amurios finally stood up and pushed his chair away before beginning to pace backwards and forwards across the room.
?We need more recruits,? he said after a moment of thought. ?How many soldiers do we have under our control right now??
?About four hundred,? Bob responded casually, also standing up. ?Nobody knows how many Spartzan is capable of sending, but I can assure you it's a lot more than that. Plus, seeing as he's harvesting pretty much every human body available, it's only a matter of time until he attacks Hayven.?
?Do we know how long that could be?? Cyanite asked curiously. He was laying out his options mentally.
?Spartzan's forces will arrive in two days,? Bob announced, leaving Cyanite slightly shocked. Valk continued to listen attentively along with Amurios. ?They will attack from all sides, North, East, South and West, so escape in this situation is no option.?
?What are you saying, we stay and defend the citizens... against what Spartzan can throw at us?? Amurios asked with an expression of discontent before all of a sudden, he looked straight as Bob. ?Wait, how do you know about this??
?That has nothing to do with you,? Bob retorted with a sudden sting in his voice. Amurios flinched for an instant, but allowed Bob to continue. ?And yes, I am suggesting that we stay, and that we defend. Any problems with that??
?You already know what's going to happen, don't you?? Valk sighed with a shake of his head. ?Tell us!?
?I can't,? Bob shrugged. ?But there are things that I can, and will tell you all.?
?Then do it!? Cyanite said, almost ordering him.
?Very well,? Bob nodded, sitting down once again. ?Each one of the four forces will be larger than anything we can pull together. Luckily, they won't be using strategy apart from a full frontal attack, so we can use that in our favour.?
?Do we have archers?? Valk asked, receiving a nod from Cyanite's direction.
?The archers will be positioned on the roofs, but they wont reveal themselves immediately,? Bob began to explain. ?We shall leave a decent sized group of troops in the city centre. This should lure the majority of Spartzan's army in. Once they're in, the bait will have a hard time, but that's when our archers appear and rain hell own upon them. The rest of our forces will then flood out from the surrounding buildings and overrun as many of the enemy as possible.?
?We wont stand a chance,? Amurios chuckled. ?You could come up with a strategy ten times better than that. Really, you could. But even if you did, you would perish along with everyone else involved.?
?I told you, I already know what is to happen. Things have to happen this way Amurios.?
?So you're sending us to an early grave, Bob?? Amurios sneered. ?I'll go along with it. I'm ready die, but I'm not sure about the other three hundred and ninety-nine soldiers about to fight in two days.?
?They'll fight,? Bob responded firmly. ?Anyway, each of the four attacking forces will be under the control of a general. The East force will be lead by Lord Garzavath. The South by Seth, one of Spartzan's most well trusted soldiers. Valk, you met him in Olim Merkabah.?
?I remember him. He didn't seem capable of anything that a competent solider could manage,? Valk said as he leaned back and stared at the ceiling. ?Spartzan is running out of options with Frakxuja dead and Amurios on your side.?
?Our side,? Cyanite corrected.
?Your side.? Valk stated once again. ?I've already made it clear that I'm only helping because taking out Spartzan benefits me. Once he's out of the way you're on your own.?
?We all know what you want,? Bob sighed. ?Now allow me to finish. The West attack will be under the lead of someone none of us know, except for me of course.?
?Is it anybody we should worry about?? Cyanite asked with intrigue.
?Everyone here knows Valk's power. This is another one of Spartzan's secret projects. Somehow, one of the Varlerians was able to swallow her pride under torture and gift one of Spartzan's most fierce fighters with the same ability Valk possesses. Essentially, she is a Reaper, just like him.?
Valk's interest was suddenly piqued. He took his eyes away from the ceiling and looked directly into Bob's hood. Like always he could only make out the overshadowed form of mutilated flesh, but he could tell that Bob was looking directly back at him, as if what he was saying was being said for him.
There were many powerful souls that had interested Valk over time. None more than the one that Spartzan possessed, but, someone with the same power as him would have a pre collected array of souls ready for the picking. If he was to take the life of this new project he would increase his own capabilities greatly. The question was, how strong was this project?
?Someone just like me?? Valk murmured, paying no attention to the others who were looking back and forth between Bob and Valk. ?How combat worthy is this experiment of his??
?I'm not sure how powerful it was before being unleashed, but since then, it has already demolished three cities with just an elite group of fifty men and women. So by now, it should provide you with at least a challenge. I can't see it being any better than you though, after all, it's only been able to reap human souls so far.?
?Sounds like a decent target,? Valk said with a smirk. ?Who's leading the North force??
?The North Force is being run by Spartzan himself. It's not really his custom to assist in battle himself, but seeing as this is the Capital, this must be a special occasion for him.?
?This is the chance we've been waiting for,? Cyanite blurted out in excitement, almost jumping out of his seat. ?In the middle of a full scale battle we'll have the perfect chance to assassinate him.?
Bob shook his head and placed his hand on Cyanite's shoulder, lowering back down onto his chair.
?I don't think we will even have the chance to see him. The battle will be a diversion. Along with this base, our recruits have been tunnelling out beneath Hayven to provide an escape for the civilians. Once they've escaped, we'll leave with them. We just need to hold out until then.?
?They'll never leave,? Amurios stated, sighing once again. ?Despite what Spartzan has done, and will do, the world loves him for how far he has advanced society. Plus, they won't have heard of what's happening, and I doubt too many will have been informed in two days.?
?They'll soon leave once they see their family and friends being slaughtered before their very eyes,? Valk added in, standing up as well, twirling his sword in his hand. ?You can all go, but I'm taking this chance to go for Garzavath, Spartzan, and this project of his.?
?You said so yourself that you're not our side, do as you please,? Bob replied dismissively.
?I wasn't waiting for your permission,? Valk said, yawning and stretching as he did so. ?But I've fought two Lords, fallen down a canyon and from the top of a rock snake that I also had to do battle against, plus I had to crawl out of the canyon afterwards. I watched my son try to kill me for the second time, and experienced the strangest form of liquid transportation that could ever exist. Now, I feel like hitting the sack.?
Valk began to head for the wooden door that had obviously been put up in a hurry. He had been told where his room was located previously, and right now wanted nothing more than to go there and sleep.
?I'm with him,? Amurios added on, followed by an agreeable nod from Cyanite. Just as Valk opened the door, he stopped upon hearing Bob's voice.
?Before you leave, I need to speak to you Valk,? he said. ?Come and have a seat.?
Both Amurios and Cyanite stopped, until Bob dismissed them with a wave of his hand. Reluctantly they left and headed for their rooms. Valk pulled out his seat once again and sat opposite Bob.
?What is it?? he questioned. ?I'm tired and need a rest. Is this important??
Bob didn't answer. Instead, he reached inside his cloak and threw a heavy object down on the table, followed by another. Valk looked down at them both before looking back at Bob and smiling. In front of him were two large spheres with a blue mist swirling within. The spheres were encased in large golden amulets, engraved with illegible symbols.
?Both keys to the Gears,? Valk mumbled, reaching out to take them, only to have them pulled out oh his reach by Bob. ?How did you get them??
?I stole one from Olim Merkabah a while back. King had the other. He gave it up without too much of a challenge.?

King stood atop of one of the largest buildings in Draven, one of Hayven's neighbouring cities. It was more of a cathedral, designated for Spartzan's worship. Lately it had been much more empty than a few years ago. Judging by recent attendance records, Spartzan was losing popularity.
In a flash King vanished and and was then walking across the roof of a residential building. He was in the poor area of Draven, where single buildings were home to perhaps hundreds of people cramped in under one ceiling. As he reached the end of the roof he disappeared and reappeared on the edge of the next home in the long terrace. The wind was picking up and his red coat was blowing backwards, revealing both of his curved knives at his waist. He hadn't used them since obtaining his key to the Gears, but then again, why would he need to. Everyone was probably too busy thinking that he was somewhere in Olim Merkabah after crashing Rod's aircraft into it. He had time on his hands, as much time as he could possibly want if he was to find the second key, wherever it was. He had just met up with an informant, and like the previous three he spoke of one man; a man with rotting skin, clad in a black cloak. It appeared to be the same person that had help him escape with the first key not too long ago. If he could just find him again, he could perhaps ask for help.
Once again King was gone, and was then making his way along the street below. On either side were murky, wooden houses, all made in the same way, with alcohol filled drunks lying outside waiting for death to take them. Everything appeared to be a sickly brown, even the sky. It was still unknown to him why the informant he had just met up with had chosen such a place.
As he thought to himself, he heard some footsteps approach him from behind. Swiftly he turned, with one katana-like blade drawn and his hand resting on the hilt of the other. Three men were headed in his direction. The one on the middle being the informant from before. He was a short, stumpy man with practically no hair. He was aged, and wore a pair of glasses far too large for his face. The rest of his clothes were brown and grey, torn and unwashed. On each side were two incredibly well built men, dressed in the same way with even less hair than the informant but with fewer teeth. Cuts and bruises littered their faces. King could already see where things were going.
?So, thought one of you fancy types could come down here with your fancy clothes and fancy... fancy, huh?? the informant sneered with a hiss at King. ?We're fine with that as long as you bring your sweet money with you and let us take it from you.?
?This has got to be one of the worst played out and most stupidly thought out robbery plans I've ever seen,? King spat back at them. ?You lured me out here just so you could mug me??
?That's right,? the informant admitted. ?Plus, we're being paid well for this here job. We take one thing off you for our employer, we keep the rest, and on top of that, we get given the mulah for doing this after.?
?You want this I guess?? King asked, taking the amulet key out of his coat and spinning it in his palm. ?Well then, come and get it.?
The two men accompanying the informant charged forwards, taking out large butcher knives from their waist. One swung his knife at King, who parried the blow with his own weapon and kicked back the first attacker. As the second lunged in with a stab, King drew his previously sheathed weapon and slashed horizontally before the attack could arrive, removing the second mugger's arm completely. As he roared in agony, King drove both of his weapons through his torso, lifted the writhing man in the air with considerable effort and threw him down into the ground. One of them now harmless, he turned to face the other who was running at him again after withdrawing both of his swords from the fallen man's stomach. The mugger swung his knife at King's neck, who then ducked and plunged both of his knives into his feet. Now unable to move, the attacker was open to King's seemingly endless punches to the torso and face until he fell backwards. Because of his weight, the knives through his feet tore completely through as he fell, leaving him unable to walk. Still he didn't give up, and attempted to slash at King's ankles. King stepped out of reach before swinging a kick into the man's armed hand, breaking his wrist and leaving him weaponless as his knife disappeared into the distance.
?I was afraid you would resist our superior ability,? the informant sighed. ?So it appears to my person, that I will have to be the one that deprives you of your belongings.?
As he stopped speaking he bent down and picked up a stone before hurtling it at King. King laughed and lifted his hand to catch it. In that moment, it caught fire and landed dead in King's palm, who screamed in shock, and pain, before dropping it.
?You've studied magic?? King asked in surprise as he blew on his hand.
?Not so brave now are you young 'un,? the mage sneered. ?Why don't you just give up what it is, the object, that I want, along with your clothes and money, and I'll leave you alone.?
?Not happening,? King retorted, and disappeared. An expression of fear suddenly spread across the mage's face as he turned one way to another searching.
?Come out boy!? he ordered, swivelling around surprisingly fast for a man of his age. ?Stop toying with me and fight like a man.?
For a moment he caught a glimpse of King on top of a nearby building, and wasted no time in throwing a puny ball of flame that extinguished before it could reach King's location.
?Great mage you are,? King suddenly said, appearing a few feet behind his informant. Another fireball was thrown his way, but King stopped it with a simple wave of his weapon before it could hit. During his disappearing act he had recollected them from the ground where they had been left. Before the third could be created, King had appeared directly in front of the mage with both swords at the man's throat. No words were spoken as he pushed the pair of them through the tender muscles of his neck and watched as his head fell to the ground. The other two were still writhing on the ground, yet as King walked past them he drove his swords into their hearts and sheathed them once again after cleaning the blades with his sleeve.
?Nice work,? came a voice from behind him just as he was about to vanish once again. Looking over his shoulder he saw Bob standing between the three bodies. His sword was drawn and he was approaching King slowly.
?You,? King gasped, turning around to face him. ?I've been hoping to see you. I wanted to thank you for the help before.?
Bob ignored his thanks and kicked away the body of the mage with a shake of his head.
?I hired them so I wouldn't have to do this myself, but I guess I'll have to. King, I need the key back. Just give it here.?
King lowered one eyebrow and took a step forwards.
?You helped me escape with it. You can't just take it from me now. Don't make me stop you.? King retorted, already gripping his swords once again.
?I needed you to keep it away from me and those who were pursuing the object. Anyway, it was destiny that dictated that I would help you escape and then take it from you.? Bob explained, reaching out with his hand. ?Pass it over.?
?I don't believe in destiny,? King replied with a single laugh. ?I heard you had the second key too. What if I want to take that from you??
?I know that you'll try, and fail,? came Bob's response. ?Why don't you prove to me that destiny can be wrong and just give me the key. That way, you might just live out the night.?
?No,? King said simply, drawing his swords with a teeth chattering screech. Bob also took out his weapon from within the cloak, unravelling it from it's black cloth and slashing through the air.
King disappeared and in the blink of an eye was in front of Bob swinging both of his knives skilfully. Bob parried every blow with one arm behind his back, never removing his eyes from King's. Seeing that it was useless, King grunted and was suddenly behind Bob, swinging at the back of his legs. Bob took a step forward, out of the swords' reach before vanishing himself.
?What is this?? King shouted angrily. He now felt the fear that the mage had felt previously as he searched the surrounding area with caution. A number of men and women were lining the streets, observing the action. A figure in the distance, quite a way down the road caught his attention. Bob was beckoning for him to advance, and so he did. King teleported to Bob's location and once again they were locked head to head, exchanging blows.
?I know every move you're going to make,? Bob chuckled as he continued to block every attack that King made.
?Nobody can see the future in such a way, the future can only be seen through prophecies, and even then, nobody can be sure that such visions are real? King spat back, appearing at Bob's left side, and then the right, all the while attempting to leave a scratch, but failing every time.
?I don't see the future,? Bob responded mysteriously as he delivered a sweeping kick to King's ankles, knocking him to the floor. ?I see the past.?
As King thudded to the ground Bob held his sword to the man's throat and grinned. King lay in fear, and confusion.
?What?? he asked, now puzzled.
?I'm afraid you won't live long enough to understand. This your last chance. Give me they key, and you might find out before your death.?
King didn't answer. Instead, he faded rapidly. Bob sighed and rested his face in his palm before turning to face the end of the street. Gradually he began to spin the sword in his hand by the hilt until it reached an incredible speed. With blinding swiftness he threw the sword with perfect straightness down the road. It was then King chose to reappear with his back facing Bob directly in the sword's trajectory. With a look of relief he turned to wave goodbye mockingly to Bob, only to have the weapon pierce through his ribcage and splice out of the other side of his body. Bob observed as his body toppled to the ground, but he wasn't dead yet.
?I told you,? Bob murmured under his breath as he began to walk towards King to recollect his sword. As he arrived, he saw King wimpering, attempting to remove the blade from his body with little effect.
?Just take it,? King groaned, taking the key out from his coat and tossing it across the ground to Bob's feet. Bob picked it up and nodded in thanks before swishing his hand slightly. On command, the sword ripped its way out of King's side and returned to its owners possession, leaving a large gash in the side of his body.
?I won't be the one to kill you,? Bob said as he wrapped his sword back in black cloth and placed it back inside his cloak along with the second key. ?I obtain no benefit from such an act, but the people surrounding us need clothes, money... and food. Enjoy yourself.?
Bob vanished in a flash, leaving King in the middle of the road, in a pool of his own blood. The poor and the homeless around him were beginning to advance on King, who was making an incredible effort to stand up. With a moan of pain he teleported once, erratically, but only managed to gain a few metres of distance as he appeared lying on his front on the ground. As he tried again, he only manage to flicker away momentarily and change his position on the ground. The hungry members of poverty arrived at that moment, knives and all sorts of weapons drawn. King didn't have the energy to scream or shout as they descended upon him during his final hour.

?So you stole the key back from King?? Valk asked, smiling. ?Really, I don't care how you got them. Just give them to me.?
?No,? Bob replied, raising both eyebrows and shaking his head. ?I need you to help me here with the upcoming battle. It will be beneficial for both of us in some way. I know you want to get your hands on Spartzan's project and take the soul for yourself. This will be your only chance.?
Before Valk could answer there was a sharp knock on the door. Without waiting for an answer a soldier burst in. It was a member of the Fifth Order, and Valk was somewhat pleased to see that the uniform had stayed more or less the same. It still consisted in black, plated torso armour and grey leg wraps, along with the cape which this soldier had chosen to wear in its regular way, tied around the neck and reaching down to the back of the legs.
?What is it?? Bob asked curiously. Valk smirked. He knew Bob now as well as he knew himself, somehow, and it was obvious that the cloaked man already knew why the soldier had come.
?We have captured what could be one of Spartzan's spies near the entrance to our base,? he explained, sweating from what was probably a long sprint from the entrance to this room. ?It's one of his higher authority fighters, sir. Yet, she claimed that she had some useful information for us the moment we explained who we were. She also requested an audience with Valk. Somehow she knew that he was here.?
?She?? Valk said to himself out loud. Who could it be?
?Bring her in then,? Bob ordered. The soldier nodded and beckoned for someone out of view to enter. Two men then came in through the door, carrying a woman dressed in a red robe under the shoulders. As they entered they threw her to the floor. Valk instantly recognised her as she got up and dusted herself off.
?Er... hello there,? she said to Bob, glancing momentarily at Valk. ?My name's Juneva, and I would like to join your Order.?
?Juneva,? Bob repeated under his breath. ?One of Spartzan's elite. What is someone like you doing here??
?I have seen the chaos that Spartzan is causing, and I am opposed to it,? she stated without looking away from Bob. ?His armies are also headed this way. And should arrive in three days. I came looking for Valk, who I heard had turned against Spartzan and had gone into hiding, but when my spies reported that he had been taken to what could be another resistance, I had to come.?
?What makes you think we should believe you?? Valk interrupted viciously. ?For all we know Spartzan could have sent you here to infiltrate and destroy us from within.?
?Let her talk,? Bob ordered with tranquillity. ?I know myself that she can be trusted,? he then looked back over at Juneva, who was brushing some hair away from her eyes with her hand. ?What information do you have for us then? We already know the battle formation, and everything about who shall be leading each attacking force. Is there anything new you can divulge to us??
Juneva seemed slightly surprised. How could they have known what was coming even before the battle? She had heard of Spartzan's father's greatness, but she never would have suspected that it reached such a level that he was able to see what was to come. Unless, they had a spy somewhere near Spartzan, someone of higher rank.
?Well, the group sent to the ruins of Frakxuja's fortress managed to salvage some things. Rod, our expert on technological devices, has managed to recreate from the damaged parts, an incredibly large elemental cannon...? Juneva began, only to be cut off by Bob.
?So, Project Genesis is coming back against me then,? he chuckled. ?What else??
?Since King crashed Rod's aircraft in Olim Merkabah, Valk can tell you about that, he has had time to rebuild it, and improve it. It is now much larger, and has become a battlecraft, well, that's what he calls it.?
?How powerful is it now?? Valk asked, placing one elbow on the table and resting his chin in his hand.
?The damaged cannons from the Fourth Order's base have been repaired and built into the craft, but that's not the worst part. Project Genesis, as you called it, has been fixed to the base and is now a mobile weapon. Of course, this is a last resort. Spartzan wants as many bodies as he can get, so he'll only use the craft's full capabilities in a case of emergency.? Juneva explained calmly. Bob merely sat in his set nodding and listening attentively. Of course, he already knew everything she was saying. Valk couldn't help but feel troubles as to why he was going to so much trouble to make sure everything happened a certain way. Why was it that he needed destiny to be completed so perfectly?
?What about Arch and Rod themselves. Where will they be during the battle?? Bob questioned, taking a mental note of everything.
?Rod will be piloting the Battlecraft Genesis, along with Spartzan, joining the North attack force.?
?And Arch?? Bob asked once again. Juneva had become silent and was staring at the ground.
?What will he be doing?? Valk shouted violently, causing Juneva to glare at him, before returning to her regular composure.
?Arch's feelings for me are to deep. By now I'm sure he knows that I have left without being given orders, along with the rest of Olim Merkabah. I'm a traitor now, just like Lord Amurios. The spies that still remain loyal to me tell me that he has been to assassinate both me and the former lord.?
?As I suspected,? Bob said with a sigh of relief. ?At least the events are occurring as they are supposed to,? he paused and got to his feet, followed by Valk who was now more tired than ever. Upon being called, a soldier made his way over to Bob and saluted, awaiting the cloaked man's orders. ?Show miss Juneva to a room.?
The soldier nodded and walked towards Juneva before motioning her out of the room and further into the base. Valk was ready to leave once again, until Bob stopped him for the second time.
?What now?? Valk grunted with frustration.
?Arch will arrive early tomorrow morning. I'm not sure how he gets in but he'll be in Juneva's room when we find him. I'll pass by your room so that we can go and take care of him. Be ready.?
Sig and avy by Jam Jar

SUPERMAN5 Posted: 15:07 Sep23 2008 Post ID: 2434124
SUPERMAN5
+
the fic has been bumped on Cat's request. don't kill me over this...
Cataclysm Posted: 18:13 Sep23 2008 Post ID: 2434507
Cataclysm
+
Chapter 40: First Invasion

Valk felt his dreamy eyes lifting as the nudges in his arm gradually began to grow stronger. For the first time since he had taken the first Varlerian's life he had had a peaceful sleep. There had been no dreams, or visions, nor had he been knocked unconscious. He had simply slept, and now he was being awoken once again. He wasn't used to living underground again, but something told him it was early, despite the lack of sky or sunlight to help him tell.
The bed he was lying on was hard and uncomfortable, but it was still a bed, and it had kept him warm. He was grateful for just that.
?Get up,� came a familiar, impatient voice. Without fully opening his eyes, Valk knew that it was Bob now almost punching him in the arm. ?Arch is here.?
Valk's eyes then opened fully, revealing Bob who was standing over him with his sword held out at his side. Like always, his face was overshadowed by his black hood, but it was easy to deduct that he was preoccupied.
?He's here already?? Valk asked drowsily. ?Is Juneva in any danger just yet??
?Not at the moment, no. But she will be soon if you don't get a move on.? Came Bob's reply. The hooded man backed away, giving Valk some space so that he could turn and put his feet on the ground. He had slept in nothing but the grey wraps covering his lower torso, revealing just how beaten and scarred his body was from the battles he had witnessed and formed a part of. Gashes had left their mark all over him, some still bleeding slightly but healing little by little. From the floor Valk took his footwear and slipped them on, before grabbing his torso plating from the small bedside table and lifting it over his head and allowing it to fall down to his shoulders. Around his wrist was the small chain and impulse jewel he had almost forgotten about, dangling loosely and waiting to be used. The blood stained sword was propped up against the wall nearby, it's silver surface glittering under the elemental light hovering near the ceiling. Even the patterns of blood appeared to be rippling gracefully. Valk stood up and made his way over, his angelic wings unfolding behind him with each step, until all four were arched around him, almost forming a sphere of protection. This was however, just because at their full level of growth, Valk wouldn't be able to move freely around the room.
?What do you need me with you for anyway?? Valk questioned as he wrapped his fingers around the hilt of the Reaper. He gave it a twirl in his hand before holding it down at his side in a similar way to which Bob was holding his own fractured blade. ?You beat King on your own with ease. You don't need my skills now.?
?You should know that answer to that question by now,? Bob responded, shrugging as he turned for the wooden door that would lead them to the main corridor of the underground base.
?Because that is the way things are supposed to be?? Valk recited followed by a sigh. ?I wish you would just tell me what's going on, and make this whole affair just a tad easier.?
?You'll find out yourself in a matter of days. And when you do, I will no longer be here to guide you. If everything goes the way it is supposed to, then very soon I will die, and I'll have to put faith in the fact that you will make the right decisions from there on,? Bob answered calmly as he reached for the door handle. He didn't look back at Valk, but if he had, he would have seen an expression of curiosity and confusion.
?You've told me since I met you that you needed me so that you could survive, and now you're telling me that you're going to die??
?I needed you here so that I could survive, up until the point in which I am supposed to die. Simple,? Bob replied as he opened the door fully and took a step out. ?If I die, then that will prove that destiny really does have complete control over us all, and you won't have anything to worry about until your time comes... which also isn't long. If I survive then... lucky me I guess.?
Valk followed Bob out of the room silently. He was already confused enough at is, and by thinking that he could be perhaps playing along for the control over his own life wasn't helping. But, Valk could feel that whatever Bob was saying was true. If he said that there was only a few days left until he understood everything, then there probably was. He could bide his time a little longer.

After merely ten minutes of walking, Bob stopped outside a wooden door, identical to the one that led into Valk's room. It was badly made, obviously in a rush like every other object in the base, but it was sturdy, and was without holes.
?We're here,? Bob stated sternly. He had now become a man of absolute seriousness, and Valk could tell.
?What now?? Valk questioned, flexing his right arm and wings as he spoke. He was still weary, and was just gathering enough energy so as not to fall on the ground and sleep. Despite all the power that he had accumulated, he couldn't fight fatigue.
?We wait here for about thirty seconds, until Arch arrives,? Bob turned for the door and pushed it slightly ajar, peeking in as he did so before withdrawing and closing it once again. ?He isn't there yet. That means that Juneva is still safe, and that we have a little time on our hands until the fight begins. Get yourself ready.?
?How long do I have?? A small breeze passed them by as Valk asked. As refreshing as it was, Valk couldn't help but feel that having a breeze underground was a little illogical.
?You don't have any now. That's our cue. He's here too.? Bob said, kicking into the door and knocking it clear off its hinges. He charged in with surprising speed, holding his free arm up as he did so. A small flame leapt from his palm, rising to the roof of the cavern room and amplifying the potency of the elemental light, revealing what appeared to be quite a large, but empty room. Valk followed him in, seeing the brief form of Arch's cloaked body in an instant as the teleporter vanished. Bob was already prepared. He outstretched his arm towards the doorway, causing several bolts of forked lightning to leap from his fingertips. Valk rolled aside and avoided the sudden attack in his direction, but it seemed that Arch hadn't been so lucky. The albino was hunched over just inside the door frame, sparks jumping from a sizzling black cloak.
?You're not faster than light Arch,? Bob gloated from the centre of the room, shaking his fist and blowing some smoke from his hand as he observed Arch. Valk was on one knee having narrowly rolled out of the way, but in a flash was back on his feet and running for Arch. Ready to strike. As he approached, he saw Arch raise his crossbow and aim for his head. Valk conjured up a weak shield rapidly in front of him as the bolt was let loose, causing it to disintegrate upon impact.
?But I'm faster than both of you,? Arch grunted, vanishing as Valk made a horizontal slash for his chest before appearing on the far side of the circular room, as far away from Bob and Valk as possible. He still had one arm free, and with it reached into his cloak and drew four heavily decorated knives, one between each finger. The blades were green, and dripping with what Valk suspected was a deadly poison.
?I wouldn't be so sure about that,? Bob answered back smugly before the knives could be thrown. ?King is dead. He won't be bothering you any more, which I suppose is a good thing. Although he was your brother after all.?
Arch could be seen with a brief moment of horror sweeping across his face, discrete but noticeable. He soon regained his composure however, and reached over his shoulder with all four knives, ready to let them loose.
?Then you've done us all a favour,? Arch swung his arm out in front of him, throwing the four weapons with incredible speed. Two were headed for Bob, and the other two for Valk. Bob stood on the spot and allowed them to hit, one in the shoulder and another in the gut. He appeared to not even notice, and with his unarmed hand he reached for the knife in his shoulder and ripped it out before dropping it to the ground, followed by the second.
Valk held out his hand, a red jewel sparkling in his palm, before allowing a pulse of transparent energy to burst from within and knock both projectiles away from wherever they could hurt him. Arch it would seem, had become annoyed, and was already reloading his cross bow with incredible speed.
?You must feel a little hurt,? Bob replied with an element of mockery in his tone. ?Come on. Show some love for your family.?
?He was a traitor and a common thief!? Arch suddenly shouted, firing a bolt towards Bob. It hit home, where Bob's heart was supposed to be, but didn't kill. Arch disappeared, and chose to reappear just in front of Bob with an expression of fury and desperation burning across his pale face. ?But he wasn't to be dealt with by anyone else. I was the one who was supposed to stop him, put and end to his selfish ways and bring him back to us... back to Spartzan,? Arch swung his crossbow towards Bob's face, who simply leaned back and allowed it to pass him by. ?He was my problem. My responsibility and my brother!? he continued, now almost drowning in tears of his own anger as they poured down his cheeks. ?With Juneva soon to be gone, King would have been all that I have left, but you, you took that away!? he finished, holding up a loaded crossbow inches away from Bob's forehead. It was wobbling, along with Arch's arm that was now closer to being jelly than a limb. Bob remained silent, only turning his head to look at Valk who had taken a step forwards.
?I couldn't be happier over King's death,? Valk interrupted, receiving a ferocious glare from Arch, who then turned his weapon upon Valk. Valk didn't flinch however, and continued to speak. ?It has brought me closer to what I desire. But, King died a free man, like I will one day. He fought for nobody but himself and,?
?He was a slave to his own desires. That's how he died and how you will!? Arch blurted out. A vain was throbbing in his head, and his eyes were almost bursting from his head. In a matter of moments he had become hysterical upon hearing of his brother's death. Valk looked down at the mark of the Order on his hand. There had been a time where such petty things would have caused him to enter in such a state, but he had matured beyond that stage now. What were human lives to him in the greater scheme but mere souls that would grant him more power? He had been given the ability to reap their pathetic lives for a reason, and that was to become a God among them, just as Spartzan had done.
?All you do is what Spartzan tells you to do,? Valk said sympathetically. ?He won't need you once he has the race that he has set out to create.?
?You think I don't know that?? Arch responded as loud as he possibly could. ?When his harvest is over he will take my life too, and my body will become a shell to contain a Varlerian soul. My spirit will be liberated from this doomed world, and because of that, the future generations may live in peace.?
?Take no notice,? Bob interjected with a chuckle. ?I'm sorry to say this but you will die before you can even come close to understanding what he means. To be honest, not even I know.?
?Because you are both blind,? Arch added on. ?Spartzan does not wish to create an army, or an unstoppable force. You couldn't be further from the truth. Spartzan fights to evolve the human race. A race to weak to hold their own against the true enemy. The Varlerians. They are the ones that wish to end us all. By sealing Varlerians within human bodies, they're power will be reduced and they will lose the strength to destroy us all. All we must do is leave a small amount of humans alive... the children, and they will be able to continue the human legacy without the fear of Varlerian obliteration.?
Valk stood silently, his eyes focused on the bolt that was aiming directly for his head. All that was racing around within his skull was confusion. Spartzan was strong enough to defeat the Varlerians on his own, but as he had came close years ago... they had sealed themselves away from his harm. And he had been the one to free the first. With one seal broken, that Varlerian could free the rest.
?Stop dwelling on what he said,? Bob said almost comfortingly. ?Worry about the Gears first, and then Spartzan's plans will come into play.? Before Valk could ask any further questions, Bob took a sudden step towards an unsuspecting Arch and drove his sword through the man's side. Arch's expression became one of shock as Bob withdrew his weapon and allowed the cloaked albino to fall to his knees. His crossbow clattered to the ground at his side. Valk kneeled down in front of the man who appeared to be rapidly bleeding to death and placed both of his hands on his shoulders, laying his own sword down carelessly.
?Keep talking,? Valk ordered, determination burning within his eyes. Arch however, was apparently in a completely different world to him now.
?Where is Juneva?? he mumbled quietly, now looking emptily into the space before him.
?You came to kill her.? Bob said without emotion, turning away from both Valk and Arch. It seemed that way to Arch, to whom the world was becoming fainter and fainter, but to Valk his voice almost could have contained anger.
?Why would you kill the woman you love?? Valk asked urgently. ?What is it that drove you??
Arch looked away from the place at which he was staring and gazed into Valk's eyes with his own, now fading.
?She betrayed Spartzan. He would have killed her horribly if he had found her. I wanted to provide her with a quick liberation,? he explained in almost a whisper. The pauses between each word that left his lips were becoming greater. A white aura of curative magic began to glow around Valk's hands. The wound in Arch's side began to seal and stop bleeding, yet his mouth began to twist until from his throat came a horrible shout of agony He toppled onto his side, holding both of his hands up to his head and trying to block out the world around him. Valk stood up immediately in shock, sword in hand. ?This world is driven by the desire to kill, there is nothing else,? he declared in a tearful scream, perishing in his own sorrow. Bob looked down at him, shaking his head, yet Valk seemed intrigued, and at the same time puzzled. ?
?What has happened to him?? Valk asked without taking his eyes off of the man who continued to writhe on the floor hopelessly.
?He entered the realm of death, briefly,?� Bob began with a sigh. ?And upon doing so experienced a world without pain or suffering. You brought him back before he could fully transcend. His soul found true happiness, and was brought back to reality. A human soul cannot withstand such torture. Put him out of his misery,? Valk looked from Arch to Bob's stern nod before holding his sword to Arch's neck. ?Do it,? Bob urged.
Valk shut his eyes and sliced through the man's throat swiftly. For the first time, he felt an ounce of remorse from taking a life. It wasn't because he had killed, but he had trapped the man's soul within himself, never to obtain eternal rest, only to merge with his own and become another addition to his strength.
?I know how you're feeling,? Bob murmured, placing one of his mutilated hands on Valk's shoulder. ?But you can't let this get in the way of your quest to gain control over the Gears. If you do, then I will not survive, and your future shall be destroyed.?
?Explain to me why this is, and I'll listen. I want answers,? Valk ordered, glaring through the side of his eyes at Bob. To his surprise, Bob nodded and lowered his hood, revealing fully his face. Lumps of flesh were missing, its surface was infected and many parts of his skull were visible.
?I've had to stay in this state for a while, but at least now I can feel complete again, even for only a moment,? Bob smiled, holding up his left hand to his face. Curative magic began to flow from his palm and fingers onto his face, spreading across his entire cloaked body. Valk raised one eyebrow as he saw that the wounds were beginning to heal. The fleshless and boneless areas now had skin growing back over, slowly reforming a normal human face.
Valk could feel himself descending further into confusion as he saw the face that was beginning to form. Strands of black hair were growing back and down to his shoulders. The eyes were being sucked back into sockets and cuts were becoming scars. Bob exhaled in relief as he felt himself becoming healthy once again, as if he was being freed from some sort of eternal agony, until he allowed his hand to fall back to his side. The head, along with every other visible part of his body, had now been completely healed.
?Surprised?? Bob asked, looking into Valk's wide eye sockets with a twisted smile crawling up one side of his mouth. Valk nodded and stepped back, before looking at Bob once again from head to toe. There was no doubt about it. His identity was unmistakeable, despite the twenty years or so of age difference between the image he was used to seeing.

On the edge of a vertical drop stood a young child, of only about eleven years of age. His toes were almost completely over the side of the cliff's end, where below the sea met a wall of earth and lapped against it gently. On the horizon the sun was ascending bit by bit, blazing out across what looked like the joining of the sea and sky, causing both to glow blood red.
The child had dark, brown hair that was being swept back in the breeze. Had it been still, it would have fallen just past his ears before breaking off into think strands. He was staring out to sea hopelessly. He had travelled the lands searching for revenge. The desire to exact his vengeance upon his father still remained, but there was now another emptiness within him. He felt alone.
Behind him he could hear footsteps approaching, breaking the crisp grass below. Before he had even turned around he knew that there was more than one person closing in. His guess was four.
?Hey there Kid,? came a calm, soothing male voice. The child turned to see not four, but five people approaching, Four were men, and the other was a women. The one who had called him was standing next to her with a smile on his face. ?We've seen you travelling for the last few days now, alone. What's your name kiddo??
The boy remained silent. First he looked towards the man speaking to him, until his eyes wondered to the female. She was slightly taller than him, with a beautiful face, almost mesmerising. She was looking directly back at him, ferocious red hair trailing down the sides of her face, with thinner area being blown over her similarly coloured eyes. She was dressed in a simple dark violet robe and sandals, yet one feature caught the young male's attention. On her right arm was a red gauntlet, with bone like spikes protruding from erratic places on the arm piece. It appeared to be made from glass, with a red mist swirling beneath it.
?Tell us your name,? she said softly, nodding towards the boy who looked down at the ground, before lifting his head once again.
?I call myself Edikeo,? he said quietly. He was fully decided. He was going to leave the name his mother and father had given him behind. Edikeo would become his new alias. Zyro was a thing of the past.
?Kailene here has detected great power emanating from you,? the man continued, placing his hand on the woman's shoulder. He was dressed in full, silver battle armour. Under one of his arms was a gleaming helmet with a single horn placed in the centre of the forehead area. Beneath his armour was a suit of chain mail. He was well protected, but didn't appear to be wielding any weapon. ?Do you know what Kailene is?? Edikeo shook his head. Whenever in Valk's presence, anger filled him and he lost the ability of self control, but now, confronted with just strangers, he felt nervous and exposed. ?Kailene is a Varlerian. The Varlerians are bad people, but Kailene is good. She wants to help you, help us...?
?I know what Varlerians are,? Edikeo interjected rudely. ?They're a manipulative and ancient race. Because of them, and Spartzan, my father was driven to causing the death of my mother, and my sister,? despite not knowing Edikeo's story, the man bowed his head in respect, along with the three guards, similarly dressed but with their helmets on, without the horn. He had a slightly darker skin than the Varlerian's, but was bigger in build. He had grey stubble across his jawline that linked with thick grey hair that was combed back. Despite this, he didn't appear to be that old. Edikeo's first guess was somewhere between thirty and forty years of age. ?He also destroyed me.?
?What do you mean?? Kailene asked curiously, tilting her head to the side. Everything about her was enchanting. From the way she spoke to each and every one of her graceful movements.
A transparent aura of rippling reality formed around Edikeo momentarily. As it did so, his looks began to fall away from him into nothing like a sheet slipping from a table. Whereas he had previously been dressed in slacks and a brown tunic, he could now be seen in brown, blood stained rags. His face was completely deformed. There were no eyes or ears, only a deformed nose and jaw. His hair was dirty and in a mess, covering up part of his face.
?This is what I mean,? came Edikeo's voice once again. The others heard him speak in the exact same way as before, but his lips were no longer moving.
?He covers himself with an illusion,? the Varlerian whispered to the armoured man. ?Now, he is speaking into our minds. Even by my standards, this power is advanced. A human could only achieve such levels of illusion through the Reapers spell. That, or someone with the power to do so gave it to him.?
Edikeo laughed, although there was no mistaking the sadness badly concealed within his chuckle.
?Don't think that by speaking quietly you can hide your thoughts,? Edikeo stated. Beneath the helmets of the others he knew that they were looking at him in disgust. ?I stepped over death's line and entered their realm, but I was brought back. Valk, my father, sent me there, and it was him who revived me. I have come into contact with the souls of the spiritual realm, and they aid me now.?
?How did you survive the mental torture of half transcendence?? Kailene asked with curiosity.
?He's is only a kid,? the man in armour answered instead of Edikeo. ?He hasn't experienced the true horrors of the world yet, so the revival wasn't as painful. You can see that he has sustained heavy psychological damage though. Had he been older, he wouldn't have been able to accept his resurrection, and would have destroyed himself completely.?
?I see,? the Varlerian complied, looking back at Edikeo with a sympathetic stare. ?I hate my race for things they have done also,? she explained, placing her hand over her heart. ?They have manipulated and killed people close to me, just as they have done to you. But, upon reviving you you have been given a gift. You have obtained power. Power that can be used to stop the Varlerians, and Spartzan's plans. It is true that he also fights the Varlerian race, but in the completely wrong way. We came looking for you, because we want you to help us.?
With a simple wave of his hand Edikeo restored the illusion around him, once again becoming the handsome young boy he had been before. He took a few short steps towards the five people before him and nodded.
?I can help, I promise, but only if you promise me that you will help me find my father, Valk. Not just for me, but for everyone. Power has made him so hungry, that he can no longer think for himself. All that he obsesses over is acquiring more strength for himself.? Edikeo proposed, with an element of grief added to each word that was spoken.
?His father must be the Reaper our spies told us of,? the Varlerian admitted to both the bearded man and the others. ?Nobody knows if he works for Spartzan or fights against him, but he disappeared in Hayven not too long ago... Spartzan's next harvest objective.?
?We can't promise you anything,? the man in armour then said to Edikeo sternly. ?But it is most likely that his desires and those that our faction strive for will cross, and we will meet at some point. When that time comes, you will be the first to know. What do you say??
Edikeo stopped to ponder the offer for a moment. Though young, his mind was mature, and he knew that by being with others he couldn't possibly be any worse than he already was. Plus, it seemed that these people could bring him closer to Valk.
?I accept.?
?Good,? both the man and Varlerian said at the same time.
?You can call me Jexter,? the man in armour grinned. ?And thank you for this. As small as you are, we need all the help we can get. Plus, Kailene really did detect a powerful source of strength from far away. That must have been you. Anyway, welcome to the Glave Pirate Faction. We mostly go around looting the rich mind, but right now we're trying to deal with this world threatening business that's brewing. We'll explain it all on the way back to town.?
Sig and avy by Jam Jar

Displaying Page 8 of 8

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | 6 | 7 | Last     Previous
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close