Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

Gears of Destiny

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 6 of 8

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Last     Previous | Next
Cataclysm Posted: 13:23 Dec19 2007 Post ID: 2038113
Cataclysm
Post Likes: 2
+
6th page!

In celebration if this, I give you... only bloody long chapter!
As far as my opinion goes, I like this chapter because of the events, but when it somes to the actual writing, I think I repeat words too much and overuse certain adjectives. What do you think?

Cheesecake!

Chapter 25: Underground

Spartzan rolled around on the floor, one hand still gripping the fragmented sword and the other holding his ribs. Valk was dreaming once again, and all around him Varlerians were surrounding the boy, each one with their own mystical aura surrounding their bodies. Looking down at the arm of the body he was seeing from, he saw that his entire body was glowing black, with a sphere of dark matter expanding in his palm. Before it could be launched, a groan was heard from behind. His body extinguished the orb along with a number of the others who all turned around to see the cloaked man who had been thought dead clawing his way down from the altar?s stairway towards Spartzan.
?Give me the sword Spartzan,? he groaned painfully. ?I have to kill you myself.?
A Varlerian took out a small knife from his waist and advanced towards the dying man, leaning down at his side and silently raising the weapon above his prone neck. As the blade?s point came rushing down, it seemed to connect with an invisible force, dispelling it from the Varlerian?s hand and sparking a shot of jet black electricity into the man?s chest. His now lifeless body was sent backwards into a wall, causing those around him to roar in anger at the man as he continued to crawl down.
?Dad!? Spartzan called, pulling himself up from the ground and taking the sword firmly. As a Varlerian turned to face him he jabbed upwards with the weapon, piercing beneath his target?s jaw and spraying blood violently as the mystified steel protruded from the top of his skull. ?I?ll save you!?
Looking towards his son, Spartzan?s father grabbed the ankle of another one of his attackers, sending a fierce bolt through his body and causing him to crumble to his feet. As another ran at him he slammed his own palm into the ground, summoning a column of flame from the ground before him, consuming a further two Varlerians.
?Bring me the sword, son,? he shouted back, reaching outwards with his free hand as he defended himself with the other. ?Your life can?t end any other way!?
Spartzan slashed through the gut of another and pushed his way through the crowds, parrying both physical and magical attacks as they were thrown at him, retaliating violently, until finally he reached his father?s side.
?Here,? he said as a tear fell from his eye. ?But do you have to do this? We can both escape, I?ll help you!?
?I don?t need help.? his father replied aggressively as he wrenched the hilt from his son?s hands and aimed to pierce him in the chest. As he did so, the blast from a Varlerian strike of darkness connected with his back, causing him to tumble across the floor, leaving the sword where he had previously been. Both Spartzan and the Varlerian lunged for the sword, with the Varlerian reaching it first, though before he could attack the boy, Spartzan?s hand began to glow bright red. An instant later he drove a heavy punch into the sword wielder?s chest, his arm emerging on the other side with a heart beating in his hand. Beneath it?s surface was a pure white jewel, the Varlerian?s Soulstone, and as the heart fell to the ground it?s bright blue shade began to fade away, along with the light in the Varlerian?s eyes. Spartzan wasted no time in taking the sword from the floor as it clattered to the ground and taking it to his father, who was now in a corner, a piece of bone sticking out clearly from his leg.
?Kill me,? the boy whimpered, shoving the weapon into his father?s grasp. ?You said that you have to, and you?ve protected me since I was born. You deserve to live on, and you said so yourself, that by killing me many lives would be saved.?
His father looked around at the few remaining Varlerians that were making their way over to the two of them. Whether he knew that Spartzan would one day wage a war against their entire race or not was a mystery, but he had made his decision.
?Take the sword son,? he groaned under the pain searing through his veins. ?I lied to you. This sword is imbued with a magical energy, and steals away the power of those defeated by it. You have such an awesome level of power son, and I wanted it for myself. I?ve seen the future, and I wanted to change it. But it seems that there really is no way to change destiny. Even if I was to take your life now, the conditions I?m in wouldn?t allow me to escape alive. Take it, and get out before they kill you too.?
Many a tear ran down Spartzan?s cheek as he took in what the cloaked man was saying. Even the Varlerians behind him seemed to have stopped, but not for long. Bit by bit the grew closer, each with their own weapon, ranging from sword to maces, ready to strike both father and son down. With an outburst of rage, the young boy nodded and took the sword from his father, rising up to his feet and spinning around ferociously. From the weapon leapt a dark, black energy that seemed to grow around the steel, creating a spiritual blade itself of enormous energy. With one swing, a dark ray left the newly formed sword, demolishing every living thing in its path until it collided with the wall, leaving nothing but a wreck and the site of a dingy prison around them.
?I?ll be back for you dad,? Spartzan panted, looking back at the cloaked man. A flame of fury burnt in his eyes as he spoke, reminding Valk of the High Overlord that existed in his own life. Looking downwards he was surprised to see his own body still intact, hidden amongst the many dead bodies scattered around. With no control over the Varlerian housing him he stood up as Spartzan left the room and took a longsword from his waist. Spartzan?s father had already seen him, and was attempting to call from his son, but nothing but a croak came from his throat as step by step the Varlerian drew nearer.
?Your son will die!? the Varlerian whispered as he held his sword up high, and plunged it down into the man?s cranium.

?He?ll be fine,? said a feminine voice from somewhere in the distance. ?I?m managed to remove the poison, but there are still traces left. He may feel a little dizzy at first.?
?That?s good,? replied a heavier voice. ?We wouldn?t want our new leader to die on his first mission would we??
Valk?s vision slowly began to return, with the first things in sight being the blur of three heads leaning over him. His eyes felt like lead weights as he tried to open them a little more, and at that moment it seemed gravity was having a desperate fight against him, and winning.
?He?s coming to,? said someone else, sounding somewhat grumpier. ?I?ll go check on Rod. His condition seems worse.?
It took some time, but eventually Valk began to see again. He was still lying in the field, and the ship was still next to him. At his sides were Juneva and Korven, each one looking over at Arch as he tried to comfort Rod about the damages to his ship. Above him, the sky was darkening, and was now a dark red, purple colour, signalling that evening was arriving.
?That King?s a *******,? Valk complained as he sat up. The other four immediately looked over in surprise as he shook his head and wiped his eyes. ?How long was I out??
?About six hours,? Arch replied. ?The poison had worked it?s way in pretty well, but Juneva knows what she?s doing. Anyone else working on you and you probably would be dead by now.?
?So, any changes I should know about?? Valk asked, holding his head as he spoke. Now his dreams really were starting to concern him. Everyone knew that Spartzan had practically wiped out the entire Varlerian race in a war long ago, but no one knew who or how, only the frozen Varlerians themselves. Had he just witnessed the origin of the High Overlord?s hatred towards the magically imbued race??
?Korven was inspecting the house over there,? Juneva responded, blushing slightly at Arch?s compliments. ?And don?t ask me how, but he fell through the floor. There?s a passage underneath, but we decided to wait for you to wake up before we went in.?
?And how is Rod taking the damages??
?Not well,? spoke up Korven. ?He?s been scrubbing the underneath with his bare hands since you and Arch got back, with no luck. He hasn?t seen the top yet, because we won?t let him go up there. He would kill you in your sleep if he found out.?
Valk grinned and lifted himself up, looking over at the almost crying inventor. The others shrugged at his almost instant recovery and stood up also.
?Rod, we?re going now. Come on!?
?Leave me here. Go on without me, for I no longer feel the will to live!?
?It?s a metal box that flies,? Arch shouted angrily. ?Get over it!?
?He doesn?t mean that,? Rod whispered to the plane, rubbing it as he spoke. ?I have to go now, but I?ll be back for you, and I?ll get you all cleaned up.?
Reluctantly, Rod made his way over to the group and followed them into the ruined building, taking one last look at his creation before shutting the doors behind them. The moment they entered they could see a large hole in the floor, and beneath it a set of stone stairs leading down to pitch darkness.
?You first,? Valk said to nobody in particular as he stood back. ?I?m the leader, so I make the decisions around here.?
Juneva sighed and pushed past him, walking downwards until she was no longer visible. For a moment, there were know more footsteps, until a bright flame floating above her palm illuminated the area. Only a few paces down was a stone door with a number of figures inscribed on its surface, vaguely representing Varlerians stood around what seemed to be a pedestal of some sort.
?Still scared?? Juneva asked acidly. Turning around, she placed her hands on the surface of the doors and pushed, only to find it wouldn?t budge.
?Let me see that,? Korven announced as he jogged down the stairs. Standing a few feet away, he lowered his shoulder and ran at the entrance to the rest of the passage, only to slam into the doors and rebound backwards with a horrible crack. At first, everyone looked at the carvings to see where the damages had been caused, but it didn?t take long for them to realise that it wasn?t the doors that had cracked.
?I?ll take care of that little injury,? Juneva sighed as she kneeled down next to Korven. ?You three try to get that door open.?
Valk, Rod and Arch each shrugged at each other and looked at the doors. They looked too firm to be pushed aside normally. Arch was the first to try, walking down he leaned against it before pushing as hard as he could, with no results. Seconds later he beckoned for Rod, and after a count of three they both carried on, their faces purple as they merely pushed themselves back.
?You could help, Valk.? Rod grumbled as his hands began to ache. Without saying a word Valk followed their steps until he reached the doors and placed his left hand on the entrance.
?Crap!? he said loudly, withdrawing his palm almost instantly. The mark on his hand was smoking, and a small sizzling noise could be heard underneath the painful groans of Korven, the annoyed mumbling of Juneva, and the united frustrated swearing of Rod and Arch. Seeing that it had at least had some effect, he reached for it once again, and wincing in pain he pushed the doors forwards, both of them opening symmetrically as his mark seared with pain. With a great slam they finally revealed the path beyond, alerting the others immediately.
?You opened it!? Korven grinned as he lifted himself up from the floor.
?Well done genius,? Rod spat as he stepped through the doors, still in a bad mood. ?One day you might win a medal for your intelligence.?
Following suit, the other four followed him through, Juneva igniting the flame above her hand once again for light. As Valk walked on, something caught his attention. Against the blackness of the almost empty stone passage, save for a few drips of water and spider webs, he was sure he could see the faint silhouette of a man walking at their side. Shaking it off as just his imagination he began to consider his dreams for the first time.
The boy he had seen had no doubt been Spartzan as a child, and the cloaked figure had been his father, but where had they been, and why were the Varlerians attacking? The father had wanted to kill Spartzan, but had tried as hard as he could to protect the boy from the Varlerians. Why?
Then the thought hit him. The cloaked man?s sword possessed the same power as his own. By killing those around him, he could effectively steal their very energy. But for Spartzan to be worth the effort of killing, he would have to possess some power, and judging by his actions, he hadn?t started the battle against the Varlerian race yet. He had demonstrated some sort of power. Where he had got it from was a mystery.
The father has also been exactly like the one he had encountered since leaving the Order. The one who had supposedly organised every moment of his life. Spartzan?s age stretched far beyond a century, meaning that he was also older than the Overlord, and possessed some sort of energy to keep him alive. The only magic he had ever heard of that was capable of that, was the Life Curse.
Was he really Cyanite? Had Cyanite been alive long before him, planning everything since the beginning? It seemed unlikely, but who else could do such a thing? Everything fitted perfectly in a twisted way. The moment Cyanite had disappeared, the leader of the Fourth Order had appeared. Both were undefeatable in battle, and seemed to know him. There was nobody else.
?Something wrong?? Juneva asked, waking up Valk from his trance of thought. The winged fighter looked over at the woman and shook his head.
?I was just thinking, that?s all. But never mind that. Do you have any idea what we?re going to find at the end of this passage??
?Just another clue probably, like we said earlier. That?s what usually happens, and King almost always shows up when we arrive. Either he?s infiltrated our contacts, or somehow knows where we are at all times. More than once he?s taken the objective of our missions, but we sent him packing this time, so I doubt he?ll be back any time soon.?
?Why do you call him King anyway?? Valk asked, simply for the sake of conversation.
?Rod?s father always used to call him Prince,? Arch answered casually, barely even looking over at Valk. ?He preferred King over even Rod himself. They spent hours together, helping with experiments and that sort of thing. It was a few years ago when he experimented on both me and him. The experiment was a complete success, but when Spartzan found out he wasn?t all too happy. He thought that he was trying to create a more powerful warrior than his almighty Overlord, and so, he killed Rod?s dad. That was when King snapped, and declaring that his father was he dead, he proclaimed that he was now King. At the time, he hadn?t left, so we started to call him that after a while. Then one day, he just got up and left, swearing revenge against Spartzan, and promising that he would bring his father back somehow. In his opinion, if we, his elite are crushed, then Spartzan will also crumble, which is why he interferes all the time.?
Valk took in the information, studying each word carefully. If King had managed to get his hands on data that Spartzan?s elite didn?t know about on the Gears, then he wouldn?t be able to let him die. Valk had no intention of staying loyal to the High Overlord anyway, and the simple thought of the power he could wield with the Gears had already begun to corrupt his mind.
?Looks like we?re here,? Korven spoke up as a glimmer of light appeared at the end of the tunnel. It rapidly began to grow larger with each step they took, as if the light was concentrated in one area and sealed of by some barrier from entering the passage. It didn?t take them long to reach it, but when they finally did, they were shocked.
?Again?? Juneva groaned. Standing in the centre of the circular room was King. The glowed with a blue aura and veins of energy ran across the floor, all concentrating themselves on a pedestal in the centre. The roof was considerably high, with flowing streams of the same, light blue mater flooding gently up the walls and through the ceiling. Directly above the stand, hovering in the air, was a circular amulet of silver and a blue stone dead in the centre. Within it was a mist, which spun and flowed hypnotically. Around it on the surface of the small object were numerous illegible inscriptions, but that was only what the group could see from the entrance.
?What took you so long?? King asked with a tone of amusement as he turned to five the party of five. He had almost taken the medallion, but had been interrupted only seconds before. ?I was expecting you all at least a few minutes ago.?
?How did you get in?? Korven retorted angrily, already preparing his gauntlets and getting into a defensive position.
?Quite simple really. I was hanging around whilst you fumbled around with the door. In case you didn?t know, only members of the Order who bear the mark may open these sealed doors, to prevent Spartzan and his forces from entering. A few of them contain just frozen Varlerians, but this one? this one is special.?
?Get out of here if you know what?s good for you,? Rod spat, drawing a large cannon similar to Valk?s from his bag. ?If it wasn?t for you, my jet would still be in mint condition.?
Valk pushed the both of them aside and stepped closer to King. His interest in King?s knowledge was growing, and he wasn?t going to let him die or escape any time soon.
?Why is this one special King?? he asked, not daring to get too close as to make the red coated man feel nervous. ?What do you want with it??
?You mean to say that you don?t even know what it is you came for?? King chuckled, grasping the medallion in his hand, and reaching inside his coat with the other. As he took the amulet from it?s place, the energy running through the room seemed to disturb itself. Its colour instantly faded and with incredible speed it retracted to the pedestal that then began to glow with a constantly intensifying light of the same colour. Seconds later, it imploded, rock and stone flying in all directions and pure matter throwing Valk off his feet. When the brightness cleared, King was nowhere to be seen.
?Don?t worry, he hasn?t gone anywhere.? Juneva said slowly, looking around cautiously. She was standing next to the only way in, and had her hand raised towards it. An almost transparent field was flowing from her fingertips, blocking the way out with a rippling barrier.
?Good job,? Valk replied as he got back up. Both his double ended matter blade and sword were now drawn, and he was constantly alert as he searched the room. Rod was pointing his weapon around the room, searching for any times of movement, and Korven was standing on the spot, ready to defend Juneva and her escape prevention wall. The only person out of sight among them was Arch.
Above them, near the roof, the two brothers suddenly appeared. King holding both of his sword forwards, pushing greatly, and Arch pushing back, using his crossbow as a shield. The moment they became visible they were gone once again, just in time to avoid a charged blast from Rod?s cannon.
?Damn!? he grunted as he pulled the trigger once again. He had no time to fully maintain the energy concentrated as King appeared behind him and swung a kick into his back, knocking the fragile inventor to the floor. Rod fired a sot backwards as he fell, but his attacker was already in another place, combating with Korven.
?Not this time King.? Korven said as he parried slash after slash from the amulet wielder. After each swing he changed position around the muscle bound servant of Spartzan, but his reflexes were great enough to challenge King, and almost every attack from either of them failed. As they battled one another, Valk ran at them, holding his sword high in the air and bringing it down vertically towards King, who held out his knife to stop the blow, and continued to strike at Korven with the other. A sweeping, red coloured sweep of a kick brought both Valk and Korven down, but he had no time to finish as he vanished to save himself from a flurry of shots fired from Rod. As he appeared on the other side of the room Arch did also, taking a bolt from his quiver and driving it at his brother?s neck. King ducked under and slashed at Arch?s heels with one knife, but missed as his target jumped over the curved steel. At the same time King jabbed at his torso area with his other weapon, but Arch had already disappeared and had become visible once again a safe distance away. With supernatural speed he loaded and fired two bolt in a matter of seconds towards King, who was now focusing on Korven who had jumped back up and was running straight at him.
Blood and gore burst backwards as both bolts struck him in the chest area. Seeing this, Valk became airborne and used a gust or air to send himself rapidly to King?s side. As he did so, he sheathed his matter blade once again, leaving both hands free to wield his original weapon. King was staggering away, the pain too great for him to teleport anywhere. After a few desperate steps he crumbled, lying on the floor in a mess, breathing slowly.
?Tell me everything you know,? Valk ordered as he landed at his side, holding the sword dangerously close to King?s neck. ?Now!?
?Never mind that,? Korven shouted. ?Kill him before he has the chance to escape.?
?Now!? Valk roared once again, ignoring Korven completely. Juneva let down the barrier and came running over to Valk, but the moment she did so, something caught Arch?s attention.
?Put the wall back up!? he called over, but it was too late. Before she could even turn around, a figure cloaked in black entered.
?Who are you and what are you doing here?? Korven asked with a hint of frustration, turning around to face the newcomer. Valk was too focused on the dying King to notice, his eyes were burning with anticipation, staring directly into those of the man on the floor that gleamed with despair.
?I have no business with you,? the man in black answered, his voice barely louder than a whisper, and calm like the ripples of a lake on a quiet day. ?Though I am certain you have no intention of allowing me to simply speak with Valk.?
Hearing his own name, Valk turned his head, and almost dropped his sword in shock as he saw the character making his way casually over. The man?s face was overshadowed by the hood, and nothing but the skeletal hand grasping a certain mysterious fragmented sword was visible.
?Cyanite?? Valk said under his breath, turning completely and leaving King completely. ?What do you want with me? I want to know!?
?Ah, that?s right, you still think that I?m Cyanite. Well, whatever you think at this moment means nothing to me. All I?m here to do is make sure that everything goes as it is supposed to.?
?And what is supposed to happen?? Valk questioned, half curiously, half anxiously. He had never had such fear struck into him since his years of torture, but this man brought him much closer than he had ever been in a long time.
?King must survive,? he responded. His other hand suddenly became visible from inside a baggy sleeve. This hand still bore flesh, ripped apart and infected, but flesh nonetheless. A white form of magic rapidly grew in his palm, and from it leapt an unbelievably fast jet of spiralling energy that broke into two above King, and seemed to heal his injuries and dissolve the bolts instantaneously. ?Escape now, and do what you intended. I?ll be along to stop you soon enough.?
King frowned as he stood back up, but he wasn?t stupid enough to allow such an opportunity to go to waist. And so, running forwards, he jumped into the air and in the blink of an eye, was gone.
?Idiot of a man!? Arch roared, loading a bolt and firing it directly at the man who had just allowed his brother to leave with the amulet. The bolt struck him in the back of the head and the echo of a sickening crunch resonated throughout the room. Unaffected, the victim reached for the projectile and effortlessly removed it from his own skull, fragments of bone snapping apart as he did so.
?Now Valk,? he continued as if nothing at all had happened. ?You may see no reason for this, but as I may have said before, destiny must be fulfilled. Destiny dictates that after aiding King in his escape, we must fight. I expect Korven, Rod, Arch and Juneva to join in also. This will give King time to leave this place in your vehicle.
?No!? Rod suddenly bellowed. With a pale expression he threw his cannon back into the bag and drew a pair of smaller, more agile looking weapons that were only slightly larger than his hands. From both, he fired uncountable blasts of pure matter, that each collided with the cloaked man. The incredible collision of each shot created an immense reaction causing a blinding reaction of white light, but his target did not even move as each one was driven forcefully into him. Valk shielded his eyes against that light that was thrown out by each blast of energy, and through his fingers, as the cloak began to tatter itself further, he thought he could see the man?s horrifically decomposed face, and it looked so familiar his stomach began to churn.
?What? Juneva gasped as the shots finally ended. The man still stood on the spot, weapon in hand, a large portion of his body visible. Bones emerged from his legs and arms in an imposible way, with holes in his sides and his inner organs still beating as blood dripped from the little by little. Rags of black still clung to his body though, covering up most o his face, left torso and left leg. Beneath he wore what seemed like the remains of rags, like any other warrior would wear, on his legs, stained with blood, and a damaged golden plate across his chest, with uncountable dents and fragments missing.
?The Life Curse,? Arch muttered from further away. ?That?s the only thing it can be.?
?Life Curse or no Life Curse, he?s going down!? Korven announced confindently, beating his chest once with one gauntlet. Running forwards he swung his fist backwards and lunged at his opponent, who merely knocked the forceful blow away with a brush of his hand, before taking Korven by the neck using the same arm, lifting him high into the air and tossing him aside. Juneva was forced to dice out of the way and onto the floor as Korven?s body was flung past here at an awesome speed and collided with the wall, cracking it beyond repair, and leaving him to slump to the ground in an unconscious heap.
?Enough of this destiny crap!? Valk shouted in fury. ?My life is mine to lead, and nobody like you is going to change my path!?
?If only you knew what you were saying,? the gored man sighed, shaking his head. ?It may be a while before you realise why all this is happening, but believe me, when you do find out, you will find yourself desperately clinging to each one of these moments, just as I am forced to do.?
?I have no connection with you. Destiny is nothing to me. Whoever, or whatever you are, nothing will stop me from gaining the power I deserve!?
?You?re right. I won?t stop you,? came the calm as ever reply. ?That is exactly what I?m doing here.?
Valk activated his matter sword and drew his cannon, tossing his other sword aside. With a charge fuelled by pure anger and the impulse of his wings he ran, ready to strike down anyone determined to stop him.

« Last edited by Cataclysm on Dec 23rd 2007 »
Sig and avy by Jam Jar

Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
King of Hell Posted: 15:30 Dec20 2007 Post ID: 2039587
King of Hell
+
Long and awesome chapter is long and awesome! Now, these are all the things I found. Everything listed below is either win or a typo.

?Before it could be launched, a grown was heard from behind.? Groan.

?Give me the young Spartzan rolled around on the floor, one hand still gripping the fragmented sword Spartzan,? he groaned painfully. ?I have to kill you myself.? Eh WTF?

?That King?s a *******,? Valk complained as he sat up. The other four immediately looked over in surprise as he shook his head and wiped his eyes. ?How long was I out??
Win.

?Not well,? spoke up Korven. ?He?s been scrubbing the underneath with his bare hands since you and Arch got back, with no luck. He hasn?t seen the top yet, because we won?t let him go up there. He would kill you in your sleep if he found out.? Win

?He doesn?t mean that,? Rod whispered to the plane, rubbing it as he spoke. ?I have to go now, but I?ll be back for you, and I?ll get you all cleaned up.? Reminds me of Pooly and his Wii?

At first, everyone looked at the carvings to see where the damages had been caused, but it didn?t take long for them to realise that it wasn?t the doors that had cracked. Should be ?realized?, and awesome!

?King holding both of his sword forwards? Both his swords

?Life Curse or no Life Curse, he?s going down!? Win

?Juneva was forced to dice out of the way and onto the floor as Korven?s body was flung past here at an awesome speed and collided with the wall, cracking it beyond repair, and leaving him to slump to the ground in an unconscious heap.? Should be dive and her.

Valk activated his matter sword and drew his cannon, tossing his other sword aside. With a charge fuelled by pure anger and the impulse of his wings he ran, ready to strike down anyone determined to stop him. Err? When did Valk get a matter sword? Eh I think your talking about the Valk in the RP.

Good chapter, looking forward to more!

Cataclysm Posted: 16:29 Dec20 2007 Post ID: 2039716
Cataclysm
+
1. Yes, grown should be groan.
2. Things got mixed up. It was a copy and paste problem.
3. My spelling gets worse after each day. I blame the Spanish.
4. "Both of his swords" is wrong?
5. Dive will be changed. And I think I didn't made things too clear. It was Korven that was knocked out when he hit the wall, not Juneva, so him is fine.
6. Back in Olim Merkabah, when Valk chose some new weapons, he also chose a double ended sword of energy. That's the matter sword. I just decided to name it that.

Good to see you enjoyed it anyway.
I wasn't planning on giving you such a bit part. But the plot has suffered a slight change regarding the original plans.
Rod wasn't based on Pooly really. He's more of a recollection of the personalities of many console loving maniacs such as myself, and not just him.

Edits will be made tomorrow.
Sig and avy by Jam Jar

Sotek Posted: 06:12 Dec31 2007 Post ID: 2053905
Sotek
Post Likes: 0
+
Two counterarguments here.

1: "At first, everyone looked at the carvings to see where the damages had been caused, but it didn?t take long for them to realise that it wasn?t the doors that had cracked." Should be ?realized?, and awesome! - No it shouldn't; Realise is perfectly good spelling and there's no need to add a "d" on the end.

2: ?King holding both of his sword forwards? Both his swords - he ment that "sword" should be plural.

Aside from the numerous typos, this was a good chapter. It was a little confusing, but at least you're building anticipation! Looking forwards to the next one.

Seeing as I now have three short stories posted, I figure I may as well put all of them in my bio, so go there for links to "The Lab", "Daemon" and "Afterlife". Additionally, you should read my fic, The Crystals of Narlkant
Cataclysm Posted: 12:21 Jan11 2008 Post ID: 2074472
Cataclysm
+
Fianlly, I give you a new chapter. Holidays suck for computer time.
Oh, and this chapter may not be worth the wait. Just saying.
Oh two, I also decided to cameo a favourite character of mine from a fic on this site without permission. I have no regrets.

Chapter 26: Rough Ride Home

With a thundering blow, Valk was knocked back from his target and into the wall of the circular room. Upon impact he dropped his weapons and thudded to the ground, defenceless. To his surprise, the cloaked figure seemed to show no intention of finishing him off. From his place on the floor he watched as Juneva followed suit by charging wildly at him, both of her arms surrounded by a bright flame of darkish colour. With a cry of effort, she threw a punch at the man, who merely stepped out of the way and ducked under another flying fist and knocked away a spinning kick that Juneva then proceeded to throw at him.
?What does this have to do with you?? she asked as her foot was brought crashing down to the ground.
?Everything,? was her answer. The deforming man then grabbed her by the throat and casually tossed her aside. ?But there?s nothing to fear. None of you can die just yet.?
Valk picked up his sword and cannon, and seeing that his elemental weapon was a great distance away he ignored it. If charging hadn?t worked, then he would try a different tactic.
?Rod, fire again,? he shouted. Rod nodded in response and aimed the two handguns once again. ?On my cue!?
Valk also aimed his cannon at the man and held down the charge. As always it began to buzz horribly as the power inside it accumulated. Across the room Rod?s weapon was doing the same. Their target merely observed them calmly, as Juneva got up from the floor once again and ran at his back. Once she was only inches away she placed her hands on his back, and down her arms ran a form of dark electricity that flooded into his body. Though not in pain, the discharge sent him stumbling forwards, and the moment he was left prone Valk took advantage.
?Fire!? he ordered. From both of their weapons an elemental blast was released, striking him in the front and causing him to lose his balance. Juneva then brought her knee uprising into his side followed by bringing her hands downwards in the form of a hammer, yet surprisingly, he didn?t fall. Moments later he swung his fist outwards and knocked the robed woman away once again before straightening himself out and chuckling. All the while Arch seemed to do nothing, simply watching.
?What are you laughing about?? Korven spat. On the floor he lay, but he had woken up from before and was gradually picking himself up. ?If that wasn?t enough for you, then I?ll make sure you?re not laughing soon.?
?Will you now?? he responded, mocking Korven as he spoke. ?I?m afraid that is not how things are supposed to happen here. You can try though. Try and prove destiny wrong if you can.?
Korven grinded his teeth and like the others ran at their attacker carelessly. With his muscles tensed he leaped through the air with his foot outstretched.
?Stop!? Juneva called to him, but too late. Before his foot could connect his ankle had been grabbed, and he was now being spun wildly. After three or four spins, the black clad man let go of Korven?s ankle, sending him into a wall uncontrollably. At that moment Arch seemed to wake up and disappeared once again, appearing with a bolt in hand behind the what seemed to be immortal.
?You?re style seems similar to one that I?ve seen before. Vaguely though,? he whispered under his breath as he plunged the bolt into the unprotected back before him.
?You would be surprised if I told you the truth,? was his reply. Calmly, the stabbed man turned around and looked Arch in the eyes, beneath his hood, and smiled. ?But that?s for another day I?m afraid. Though it seems I?ve done what I needed to do.?
As if nothing had happened, he ripped the bolt from his back and threw it back at Arch?s feet before facing the exit and strolling away.
?You?re not leaving yet,? Korven shouted after him. Rod seemed to agree as he wildly fired elemental jets. The majority missed, but those that hit seemed to do nothing as without even a look back he left the room, leaving Spartzan?s elite in silence for longer than a minute.
?Who was he?? Juneva asked in a stunned manner, breaking the silence in the process. ?And what did he want??
?I don?t know,? Korven stuttered as he attempted to catch his breath. ?But he had something to do with you,? he growled, now pointing at Valk. ?What do you know??
?Nothing,? Valk answered truthfully. ?I?ve seen him once before, and when I did he threw me off a castle wall. Apart from that, I have nothing to do with him.?
?Is that the truth?? Arch asked, picking up the bolt and twirling it in his hands. ?It seems like there?s more than this than you?re telling us.?
?There?s nothing else,? Valk answered, now slightly angered. ?Although??
?Although what?? Juneva said as she also began to stand up.
?I had a friend under the life curse. Everyone else that knew me or had even heard of me is dead now. Dead, or has no idea where I could be. He was the one that fired Project Genesis as Frakxuja?s fortress and allowed me to enter. He helped me, and the only one that could help me could be Cyanite, my friend. Everything seems to fit. He?s under the Life Curse, and that? thing couldn?t be hurt. Apart from him, I don?t know who else it can be.?
?Cyanite?? Juneva said, now feeling the pain of the blows that had been delivered to her. ?Well at least we have a name now. As soon as we get back to Olim Merkabah and report this to Spartzan we can go after him. Agreed??
?Agreed,? Valk responded after a moment of thought. ?If it really is him, then I have a thing or two to settle.?
?Then let?s get moving,? Rod said as he began to place his weapons back in his bag. ?Whilst you?re thinking about getting this, Cyanite, King is escaping with our medallion, and from what I?ve heard it seems like a pretty big clue as to what the Gears can actually do.?
?Good point,? Korven nodded. As if he hadn?t even been struck at all he stood up and made his way over to the large space that would lead them back outside, followed by the other who all seemed tired and hurt. All except Valk who had already recovered and took longer to leave as he recollected his weapons from the floor.

?No!? Rod shouted to the open air for at least half a minute as they stepped out into the green field now bathed in the evening sun. Korven patted him on the back sympathetically as he gaped eyes open at the empty space where his craft had once been.
?Be a man,? Juneva sighed as she sat down in the grass. ?Though you do have a reason to shout. How do we get back??
?Bad luck for you I suppose,? Valk shrugged, flexing his wings before them with a smirk.
?And how do you plan on entering the magma portals genius?? Arch responded, wiping the smile clean of Valk?s face. ?Unless King has a crisis of conscious and returns, we?re stuffed. I say that by eating Korven we may be able to last about two weeks if we?re lucky.?
?Wait, why Korven?? Korven asked seriously, punching the ground as he also sat down. ?I?m all muscle. Juneva?s the one you should be feeding off.?
?Are you calling me fat?? the woman replied, her palms charging with electrical force. ?Do you remember the last person to call me that??
?Fat? Never, I was just saying that-?
?Shut up,? Rod interrupted miserably. ?I happen to be prepared for a situation like this.?
With glassy eyes he looked down at his bag and reached inside. Moments afterwards he drew out a small compass like object, cased in metal with a red stone in the centre. ?I made this for Order infiltration missions. Using this, even non members can gain entrance to their underground world. I also made it possible to open the portals to Olim Merkabah just in case. It seems that paid off. Unfortunately, only Valk we able to reach the area.?
?Me?? Valk asked. ?And what do you do, sit here and die??
?You send help back to get us,? Rod answered simply, still almost in tears about the disappearance of his jet. ?Spartzan has his ways. Someone will come and pick us up.?
?And how do I know when to use it?? Valk continued to question as Rod tossed the small object over.
?It?ll start bleeping when you get near a portal access point. Use it then. It also comes with a tracker of my craft, so the moment we?re all together we can go after it.?
?I thought we were after Cyanite.? Korven butted in.
?Not until my beauty is returned to its rightful owner!? Rod stated, drawing a small weapon and aiming it at Korven with incredible speed and skill.
?Point taken,? the large man replied before looking downwards and ripping out some grass. Arch and Juneva were already sitting a fair distance away chatting quietly. ?We?ll go after King.?
?So, you know what you?re doing?? Rod said to Valk, now putting the weapon away. ?All you have to do is get back to base and tell Spartzan about what?s happened. He?ll understand if we tell him King was involved, and he may know something about this new attacker.?
?Right,? Valk nodded. ?I?ll see you later,? he continued, already beginning to rise from the ground. ?Explain what?s happening to Arch and Juneva.?
?Arch can hear us over there,? Rod replied as Valk began to create a greater distance between them. ?And don?t you dare abandon us, or we?ll find you somehow.?
Valk didn?t answer as with one great impulse he sent himself soaring upwards into the sky, fading into a spec and eventually nothing, leaving the four others hopelessly waiting beneath him.

At least an hour had passed and the device hadn?t beeped once. Valk was growing tired and his wings were beginning to ache, but even he knew that there was nowhere to sit down in the sky. He could of course, simply head for the nearest town and continue his life there, but working with Spartzan seemed to be the easiest way to get to the Gears, so he would collaborate as long as necessary. It was strange for Valk, that every time an opportunity for freedom presented itself, he somehow found himself following Spartzan?s orders out of lust for power. Yet as he soared through the clouds that didn?t occur to him. Only his objective stuck out in his mind at the time.
?So long flying around aimlessly and still nothing,? he groaned to himself. ?All those inventions and he didn?t even have a map in that bag of his??
As he continued to fly he took in the sights. At one point he could have sword that the rubble of Frakxuja?s fortress was beneath him, still embedded in the mountainside. He also saw a number of cities he had never even heard of, but exploring could wait until later. At that point he had another objective, one that was about to be interrupted. A loud noise alerted Valk to the presence of another, and instantly he turned around, only to see nothing.
?You won?t reach Olim Merkabah!? roared an inhumanly loud voice from beneath him. Valk swore under his breath as he looked down and instantly recognised both the voice and the sound of jets as Rod?s jet began to ascend slowly. ?Rod and the others will die on that island and I?ll unlock the powers of the Gears of Destiny. Spartzan can?t stop something he doesn?t know about!?
Without warning, still beneath Valk, the jet burst forwards at lightning speed. Valk turned to see the craft heading directly upwards with the nose vertical. He already had his cannon ready and was charging a shot for when it retuned. But it didn?t. Valk hovered cautiously without moving in the same area, constantly looking around. It had disappeared into the clouds above and was now nowhere to be seen, yet Valk had a strange sense that told him he would be back in any second. He was right.
?Boo!? roared King?s voice. From above, the vehicle came plunging vertically downwards showing no time of stopping out of safety reasons as it headed for Valk. With a gust of air provided by his wings he propelled himself backwards and out of the way, but the power of the object as it plummeted and the air rushing at it?s side knocked Valk off balance, causing him to spiral downwards along with it. With a simple correction of his direction he brought himself back to balance, but as he did so he realised that the King and the jet had vanished once again.
Ten seconds past, and then another twenty, and yet he didn?t reappear. All the while Valk didn?t move, only showing signs of life as he breathed and brushed his wings to keep him airborne. It was minutes until he finally decided to continue his flight path, but even as he did so he looked over his shoulder over short periods of times just to feel safer. After another thirty minutes or so he felt a strange rumbling in his left hand. With curiosity he looked down at whatever it was and saw that the small device that had been given to him by Rod was vibrating. Indeed, it was vibrating, but not bleeping. As he took a closer look, a voice, albeit a miserable one, leapt out at him.
?Have you arrived yet?? questioned the sombre voice of Rod from somewhere on the object. ?We?ve been sitting here for a while.?
?No,? Valk answered, curiously searching for where the sound could be coming from. ?King attacked me, and I don?t have a clue where I?m supposed to go. The sky isn?t the easiest place to navigate with exactitude.?
?Did you damage her?? Rod suddenly shouted angrily. ?Because if you have??
?The ship?s fine,? Valk sighed. ?But I won?t be if I get smashed into. There?ll also be a pretty gruesome stain on the front if that happens so could give me some help here??
?There?s no such thing as a map of the sky Valk. All I can say is that you need to head a little further to the north judging by what I can see on the tracker.?
?North?? Valk said as he looked around. As far as he could see there were only clouds and more clouds. On top of that, it was getting darker by the moment.
?Just head to the left of the direction you?re facing.? Rod replied. Before Valk could say anything back the vibration stopped, leaving him unable to communicate with anyone.
Without another word, Valk continued to fly in the direction he had been told for what could have been another two hours. Two hours of tiredness and darkness. All the while he didn?t usher a word, until he was taken by surprise by a sudden beeping in hand.
?About bloody time.? He said to himself as he stopped on the spot. It was then he realised that nothing had happened, no magma portal opening, nothing. His forehead wrinkled slightly as his face scrunched up in anger. Out of fury he took the device and threw it as far as he could ahead of him and in a sudden motion drew his cannon and fired a blast after it. Yet before it could hit the object it seemed to disappear into thin air and become a small purple circle that swirled in the air. The elemental shot collided with it, but seemed to fade inside it instantly with no visible effect. Out of curiosity, Valk glided ahead and looked at it for a moment. He had seen plenty of magic during his lifetime, but never an artificial object capable of forging it from nothing. Slowly he reached forwards, withdrawing his hand at first, but finally managing to place it inside. As he did so, he found that he could regret it. A burst of violet light expended from the centre and seemed to implode back into the circle. It had caused Valk too quickly retreat away, but as the light faded back in he saw that the circle itself was expanding, becoming larger and larger until it matched the size of the jet that had attacked him previously. Numerous symbols were rotating around the inside of the edge, slightly paler than the colour of the now whirlpool-like surface before Valk.
?Hands did it before, they can do it again,? Valk shrugged, making his way back over. Once he finally reached it once again, a familiar noise began to ring through his ears. ?Crap!?
From behind him the jet came roaring with King at the helm. Just in time, Valk managed to fly upwards and to safety, yet the craft seemed to avoid him completely and head directly through the portal he had just created. Everything had happened in a flash, and with a frown Valk descended again to give his Olim Merkabah entrance a third try. Without facing any defence of mechanism of any sort he passed through, and at once found himself in a magma portal being pushed by some sort of invisible force. Ahead of him was the jet, now moving at the same speed as him, or perhaps even slower. Valk didn?t have time to work anything of the sort out, because as the thought occurred to him the flaming molten rock around him faded away and in a flash he was in the hangar. Gently he touched down on his feet and ended with a roll. The same couldn?t be said for King as him and the jet crashed nose first into the hangar wall, bringing it to a halt in a pile of rubble and mechanical chaos.
?Rod won?t be too happy about that.? Valk said to himself as he made his way over, dodging the occasional falling rock and large spark from the now ruined jet. It seemed almost instant, but as Valk reached the front a large number or golden armoured soldiers entered the room, followed by a larger looking man in similar armour. For a moment Valk didn?t recognise him, but then he thought back. Back to when he was being held captive in the fortress before launching himself into Frakxuja?s island. A higher ranking officer had spoken to him, and here he was now.
?What?s happened here?? he sighed as he observed the wreck. The other soldiers were armed with spears and were advancing towards the front of the jet cautiously, where Valk was standing next to where the door was. The system that had made it invisible had clearly been damaged. ?Did you do this??
?I would be dead if I had done this!? Valk responded, walking casually over to the captain with an innocent smile. ?But I think King has been dealt with.?
?King? You mean he was responsible for this? That means we could be compromised already,? the captain replied with a tone of worry. ?Inspect the cockpit. Take care of King on sight if he?s in there. If not, tell me and I?ll report immediately to Lord Spartzan,? he continued before turning to Valk. ?And you? Haven?t I met you before??
?Can?t say you have,? Valk answered. ?But I have a message for Spartzan. An urgent one. Where can I find him??
?I can?t just tell you where he is, where?s the proof of your alliance with us? You could be a spy for all I know.?
As he said this, they both heard a small vibration coming from nearby. Valk looked around, and then down to the floor to see the portal device lying only a few feet away.
?Here?s you proof.? Valk sneered as he picked it up and shoved it into the captain?s grasp. As he did so, Rod?s voice burst into life.
?This is Rod Emzoft,? came his voice, surprising the captain greatly. ?I heard everything, and I give Valk my full authorization to enter the facility. Anyone who denies him entry to any area of Olim Merkabah will be demoted and banished upon our return.?
The message ended, leaving the high officer not only stunned, but worried about his position and his life. Banished members of Spartzan?s forces had a habit of not having a habit of turning up.
?Right ahead? Valk,? he said. ?Lord Spartzan is in the map room with Lord Garzavath. I?ll send a soldier with you as a guide.?
Valk nodded and turned to face the now flaming jet. As he did a foot soldier ran out and stopped in front of the captain.
?There?s nobody inside sir. If it was King, then he?s inside the base. What should we do??
?Nothing,? was the answer of the captain. ?I?ll go with Valk here and report this to Spartzan. Once the Lord gives me his orders, I shall relay them to you. Understood??
?Understood sir.?
The captain then turned to Valk and smiled apologetically as he outstretched his hand.
?Seems we got off on the wrong foot Valk. The name?s Seth,? he said with a smile. Under his golden helmet, Valk could see that he was quite a bit younger than himself. He also still carried the same spear as he had seen before, yet clipped at his waist was a similar weapon to Garzavath?s. It consisted of a steel pole attached to a chain with a spiked ball at the end, and swung loosely and dangerously as he walked. ?I can?t say I?ve heard of you around here before? Low rank??
?Elite actually,? Valk answered, with an element of pride. Being in the Order his entire life he had only reached Enforcer, but two days on Spartzan?s side had allowed him to scale greater heights. ?And I?m new. But besides that, shouldn?t we get to Spartzan. This message really is urgent.?
?Of course,? Seth said suddenly, turning to face the exit. ?Right this way, and be careful. If King is on the loose, then we?re all in danger. You have no idea what a pain in the crapper he is.?
Sig and avy by Jam Jar

Sotek Posted: 11:58 Jan12 2008 Post ID: 2075905
Sotek
+
Nice chapter. Seth must be the most cameo'd character on the site by now, I recon.

On the chapter itself, would they really trust Valk like that? He's the newest member of the team, and hasn't exactly proved his loyalty yet. Still, I guess they had no choice...

Also, I really want to see how Rod will react when he sees what's happened to his ship! Evil

Seeing as I now have three short stories posted, I figure I may as well put all of them in my bio, so go there for links to "The Lab", "Daemon" and "Afterlife". Additionally, you should read my fic, The Crystals of Narlkant
King of Hell Posted: 12:00 Jan12 2008 Post ID: 2075909
King of Hell
+
"At one point he could have sword that the rubble of Frakxuja?s fortress was beneath him, still embedded in the mountainside." Sworn, I think.

Great chapter, even though most of it was him flying around. It was rather entertaining, and I have a feeling that something really cool is going to happen soon. Just an odd feeling I get. Other than that typo, I didn't notice anything. Keep it upThumbs Up

Cataclysm Posted: 03:00 Jan13 2008 Post ID: 2077181
Cataclysm
+
Sotek: I realise that sometimes the behaviour of the characters can be a little unbelievable at times, and it annoys me just as much when I write it, but I have everything planned, so certain things have to happen. Due to the nature that this story will take later on, being precise with every event is also important.
Like you said, they had no choice in trusting him, and as clear as I tried to make it that Rod still didn't have faith in Valk, I guess I failed.
I also have a very special role planned for Rod.

KOH: Of course I meant sword. Have I ever made a typo by accident? Pfft...
I do have something that I would consider cool to happen soon. Whether you people agree or not is another matter entirely. Just wait and see.
Sig and avy by Jam Jar

King of Hell Posted: 11:22 Jan13 2008 Post ID: 2077544
King of Hell
+
Rather than seeming like he didn't have faith in Valk, it seemed more like he hated him with every part in his body because of the scratching and loss of his ship. Also, you made many typos by accidentEvil Remember this?

?Give me the young Spartzan rolled around on the floor, one hand still gripping the fragmented sword Spartzan,? he groaned painfully. ?I have to kill you myself.?

Sotek Posted: 11:32 Jan14 2008 Post ID: 2079171
Sotek
+
That wasn't this chapter, although it was abominable. Moar fic plz.

...Never let me type like that again, okay?

Cataclysm Posted: 10:31 Jan24 2008 Post ID: 2090266
Cataclysm
+
Your plz has gained a response. Take chapter and enjoy it!

Chapter 27: The Secret Of Olim Merkabah

Valk followed Seth casually through the halls of Olim Merkabah, yet kept his sword constantly at the ready. Seth seemed slightly more worried than him, as with every corner they turned he thrust forwards with his spear, shutting his eyes as he did so just in case King was there. After the seventh time of seeing this, Valk finally decided to speak up after tapping Seth on the shoulder and almost being impaled on one incredibly large spike that was then swung around at him.
?Calm down, he has everyone else in this place to deal with apart from us. I doubt we?ll be the ones he attacks first.?
?And what if he?s already killed half of everyone else here?? Seth responded with a worried tone. ?Then he?ll come for us. Just keep watch behind and we should be fine.?
?Fine, how far are we from the map room now??
?Not far,? Seth replied without looking around at Valk. ?In fact, it?s just down the next corridor.?
?One corridor left?? Valk sighed as he took his sword and activated his matter sword. ?Then the logic of bullcrap dictates that he?ll appear just before we arrive.?
Seth seemed to understand what he meant, and just as they arrived at the last corner he stopped and looked back at Valk.
?If I die here, and you manage to escape, tell my dog that I love him. He?s all I?ve got.?
?I?ll rip King?s eyes out for you, how does that sound?? Valk answered as he patted Seth on the back seeming to mock him. ?Now get moving.?
Valk pushed Seth forcefully, causing him to tumble to the floor. The moment he looked up he threw his spear ahead and unclipped his chained mace from his belt as he stood back up, yet the spear hit nothing. It simply soared through the air until it finally collided with the wooden door at the end that led into the map room.
?Nothing,? Seth sighed as he allowed his muscles to relax. ?You can come out of hiding now.?
Valk shook his head and walked past Seth as he made his way over to the door. As he arrived, he pulled the spear out of the wood and tossed it back to it?s rightful owner who caught it skilfully. Valk then continued to open he door, where he saw Garzavath leaning over the map table in the centre as he spoke to Spartzan.
?So if we begin the fusion now, we can harness-?
The Earth Lord was cut off as he saw Valk enter. Spartzan took his eyes off where Garzavath had been pointing on the map and looked over at Valk expectantly.
?You really shouldn?t throw things into the door, but no matter. You have returned sooner than I expected. Did you retrieve what you left for??
?No,? Valk replied, but Spartzan didn?t let him continue.
?And where is the rest my elite??
At that point, Seth ran into the room and bowed to Spartzan, then Garzavath, before suddenly blurting out his story.
?My Lord, King his infiltrated the fortress. As of yet we haven?t been able to pinpoint his position.?
?How did this happen?? Spartzan suddenly said sounding more than slightly worried as he stepped away from the wooden table and towards Valk and Seth.
?King got to the artefact before we did,? Valk explained casually. ?Before we could stop him, a man in black showed up and allowed him to escape with Rod?s craft. Rod sent me back with something that allowed me to enter the magma portals, but as I did so King entered through the portal I made and crashed the jet inside the base. Do you know anything about this??
Spartzan stayed silent for a moment, stroking his chin as he thought and stared blankly at the floor.
?No,? he finally said. ?I?m afraid I don?t. I?ll send out some men to retrieve the others from wherever it was they went. Amurios will be able to help them cross the sea.? He said out loud to nobody in particular before suddenly looking up at Seth. ?Lock down the entire fortress and call all men to their defence positions. I don?t want King to have any freedom, he may be after our research.?
Seth nodded and bowed once again before running out of the room. As he left, the three remaining could hear him shouting at some nearby soldiers already.
?And me?? Valk asked simply as he deactivated his matter sword and swung his sword over his shoulder.
?You need to come with me,? Spartzan answered as he made for the door. ?Garzavath, I?ll be back soon with your orders. For now, help Seth in any way you can.?
?Yes, my Lord,? Garzavath bowed as he also left the room silently with only the sound of his weapons and grieves clanging to be heard. Spartzan then turned back to Valk and grabbed his left hand.
?The mark is identical,? he said to himself. ?As I thought. You can open the door.?
?What door?? Valk interrupted. ?What aren?t you telling me??
?Just follow me and you will see.? Spartzan ordered as he also made to exit. ?Close the door behind you.?

Valk followed Spartzan throughout the base, who was much calmer than Seth and appeared to have forgotten completely that King was loose somewhere. Valk however didn?t feel as safe, even with the High Overlord of the world in front of him, and grasped the hilt of his sword much tighter than he had done before as they went up and down staircases, and passed through a number of guarded doors. Each one with more guards, more heavily armed each time. Valk wasn?t sure whether this was simply because Seth and Garzavath were tightening security, or if they were getting closer to something important. He didn?t bother asking, because soon enough they reached a long stairway leading downwards into darkness lit only by dim candles. Along the walls of the black area they had now entered were a number of symbols that seemed somewhat familiar. The change had been radical. One moment they had been inside an area. Grand and fit for royalty, but all of a sudden they had entered a dingy area with a simple pass through a door, and all was silent.
?Nearly there.? Spartzan said quietly. As they made their way downwards with seemingly no end to the wide set of steps. Neither of them could see but a couple of feet away from their face in any direction, so the steps could have been from three to a hundred metres wide. The walls were an unknown distance away now and no symbols or inscriptions could be seen. Finally he stopped for what appeared to be no reason, yet as Valk squinted and looked forwards, he could see that they had reached a dead end.
?Is there something I should know about here?? he asked. His voice seemed to echo endlessly, meaning they were in a large area.
?The wall in front of you is a door Valk, you can open it. You were from the Order after all.?
?And why do you want me to open it? Couldn?t you have just got anyone from the Order to do this??
?I did, but they couldn?t do anything with what?s inside. I believe you can.?
Out of pure curiosity, Valk reached forwards and placed his hand on a small handle protruding from the surface. As he leaned closer he could see a number of stone engravings that looked like people. Valk could have sworn that he had seen something similar before, but he didn?t have a chance to think as his mark touched the stone. As he did so, a number of screaming voices suddenly began to sear in his mind, ripping through his hearing and causing him to fall to the ground and shout in pain. Spartzan smiled and looked down at him until Valk finally stopped in surprise. The seemingly tortured screams were gone, and had left the moment he had taken his hand away from the handle. Standing up, he glared at Spartzan and allowed his sword to become slightly visible in his hand.
?What?s in there??
?You?ll see,? Spartzan said once again. ?Though this is strange. All the others simply had their hands burn, but you showed a different reaction. What happened??
?Voices,? Valk answered in a frustrated way. ?People dying, and pleading for help. I heard them. Thousands of them. Why don?t you make this easier for the both of us and tell me what I?m about to see??
?Like I said, you?ll have to open the door to see. Just hold on for a few seconds and pull down, that?s all it takes.?
Valk turned away from Spartzan and reached for the handle once again. Like before, the voices caused him incredible pain as he turned it around, his teeth grinding as he did so, feeling as if blood would begin leaking from his mind at any time. The burning was also there in his hand, but he barely noticed as the handle finally clicked and Valk let go, falling backwards once again but this time catching himself as he did and falling onto his hands.
?Well done Valk, now lead the way.? Spartzan said calmly. Before him, instead of opening normally, Valk could hear cogs turning from the other side. One by one, the stone was separating into small squares and withdrawing inwards like some sort of enormous mechanism of cubes. Somewhere far in the distance he could hear the same noise, as if the door was endless, yet as many panels that were withdrawn inwards, the engravings simply appeared to take new forms further away before beginning the process all over again. Spartzan seemed bored, yet Valk was amazed at the incredible technology before him as the wall seemed to fold inwards but by bit. Eventually it changed, and instead of going inwards the bottom began to rise upwards, all the while small cubes of stone clicking away as they disappeared into the surface above. Like a rising door, the room ahead slowly became visible from the bottom and vertically heading upwards. It was dark like the stairway, but in the distance was a silvery blue, ominous light emanating in perfect stillness. Valk didn?t look back at the High Overlord, for the voices were still there, yet seemed calmer, almost melodic. The winged warrior took one step forwards, only to hear a horrible crunching beneath his feet. Looking down he saw a human skull fragmented on the floor, and as he looked at the rest of the ground all he could see was a sea of bodies. Some were skeletons, others partly decomposed, and some newly dead.
?You brought me here to see dead people?? Valk asked as he took another step forwards.
?Of course not, keep going.? Spartzan urged from outside. Seeing Valk continue, he also made to enter, but as he also entered the room an invisible electric current threw him backwards and into the steps. Valk looked back upon hearing this and saw Spartzan standing back up slightly disgruntled. As he walked once again towards Valk he outstretched his hand, and once again met the invisible barrier. For a few moments he fought against the force blocking him, but was thrown back once again. At that time, Valk could have sworn that the voices in his head muttering some sort of enchantment, but he paid it no heed and shrugged at Spartzan who didn?t respond in any way. There appeared to be no line splitting them apart, but both could tell that something was blocking Spartzan from advancing into the room. The Overlord began to speak to Valk, yet no sound passed through, and all Valk could see was Spartzan moving his mouth and nothing more. Shrugging once again, Valk turned back to the aura in the distance against the pitch black and carried on until Spartzan was no longer visible behind him. The light was growing brighter as he drew closer, yet there didn?t seem to be anything causing it. It was just there, and there was nothing else but the endless amount of corpses lining the ground. The voices in his head remained calm, yet grew louder with each step until finally he entered what appeared to be the freakish light. There was no longer darkness, only light that surrounded Valk completely. Even with death still surrounding him, he didn?t feel alone. The voices had become clearer, and he recognised them. He finally realised what was causing the light. Ahead of him was a sheer vertical drop, and the aura was coming from below. Step by step he advanced until his feet were over the edge slightly and a small amount of stone fell to the amazing sight below.
Lined in rows were thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands, of bluish crystals, slightly taller than Valk in size and quite a bit wider. Inside each of them was a naked body frozen in a graceful position. The voices were obvious now. Each crystal contained an entrapped Varlerian. He had been the only one to have such a reaction to the handle because he was the only one that could hear the Varlerian song without a Soulstone. The blood inscriptions along Valk?s sword were now writhing like snakes and accumulating at the point, as if trying to pull Valk towards the sea of crystals. Opening his wings, he walked off the edge and allowed himself to hover slowly downwards until his feet touched the ground beneath. The floor was clear of bodies now, but just as rough. Yet the strangest was to come. The moment he touched the ground the voices stopped their song and became silent. Valk looked from one to another. The determined faces of the men and the beautiful faces of the woman each frozen in time, shut as if in a deep sleep. Without a word Valk carried onwards through the rows of Varlerians. He had thought them all dead, killed by Spartzan in the great war, but when he had been above them he had seen enough to be considered a plentiful race. Silence now dominated over the area, and eventually Valk stopped somewhere in the ocean of blue. Too many questions were rushing through his mind at the time, yet he didn?t have time to ask any of them.
?Are you Valk Kamazkasaythe?? came a voice from an unknown location.
?Yes,? he answered aloud. ?I am.?
?We sensed your presence days ago. Why have you come?? asked another voice. The first had been a woman, this time a woman had spoken. Both of them seemed to be at his side, yet he could tell their voices could have been miles away.
?Under Spartzan?s request. He said I needed to come here.?
?You work for that vile creature?? came another, this time somewhat angrier. ?A faithful member of the Order following that human blooded?s commands? Pathetic.?
?I do what I have to do to survive,? Valk said quietly. No matter how he spoke, they would all hear him. He knew that, so there was no need to shout. ?He said this would mean something to me. It doesn?t. Would you care to explain??
?You have killed a brother and a sister of ours and think you can come into our domain and ask questions? I cannot believe that you are the one the prophecy speaks of.?
?If I could answer you I would, but I don?t know what you mean by the prophecy. Apparently I?m supposed to free you all and then allow you to defeat Spartzan, but I don?t see why I should.?
He had grown used to different voices responding already, and wasn?t surprised as an older sounding tone come back to him seconds later.
?You saw what he did Valk Kamazkasaythe. We have shared our memories with you. He befouled our bloodline and was a project of impurity, just like his father. Weak human blood and noble Varlerian blood was never meant to mix. Such a creature as man would harness our abilities in such a way that would lead to destruction, just as your Spartzan has done.?
?You imprisoned yourselves for your own safety,? Valk answered. ?And you still haven?t answered my question. Why should I free you??
?We can give you answers.?
Valk stopped for a moment and shut his eyes as he threw his head back and exhaled deeply. That was he really wanted. To know what was so important about him. That, and freedom.
?Then answer this. Why me? Why do I have to free you??
?Because the prophecy states this.?
?But why??
?We are not sure. The one who predicted this was one of the first to die in our struggle against Spartzan, so even we do not know this. But we know much about you. You desire the power of the Gears of Destiny.?
Valk was surprised as the Varlerian voice said this, but he couldn?t deny the truth. Above all, he wanted to wield that mysterious power, whatever it was.
?Yes,? Valk muttered. ?What are they??
?The Gears are what allow one to control destiny. He who has that power may alter life as he or she may wish, as long as that person is strong enough to do so. A weak person would never be able to control such power and use it effectively. Not even we Varlerians can use this strength as our own. As of now, only one is capable, and that person is Spartzan.?
It took Valk a while to answer. However hard it was to believe, he had just been told that the Gears of Destiny would be able to give him almighty power. All he needed was strength, and Spartzan out of the way.
?How do the Gears work??
?The Gears allow one to control time itself. By travelling to one?s past destiny can be altered at will. But this would not make it?s user invincible in any way. To be killed in the past would prove just as deadly as a death in the present. This merely gives one the opportunity to prevent his or her own death, and change the future of others.?
?And how can I gain that power??
?By obtaining the keys. We know their locations for we are simply protectors of the Gears. That is our purpose in existence. One of these keys is in the treasure vault of the Order, the organization created by ourselves long ago to stop Spartzan. The other is currently in the ownership of one named King.?
?King?? Valk suddenly blurted out. ?He has a key to the Gears, and he?s in this very fortress.?
?No he is not,? answered another. ?He is heading for the Gears? location as we speak. He saw how you could pursue him as you were in flight, and used the vehicle crash to throw you off his trail. That is why he had to wait for you to open a magma portal instead of opening one himself; he had set it on a course and was never in the craft himself.?
?Damn,? Valk said under his breath angrily. ?It doesn?t matter. If I free you, then you?ll fight once again against Spartzan, right??
?That is correct.?
?And what about Spartzan?s father, Cyanite??
?Cyanite is not Spartzan?s father, Valk Kamazkasaythe. The man you speak of is wondering in search of you as we speak. If we meet Spartzan?s father, he shall die along with him.?
?I understand. I have no more questions. How do I free you??
?With your sword you may summon our souls from across the world and return them to us. Simply allow the energy of your blade to connect with each crystal to free us.?
Valk nodded and held out his sword at his side. The blood had returned to it?s normal position, yet the blade was resonating in colour with the surrounding. With a swift horizontal swing a black wave leapt from the edge of the sword and expanded in one direction, penetrating each and every crystal in front of Valk. He then turned around behind him and did the same. The sight was wondrous. Every crystal touched shattered into a thousand pieces before soaring mystically upwards and evaporating into a glitteringly soft rain that then fell slowly back down to the surface. All around Valk. Varlerians were collapsing to the ground and landing on their hands and knees. As he observed them, a grey haired Varlerian in front of him stood up and smirked.
?Valk Kamazkasaythe. We are the protectors of the Gears of Destiny. We could not possibly allow one as pitiful as yourself to gain control over such immense power. You have completed your part of the prophecy now. All that remains is to take care of you, then Spartzan, and then his father.?
?Deceitful bastards,? Valk said under his breath as he got into a fighting stance. ?I guess this works out in my favour though. If the Gears require a little more strength, then this won?t do me any harm.?
Sig and avy by Jam Jar

Sotek Posted: 12:53 Jan24 2008 Post ID: 2090356
Sotek
+
Curse you and your interesting plotline! I'll just have to try even harder!

Ahem. Nice chapter, surprising to notice that King wasn't in the base, good to know what the Gears do, awsome to have a fight between Valk and several hundred thousand Valerians.

I have a question, however. When Valk absorbs a Valerian's abilities, do they get added to whatever skills he may already have in that area. For example, if Valk can lift five hundres kilograms, and a Valerian can lift one hundred kilograms, and Valk kills the Valerian, can he now lift six hundred kilograms, as they were added together? Or can he still only lift five hundred because the new power isn't as good as the old one?

Cataclysm Posted: 01:23 Jan25 2008 Post ID: 2091171
Cataclysm
+
Yet again, my earlier explanations have failed to make any sense.

When Valk absorbs a Varlerian's power, his power should increase from lifting five hundred kilograms to six hundred, but, when his blood mixes with Varlerian blood, a portion of the power lost. The abilites gained then depend on the Varlerian. If it was a powerful one, then he should become quite a bit stronger. If not then you might not even notice the difference. The first one he killed gave him the big kick off, but as I just said, that is how things happen now.

However, if he manages to kill all of them now, I think his power will increase just a little bit anyway.
You will just have to wait and see.

*Throws a smoke grenade and disappears*
Sig and avy by Jam Jar

Sotek Posted: 08:46 Jan28 2008 Post ID: 2094493
Sotek
+
Your explenation still makes no sense. Just not as little sense as before. What do you mean by "when his blood mixes with Varlerian blood, a portion of the power lost."?

Also, bump.

Cataclysm Posted: 10:30 Jan28 2008 Post ID: 2094541
Cataclysm
+
I fail at this.

When the sword impales someone, and they effectively die, and the spell on it manages to steal the power they possess in the form of their blood. I tried to explain that by having the blood of his opponents form symbols along the blade but that seems to have made no sense. Anyway, the Varlerian bloodline is supposed to be surperior to the human bloodline, and when they mix, human blood supposedly degrades the power contained within the Varlerian blood.

Take note of that. It's important for the future of the fic's story.

EDIT: This is also a new chapter. Please tell me if I've gone too over the top here, and if I've left you utterly confused.

Chapter 28: The Experiment
In the distance, on what could be best described as the horizon, a wave of blue could be seen slowly fading as hundreds of Varlerians were freed every small moment, causing Valk?s chance of survival to decrease with each second as he watched more and more beings of incredible magical prowess return to life with the current intention of killing him.
Valk drew in one deep breath and looked around at those he was about to face, each one drawing nearer, an endless see of faces, each one looking directly at him with a petrifying glare. Nobody moved, as if they were each waiting for the other to go first.
?Make a move.? Valk ordered under his breath. Upon saying so, each and every Varlerian seemed to glow with a distinctive energy, and from the very particles in the air around them a set of armour began to form on each of them. Every set took the same shape, but were mostly coloured differently with a number of symbols that could be considered art on the surface. Each one wore a chest plate with gauntlets and grieves, spiked on the knuckles and feet to the point of slicing through the air itself. The right gauntlet was considerably larger with everyone, and in the palm there was a large jewel, each one with a strange mist inside, similar to the one in the key that King had stolen not long before. Nodding to himself and shutting his eyes the light from both ends of his elemental sword burst out and solidified. Without warning he span on the spot, leaning downwards with his regular sword and slashing at the ankles of the Varlerians in a perfect circle around him. As they fell he continued to spin around once again, this time slightly higher, allowing his sword to cut through the necks of many. With over eleven defeated din an instant, Valk felt an immense surge of power burn through him, creating an aura of black flame around his body as the power within him overflowed slightly, his body attempting desperately to contain such a sudden increase. Unable to move, his opponents took advantage of this and from the hands of many around him leapt a sudden stream of elemental energy, ranging from black lightning to white hot flame, all connecting at the same time, striking numerous positions. On contact Valk seemed to arch slightly backwards with both arms outstretched to the side as if reaching for something to hold onto. Constant jets of elemental strikes impaling him like blades for moments before being replaced by another that came from another direction. All the while, Valk roared in pain as he tried hopelessly to hold onto his weapons. The aura around him was now varying in colour, flowing around him like a gentle, transparent fog that wouldn?t be seen if it wasn?t for the fact that the colours within were changing every few seconds in a fading manner. As one after another struck belted into Valk, he lost his grasp on his weapons and they fell to the ground. Now armless, he painfully turned his head from left to right, observing those around him as they effortlessly launched magical streams at him. His vision was also changing colour and numerous spiralling beams also struck him in the face every now and then, yet even as they did so he didn?t fall. It was then he suddenly felt himself empower, as if his body and mind had managed to suppress the power he had gained, and out of pure instinct he crossed his arms over his chest and threw them outwards violently.
The ground shook horribly as a sphere of white flame burned around him incinerating all those who came in contact with it, leaving Valk invisible behind the slowly expanding shell of destructive force. As if made of glass it gradually began to shatter, rays of light emerging from each crevice of multiple colours, equal to the ones that had been thrown at him seconds earlier. The Varlerian race around him cautiously backed away as those caught in the growing sphere were disintegrated, shielding their eyes from the awesome light. From behind a barrage of shadow like magical spirals came launching over the heads of those in the frontline in the circle around Valk and collided with the divine, sun-like orb. With each attack that hit, it appeared to crack more, with more and more rays leaping from inside. In an instant, the lights withdrew inside the damaged sphere, and for a moment there was complete silence save for the uncomfortable movements of the Varlerians within a close vicinity of Valk and his strange shield. Seconds later, a noise similar to a thousand conjoined screams rushed through the ears of all as in an incredible explosion the shell detonated, releasing a storm of elemental flame and energy that consumed all within a wide radius of the area. Fire of many colours rushed at horrific speed, joined with magical electricity that seemed to flow through it, shredding through the Varlerian race like napalm and ripping the very skin from their bodies. Some had brought up shields for themselves and were crouched inside shells of their own, attempting with every last bit of their strength to hold up their defences as their allies around them were killed one by one, eventually giving in to the incomparable power surging around them and allowing death to take their lives. Those who managed to hold up their magical fortress of transparent energy saw a figure somewhere ahead that seemed distant, yet the silhouette was clear against the raging hurricane of elements that blocked out all view of the area around them. Smoke seemed to be emanating from the figure as the flames engulfed him like all of the rest, yet also had no effect.
Valk looked around at the scene of death around him. How he had managed to pull something like that off he wasn?t sure, yet he felt no more pain, even as a lick of fire or pure energy ran over his arm. Confused, he bent down and picked up his blood engraved sword, feeling the weight of the power it contained run through his veins. The elemental blade lay in ruins at his feet, barely visible next to the destroyed cannon that he had previously wielded, yet those crumbling beneath his unbelievable summoning were crystal clear. Not knowing why, he threw his arms upwards in an ark form, and the storm around him stopped as if under his command. As he allowed his arms to fall, the elements around his appeared to react, and as his hands fell against his side once again, his sword still grasped tightly, they rushed more violently than ever, yet now headed towards him. Instead of damaging him, they simply ran into skin and seemed to disappear within, as an explosion implodes. Within moments the energy was gone, yet Valk was glowing fiercely. The silent blackness of the room had returned, and though not many could be seen, Valk could tell that in the distance there were still many Varlerians watching him.
?Bravo,? came a proud sounding voice from above Valk. He immediately looked up to where he had glided down from before to see Spartzan standing on the edge, clapping slowly. ?I didn?t count on it happening in such a spectacular way, but you managed to prove my experiment a success.?
?What experiment?? Valk tried to shout. He suddenly felt incredibly tired. His body was still smoking and his armour was cracked in a number of places. His clothes were ripped to shreds and a number of new scars had appeared all over his arms and face. As quiet as he had spoken, it seemed Spartzan had heard him.
?I wanted to see what happens when pure human blood is mixed with Varlerian blood to an extent that the power given is too high to contain. Of course, you were the only one I could try something like this one without finding every Varlerian Soulstone available and then finding someone capable of opening the entrance who was powerful enough to kill a number of Varlerians. You fit the job perfectly. Though I do wonder where you got that sword from. It seems somewhat familiar.?
?You used me for this? What for?? Valk spat back.
?I rule this word, Valk.? Spartzan responded simply. ?Yet, as much as I try my ambitions cannot be realised. Humans are quite plainly too weak to serve under me. Varlerians on the other hand, are too strong when in numbers. I need to create a new race: One with enough strength to comply with my orders, and not fail, yet not powerful enough to rise up against me. I know a lot about you Valk, about the abilities your weapon possesses, and the fact that you would release the Varlerians here if it meant you can get closer to the Gears. Unfortunately, that is for me to do.?
?Once I get up there I?m going to make sure you leave this room without a head, because I?ll carry your corpse out of here and burn it before every one of your followers!? Valk shouted back with as much strength as he could muster. Upon doing so, he fell to his knees and began to support himself by placing both hands on the floor in front of him.
?I don?t think you will even be able to reach me,? Spartzan taunted. ?How do you plan on making it up here??
Valk looked up at the Overlord, and then over his shoulder. He hadn?t noticed before, but his wings had been reduced to nothing. Not one angelic feather remained. All that emerged from his back now were mere skeletons of wings. Ugly, bony forms dark grey in colour flowing gently backwards and forwards.
?I?ll find a way,? he hissed as he sighed and spat on the ground. Blood jumped from his lips and splattered onto the floor. He was weak, and wouldn?t stand a chance against Spartzan. ?I guarantee that.?
?I don?t think you even want to kill me Valk,? Spartzan then said as he looked down at the injured warrior. ?I?ve given you the only thing you wanted from the beginning. Power. That?s what you have now. Besides, you are my first successful creation. Why would I want you against me. You power, when harnessed of course, surpasses the strength of any of my Lords. I want you on my side, to rule with me as my right hand man.?
Valk continued to breathe deeply without responding. The door to the Gears was open once again. If he could form a coalition with Spartzan he would be safe, until his power was high enough to defeat his ally and take anything he may possess for himself.
Painfully, he looked up at Spartzan and nodded.
?I?ll join you, again.?
?Perfect,? Spartzan smiled, before looking to either side. ?But in case you haven?t noticed, you still have something to deal with.?
Valk did so and shut his eyes in frustration. He had forgotten that there were still Varlerians there. They had been further away than he had thought, yet their running was beginning to make the ground tremble. Yet again he took his sword, and leaning on it he forced himself to stand. Once he did, Spartzan let his spot above and jumped. With skill, he landed on his hands and feet before standing upright, slightly taller than Valk and placing his hand on his shoulder.
?Why is my sword familiar to you?? Valk asked as the Varlerians began to draw closer.
?My father had one that was similar. It possessed the same abilities as your?s. He gave it to me as a child, yet not so long ago he appeared, even though I had thought him dead. He took it back from my very hands and told me there were things he needed to do. Of all the people in the world, he is the only one with enough power to defeat me. Don?t tell anyone, it would ruin my reputation.?
Valk nodded once again. As soon as Spartzan?s hand left his shoulder he felt energetic once again, and his wounds were beginning to seal. Despite this, his wings were still in ruin, and slowly beginning to erode and crumble apart. He wasn?t sure why Spartzan was acting so kind to him all of a sudden, but he was still alive, and that was the most important thing. Whether he had plans for him would come later.
As the Varlerians finally reached the pair, Spartzan leapt a great height into the air and began to twirl gracefully. From his palms leapt streams of shadow, similar to some of those that had struck Valk yet much more destructive. Like a vertical wheel of chaos, Spartzan span sideways, his dark spell ripping through opponents beneath him with ease. Valk looked away and lunged forwards at a Varlerian before him and pierced the female through the stomach before kicking her away. Two more men ran at him from behind, yet Valk roundhouse kicked backwards just in time. A horrible crunch could be heard as their necks snapped and he returned to his original position. He then ran forwards to the impaled woman who was now grasping the wound in her stomach and trying to pull the sword free. Valk did the honours and pulled it out forcefully before swinging it directly through the top of her skull. As she fell he jumped into the air above the heads of the Varlerians and for the brief moment he was airborne he formed a sphere of burning red energy in his free hand. At the summit of his leap, he allowed it to slip from his grasp, and as he touched the ground it detonated in a cyclone of death, before disappearing as soon as it had appeared.
As Spartzan also placed his feet back on the earth below he ducked under a magically imbued punch thrown at him before delivering a punch of his own to his attacker. His fist was placed into the chest of the Varlerian, going right through and crushing the jewel encrusted heart inside. As he withdrew his blood stained arm he held out his right arm to one side. From the centre of his palm a light blue blade emerged. With his other arm he fired constant beams or light effortlessly in the direction of any that came near: Beams of light that pierced the hearts or heads of those who were unlucky to get in the way with searing heat before continuing to kill those who were behind. As the magical blade summoning ended, Spartzan grasped the hilt and span around on the spot. Letting go of his weapon, a chain of the same colour also flew from his hand, wrapped around the hilt and bound to his arm. As he span, the chain as well as the blade cut through all those in the way. Moving away from Valk but by bit, Spartzan continued to spin, using his magically formed chain blade with such skill that it became a blur of blue light around him as the death toll of Varlerians killed soared high above the amount that Valk had reached since beginning to fight together.
Valk continued to slash wildly in front of himself, cutting open the gut of many and decapitating the rest. His attacks were controlled, and acted as defensive as they were offensive, yet appeared to be the effects of an angry boy having a tantrum. Even as Valk was attacked from behind, he rapidly stabbed backwards and impaled any opponent within range. With each kill he could feel his power increasing significantly, yet the ocean of Varlerians emerging in the distance never seemed to end. As he let his guard down for a moment to see how many remained, a column of black energy came roaring towards him. In the nick of time he leaned to the side, but the beam struck what remained of his left wing and demolished it completely. In response, Valk held out his own hand and from it fired a vertical, arched wave of shadow that cut through a number of flailing limbs before reaching the target and splicing him apart in a direct line through the centre. As both sides of the now dead Varlerian fell apart, Valk felt a deep cut gash into his back. Turning around, he saw that Spartzan had drawn dangerously close and had already caught him once. The chain blade came around once again, this time low, and Valk just managed to avoid it my jumping and lifting up both legs. He was lucky, for just as he fell back to the ground the weapon came rushing back around where his neck had been. Distracted for a moment, a Varlerian fired sphere of flame struck him in the back and knocked him tumbling forwards. Valk grumbled in pain and using his sword to balance his weight tried to heave himself back up once again, yet as he did so the pointed foot of a Varlerian grieve came thundering into the side of his lungs, piercing through and winding him heavily. He immediately rolled onto his side and allowed a series of bolts of electricity to fry his injurer?s face, but he found breathing difficult, and blood was flowing from his side uncontrollably.
?Crap!? he said to himself as the chain blade once again rushed past his face as he lay there. Shouting out, he caught Spartzan?s attention, who the proceeded by withdrawing the chain back into him and holding the sword alone in his hands. He cut himself a path easily towards Valk as slicing branches out of the way in a jungle until he arrived and shook his head.
?I expected more. But what else could I want from a pure human??
With no effort, he picked up Valk around the mid-section with one arm and hoisted him over his shoulder. Still defending himself with his armed side, he leaned backwards and through Valk upwards. As if flying, Valk tumbled through the air until he saw that h was level with the cliff above, and then higher. Then gravity kicked in, and Valk was brought crashing down onto the ground, hurt, yet now safe from the Varlerians. As he let go of his sword he rolled onto his back, only to see Spartzan now standing over him.
?You almost killed me!? Valk said quietly to Spartzan as he held his wound. ?Why doesn?t this heal up like my other injuries??
?I saved you. And Varlerian attacks, when properly concentrated, remain despite the abilities you possess. Of course I can heal something so simple, but you haven?t reached my level, yet.?
Spartzan then bent down and allowed a soft white energy to pour into all major gashes on Valk?s body. Moments afterwards he felt capable to stand and did so, picking his weapon back up in the process.
?What do you mean yet??
?Each of my Lords had a project they researched. Frakxuja was researching the Gears, as you know. Amurios has found the deepest crevice in the sea, and using that has been tunnelling to the core. I plan on using the energy found there for myself. Garzavath has been out finding powerful warriors. You were my prototype in Garzavath?s project. By mixing the blood of a human with that of a Varlerian on a high scale, a very powerful being can be created indeed. There is a difference between pure Varlerians and those of mixed blood. Varlerians are born with a limit to their power. Those created such as you have been have no limits, like myself. You?re the third person to exist in our new race, Valk. You?re like a son to me.?
Valk looked at thee ground and frowned. Had all that had happened been planned by Spartzan, or his father? Whereas Spartzan claimed to have created him as the warrior he is, his father had also claimed to have his very destiny entwined with his own.
?Is there something I should know about you and your father?? Valk asked without taking his eyes off the ground. He was too deep in thought.
?Well, there is perhaps one thing you should know,? Spartzan replied. ?He already has control over the Gears, I suspect. Long ago, when I was a child, when he gave me my first weapon, he was killed by the Varlerians for having mixed blood. They attempted to take my life for the same reason, but I escaped, and using my father?s sword started the war against their foul race. How he has managed to appear again is unknown to me. I had thought him dead, yet he visited me, like I told you before. He also spoke about you, Valk. He told me that one would come and destroy one of my Lords. One that would then join me. I laughed at first, but he was right. Frakxuja fell, so I sent Garzavath to see how strong you really were. To see if what my father said was correct, I employed you, for you see, he told of a prophecy about you. That you would free the Varlerian race and lead them against me.?
?How do you know about the prophecy?? Valk suddenly snapped. ?Tell me about it. How did your father know??
?He made it, Valk. He tried to kill me as a child. I don?t know why, but he always spoke to my mother about?. I?ve gone on for too long.?
Spartzan immediately turned away, his cloak billowing behind him. He didn?t say another word. He simply made his way through the black room. Valk followed on silently. He feared that things could go much deeper than he had thought. Somehow, Spartzan?s father held some sort of connection with him, but Valk just couldn?t put his finger on it. Things had become far too confusing to tell.

« Last edited by Cataclysm on Jan 28th 2008 »
Sig and avy by Jam Jar

Sotek Posted: 11:58 Feb03 2008 Post ID: 2102895
Sotek
+
I figure I ought to comment about now...

Spartzan fights awsomely. Also, Valk should be attaining god-like powers by the end of the fic.

Also also, I think there should be a massive battle between Spartzan and his father, with Valk stepping in at the last second to steal the kill with his sword, and then killing whoever was still alive. Then he would be coolness incarnate.

I's a pity Valk had to lose his wings though. They were great. Maybe he can make some more with magic?

King of Hell Posted: 13:06 Feb03 2008 Post ID: 2103071
King of Hell
+
"As one after another struck belted into Valk, he lost his grasp on his weapons and they fell to the ground. Now armless, he painfully turned his head from left to right, observing those around him as they effortlessly launched magical streams at him." Either strike, or get rid of belted. Either one.

Epic chapters, both of them. Can't decide which one was better. Spartzan is awesome, and Valk is indeed becoming a god. Can't wait for the rest, and sorry about the lack of reviews... Exams are bas[i][/i]tardly.

Cataclysm Posted: 12:49 Feb05 2008 Post ID: 2106374
Cataclysm
+
This chapter is shorter than others, and doesn't include a fight. You have been warned. All fics need chapters like this to carry the story along.
Oh, and on a side note, There won't be any new chapters until next Thursday earliest. Reasons in Staff Forum.

Chapter 29: Plans are Made

Valk followed Spartzan without making a single comment as he made his way through the body strewn darkness. Spartzan was also silent, and was leading the way through the pitch black wall of horrid stench as if he knew that way like the back of his hand.
?So many questions had been answered, yet new ones had arisen in their place. Why would Spartzan?s father show up after so long of being thought dead, only to steal a sword from his son and disappear once again? Why would he entwine his life so highly with the destiny of Valk himself? Was it possible that he already held the power of the Gears in the rotting flesh of his hand? Valk appeared to be in a trance of thought as he followed Spartzan without a second thought.
Occasionally the ground beneath them shook, presumably the result of the Varlerians behind them making a furious effort to hurt them in some way. War cries behind the two of them began to decrease in intensity as they made their way further and further away. Eventually, Valk felt the surface beneath his feet change from the crushed organs and bones of the dead to simple concrete. Coming back to the real world, he realised that they had reached the infinitely wide stairs leading back up to the ground levels of Olim Merkabah.
?I shall explain a little more to you later,? Spartzan said quietly as he continued to pace up the stairs, as if reading Valk?s thoughts. ?If you are to help me with my plans, then you must be informed to a higher level. I can trust you, of course??
?Of course,? Valk responded with a nod. ?I have no reason to betray you.?
?That?s what I thought.? the High Overlord continued, before becoming silent once again, and staying that way until they reached the top of the stairs.
?Where exactly are we going now?? Valk asked, tired of being taken everywhere without knowing what was waiting for him.
?To search for King, and to kill him before he can cause any damage.?
Valk opened his mouth to tell Spartzan what the Varlerians had told him. That King had crashed the jet into the base simply to throw them off his tail, but decided to keep his mouth shut as the plan began to play out before him. If he could convince Spartzan to allow him to leave Olim Merkabah then he would be able to hunt down King himself and take the first key to the Gears for himself. He would then be able allow Spartzan to find the other for him. Without anyone knowing that he was in possession of the first key, there was a chance that he could harness the power of the Gears in secret. With such strength, he would have the capabilities to overthrow Spartzan and place himself as the High Overlord. Things were finally going his way.
At that moment, from around a corner as they passed through a doorway and entered a long hall lined with candles, Seth came running, his armour clinking with each movement horribly. He was fully armed, with both his spear and Morningstar prepared for combat, and behind him was a set of five soldiers armed with swords and shields.
?My Lord,? he panted as he reached Spartzan. ?Permission to bring bad news??
?Permission granted, what is it??
?We haven?t been able to find King anywhere. We fear he may have escaped, perhaps with the key to the Gears that we already had? We cannot find it anywhere in the research area.?
?What?? Valk suddenly shouted out angrily. ?What do you mean he could already have the key??
Spartzan raised one eyebrow and looked over at Spartzan curiously. He began to scratch his chin slightly as both Seth and Valk waited for a response.
?Why does that matter to you so much, Valk?? he asked with a puzzled expression. ?From what we know, there is more than one key to the Gears??
Valk couldn?t explain why. If he did say that King hadn?t even been in the fortress, then he would never be able to hunt him alone. Moments later, he came up with the solution, which was the partial truth.
?King already has the other key. The object he stole from us in the ruins was one of the artefacts to be used to activate the Gears. With both of them he could wield the power himself.?
?What should we do my Lord?? Seth said worriedly as he turned to Spartzan.
?Make sure nobody leaves. I want guard levels doubled, with anyone not in our army on high alert, Make sure King isn?t in the area.? Spartzan ordered, and with a motion of his hand told Seth to leave.
?Yes sir.? Seth replied with a quick bow before running off once again. Spartzan then turned to face Valk, glaring at him as if searching for something in his eyes.
?How do you know that there is another key, and what makes you think that King carries it on his person??
?The Varlerians told me before I released them,? Valk answered simply. ?But they also said that they didn?t know where the other key was. How could it be in this very building??
?My power knows no limits,? Spartzan responded with a small smirk, before once again becoming serious. ?I had placed an enchantment on it to keep it hidden from any outside senses. How King knew it was there, I do not know.?
Valk stood on the spot, puzzled. How could King have taken the second key without even entering the building? It made no sense whatsoever. As fast as he travelled, he knew from Arch that he couldn?t teleport through walls, so he would have to appear at some point, not only to open doors, but also to pick the key itself up.
?What about the others on the island?? Valk suddenly asked as if trying to forget the previous topic. ?Shouldn?t they know about this??
?Indeed they should. They should also be back by now. Come.? Spartzan contested, beckoning for Valk to continue following him. With a sigh from once again being led around blindly, Valk nodded and stayed behind Spartzan as the High Overlord pushed open the next door and began the journey back to the higher levels.

After a minimum of thirty-five doors, Spartzan finally pushed open one more, leading into a large, grandiose room full of plush seating area. Works of art lined the candle decorated walls, which seemed to emit a sort of light that could only be found in elemental stones. Lying in fatigue on one seating area was Korven, with his arm across his forehead soaking up an inhuman amount of sweat. On another were Arch and Juneva chatting quietly amongst one another. Rod on the other hand, was nowhere to be seen. The three immediately stood up and bowed as Spartzan entered the room, before straightening themselves up once again, and remaining silent.
?It?s nice to see that there were no real casualties,? Spartzan admitted with a nod. ?You can all sit down now. Where is Rod??
?He?s mourning the death of his loved one,? Juneva answered with a small chuckle. ?In the hangar. From the state he was in when we returned, I think he could be descending into madness.?
?We need him here,? Spartzan said a moment later, before calling over to a soldier who stood in the corner of the room, guarding another door. ?You. Go to the hangar and get Rod here on my orders. I also want Garzavath and Amurios here, no matter where they are.?
The soldier nodded, and like Seth, bowed, before running out of the door. Valk then came out from behind Spartzan and made his way over to the other three.
?Thank you,? Juneva said, her face beaming with gratitude. ?Without you we never would have got back.?
?It, was nothing.? Valk replied slowly. These people seemed to respect him so much, and in so little time they had began to do so. The thought of having to betray them for his own power gain stung him slightly, but it would all be worth it in the end.
?She?s right you know?? Arch then spoke up. ?Though I hate to admit it, we owe a lot to you already. I don?t think Rod feels as grateful though.?
?He?s in a right state,? Korven laughed, slamming his enormous palm down onto Valk?s shoulder. ?One thing though, where did your wings go??
?Yes, where are they?? Arch questioned as Juneva let go of Valk?s neck and stepped back to see. Looking back at Spartzan, Valk caught a quick glare and understood the message immediately. It seemed nobody but him and those killed below, and perhaps the two remaining lords knew of the Varlerians trapped within the fortress.
?They were destroyed in the crash. I tried my best to stop King, but no luck.?
?Painful?? Korven winced as he looked over Valk?s shoulder at the two bloody stumps emerging from his back.
?You have no idea.?
Valk sat down and rested his head against the softness of the seating area. He had to admit that since working with Spartzan conditions had improved greatly. It almost felt wrong that he had thought of Spartzan as the evil side of the story for almost his whole life. It also seemed strange to him that he had been able to change his opinion in such short time. Juneva, Arch and Korven were all speaking around him once again, yet he simply sat there with his hands behind his head thinking. Even through his own eyes, he could see that there was a chance he was becoming what many would consider the ?bad guy.?
?What is it?? came the grumbling voice of Rod from the doorway. His eyes were red, and flaring with rage in Valk?s direction. As soon as he saw Valk calmly sitting down, his fury ignited. ?How could you let that happen? Why didn?t you stop him? You could have got in the way, or closed the portal. Anything??
?Calm down Rod,? Spartzan hissed, raising his hand towards the inventor. Rod immediately shut his mouth, but continued to stare viciously at Valk. ?Sit down with the others and wait. Lord Garzavath and Lord Amurios will arrive soon.?
Rod did so, and sat down next to Korven with his arms crossed furiously. His bag was still slung over his right shoulder, and from a hole in the top was a large cannon, the barrel emerging somewhat menacingly. Valk continued to look him in they eye coolly, before standing up and stretching. It seemed only seconds later that both of the Lords entered the room, one moments after the other.
Amurios was young. Younger than Valk in fact, with the cocky aura of a teenager around him. He looked as if he was in his early twenties, but also gave of the appearance of an experienced warrior. A number of deep scars littered his face, hiding his features, and making him seem much more worn out by battles than Valk. His eyes were light blue, extremely light, as if the ocean itself resided within them, and were darting across the room, observing each person there with incredible speed. For a moment, they rested on Valk, before flicking back to Spartzan. One eye was obscured by an unbelievable amount of hair that reached as far as his knees and was white in colour, perfectly straight and flowing gracefully backwards as in suspended in water. He also wore no protection at all. Merely a silver robe coat that reached his feet in length and was flapped as he walked into the room, open to the bottom. Beneath this was his bare chest, muscular and just as scarred as his what would be handsome face. On his legs was a pair of almost jet black trousers, similar to what Rod wore but somewhat tighter, as if worn only to cover up and made for flexible movements.
?We?re here, my Lord,? Garzavath said, flexing his arms as if they were in constant pain. From Valk?s point of view there was a chance that they were, as with each movements the veins running through his body seemed to be at burst point. Yet he spoke normally, and didn?t seem to be in any agony, so he cast of the thought and simply listened. ?What is so urgent??
?We have reason to believe that King has obtained both keys to the Gears,? Spartzan began. Simply from saying this, a number of people gasped or reacted in some way. Amurios merely stood on the spot, watching Spartzan?s eyes constantly. ?We are not sure whether he knows the position of the Gears, but that matters not. We must be prepared. Garzavath, I need you to begin the fusion process immediately. Meet be in the lower chamber. They are ready to begin.?
A number of people looked at one another in confusion, but none dared question the intentions of the great Spartzan. Finally Korven stepped forwards and opened up his arms widely.
?And what about us? We can?t just sit around here waiting for King to obtain ultimate power can we??
?Of course not,? Spartzan replied. ?I believe that he may have already escaped Olim Merkabah, so I will be sending two teams out to hunt him down. One of these however, will return to the ruins of our research facility, where Frakxuja once called home, and there see if we can determine the location of the Gears themselves. I have reason to believe that Frakxuja and his researchers had found out where their exact position on the map, but he met an unfortunate end before we could be told. The other team will pursue King and kill him no matter what. He has caused us far too many problems.?
?And what will these teams be composed of?? Arch then asked. Already the entire group was intrigued. All except Valk, who already knew that his plans were crumbling apart before they had even begun.
?The investigation team will include Valk, Juneva, and Amurios,? Spartzan began. ?Amurios, you shall leave your project for now and accompany them. You understand??
Amurios nodded, but as he did so Arch interrupted.
?Only those three are on the investigation team?? he blurted out with a slight tone of anger. ?That means that I?m on the tracking team, also meaning that me and Juneva will be separated. Isn?t there any way that we can??
?No, Arch, I?m afraid not. I can?t let personal feelings become involved at such a serious stage.? Spartzan interrupted. ?If you really want to see her again then make sure your mission is a success. I?m sure she will do the same.?
?I will,? Juneva interjected with a serious nod. ?But what if we don?t recover any information??
?Then you join up with the tracking team and make sure King doesn?t find the Gears first. Any questions??
Nobody raised any doubts. Their missions were clear. Without another word Valk began to march for the door, only to be stopped by a hand that was placed on his shoulder.
?I hope you can live up to expectations,? came the voice of Amurios. It was surprisingly deeper than what Valk had expected, yet sounded incredibly cruel, spiteful in a way, yet graceful at the same time, rife with what reminded Valk of the tone of a spiritually tortured poet. ?I?ve been looking forward to meeting you. Although I have been preoccupied with other matters. Know this though, I do not trust you.?
?Neither did Arch, and I?m the one who got him back here.? Valk replied, taking Amurios? hand off his shoulder and looking him for a m moment in the eyes before storming out.
?You leave now,? Spartzan called after him. ?There is an inn near the ruins of the floating citadel. Rest there.?
There was no answer, but that was simply because Valk was already making his way towards the armoury where he would find himself a new weapon.
Sig and avy by Jam Jar

Sotek Posted: 13:24 Feb09 2008 Post ID: 2112931
Sotek
+
What, no fight?

Okay, pretty nice chapter. I like the way that Rod reacts when he meets Valk again, and also the sheer number of doors in Spartzan's fortress. As you said, uneventful, but does lead up to the next section of the story very well. Keep it up!

EDIT: I hate Caps Lock.

« Last edited by Sotek on Feb 9th 2008 »

Cataclysm Posted: 12:44 Feb18 2008 Post ID: 2127035
Cataclysm
+
Warning: I have tried to write here, not an emotional scene, but a, "share feelings" sort of scene. I don't know how I've pulled it off, or how I'm managed to make Valk's personality adapt to this, so all comments are welcome.

Chapter 30: The Void

Valk pushed open the grand doors of Olim Merkabah, light spilling in through the growing gap as both of the doors separated. They were immensely large, towering high above any human being or beast of grand kind. Golden jewels and other valuable stones littered its surface, forming symbols both wide and tall in size.
?Are these just for decoration?? Valk asked curiously, his questioning aimed at nobody in particular of the five others behind him. Korven was standing at his side, eager to leave. Both Juneva and Arch were speaking quietly, probably making their final farewells. Rod and Amurios were leaning silently against both sides of the incredible passage, looking at the ground. Rod, out of pure sadness. Amurios, out of shame of having to travel with such a lowly group of warriors.
?They form a barrier of protection,? Amurios grumbled, catching Valk?s attention as both doors continued to open by themselves. ?Anyone not wanted is immediately struck down upon coming close.?
?And how do the rocks know who is wanted and who isn?t?? Valk continued to question as he waited for them to open fully. Already outside could be seen. The surrounding area was green, lush with swaying grass in the light breeze that was beginning to enter the fortress and deliver an enchanting scent.
?The base lives just as much as any human being,? Amurios replied as he stood up straight and began to head for the exit. ?Lord Spartzan?s enchantments reach beyond our understanding, yet there is more to this place than you may think.?
Valk nodded. Amurios had been right, he didn?t understand some things that Spartzan was doing, and as much as he wanted to, it wasn?t his place to know, meaning he would have to sit tight. At least he was obtaining profits from his service though.
Now at his waist a new weapon had replaced his katana. Spartzan had been kind enough to allow him to return to the armoury, where he had spent no time in choosing a new set of arms. His new sword was a katana of sorts. Clipped at his side was only a hilt, with a blue stone set at either end. He had almost fallen in love with it upon trying it for the first time. As he concentrated energy into the weapon, silver and blue electricity had leapt from wither end and had soon solidified, forming a beautifully sleek double ended blade, curved slightly and sharpened to the point of invisibility. After feeling how light a weapon it was he had chosen it immediately and was prepared for his second mission as a follower as Spartzan, but that hadn?t been the end. Spartzan had presented him with another weapon. Inside a small cupboard had been a jewel, sitting alone yet locked away safely by both locks and barriers. Valk still wasn?t sure what the stone could do, seeing as the High Overlord had forbidden him from using it before leaving, but he was eager to try it out.

?Couldn?t we have been given something a little faster?? Rod groaned as he stepped outside, followed by the others. As the doors slammed behind them, Valk turned around to get a look at Olim Merkabah from outside for the first time, but stopped and raised one eyebrow first. The echoing noise of the doors was still there, yet behind him there was now nothing but an empty field continuing into the distance.
?This is one of them,? Amurios continued to explain as he observed Valk?s look of surprise, before turning to Rod. Before them were six horses, all black and made of nothing but muscle. All except one, which was slightly larger and pure white. Amurios immediately headed for the latter and heaved himself up, whilst the others simply looked at their mounts. ?I admit, horseback may seem primitive to you Rod, but as a matter of fact, we in the outside world still use these magnificent beasts as transport. Now, mount one of them and we?ll be on our way.?
Valk watched as the others clambered up onto the back of each horse before making his way over to the last. He had experience on riding horse, but always in a controlled manner within the Order?s underground areas. Most of his experience came from simple boredom and visits to the stables were numerous animals were kept. There he would often either slaughter a random creature to have a little more meat than the given rations at home, or take one into the arena and ride for a while. Casually heaving himself up, he sighed and breathed in the fresh air. The lack of oxygen in the clouds had made things not so comfortable, but finally outside and on the ground he realised what a gift clean, and pure air was.
?Here?s where we split up,? Amurios continued. ?Valk, Juneva and I will head to the North. That is where the ruins are located. Korven, Arch and Rod will head to the West.?
?Why the West?? Korven interrupted as he struggled to stop his own mount from running off into the distance.
?Befelleim is that way,? Amurios contested, his horse barely moving, only shifting to adjust to the rider?s comfort. ?Being the world capital, I expect that you would be able to recover at least a little information there. Although you?re welcome to go about with this however you please.?
?We?ll go to Befelleim,? Arch answered before Korven could argue back. ?If we can find anything out anywhere, then it?s there.?
?Makes no difference to me,? Rod shrugged as he glared at his horse with disgust. ?I hear there are some decent mechanics there anyway. I might found something useful out.?
?Then it?s settled,? Amurios stated, turning his horse to face the North. ?We leave now. Good luck.?
?Thanks,? Arch nodded back ?Same to you. Bye Juneva.? He said softly to the robed woman about to leave his side.
?Bye.? Juneva responded with a small, yet comforting smile. ?Come back alive.?
There was no answer, Arch, Korven and Rod had already turned their rides around and were galloping away. Juneva sighed and turned also to face both Valk and Amurios.
?Done now?? Amurios asked seriously. Without waiting for Juneva?s reply, he shook his head and reared back on his horse before galloping away gracefully at a gentle pace.
?What is there between you two? You and Arch?? Valk asked as he swerved around, shortly followed by Juneva.
?That?s a pretty personal question Valk,? Juneva spoke back. ?But I?ll tell you if you want. I have nothing better to do.?
?We have time.? Valk added, kicking his ride?s side softly and causing it to lurch forwards with surprising strength. Juneva did the same, and as she caught up with Valk continued to speak.
?You saw that there were six seats in Rod?s craft didn?t you? Well, as you can see, there are only four of us in the Elite. The fifth was King, but there was also a sixth.?
?Why didn?t anyone tell me that?? Valk asked as he gradually sped up. The sound of the hoofs against the grass surprisingly quiet, as if the grand beasts were running on nothing but the air, propelled by some sort of magical force.
?There was nothing? much to tell. Before I began my relationship with Arch, I was with him. His name was Sacros, and was dedicated to the souls of the departed. After years of trying to communicate, using research left behind by Rod?s father in some way we never understood, he finally broke through the barrier between life and death. He became a spy of sorts, able to speak to the dead and find out information that we never would have obtained otherwise. But the day he gained that ability, he left his solid form. I still loved him, of course, and I always knew he was at my side. He would often appear to us, speaking, or offering us support. But after only a few months his visible soul began to fade. His voice grew weaker, and bit by bit we began to lose him. One night he came into me and began to speak, but I was tired and didn?t want to listen. I can?t remember what he said, but since that day we?ve never spoken. I?ve never seen him completely again. But I couldn?t carry on my life alone, after having someone for so long. Arch comforted me during that time, and though I love him deeply, we?ve never been intimate.?
?Never?? Valk snorted. ?Makes me wonder why he?s still with you. But either way, that?s considerate of him, although, you said you?ve haven?t seen him completely since then. What do you mean??
?You?ve seen him too, Valk,? Juneva answered as the wind against them began to grow stronger. ?We all saw him at the same time you did. In the ruins, before meeting King, you saw something that looked like a human figure in the distance, didn?t you??
?That wasn?t King making his way past us?? Valk asked curiously.
?No, it was Sacros. I do love Arch, but I can never actually become? close with him knowing that Sacros is around. His feelings still matter to me, even though he can?t express them.?
?Thoughtful,? Valk said softly. ?This Sacros sure has complicated things then. Was his sacrifice worth it??
?I?m, not sure,? Juneva shrugged, sighing under her breath. ?It was partly thanks to him we first found out about the Gears. He went before the rebellion of King, so perhaps he would be dead now anyway. Who knows??
?Life isn?t always fair, I suppose,? Valk said back. ?Maybe you know this already, but what you should do is-?
?I never knew you could be so sentimental Valk, how touching,? came the voice of Amurios from ahead of them. He had stopped and turned his horse to the side, waiting for them to arrive at his location. ?But we do have an objective here.?
Valk hadn?t noticed, but they had also left the field. In front of him was something new to his eyes: an immense canyon, perhaps miles deep and easily a quarter of a mile wide. He couldn?t see the bottom, but it was enough to let him know that a fall would result in death. The only way across was a thin, natural bridge of eroding stone that stretched across from one side to the other.
?Funny,? Valk grunted as his horse approached the edge. A small amount of stones fell under the weight of one of the hoofs, and as they fell the echo was extremely loud and seemingly endless as it grew quieter, but with no signs of stopping as it continued to fall. ?Are you sure about this??
?This site was where my first project took place,? Amurios pointed out, sweeping his arm out across the area, just to place importance on how long the canyon actually was. ?We burrowed down far, far into the earth, hoping to reach the centre. Who knows how far we actually went before finally stopping and realising our flaw. We already had a canyon big enough to reach more than a great distance down, perhaps all the way. The bottom of the ocean is a magnificent place, Valk. If you survive this mission, and we succeed, I may show it to you some day. But basically, what I?m trying to say is, don?t fall down. You will die, no matter how enhanced you have become over the last few weeks or so.?
?I think I understand that,? Valk interjected with a hint of sarcasm. ?But seeing as you know the area, after you??
Amurios chuckled to himself and turned back to the bridge before trotting off slowly onto it. It seemed firm enough, yet neither Valk nor Juneva were all too sure. After seeing how Amurios had managed to make a fair way across safely, they also began to advance, first Valk, and then the other.

It was a least twenty-five minutes of trekking before anyone decided to speak up again. Amurios was still a great distance ahead, Valk seemed bored, yet Juneva seemed anxious. Valk hadn?t noticed before, but she seemed to always be acting the same way, as if being constantly watched. Now he understood why.
?I know what it?s like to be followed,? Valk said, intending to break the silence held over the area. ?Spartzan?s father claims to know everything about me. It becomes, unnerving, at times. He also seems to show up whenever I least need him to. You?re lucky the person following you around loves you.?
?You think I?m lucky,? Juneva smiled to herself. ?I would much rather have him dead and gone, than know that he is around me but unable to communicate in any way. Can you understand that??
?My wife and daughter were both killed on the same day, not so long ago,? Valk retaliated. ?My son has been left tortured, seemingly possessed by Spartzan?s father and is somewhere out there. I don?t know if he?s still alive, if he?s been freed from his enslaver, or if he?s being used for some sort of twisted plot. So far, I?ve managed to keep my mind on other things. Don?t ask me how, but now that I think about it, I would like nothing more than to be with him now, or a least to exact revenge upon the one that did these things to him and to me.?
Juneva remained silent, looking down at the ground as her horse continued slowly. Her eyes were shut, as if trying to hold something in. As Valk continued to look directly at her soft, sadness riddled face, he noticed a small drop of water emerge from under her eyelids and fall to the dirt. Without saying another word, Valk kicked his horse harder and galloped ahead to catch up with Amurios. In between both of his companions, he could have sworn that he could hear a voice in the air.
?If you want revenge, you?ll have to try a little harder than on your previous attempts.?
Valk stopped for a moment and began to look around, startled. For a moment he saw nothing. For a moment. Seconds later, as if bursting out from another world a wounded figure of atrocious flesh clad in black appeared at his side, hovering slightly in the air. Valk had no time to react, as the figure had already lurched forwards, slamming into Valk, knocking him from his horse and sending the pair of them tumbling from the rigid, curving bridge.
Air began to rush furiously past Valk as he fell, back first. He had both hands grasped on his attacker?s shoulders who was falling face down slightly above him. Out of instinct, he pulled the man in black closer and delivered a horrible head butt to his opponent?s skull, who responded by kicking downwards and knocking Valk further away.
?You, again!? Valk called out over the roar of the air. ?Why can?t you just leave me alone??
?I am making sure destiny follows its correct path!? the man responded. The appearance was clear; Spartzan?s father had attacked once again. Yet his clothes were further torn and his face had become slightly more visible. Valk knew that he had seen the face somewhere before, yet it was too mutilated to work out who.
?Deal with Spartzan yourself. You?re strong enough, I know it. You don?t need me!?
?I need you to live, Valk,? the father replied. As the pair began to level out once again, Valk took his sword from his back and threw it upwards, blade first. With force, it pierced through the target?s stomach, yet like normal seemed to have no effect. Spartzan?s father grabbed the weapon by the hilt and as he descended, took a look at it and simply tossed it aside. ?As you may be able to see Valk, I am also unarmed. Now, I know these conditions may not be the best, but at least we can have a fair fight now.?
Valk looked over his shoulder at abyss below and blood continued to rain from the stomach of the man above and splatter him slightly. The ground was still invisible. Whether this was because of the distance between them and it or simply because of the increasing darkness he wasn?t sure, but if he was going to die anyway, he wanted to make sure Spartzan?s father went with him.
?Doesn?t seem to fair to me,? Valk interjected fiercely, as he unclipped the hilt from his waist. Moments later, the jewels on either end began to glow, and from both sides electricity burst out, forming a set of dual katana blades. ?But now, I think the balance has been restored. What do you say??
?At least you may pose a slight challenge to dispose of. Oh, and if you want to curse me in your final moments, just call me Bob.?
?Bob?? Valk replied with a frown. ?At least I can name you now. Well then Bob, try not to flee this time. I wouldn?t want you missing your own death.?

Ah, I interrupt cheesy weeping scenes with action. Am I just great or what?
Please, honest opinions here. I don't know how this has turned out.
Sig and avy by Jam Jar

Displaying Page 6 of 8

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Last     Previous | Next
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close