Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

Gears of Destiny

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 7 of 8

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Last     Previous | Next
Sotek Posted: 14:29 Feb18 2008 Post ID: 2127167
Sotek
Post Likes: 0
+
Bob? BOB? What kind of a name is that for a main villain!?

Anyway, I think that you managed the chapter really well. Several things were explained, we learn more about some of the characters, and much other coolness. However, I have to ask, has Valk lost his power stealing sword now? Because that would suck.

Bob indeed...

Seeing as I now have three short stories posted, I figure I may as well put all of them in my bio, so go there for links to "The Lab", "Daemon" and "Afterlife". Additionally, you should read my fic, The Crystals of Narlkant
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
Cataclysm Posted: 01:16 Feb19 2008 Post ID: 2127974
Cataclysm
Post Likes: 2
+
His real name isn't Bob! I chucked that in for two reasons.
1. So Valk would actually have something to call him now.
2. I don't have to keep using "Spartzan's father" in every piece of text.
3. It also keeps his real name hidden.

Losing power you say? You'll just have to wait and see.
Sig and avy by Jam Jar

Sotek Posted: 10:53 Feb20 2008 Post ID: 2129364
Sotek
+
Hmm, guess I'd better bump this in case another chapter comes along.

Tch, Bob...

Seeing as I now have three short stories posted, I figure I may as well put all of them in my bio, so go there for links to "The Lab", "Daemon" and "Afterlife". Additionally, you should read my fic, The Crystals of Narlkant
Cataclysm Posted: 12:27 Feb21 2008 Post ID: 2130409
Cataclysm
+
Oh, a chapter.

Chapter 31: Mind Corruption

A heavy fist pounded into Valk?s face, followed by another in the gut as the falling pair desperately fought. Valk, with his double ended weapon in hand, slashed once horizontally with the left side, followed by a vertical gash at the so called ?Bob? with the right. Before either of the attacks could connect, Bob straightened his fall and delivered a kick to Valk?s chest, propelling him downwards where he was unable to reach his opponent. Too far away to strike at Bob, Valk drew his free hand back to his side, ready to form one of his typical spheres of dark energy, only to find that nothing was happening.
?What have you done?? Valk roared upwards as Bob merely smiled. ?If we?re going to hit the ground, then I?m going to make sure you?re on the bottom!?
?You can see that I am unarmed Valk,? Bob responded, holding out his right arm to the side. ?But watch.?
At first there was nothing but the continuous wind rushing past them, but moments later something began to ring through the air. Something that sounded like a high pitched whistle. It wasn?t long until Valk could see something plunging faster, yet smaller than them. Without even looking back, Bob caught the plummeting object, and swung it out for Valk to see. Now in his hand was the fragmented sword which he had previously wielded.
?What about fair?? Valk questioned as he once again prepared his weapon. Already he could see Bob empowering. Not physically, but there was something in his eyes, in the air around him that hinted at a sudden surge of power flooding through him.
?My blade works in the same way as yours Valk. You may not have realised, but with every opponent you kill, their soul is bound to this world. They do not find eternal peace, but instead are entrapped within the sword, lending their power to you until they are released.?
?Thanks for the explanation,? Valk called back with an interjection of anger. ?But why tell me??
?I want you to do the same. Think of the strongest opponents you have defeated since you gained your power and command their spirits.?
?Why would I do that? Because you told me to??
?Do you want your sword? and power back, or not??
Valk began to grind his teeth and grasp the hilt of his weapon tighter. There were some things he would accept, but being told what to do by an enemy wasn?t one of them.
?It can wait,? Valk retaliated. ?But perhaps this can do the trick.?
On his right wrist, the small jewel given to him by Spartzan was chained. Whether it would help in a fight or not he would have to find out, but it was worth a try. He allowed the chain to slip down his arm and slipped the stone into his palm. He suddenly lurched out with his arm, and without warning a sound erupted, like someone banging a hollow drum inside a cave. The noise was deep and continuous; reverberating of the sides of the canyon, but that wasn?t all. In front of Valk in the direction he was facing the very fabric of the air appeared to be rippling like a violent wave, headed straight for Bob. For a moment he seemed to be suspended during his fall, until not even a second later the force pushed him upwards with incredible speed, tumbling uncontrollably against the weight of gravity. Eventually he seemed to stop, and once again began to fall normally, slightly shaken up and now even further away from Valk.
?I suppose I should have expected that,? Bob shrugged, beginning to plunge head-first so as to catch up with Valk. His sword was held out ahead of him, cutting through the air and causing him to plummet faster. ?But that won?t kill anyone unless you learn how to control it, and the ground is constantly growing closer.?
Valk continued to glare at Bob, even as he fell. There was obviously a reason he was trying to help Valk recover his sword. The question was whether it was for a beneficial reason, or if he was going to use it for himself. Time was running out though, and as much as he hated taking orders he couldn?t change that.
Shutting his eyes he began to think back. Who had been strong and worth taking the live of? Frakxuja was one. Little by little others returned to him, mostly the images of every Varlerian he had fought since the beginning.
?So you?ve decided to take my advice?? Bob asked with a smirk. ?I knew you would in the end, really. Now hurry up. There?s nothing I can do to intervene with this process like I?ve doing at other times in your life, so hurry it up.?
Valk didn?t listen. It was strange, but he could feel some sort of resonation between their souls and his own, as if they were somehow attracted magnetically to his own. It didn?t take long to feel the bond growing. He could sense them closing in, and sure enough, simply reaching out with his free hand he felt his weapon? blade first. The steel edge cut through the skin between his thumb and finger cleanly, but not enough to take either off. Then the top of the hilt came through his entire set of his fingers ferociously, until finally he allowed his hand to clasp around the hilt, as painful as it was.
?No what do you want? If you still want to die, then come closer!? Valk bellowed. He could feel his power returning, even if he hadn?t even noticed it leave. It was as if he had been tired for weeks, and was finally able to lie down for what seemed to be the first time. His muscles became looser and he breathed heavily as each of his fingers snapped back into place and the gash in his skin rapidly closed itself up.
?Now we wait.? Bob called back calmly.
?Wait for what? Your birthday?? Valk replied, gritting his teeth once again.
?Don?t you worry,? Bob assured, already placing his hands behind the back of his head and allowing himself to lie down as if relaxing. ?I know what will happen.?
Valk simply gaped at Bob in shock. Falling to their deaths, and he was almost sleeping. Valk looked down and saw indeed that the floor was growing closer. It was almost pitch black now, and beneath them was nothing but a rocky surface with a stream running through it not even a metre in width.
Suddenly he realised what Bob had been waiting for. His fall was growing slower, just like when Bob had thrown him from the fortress not so long ago. That time the Varlerian had been the one to prevent his death, who was helping them now?
Above Bob he could see a third human figure plunging head-first, also holding out one arm. Even in the dark the appearance was unmistakeable. The white, almost silvery hair was gleaming as it trailed behind him softly in his descent. It seemed Amurios had thrown himself from the bridge for some reason Valk wasn?t sure of. The air seemed to be growing denser, almost liquid like, as if at any moment swimming would become possible. Valk could feel his breathing growing slower, and his vision was becoming somewhat blurry, until finally the three touched the ground. Valk?s legs gave way and he tripped over, having been airborne for more than a while with no control his legs felt like jelly. The other two didn?t seem to be effected, as they were already locked in battle. Bob had his weapon held diagonally upwards, pressing against what looked like a larger blade of pure ice perpendicular to his own. Both were being rubbed against the surface of the other with great strength. Chips of ice were being flung from Amurios? weapon, while the aura around Bob?s mystical blade seemed to be preventing any sort of negative effect.
?Thanks for that.? Valk mumbled to Amurios as he stood back up, wobbling a little, but finally managing to hold himself up. He had his sword back, and was strong enough to fight, but the real question was with whom? He knew that he would have to betray Spartzan and his men sometime, and that could be now. Bob had also offered him help at times, and also appeared to hold a grudge against Spartzan. Then again, he had also tried to kill him a number of other times, and had severely set back his plans in the process.
?Hurry up!? Amurios suddenly shouted as Bob pushed harder in a brutal movement, flinging the ice blade from Amurios? grasp and leaving him unarmed.
Valk ran at the pair as Amurios jumped backwards in an attempt to avoid a vicious stab from Bob. It would have succeeded, if Valk hadn?t swung his sword down and driven Bob?s weapon into the ground at the last moment.
?See sense Valk,? Bob ordered, swinging his foot into Valk?s sword as it held his own down, effectively knocking it away. ?You know what you want to do, so just do it. It?s that simple.?
?You can?t beat the both of us!? Amurios hissed. As he let go of his weapon it simply melted into a puddle on the floor, which rapidly seemed to slither along the ground and into his foot. Holding out both hands to the side, a pair of jagged daggers formed of dark blue ice appeared.
?I won?t need to,? Bob replied. ?Tell me, Valk, don?t you want the Gears for yourself??
At that moment, Amurios charged, and as he arrived slashed once with the right dagger and stabbed with the left. Bob responded by swinging his own weapon horizontally, managing to shatter the dagger being used to stab, but receiving a gash across the face from the other in the process. In an instant, the wound froze over, leaving a crackling cut, clean from blood across lining his cheek.
?Valk?s already seen sense, he knows that by working for Lord Spartzan he can obtain true greatness,? Amurios stated as he stepped away. ?The Gears are for my Lord alone.?
?What do you say, Valk?? Bob asked with a smirk, turning to Valk as he picked up his sword from the ground. ?Have you sworn loyalty to Spartzan? Let me tell you one thing. You believe that I control the Gears myself. I don?t, but I know how. If you simply come with me I can show you.?
?Don?t try and corrupt him with your lies!? Amurios interrupted. As he spoke, another dagger formed in his left hand, slightly larger than the last with a more rigid surface. Moments later he had already drawn his arm back over his shoulder and had thrown the large knife directly towards Bob. Valk shielded his eyes as the weapon struck its target, removing at least three quarters of the head and sending a shower of skull fragments and deformed skin infused with a somewhat mouldy amount of blood in his direction. As he let his arms down, he was early enough to see Bob?s body take two steps forwards before toppling over onto its knees and falling finally completely.
?That?s it?? Valk asked as he walked over to the body, sounding disappointed in a way. Valk then kicked the body over to see the front, where a small part of the lower half of the head remained, numerous organs protruding from the neck area.
?We?ve bought ourselves some time,? Amurios suddenly said, grabbing Valk on the shoulder and attempting to pull him away. ?When I said that he couldn?t beat the both of us, I lied. He?s far too strong; we need to get away now.?
?Too late.? came the echoing voice of Bob from around them. Pushing itself up with its hands, the body stood back up, falling around slightly as a being with no eyes would, before straightening out completely. From the remaining parts of the head a number of thin tentacles seeming to be made of solidified blood reached out, perhaps hundreds, and began to descend to the ground, each one attaching itself to a fragment of the remains of Bob?s face and slowly bringing them back. Bit by bit they began to reform the head, placing each fragment back into place like a puzzle until finally it was like before, yet with a number of new scars. All the while Valk stood on the spot observing the sight with his mouth open, a number of the blood made tentacles also licking off him to remove body segments that had stuck to his face and clothing, with Amurios at his side attempting to pull him away.
?Have you lost your mind, staying here?? Amurios blurted out to Valk, soon discovering that he wasn?t getting anywhere by pulling.
?Seeing as you?re not dead now,? Valk began, ignoring a desperate Amurios at his side. ?You can keep explaining. How exactly can you help me??
?I know where King has gone,? Bob began, also ignoring Amurios as the Lord of the Ocean once again began to create a somewhat incredibly large ice sword in his grasp. ?And like I said, I know exactly where the Gears themselves are located. What do you say??
?He says no of course.? Amurios interjected as he ran at Bob. Bob simply grinned as the Lord grew near; watching as he suddenly stopped only inches away. For no apparent reason he roared out in pain and swung himself around to face Valk. In that moment, Bob saw a familiar looking weapon emerging from Amurios? back, embedded deeply, with the other end diagonally sticking out. Taking the opportunity as he remained undefended, Bob pushed Amurios over before driving his foot into the floored man?s neck. Still armed, Amurios swung up at Bob?s neck, who simply grabbed the weapon, his hand now bleeding greatly, and tossed it aside after wrenching it from his grasp.
?Why don?t you just let him speak for himself?? Bob snorted as he continued to press his foot into Amurios? neck.
?Thanks,? Valk muttered, still on guard. He had no reason to trust Bob as of yet, and didn?t plan on being the best of friends with him anytime soon. ?Keep speaking, you have three minutes to convince me.?
?I doubt you could do anything to stop me from speaking in that amount of time, but fair enough,? Bob replied passively. ?I?ll tell you part of the truth. For my own survival, I need to help you. The reasons must remain a secret for now, and if you question me even a little I will manipulate everyone you know into your enemies, including Spartzan. I can easily frame you for Amurios? death.?
At that moment Amurios began to writhe around violently, forming yet another dagger in his hand and lunging for Bob?s leg. The blade spliced open Bob?s skin and sunk in, yet all the injured man did was press even harder with his foot.
?That can wait until later then.? Valk answered, trying to avoid Amurios? eyesight as he played with the trust of both men in the process. ?How can I be sure you won?t betray me??
?Didn?t I just say that I need you alive?? Bob questioned with a sigh. ?That?s the truth. I can?t prove it, but if you want the Gears then you?ll have to trust me, for now. Plus, like all things I do, this is supposed to happen. It is written. The choice is still your?s though.?
Valk stopped for a moment, and for the first time looked at Amurios on the floor, before facing Bob once again. The side on which everyone knew he was on hung in the balance of his decision, and it couldn?t be taken lightly. He stayed silent for five minutes, then ten, and then twelve before finally speaking.
?Finally being able to live with at least a little peace, against the power over time?? he began, barely even mumbling. ?Allow me to do one thing before I make my choice.?
Valk walked over to Bob and Amurios, and held the tip of his sword at the Ocean Lord?s forehead.
?Sorry about this, but you can?t know.? Valk continued, before pulling up his weapon and preparing to stab downwards. As he did so, Bob kicked his weapon away fiercely, giving Amurios the chance to roll away and stand up.
?He?s not supposed to die now!? Bob roared as Valk looked up at him in surprise. ?But judging by what you were about to do, you?ve decided to allow me to lead you to the Gears??
?That?s right,? Valk answered after a brief hesitation. He then looked over to where Amurios had been, only to see a now empty space. Looking up, he saw a small number of stones fall, and a human figure leaping away. ?But why didn?t you let me kill him? Because of you Spartzan will find out about my betrayal much sooner than I had planned.? He began to shout.
?That was the way it was supposed to happen,? Bob answered back as he pulled the freezing ice dagger from his leg and threw it over his shoulder. ?And I can?t let you pile up too much strength. There?s always the danger of you becoming stronger than I.?
Valk snorted and turned his back on Bob, already scanning the area. It was incredibly dark, with the small stream he had seen earlier running past his feet. Many jagged areas lined the ground, and the falls were too far apart to see.
?How do you plan on getting us out of here then?? he asked with a slight injection of frustration. ?Any great ideas or twisted plans??
?This place, being dub by Spartzan?s forces, actually contains more than a few secrets,? Bob began, pushing past Valk and beginning to make his way into the darkness ahead. Raising one eyebrow, Valk began to follow, yet again, waiting for his questions to be fully answered. ?At random points there are underground passages that lead back up to the surface, each one leading to some sort of significant location. If the layout is how I believe it is, then one should take us to a village extremely close to the Gears. Pure coincidence really.?
?Any how far away is this passage?? Valk questioned, sounding slightly more anxious than normal.
?We should be walking for about a day,? Bob continued to explain, not sounding bothered even a little. ?Maybe more, maybe less, Valk. Either way, I can guarantee we won?t be attacked until we reach the surface, so you should be glad.?
?Stuck in a dark area with a man I don?t even know, capable of overpowering me without even trying? I see exactly how I should be glad.? Valk spat back sarcastically.
?Don?t complain so much. You may find something decent in your time with me. Who knows, you may even find your son.?

Be truthful. Who managed to read this without snorting or laughing at least once at the name, Bob? Sotek... pfft.
Sig and avy by Jam Jar

Sotek Posted: 04:40 Feb22 2008 Post ID: 2131220
Sotek
+
No, I think it was nore along the lines of a cringe than a laugh actually.

Putting your abysmal choice of character name aside, this was a pretty good chapter. I'm not sure that Valk made the right decision, but then again, who knows? This chapter raised quite a lot of questions, which I can only assume will be snswered in the next chapter or six.

Keep up the good work, and try for a better name than Bob...

Cataclysm Posted: 12:33 Mar05 2008 Post ID: 2144628
Cataclysm
+
Took a while to write and post, but I finally bring y'all a new chapter.

Chapter 32: Madness Proximity

?We have time, so any questions are welcome,? Bob stated, looking over his shoulder back at Valk, who was trudging along at a somewhat slower pace. ?Answers are limited though.?
?I understand that,? Valk answered, looking up from the ground and staring into the darkness at what he presumed to be Bob?s figure. ?You?ve managed to remind me how limited my reach of knowledge is more than a few times. But seeing as the offer is here, I do have some things to ask.?
?Go ahead.?
?In Olim Merkabah, I heard once or twice about something Spartzan and Garzavath were calling the Fusion Process. What do you know about it??
?Everything,? Bob smiled, now looking ahead as he spoke. ?Which isn?t much to be honest, but here I go. For a long time, the Varlerians have been trapped beneath Olim Merkabah. Not out of coincidence of course, long ago that was the Varlerian main fortress, and where Spartzan first declared war against the race. Like you know, the Soulstones are needed to release a Varlerian, unless a weapon such as yours is used. Whenever the energy that your sword contains comes in contact with a crystal of entrapment it?s content is released. At the same time, the Stone that holds the Varlerian?s soul is shattered, and it returns to its owner in that instant. Anyway, there has been a reason Spartzan has kept them near him for so long. You may not know this, but Spartzan is one of the only half-breeds in existence. I was human, whilst his mother was Varlerian. I know about your dreams, meaning you know why Spartzan hates the Varlerian race so much, so I?ll skip the details. Are you following me so far??
?More or less,? Valk replied a few seconds later after considering what he had been told so far. ?But you still haven?t answered my question.?
?I?m getting to that. As I was saying, Spartzan declared war, and slowly began accumulating power with my weapon, yet as he did so he realised one thing; there was no one to match him as an ally. There were humans who joined him, yes, but they were simply too weak to be of any use unless being used as a distraction or being sent in masses. Varlerians were too proud, and too strong whilst together to even consider being allies. So Spartzan came to a conclusion. If he could be half blooded, then why couldn?t others. For years now, he?s been attempting to fuse humans and Varlerians together, but each and every time he?s failed. Not because of his manner of fusing, but because of the Soulstones. Most of them are hidden, and even with the few that he has found, he has had to send someone from the Order to find the entrapped Varlerian it corresponds to. In a few words, it?s been too difficult to carry out.?
?And now that I?ve set them all free, he can begin without the worry of finding the stones?? then questioned Valk, stopping and looking now even closer at Bob. ?Is that right??
?It is. This would actually be good on your part, having the Varlerians weakened slightly so that they can be controlled with higher ease, but there?s one thing I want to lay out in front of you. You saw how many Varlerians in Olim Merkabah? Thousands, even millions? Now consider the fact that they may have only been a portion of the full amount there.? Bob continued, also turning to Valk and walking towards him as he spoke. Valk stayed still and continued to focus on the other as he drew closer.
?What are you saying? You want me to do something to try and stop him? Not a chance. I want one thing, the Gears. If that involves somehow stopping this process, then fair enough, but I?m, not backtracking just for a few Varlerians.?
?It?s not the Varlerians you should be thinking about,? Bob interjected almost threateningly. ?For every fusion there has to be one Varlerian? and one human. He has the Varlerians, so where do you think he?ll get the humans from??
?Why would I care??
?Cities, towns,? Bob carried on, without taking notice of Valk?s casualty. ?Spartzan will harvest them like vegetables in a field.?
?And how do you know??
?Destiny is something I know of,? Bob responded, now speaking calmer with an air of tranquillity now. ?I knew you would decide to come with me in the end, and I know that Spartzan will begin his collection, unless someone get?s in the way. What do you say??
?I say we?re wasting time and need to hurry up if we want to catch King,? Valk hissed, pushing his way past Bob and continuing through the darkness. ?You?re welcome to answer more of my questions though.?
?As I thought,? Bob sighed, shaking his head and following close behind. ?Well, if you?re certain, just let me propose it to you in a different way. Spartzan is at the point of beginning his harvest, the human race is cowering fear, yet on the horizon a hero emerges. Let?s imagine that hero is you Valk. In an epic battle you risk your life and defeat Spartzan, saving the people from certain death and becoming a legend in the process. Then, with Spartzan out of your way, you harness the power of the Gears tranquilly. Plus, during your battle, you may be able to steal the very soul of the most powerful man alive. How about now? Surely that means something to you??
Valk stayed silent for a moment, once again stopping, before sighing and turning back around, his face now looking grim an uncertain.
?It sounds appealing, but I?m guessing you already know what my decision is going to be, right? What?s the point in this discussion??
?As much as I believe in the absolute control of Destiny, I believe that you should aid me in stopping Spartzan even more.?
?And why didn?t you ask me this before??
?Because? fate states that now is the time that I offer this preposition to you.?
Valk once again stopped talking and looked down at the dirt. Free will seemed practically nonexistent in this man?s eyes, as if every one of his actions were guided by someone, or something, other than himself.
?And what does fate say that I?ll choose??
?Fate says that you, Valk, will choose to ignore my offer and keep on going towards the Gears.?
?Then that?s what I?ll do!? Valk stated, turning and allowing his back to face Bob as he carried on through the canyon.
?This can only end horribly!? Bob called out. Valk didn?t answer, and taking his silence as the one, true final answer, he followed suit and overtook Valk to lead the way.

Hours of silent walking passed through the darkness, never changing, like an endless loop of stone and shadow, yet Bob not once stopped. Valk paused to stretch occasionally, his aching bones begging for rest, but his mind wanting to reach the Gears as soon as possible. During their time of travelling they saw not one living creature, until it was Bob who shattered the eternal quiet suddenly.
?You?re tired Valk,? he began, placing his right arm in Valk?s way as he swivelled around. ?We can rest soon. Just not, now. Would you like to know what we?re heading into??
?More dark?? Valk said, rolling his eyes as his legs began to buckle beneath him. ?You don?t have anything to eat do you??
Bob laughed almost silently at Valk?s complaining, allowing his arm to fall, unblocking Valk?s path.
?You don?t want to know what I did to cure hunger at points in my life,? Bob began. At that moment Valk looked down at his companions limbs, before wincing in disgust as he noticed how some of his wounds resembled bite marks. Bob continued to laugh, only to become serious once again seconds later. ?I?ll tell you where we?re going anyway. At one point, as I said, Spartzan was using this as a dig site. Garzavath?s fusion project also began here, meaning that there is an abandoned research area not so far ahead. We can sleep there, although I suggest you keep your guard up.?
Valk raised one eyebrow as Bob continued to make his way into the distance, but by bit, with incredibly calmly paced steps. Now taking him seriously, Valk tightened the grip on his weapon harder then ever before, a single drop of sweat slithering down the side of his head. If Bob said that there was a reason to keep your guide up, then no doubt there was.
It didn?t take long for the research area to come into view. They suddenly hit a descending hill, that seemed to smooth to be natural. No doubt about it, they had reached their destination. As they drew closer, an artificial light began to emit from some unknown direction, illuminating the entire canyon base dimly and revealing the edifice. It was situated within an enormous artificial crater of steel, with a collection of domes in the centre made of the same material. Not one window littered the spherical surfaces, but at one point there was a door. Bob appeared to be quite casual, whereas Valk was constantly looking over his shoulder into the obscurity behind. When they finally reached the bottom of the crater, they realised how large the domes actually were. Each one, built into another forming a compilation of buildings that took the shape of a spiders spawn, yet much larger, was high enough to contain at least thirty men, stood on top of the other?s shoulders. Silence was absolute, save for the clanging footsteps that echoed incredibly, resonating against the metal of the new floor.
?In we go,? Bob said pleasantly as they reached a small door. He pulled it back, grinding the hinges horribly, and stepped in. ?There?s nothing to worry about Valk, just follow.?
Valk did so, cautiously, and entered the first dome. He was surprised at the interior. Everything was forged from metal, albeit rusted now, with a number of mechanisms lining the curved walls. In the centre was something unbelievable. Supported by three legs of pure machinery was an awesome drill, with the point facing downwards. Beneath it was a large hole, from which steam appeared to be blowing out of gently. Bob ignored it completely and carried on across the circular room, pushing a number of equipment covered tables out of his way until he reached another door, and turned back to face Valk.
?What is this place?? Valk gasped as he gaped with his mouth ajar at the sights around him.
?The dig area,? Bob responded, before then pointing at Valk?s sword. ?You should have that ready for the next dome,? he continued as he reached for the door?s handle. ?Prepare yourself.?
Valk nodded, and at that point, both electrical blades protruded from his wooden hilt, at the same time as he held out his other sword in his right hand.
?What?s coming??
?You?ll see,? Bob chuckled. ?Oh, and by the way, have you named your sword yet? Every weapon needs a decent name.?
?Why would I give my sword a name?? Valk frowned as he looked down at his blood embedded blade.
?I?ll do it then,? Bob shrugged. ?I named mine The Reaper, and I like the name, so I guess yours can share it.?
?It doesn?t bother me,? Valk shrugged back. ?Is there a point in this??
?Yes? now let?s go.?
At that point, Bob charged into the dome without hesitation, followed by a slightly slower Valk. There were no sings of anything dangerous within. Only complete silence, yet Valk stayed alert nonetheless. As he entered the second dome, he saw that Bob was making his way over to the centre. The area was completely empty from what he could see, and also a lot larger that the last. In that moment, he allowed his tension to decrease and looked around. It was a perfect circle, empty, save for the steel floor. All that could be heard was Bob walking only a few metres ahead, then he stopped directly in the centre and swerved around.
?Don?t take this the wrong way Valk. I am allied with you, and I?m not so sure you?ll understand this.?
?That can only be bad then?? Valk sighed upon hearing Bob?s words.
?Indeed, in a way. I would like to remind you that this is only happening simply because destiny dictates your life in such a way. If I do not follow the fate?s set track my life could be put in danger, so make sure you win.?
?Win what?? Asked Valk anxiously. There was nobody to fight apart from Bob in the entire area, was he about to face off against the one person who may be able to help him?
?All in due time. Tell me one thing though, if you had the chance, would you like to meet your son again??
Valk, yet again that day, was silenced. If is son was somewhere near, he would no doubt want to meet him, but not in the state he had seen the young boy before.
?Yes.? Valk stated, all the while remaining cautious of his surroundings. There was still absolutely nothing to draw attention. Just an absence of sound and interior decoration, yet as Bob stepped out of the way, Valk saw a figure, much shorter than the previous one, appear behind.
?Dad!? the small boy called out. Valk hadn?t expected such a thing to happen, but in that instant he felt a surge of emotions rise within him. His son?s voice sounded like it had done when they had been a true family, innocent and loveable. Before he could answer, his son was running at him, his arms open. Valk kneeled down, feeling as if he could cry with joy any time soon.
?I?m here son,? Valk said quietly as he kneeled down on one leg. As Zyro reached him, the boy jumped into his arms, they embraced. ?How are you??
Zyro had been completely cured of any previous injuries, his skin clean of blood and glowing under the single light above them. His short brown hair felt as soft as it always had as it brushed the side of his head. Valk shut his eyes and inhaled deeply. For once it seemed things were going his way. Wishing to see Zyro once again he opened his eyes and leaned back, only to nearly vomit in horror. Somehow, Zyro had returned to his previous form, both eyes gouged away with flesh practically falling from his face. Both ears were missing, and his nose was as mutilated as it had been earlier.
?How?? Valk began, but had no time to finish. Before he could stand up once again, the child leaned over his shoulder, and seconds later Valk felt the sharp blade of a knife plunge into his back.
?You?re so easy to fool, Valk.? Zyro laughed as he stepped away. Valk was roaring in pain, as if the weapon was hurting him more than a normal knife would have. Standing up, he reached around to his back at the same time, only to fell nothing. In front of him, his son had a sphere of blue energy materialising in his right hand, slowly taking the shape of a small sword, the same as he had used before.
?Why?? Valk gasped, cringing in pain.
?You expected me to forgive you after what you did?? Zyro growled, holding the point of his sword out to his father menacingly. ?Mum is dead, and so is Kila, all because of you, yet you trust an illusion and expect everything to be fine again? You really are weaker than I thought you were Valk.?
?Neecrow did that to you, not me,? Valk groaned as he felt his wound steadily heal once again. ?And he gave the order!? he continued, pointing to Bob with a glare of fury following it towards the cloaked man, who remained completely still, observing the pair.
?You just don?t understand,? Zyro said, shaking his head. ?But you will some day, I hope, Valk.?
?Why do you keep calling me that?? Valk shouted back, his injury now completely healed. He felt energetic again, yet couldn?t get over the fact that his own son had spun an illusion in such a sick manner.
?You?re not my father anymore,? Zyro retaliated. ?And I refuse to be called by that name anymore. My name is Edikeo now, and I will not answer to Zyro.?
Bob, still observing, laughed a little under his breath, only to have both the father and the son look over at him, one with an appearance of desperation, the other of determination.
?Pretty stupid name if you ask me,? Bob said with his hands raised in the air. ?That?s just my opinion though. Carry on.?
?You?re next!? Edikeo spat at Bob. ?There?s something I don?t like about you,? he then turned back to Valk and took one step closer, his energy blade drawing slightly closer to his father?s heart.
?Zyro, you?re my son, not Edikeo. Snap out of this, and I?ll forget everything else to take care of you. Just put the sword down!?
?No,? Edikeo hissed back. Just then he lunged forwards, narrowly missing Valk?s chest as he stepped aside. Now standing as his son?s side, Valk brought up a barrier between the two. The young boy stopped and placed his own hand on the rippling wall of energy, shattering it like glass in an instant. ?I know what it is you really want. I saw it in you the day you attacked, back in the Fourth Order?s fortress. You love me, yes, but you love the thought of power more. Things can only end badly for anyone near you. Just another reason to end your miserable life.?
?I won?t let you,? Valk answered, stepping backwards, away from his son. ?And neither will he,? he continued as he pointed over at Bob. ?He needs me alive. You can?t beat the both of us, no matter how strong you?ve become.?
?I?m simply an observer,? Bob interrupted, shaking his head as Valk frowned in his direction. ?I have my own reasons for wanting to intervene in what is to come, but I can?t. I suppose you can guess why. Just try and hurry.?
Valk began to bite his lip in worry. He couldn?t count on Bob?s aid, and he was going to have to face his own son in battle? again. He wouldn?t have had a problem defending himself, but after just remembering what it was like to have Zyro near him, things seemed so much more difficult.
?Unless you kill me yourself, you will die Valk.? Edikeo stated with a certain firmness capable of convincing even Valk that it was true. Realising he had a choice between life and death, Valk?s attitude suddenly changed, he grasped his sword, activated his dual katana, and prepared himself defensively.
?Okay then, Edikeo, we?ll play things your way. If you have what it takes to kill your only remaining family, then go ahead. Strike at me.?
Edikeo seemed slightly surprised by Valk?s response. His balance appeared to be lost for less than a second, until he swung his sword down to his side and held it out horizontally. His hollow eye sockets took the form of a fierce glare directed at Valk, and like an invisible aura his lust for vengeance became clear once again. Without further time wasting Edikeo rapidly raised his free hand and launched a wide spread wave of black electricity at his father. Using the same movements, a similar jet of dark lightning leapt from Valk?s palm, colliding with Edikeo?s elemental incantation and knocking it away with ease before dispersing. As Edikeo was left shocked, slightly, Valk ran forwards and slashed from left to right with one end of his katana. They boy jumped back to avoid the horizontal swing, but was unprepared by the following lurch forwards from the other end of the double sided weapon as Valk it down towards his ankles. Edikeo was just fast enough to swing his own weapon downwards and knock the blade away, but now his higher half was undefended. Before he could ascend his sword, Valk had taken Reaper and had stabbed ferociously at his neck area. The point didn?t connect directly, instead it sliced carefully through the side of Edikeo?s neck, causing him to fall over backwards with a large amount of blood pouring from the right of his throat. The entire sequence had taken place in the space of ten seconds, and had left the child both injured and flustered.
?You won?t kill me, that?s already been proven,? Edikeo coughed, holding his neck in pain. ?Would you be able to live with yourself if you did?? he continued as he stood back up. Valk merely smiled down at him and nodded with his eyebrows raised, as if waiting for his son to try his next planned move. And so he did. Edikeo rose rapidly back onto his feet, and began to flex his thin muscles, before suddenly launching a firm stab at Valk?s waist. Valk grabbed the blade of blue light, despite the cuts being caused in his hand, and pulled slightly. Without much effort, it came free from Edikeo?s grasp and shattered as Valk?s barrier had done, leaving it?s wielder shocked.
?At least you tried,? the now over confident victor shrugged, speaking with false sympathy. ?Better luck next time.?
Grunting in anger, another sphere of energy formed in Edikeo?s hands, becoming a sword equal to the one used before. Instead of making any sort of move to attack, he vanished completely, before becoming visible directly behind Valk and slashing downwards horizontally for his back. Valk swerved around and swung a spinning kick into the child?s side, knocking him to the floor, only for him to disappear once again. A second later, he appeared in the air, slightly higher than Valk?s head. From his new position he brought his foot thrusting towards his father?s skull. Valk ducked as Edikeo fell from the air and landed on his hands and knees. At that moment, Valk took the opportunity to grab his son by the neck with one hand, and by one heel with the other. With minimal force being used, he lifted the small body from the ground despite the writhing, and threw it across the room. Edikeo slammed into the floor more than a fair distance away, denting the steel and continuing to roll and slide until he came into contact with the beginning of the dome?s sides. Looking down in pain his mouth fell open as he saw his own weapon protruding from where his ribs should be. How he could see, Valk wasn?t sure, but he obviously had some way of doing so, because he was gaping at his sword as it shattered, leaving an immense gash in his side.
?You really do want to kill me,? Edikeo said quietly, yet loud enough for the echoes to reach Valk?s ears. ?What kind of monster have you become??
?Where?s that confidence you had before?? Valk shouted back, already marching towards his son, who was rapidly losing blood as it spilled onto the ground. ?You said so yourself, I?ve been disowned. I?m nothing to you, which means that you mean the same to me. Are you certain you don?t want to stop this and just give up??
Edikeo looked up at Valk as he drew close enough to be within his weapon?s reach, he had been on the verge of defeat, and now he was against a wall with his attacker close enough to take his life. What could Valk possibly want?
?Not any time soon.? Edikeo spat back. He was now leaning against the side, attempting to maintain himself afoot.
?Wake up from whatever trance it is you?re in,? Valk replied. He would have sounded kind in a way, if it wasn?t for the interjection of anger. ?Why don?t you just return to normality.?
?You think you?re the normal one?? Edikeo continued to splutter. ?Think about what you?ve done. You?ve allowed your entire family to leave you, to have your entire world destroyed. You?ve joined the very man that has been your enemy since birth, and now you?ve formed an alliance with the very man that caused all of this. All to gain more power. You don?t think that?s madness??
?I?m fighting to live,? Valk growled back, his pride now hurt. ?If you can?t accept me for the way that I am then you have no place in my life.? His face began to blare with fury as he stared down at the one he had once called a son who continued to defy him, despite the fact he had been mortally injured.
?So kill me then. I don?t matter to you, nobody does. It?s just you in your world. You think that you?re free, making your own decisions, don?t you? Well, you?re wrong, everything you?re doing is being guided, and you?re nothing but a marionette, tied to the strings or more than one person. Whatever you do benefits someone else somehow. Anyone who looks at you from the outside can see that.?
?I am free,? Valk hissed, now grinding his teeth as he spoke. ?Nobody can take that away from me. Everything I do is done because I want to. My whole life was wasted taking orders, and I won?t let anyone do the same anymore.?
?But they are,? Edikeo continued to argue, a puddle of deep, red blood forming at his feet. ?Just look at your companion over there. Would you have fought me if he hadn?t led you here and told you to? Your entire life is being controlled. I was serious before, the world is better off without you.?
Valk appeared to break at that moment, and furiously he took the Reaper and raised it above his head before swinging down for his own son?s neck. The strike would have been deadly, but at the last moment Edikeo vanished. The weapon struck the side of the dome and embedded itself deeply, yet Valk wasn?t worried. He had already forgotten it and was searching the surrounding area for Edikeo, but he didn?t appear.
?He?s gone,? Bob announced as he walked over to the sword. Without even looking at it he tore it violently out of the steel and handed it back to Valk. ?Take no notice of him. He?s just a child, rebellious by nature, he doesn?t know what he?s talking about.?
?Right,? Valk answered, calming down slightly, and also not sounding too convinced. ?If you need to keep me alive, then why didn?t you help??
?You know why. I wasn?t fated to interrupt. I had to let it play out in such a way. Of course, I knew you would succeed in driving him away. You can rest now. There?s an abandoned bedroom not too far from this dome.?
Without waiting for a response, Bob began to make his way towards the door they had used to enter, yet Valk didn?t follow for a number of moments. Why were they leaving through that door? If the exit was they way they had came, that meant that they wouldn?t have had to enter in the first place. And on top of that, how had Bob known exactly when Zyro would appear? At first he put it down to his knowledge of destiny, but there was something else he couldn?t explain; Why had he appeared to him when Bob had wanted him to?

Valk followed Bob to the bedroom in silence. It was simple, with a number of beds and a small amount of elemental lights. Apart from that, there was nothing, but it felt could to rest. That night, Valk didn?t speak, but lay awake staring at the ceiling without budging until morning.

Oh, moderate epicness. Reviews please.
Sig and avy by Jam Jar

Sotek Posted: 14:37 Mar05 2008 Post ID: 2144755
Sotek
+
Only moderate? I want full epicness dammit!

Okay, here we go with the review. First off, yay, fic! I do wonder whether Bob (grr) was lying when he told Valk that he was fated to reject the plan to kill Spartzan. He would have expected Valk to go against Fate and agree, andValk saw through the trick. That's an interesting point anyway.

The fight against Edikeo was pretty awsome, and I expect the boy to play a major role in the story later on. No complaints about that bit, as it didn't have the word "Bob" plastered all over it.

Finally, I predict that Bob's real name is Roberto. No perticular reason, it would just suit him. Although no as well as Ra'Gash would.

Cataclysm Posted: 01:31 Mar06 2008 Post ID: 2145699
Cataclysm
+
Wait.

That's an interesting concept. And I have an extremely interesting (I think.) plot twist planned. You'll just have to wait and see won't you.

You may like his real name... or not. It's a surprise.

Also, to anyone who reads this... what do you think of Valk as a character? In personality, appearance, fighting skill, from any angle really.
Sig and avy by Jam Jar

Cataclysm Posted: 12:47 Apr01 2008 Post ID: 2179400
Cataclysm
+
This double post be legal. New chapta!

Chapter 33: Avenging

Bob stretched and yawned deeply as he stood up, almost springing out of his simple bed having regained his energy after a decent night of sleep. Valk?s eyes were red however, red with fatigue as still he lay on the spot with his hands behind his head, staring at one invisible point on the ceiling above. Walking over to the immobile character, Bob placed his hand on Valk?s shoulder and sighed, biting his bottom lip and looking down at his companion.
?Life?s hard,? he shrugged half heartedly, before walking away without a second look and heading for the door. ?Get up and get moving or you get left behind.?
Valk nodded, still partially in a state of thought, and slowly pulled himself from the hard, back aching furniture as he got onto his feet. Seemingly without thinking he bent over and picked up his sword, straightened himself back up and began to follow Bob out, once again into the incredible dome. The sudden amount of artificial light seemed to stun him for a moment, given the darkness of the bedroom, waking him from his trance-like state.
?Where are we going?? Valk called out passively as he came to his senses. ?Will this help me find my son somehow??
?Maybe, why?? Bob responded as he reached the other side of the dome. In front of him was a door, and in a moment he had gone through, leaving Valk to run towards the exit with the hope of having his questions answered.
?Because it?s my son, and I want to know where he is.? He continued as he caught up with Bob. They stood in yet another dome, equal in size with a door of the exact same appearance on the other side. The cloaked leader of the pair was already half way across and seemed to be showing no sign of slowing down.
?To apologise?? came Bob?s voice once again. Valk had almost caught up completely, but stopped suddenly as the other once again threw a question at him.
?Of course not,? Valk stated slowly, thinking before each word. ?Why would I? I have my objectives, and he tried to get in the way of those goals. Being my son, I couldn?t let him force his own opinions onto me.?
?You almost killed him,? said Bob, also stopping and swerving around to face Valk. ?And I?m presuming that is he hadn?t escaped like that you would have taken his life without a second thought. Am I right??
Valk remained silent for a moment, looking down at his sword as it gleamed in the light being cast down upon them. The blood of many enemies ran along the surface like the visible veins of a human body, as if pulsating through the steel, forming a living being itself, though he could never imagine consuming his own family.
?I would never take his life by choice,? Valk chose as his answer. ?Though you?re no better. You wouldn?t feel any remorse in killing Spartzan, would you??
?No,? Bob admitted with a shrug. ?I wouldn?t. But, seeing as I know you would wipe your own son from the planes of existence is he ever got in the way again, I know you?re on the right path. You?ll be facing a lot of tough decisions in the future, and you seem more or less ready.?
?I won?t kill Zyro!? Valk retaliated, his fierce voice echoing throughout the area. Bob smiled and turned back around with his finger raised, shaking from side to side.
?Don?t tell lies. If you had to choose between the power you pursue and him, I know that the choice would be clear.?
?And what makes you think you can judge me?? Valk spat. ?I don?t care how much of my future you claim to know-?
?Just follow me to the surface,? Bob sighed, cutting Valk off as he continued to walk onwards. ?Words aren?t worth much. If you want to prove this to me that badly, then you can demonstrate it with actions.?
Valk was left in silence, without a comeback or anything to saw whatsoever. His lip was bleeding in small amounts as his front teeth dug in out of frustration. How could anyone think that he was that twisted as to kill his own son just for his own gain??
As Bob opened the next door, Valk noticed that there was only darkness outside. They were about to leave the domes once again and enter the canyon, until Valk finally found something to say.
?I can understand why Zyro would attack me, but why did he appear at that moment yesterday? What do you know that I don?t.?
?An endless amount of things. So much that it would take until tomorrow to explain even half of it all? briefly. Besides, I thought Zyro wanted to be called Edikeo now. I have to admit, it does sound a lot better than the name you chose, or was that Failen??
?It was a joint decision,? Valk grunted, his fingers clenching into a fist. ?Now stop avoiding the subject. What information do you possess regarding Zyro that I should know??
?That you should know?? Bob began, still smiling as if enjoying Valk?s frustration. ?Nothing. But I assure you that I know plenty of things that you shouldn?t know.?
In that moment Valk felt his anger truly rise within, but he knew that by attacking Bob head on he would be committing suicide. And apart from that, he was the only ally that he could rely on to help him in the fight against Spartzan?s forces at that moment. Valk simply swallowed his fury and took a deep breath, untightening his fingers and looking once again towards the door.
?Lead the way.? Valk said with an obviously false smile. Bob nodded in response and stepped into the exterior, followed by Valk moments afterwards.

Nothing happened. Despite the hours they travelled through the blackness, they weren?t attacked or disturbed in any way at all even once. The only sounds that could be heard were the heavy steps of the pair as they moved on step by step without a word being spoken. There was one time when Valk could have sworn that there was a speck of eerie light in the distance, but put it down to his imagination. After that, there was nothing, until Bob stopped, turned around and threw his arms into the air.

?This is taking longer than I thought,? he shouted, for the first time showing negative emotion. ?Maybe we?ve been going in the wrong direction.?
?What?? Valk roared, perhaps two times louder then Bob had complained. His face scrunched up into a frown, and it seemed his left eye was even beginning to twitch. For a moment they both remained in silence, until the leader of them both began to burst into laughter.
?Tricking you could have cost a bundle, but that face was priceless,? Bob blurted out, receiving no reaction whatsoever from Valk as the latter merely stood on the spot, once again biting his lip. ?The good news is though, that we haven?t got much further to go. We just head to the left and carry on going up. In an hour or so we?ll reach the surface again. What have you got to say to that??
?Nothing.? Valk hissed violently, though trying to express any anger. Then, Bob snorted and began to continue leading the way as he had done before.
?You need to develop a sense of humour,? he snorted. ?Here I am, trying to lighten the mood, and you just stay the same way as before.?
?Why would I want the mood lightened? My fate is in your hands, my son has sworn to stop me and has vanished, I have the reigning empire after me and the same object that I?m pursuing, and on top of everything I need a drink. How can you expect me to find a joke like that funny??
?You make a very good point,? Bob conceived to Valk as he returned, patted Valk on the shoulder for the second time that day, and then made his way back to his route. ?Just stay behind me and we?ll be in a town soon. If things don?t go how I think they will, you?ll be able to get a drink and a bite to eat there.?
?If things don?t go how you think they will?? Valk sighed, allowing his shoulders to fall as he threw his head back and shut his eyes. ?How high are the chances of that happening??
?So low you might as well just give up hoping.? Bob responded in a positive tone, beckoning for Valk to follow.
Valk followed, and continued to walk with Bob up a hill that began only minutes later. He still couldn?t see ahead of him, but he could tell it was getting gradually steeper until it reached the point where he was gasping for breath and wishing he had his wings back.
?Not long now.? Bob advised cheerfully with a worn out Valk metres behind after half an hour of constant ascending.
?Still not long,? he continued when they both reached an hour without even seeing a spec of sunlight above.
It was after another twenty minutes, when Valk finally thought he could see a light source somewhere ahead, yet Bob simply dismissed it as Valk?s imagination, and urged him to carry on for another thirty minutes, which was when true light came into view.
?We?re there!? Bob announced excitedly. Valk could see that his personality had changed after sleeping, and that he seemed a lot happier. Either he really did just need refreshing, or something good was to happen today.
?By �there` you mean another hour of going up, right?? Valk gasped, having forgotten his fury completely and now more obsessed with getting out of the canyon. The climb hadn?t affected Bob in the slightest who had stopped some distance ahead.
?No, we?re there.? Bob replied. As Valk arrived at his position, he felt the ground suddenly level out and change material. Upon his foot striking the floor, it seemed it was made of wood.
?Still no light,? Valk grumbled as he tried to feel his way around. ?Where are we??
?We?re in a town? in a shed to be exact,? Bob answered. Just then, in his palm, a sphere of dark energy spiralled into existence, before being suddenly flung randomly forwards. The shed walls burst into dark flame, causing Valk to gasp and run for the opposite side with his sword at he ready. With one slash he took down most of the poorly built building?s side, along with a number of farming materials, and tumbled outside onto soft, green grass, bathed in shocking sunlight.
?Get up.? Bob ordered seeing Valk as he crashed through the wood and rolled onto the grass. He left the burning shed seconds later, grabbed Valk under the arm and heaved him up from the dirt. ?Now?s not the time to be lying down.?
?Seems a good enough time to me,? Valk replied, stretching his arms out with his weapon still in tow. ?The Gears can wait for now.? He continued assertively, already beginning to fall asleep despite the fact he was now standing.
?The Gears can wait, but there are some things that can?t!? Bob said, now sounding much more serious than before. Valk blinked his eyes open again to see Bob glaring violently into his own eyes. His arm was pointing somewhere off to the left, and so, Valk followed it, only to continue watching in shock at the sight ahead. It was small village, full of many wooden buildings not much larger than the shed they had just been in. Flaming lanterns lined the green, natural paths between each edifice. They appeared to be built in layered circles around the centre, each and every one facing the middle of the town where there was an incredibly large disk like surface of pure black. What shocked Valk wasn?t the strangely placed circumference, but what stood upon it. Over a dozen figures clad in bright, golden armour where patrolling the area, bodies of the dead strewn across the ground at their feet, impaled mercilessly. As Valk looked over, he could see one of the golden warriors holding up a long sword in one hand, with what appeared to be a small child sliding down towards the hilt, the blade pierced through his stomach, emerging from the back. Before Valk or Bob could even react, the attacker lowered his sword to waist height and raised his leg until his foot was pressing against the child?s chest, who turned out to be a girl of only more or less six years of age. With one push, the body came rushing off the weapon before thudding to the ground, writhing in agony, clearly still alive. Just then, the one with sword raised it, preparing to swing it down through the girl?s neck.
?Stop!? called out a gruff voice from the other side of the black disc. Valk almost charged forwards to attack as he saw the emitter come into view. The one who had just stabbed the girl continued to hold his weapon in the air, ready to let it fall at any moment like a guillotine, but his boss? orders were to be followed.
?You know who that is right?? Bob asked, despite the stupidity of the question.
?Of course I do,? Valk answered, constantly watching the man who had given the order to stop. ?These are Spartzan?s forces. And that?s Garzavath.? He stated obviously as the muscle-bound man reached his minion.
?What are your orders?? Garzavath asked, the other already shuddering in his armour before his Lord?s presence.
?Kill all those old enough to fight, and make sure not to deform them in any way,? the soldier responded with a stutter. ?They must be kept in form to house the souls.?
?Well recited,? Garzavath complemented with a smile. ?But, answer me one question. Does this girl look old enough to fight to you??
?No, my Lord,? the soldier answered, stepping back bit by bit whilst also lowering his weapon slowly. At that moment, Garzavath knelt down next to the girl and smiled kindly.
?I?m sorry he had to do that to you,? he began, rubbing her cheek with the back of his immense hand. Her blonde hair was weaving through his fingers, and for a moment he seemed emotional. ?We never meant to harm anyone of your age when we came here. Are your parents dead yet??
Despite the pain, and the fact that she was losing a blood at an alarming rate, the girl nodded, whilst whimpering in a manner that would cause even a heart of stone to shatter in pity.
?Well, little girl, I?m afraid that what?s done is done, and you?re beyond repair now. Goodnight.?
Garzavath reached out with two fingers and shut her eyes before standing up and sighing. Without warning, he brought his foot back and suddenly slammed it into the still breathing girl?s face, extinguishing her life in an instant.
?Exceptions can be made,? he growled to the soldier who now stood with his mouth gaping open as the body of the girl tumbled through the grass under the force of the kick. ?Just make sure no more little ones die. Load her body into the carts, but make sure I can find her later. You?ll be taken care of when we return to Olim Merkabah.?
The soldier nodded and ran instantly over to where the body hand ended it?s trajectory, and Garzavath turned to leave, yet as he did so, a loud noise erupted from behind both Valk and Bob. The pair of them turned around, only to see the burning shed collapse completely. It was only when they faced the centre of the town once again when they noticed that perhaps everyone present there had found them out when they had looked to see where the noise had come from.
?Well, isn?t that typical.? Bob groaned, throwing his arms up and walking towards the crowd of amassing men in armour, making sure he didn?t step on any bodies out of respect. Valk simply stayed back, watching as from all sides warriors began to emerge, flanking Bob as he strode towards the centre. The sudden crunch of dead grass nearby then caught his attention, and he was just fast enough to turn around and thrust his weapon into the chest of teenage boy with a pitchfork in hand.
?Damn,? Valk spat as the boy with wiry brown hair looked into his eyes with both pupils almost jittering in shock. ?I thought you were one of them,? Valk began to explain as he saw blood began to seep out. ?Why did you come out? Didn?t you see what was happening??
?The girl? with blonde hair,? he began, trying perhaps too hard to get his words out. ?She was my sister? I came out to help her when she ran out of the house.?
?I?m sorry,? Valk sighed, pulling his sword out slowly, trying not to cut the boy any more than he already had. Slowly, he lay the body down on the ground, and thrust his weapon suddenly into the teen?s heart, taking his life quickly. ?Not for your sister, but I?ll make sure Garzavath ends up like the both of you, along with Spartzan.? He finished as he withdrew his weapon in a spurt of blood over his legs. He then turned to face the town centre once again to see a grand mass surrounding what he presumed was Bob. The circle was closing in, but no-one was looking out behind. Valk smiled and twirled his sword swiftly, ready to take part in yet another battle.
Sig and avy by Jam Jar

Sotek Posted: 09:16 Apr04 2008 Post ID: 2184086
Sotek
+
Would have posted here yesterday, but I was too tired.

This chapter was a little strange, I thought. One minute they're running up a cliff path, and the next they're inside a shed? Or did I misread that?

Also, has Valk always been that jumpy? And he's using an energy sword, right?

However, I can see that the next chapter will have even more bloodshed, which seems characteristic of this fic, and will likley result in Garzavath being killed. Looking forward to it!

Cataclysm Posted: 10:28 Apr04 2008 Post ID: 2184122
Cataclysm
+
Ah, seems I forgot the part where they push the door in the floor open, to gain access to the shed.

Not really, but a night without sleep and having to almost kill your own son can I have that effect... supposedly. He does have an energy sword, yes, but the stabbing was caused by his original weapon.
Sig and avy by Jam Jar

Sotek Posted: 15:03 Apr04 2008 Post ID: 2184314
Sotek
+
The one that drains power and gives it to him? I thought he lost that while he was falling into the canyon with Bob?

Cataclysm Posted: 03:13 Apr05 2008 Post ID: 2185155
Cataclysm
+
No, I think I clearly stated that Bob taught him how to call it back whenever he lost it.

Yep, it's all in chapter 31, I just read it. Maybe it's because I took so long to write this one up.
Sig and avy by Jam Jar

Sotek Posted: 06:12 Apr05 2008 Post ID: 2185199
Sotek
+
Ooh, I forgot about that. Oh well, Bump so we can have the next chapter when it's done.

King of Hell Posted: 17:40 Apr06 2008 Post ID: 2187557
King of Hell
+
Alright, I've been away for a while, and I'll read all this and edit comments in. Posting to let you know that this is not abandoned.

Cataclysm Posted: 12:32 Apr08 2008 Post ID: 2189682
Cataclysm
+
Chapter 34: Alpha Battle

A soldier clad in golden armour slowly manoeuvred his way around the large circle of Spartzan?s forces that had gathered around Bob. He couldn?t see past his constantly moving allies, but if what he had heard in the last few seconds was true then they would be wiped out sooner or later. Throughout the crowds he had heard that Spartzan?s own father had appeared on the scene.
It happened in an instant. As he tried to jump to try and see if he could see over the heads, he realised that for some reason he hadn?t returned to solid ground. Looking down, he saw the steel blade of a blood coated sword protruding from his stomach area, suspending him in the air. Then the pain hit, but disappeared as the sword suddenly withdrew out his back once again and was slashed through his throat in a brutal decapitation.
Valk kicked the body aside and allowed the familiar spark of energy increase to once again run through him. As insignificant as the soul of an ordinary human was, every little helped, and there were more than a few victims in the area, including Garzavath himself. Due to the fact that he couldn?t be seen anywhere, it was to be presumed that he was somewhere near Bob, probably locked in a duel.
It took one more rapid, horizontal slash from Valk to slice through the waist areas of three more soldiers, causing them to fall apart instantly, to gain the attention of the others. As one to the left turned to see what exactly had happened to his fallen comrades, he caught the sight of Valk in the corner of his eye before being struck by a sudden bolt of black lightning that Valk emitted from his out held palm.
?There?s another one of them,? finally called out a surviving warrior who had been alerted to Valk?s completely non stealthy presence. ?We?re being attacked from both sides. It?s an ambush!?
As he finished, another, somewhat larger soldier pushed him out of the way and marched towards Valk, wielding a surprisingly long triple pronged spear. Unlike the others, his armour was much thicker, and with each step he took Valk could feel a slight vibration in the ground.
?He?s only one man, what are you so worried about?? he snorted, taking his weapon in both hands and suddenly thrusting it towards Valk?s torso. Valk smiled and took one step back, just out of the reach of the glistening centre spike. Before his opponent could retract the weapon however, Valk grabbed the pole and wrenched it from its wielder?s grasp. In the blink of an eye he had spun it around over his head, and the offensive end was now facing its previous owner.
?I see?? the large brute said without a hint of fear. ?No matter, I still have my good ol? fists.?
No one else dared to close in on Valk as their ally made a short charge towards their attacker. As he pulled his right arm back to throw a punch, Valk swung the spear vertically upwards, slicing through the shoulder of the other and taking off his arm completely.
?Convinced that you should just turn around now?? Valk smirked as he spun the spear around skilfully along with his sword in his other hand.
??Tis but a scratch.? He responded as if not even noticing the pain, or the blood spurting uncontrollably over his companions. One dared to lunge for Valk with a shortsword, only to have hit gut sliced open by a sudden slash from Valk?s own sword. As the victor looked away from his falling enemy, his expression turned to confusion.
?A scratch? Your arm?s off!? he blurted out, seemingly bewildered. He had seen such resistance to pain in Varlerians, and in Frakxuja, but never in a regular human being.
?No it isn?t.? the soldier replied confidently, flexing his remaining arm and clenching his fist violently with a horrible crunch.
?Well what?s then?? Valk questioned, using the spear to point out the writhing arm on the ground. By now, the crowd around them had backed away, leaving them in a suitably large, arena like area where they would be able to battle comfortably.
?You?ll never be able to beat the Golden Knight,? shouted one of the many soldiers observing the scene. ?No matter what you do, he won?t give up. You?ve lost.?
As he finished, black flame began to flow through Valk?s sword, before spiralling away from the tip and incinerating he who had recently spoken. It didn?t take long for the doomed, flailing body to be reduced to a pile of dust that was blown aside by the calm day?s breeze. By the time Valk looked back, the Golden Knight seemed to have realised that his arm was indeed now lying on the ground, flopping pathetically before finally calming down and allowing blood to seep out of where it had been cleanly hacked away.
?I?ve had worse.? the knight said confidently. In an instant he was running to the side, as if circling Valk. Valk himself simply watched his opponent, until he realised where he was heading. Before anything could be done, the Golden Knight ran to where the inferno consumed soldier had been and reached down to the ground with his remaining arm, picking up the floored weapon before holding it out towards Valk?s chest from more or less seven metres away.
?You liar!? came a somewhat disgruntled voice from the surrounding crowd. Neither the knight nor Valk could tell who it had been, but it was evident that he, or she, wasn?t a fan of the Golden Knight.
?Come on, you pansy!? the newly armed warrior called, running once again towards his target. With surprising strength, he swung the sword in an arc over his right side, bringing it downwards towards Valk, who side-stepped the attack, and brought the spear down to his side, effectively holding the sword in the earth. With the knight still holding his weapon, Valk took the opportunity to use his own sword in a rapid motion, removing his opponent?s second arm in the blink of an eye.
?Victory is mine.? Valk said with the slightest hint of a smug smile. Without wanting to waste any time, he pushed the knight backwards, causing him to fall onto his back. No longer paying attention, he walked past the squirming man on the ground and held out the spear, turning slowly, making sure everyone saw his face at least once.
?Who?s next then?? he roared. Silence had fallen on the surrounding area, but Valk could tell that probably in another circle, Garzavath and Bob were having their own battle.
?Oh?had enough, eh?? came a voice from behind Valk. Before he could turn around, the Golden Knight was running towards him, and leapt feet first in a corkscrew through the air, slamming into the clear victor and knocking down onto his face. The spear rolled out of reach, yet the Reaper remained within Valk?s grasp. Valk pushed himself back up onto his feet, only to see the knight now standing before him, both stumps bobbing up and down as he hopped side to side in a combat motion.
?Look, you stupid *******, you?ve got no arms left!? Valk explained, now sounding more than a little irritated as he attempted to brush the dirt from his armour.
?Just a flesh wound!? the knight responded, running over to Valk once again, this time attempting a jump kick. Valk simply grabbed the leg as it drew near and swung his attacker around, tossing him so that he rolled along the ground and stopped at the feet of the observers.
?Just stop!? Valk ordered, holding out his own sword menacingly.
?Chicken! Chicken!? the other replied as his allies helped him back up. The same pair had presumably helped him before, but they would die with the rest.
?I?ll have you leg!? stated Valk, now enticed by his opponent?s taunts. In a matter of seconds he had reached the knight?s position, and without any chance of failing he slashed once and watched as the third limb fell away from its body. Now hopping, the golden clad man could be seen glaring through his helmet.
?Right, I?ll do you for that.? he affirmed under his breath.
?You?ll what?? Valk answered, now almost laughing, along with a number of those watching.
?Come ?ere!? the other simply bellowed. Valk took a step back as the Golden Knight hopped towards him, just to show how easily he could escape.
?What are you going to do, bleed on me?? he mocked, causing a murmur to run through the watchers of the epic battle.
?I?m invincible!? roared the knight, causing those around him to cheer out of respect, or pity.
?You?re a looney.? Valk announced to all calmly, as he turned around and once again moved into a battle stance with his back turned to the knight as he prepared to face the dozens of enemies around him.
?The Golden Knight always triumphs!? came the battle cry a short distance behind. ?Have at you!?
Valk shrugged and spun back around. As he did so, he held his weapon out at his side, and by the time he had turned 180 degrees, the fourth limb had been taken off, leaving the knight on the ground with nothing but a torso and a head.
?Okay, we?ll call it a draw.? He mumbled as Valk shook his head. The victorious warrior took one step back, before suddenly running forwards and delivering a forceful kick to the still living soldier, who was sent through the air and through the door of an abandoned house with a heavy crash. As soon as the sound subsided, those around Valk burst into an angered roar, and immediately began to close in. As a total of seven swords all lunged towards Valk at the same time, he summoned an orb of dark energy momentarily around himself, shredding through all those who had attacked first and a number of those who hadn?t been able to reach him. As soon as it faded, he leapt into the air and held his palms facing downwards. Dark flame ran down his forearms, accumulating in his palms in the form of a sphere of flame energy. From the lower half, a column of fire was released, causing into the ground and expanding as a blazing inferno that began to grow gradually. The force being emitted launched Valk upwards, tumbling in a graceful manner. As he was airborne, he threw his sword down towards the orb of destruction. It vanished within. Moments later, the firestorm began to spiral uncontrollably with a new form of white energy flooding like snakes of energy around its edges. Anyone caught within was wiped out in an instant, yet as soon as it had appeared it vanished, seeming to implode, sucked into the weapon that now sat embedded in the ground. A not-so-deep crater of smoking grass had been formed in a large vicinity around it, yet Valk had only just reached the height of his ascent and was beginning to plummet. As he fell, he could see just how large the village was. It was a perfect circle, and in the centre was the disk he had seen earlier, where both Bob and Garzavath were waging a battle. Between their battle and his own were a number of Spartzan?s men, who appeared to be caught between helping their lord and attacking the source of the sudden explosion or dark fire. As he observed the chaotic scene, he noticed his sphere subside, leaving his weapon open to all, and just as he suspected, one soldier seemed to be heading for it already. Whether the power contained within could be harnessed or not he didn?t know, but it wasn?t worth waiting to see. Instinctively, he broke out of his tumbled and began to plummet head first with his hand stretched out ahead of him as he focused on the souls contained within his weapon. As before, he saw the Reaper vibrate slightly, whilst at the same time the soldier reached it and wrapped his fingers around the hilt. Before he could realise what was happening the sword leapt upwards, spinning so that it was rising hilt first, towards Valk. The man held on for his life as it rose rapidly, his body swinging from side to side as with one hand he attempted not o let go, yet was cut deeply numerous times. By the time it reached it?s falling owner, the doomed man was dripping blood from a number of locations on his body, but wouldn?t be for much longer. No sooner had Valk grabbed the hilt, he swung his fist into the man?s face, knocking him away, screaming as he fell and crashed into the ground helplessly. Just to make sure he was truly dead, Valk held the point of his sword ahead, so that when he reached the surface once again it impaled the corpse through the centre. As the metal pierced the ground, Valk pushed used the impact as impulse and launched himself from his weapon, ending his fall in a roll, directly in the centre of his opponents. Less than a second later, a spear had been thrust towards Valk?s torso, yet failed in doing any damage as Valk leapt to his feet and by sweeping his foot to the side knocked the first attacker to the floor.
Before anyone else could even attempt to hurt him, he had his hand ready, and summoned his weapon back. As if meeting no resistance whatsoever, it returned to him, slashing through anyone in its way like a saw as it span. Valk caught it perfectly by the hilt, and immediately swung it diagonally downwards in front of him, splicing open the shoulder of one man and continuing the cut down to the waist until the victim fell apart. As it cut through, a sickle of energy in the form of a crescent moon leapt from the sword?s edge, taking another number of lives as it bulldozered through the crowds in a perfectly straight line.
?Enough!? hollered a voice from Valk?s left. His sword had just cut open the heart of one unlucky soldier, but he also stopped as he saw that those facing him had withdrawn away, leaving an open path leading from Valk directly towards the form of Garzavath, who was marching from the disk area towards him.
?You defeated Bob?? Valk questioned, holding the hilt of the Reaper tensely at his side, sounding shocked and surprised, but also intrigued.
?Of course not,? Garzavath responded, in a manner that seemed to ensue that Valk?s question had been of the highest stupidity. ?He left, because he wanted to.?
?And you didn?t try to stop him??
?No, he?s Spartzan?s father. Only respect can be shown towards him.?
?Then explain why you were fighting only minutes ago.? Valk ordered, now more confused than anything.
?It was what he wanted. He also told me to deliver this message to you: If you survive, I will be in the sky fortress ruins.? Garzavath explained. Not a soul around him budged as they held their weapons in respect. A smile spread across the lord?s face.
?If I survive? But he needs me alive... and why are you taking orders from him and not Spartzan??
?It wouldn?t be too smart to disobey a man of such power, which is why I wouldn?t dare to go against him or Spartzan. I was fighting him simply because he wished to ?check if everything was as it was before.? He didn?t give me any more answers. All that I know is that I?m supposed to go all out against you now, and to be honest I would feel no remorse in killing a traitor like yourself. I don?t have to take you back to Olim Merkabah this time.? Came Garzavath?s answer. He seemed as proud as always, but had openly admitted to taking orders from another in front of Spartzan?s army itself.
?I guess I?ll have to save the questions for later then,? Valk shrugged as he twirled the Reaper within his fingers. ?Although there is one I would like to ask you now. Do you honestly think that sucking up to anyone higher than you will honestly delay your death? Seems rather cowardly to be honest.?
Garzavath suddenly glared at Valk, his own closed eyes meeting with the anticipating eyes of Valk, which were waiting for an answer.
?Would a coward be ready to take your life now?? Garzavath responded in an angered manner as he gripped both his curved, serrated blade and his chained mace with fury. As he spoke, the ground began to shake violently, causing a large portion of soldiers to fall over. Valk however remained defiant and attempted not to move in the slightest, succeeding in doing so.
?I guess you could try, but just remember, no amount of sucking up can save you from me. I won?t stop until I get what I want.?
Silence hung over the area as the earth began to crack slightly, reaching from the outskirts of the village and rushing towards Garzavath who stood in the centre of the black disk. He suddenly frowned as his crevices stopped upon reaching the black surface, as if stopped by some sort of invisible force. He bit his tongue and nodded as if accepting that his power had limits and slowly began to swing the chained, spiked ball above his head.
?Won?t stop hey? We?ll see if?? he was cut of by a voice coming from the sidelines as the crowds backed away leaving the full disk open as their arena.
?He really won?t,? the voice seemed familiar. Valk looked over and broke into a smirk as he saw one warrior holding a limbless body along with another. Between the two was the remains of the Golden Knight, who by some sort of miracle, that Valk presumed was the Life Curse, was still alive. ?Good luck to you m? Lord. He?s a tough one.?

Everyone's referenced that film so far, I think. I was just jumping onto the bandwagon.
Sig and avy by Jam Jar

Sotek Posted: 13:12 Apr09 2008 Post ID: 2190674
Sotek
+
'Tis the Black Knight from Monty Python and the Holy Grail!

As for the chapter, it seems that Valk is getting more and more accompished with his abilities and weapons, which is a good thing!

No complaints here, other than the use of the name Bob. Also, I'm looking forward to the fight in the next chapter!

Cataclysm Posted: 12:48 Apr10 2008 Post ID: 2191977
Cataclysm
+
Warning: Not much speech here. Much walls of text! I'm also not sure whether I managed to pull of the description in this chapter without being confusing.

Chapter 35: The Inner Souls

The battle began as Garzavath let loose his chain, the spiked ball at the end rushing in Valk?s direction mercilessly. Already anticipating the attack, Valk rolled to the side and as soon as he finished allowed a spiral of flame to run down his arm and cause towards Garzavath. The Lord of Earth simply took hold of his sheathed blade at his waist, and using his free hand drew it in a loud scrape, the blade extinguishing the dark fire in the blink of an eye. The sword was just as impressive as last time, with its golden hilt and large, curved, serrated edge. As he defended himself from the flame launched at him, he swung the pole in his other hand back, and began to draw the chain back in. Valk wasted no time in taking advantage. Still crouching from his previous roll, he pushed upwards with his feet and took off, running towards Garzavath with the Reaper held out horizontally. As he drew closer, he reached for his side and took hold of the wooden hilt he had previously forgotten and whipped it from his waist. With it now within his grasp, blue, electrical energy began to surge around it, before leaping out from either end and solidifying into two sword ends. Hanging from his wrist was also his chained jewel, dangling next to the Reaper, hidden from Garzavath?s view. At least he had one thing he could use that Garzavath didn?t know about.
As Valk arrived, he swung with both swords horizontally, the double ended weapon being turned slightly so that both ends would be able to slash at the Lord?s chest whilst his other came rushing down towards the legs. Without even a change of expression, Garzavath knocked both sides of the dual katana with the small pole, and parried the low blow with his own sword, knocking Valk back, but not out of reach. As the Lord lunged forwards with his grieves towards Valk?s stomach, Valk held out the jewel and concentrated a sudden pulse of energy into his opponent?s face. Both connected, sending Valk to the floor as he received the full force of the kick and knocking Garzavath back through the air and slamming into the ground. Despite his weight, the disk they were fighting on showed no sign of damage, neither did either of the warriors.
All around them, the crowd was silent, not wanting to interfere in a battle between fighters of such class. Occasionally one would take a step forwards, but someone at their side would always hold them back.
Both Valk and Garzavath leapt back up onto their feet at the same time, but neither dared to attack directly once again. Valk simply began to side step around the Lord, with both of his weapons held up defensively. Garzavath however remained in the centre, before suddenly bringing his arm up swiftly. Upon command, the earth behind him began to shake, yet never affecting the platform, before suddenly erupting violently. A number of soldiers were knocked aside, and the majority of them shocked, as a column of earth began to rise up at an incredible speed. All the while, Garzavath didn?t even look back, simply maintaining his arm in the air whilst concentrating on Valk, who had merely flicked his eyes over to see what had happened before returning his concentration to the Earth Lord. Then, Garzavath brought his arm slowly downwards, and behind him the column began to descend, with the bottom all the while rising up from the seemingly never ending source of earth below. Gradually, Garzavath began to move his hand gracefully, all the while keeping hold of his mace as the chain finally coiled up completely inside the pole. The snake of stone and dirt descending above him began to follow his movements, moving with the same precision, but extreme speed due to its size. Within seconds the tip had almost reached Valk, who was stuck between defending himself from the rigid, curving pillar extending towards him, or the Lord who could attack at any second.
It was too late to decide. Just as the stone was about to collide with him, Valk ran to the side, just avoiding the monstrous snake of stone as it came to impact the disk with a horrible crash. Despite this, the surface stayed strong, with the earth creation crumbling slightly. Garzavath frowned as he saw Valk escape, before raising his arm up once again. From the ground, the tip of his summoned earth leaned back up, before turning to face Valk, who was still running around the perimeter of the area, unable to leave due to the blockade of warriors. The stone behind him was more animal-like than anything, as it closed in on him guided by Garzavath?s conduction. It was too large to stop, and would never tire, so escape wasn?t an option. On top of that, it was closing in on Valk as he ran. Just as it was about to catch his heels, it lurched upwards before curving into an ark and heading directly downwards towards Valk, who continued to flee. As it connected with the disk for a second time, Valk just managed to escape, but the heavy thud and unbearable noise of the slam was too much for him and too close, sending Valk tumbling to the ground.
Now more than a little worried, he rolled over so that he was on his back and gaped up as the living earth without a face or emotions once again rose and prepared to crash back down on top of him. As it descended, Valk scrambled to his feet, and began to run closer to the centre of the disk, and for the third time avoided a messy death. This time he was ready. As the vibrations of the crunch rushed through the surface, Valk swerved around to face the creation and aimed his jewel to the floor behind his back. After a second of concentration, the pulse boomed from the chained stone, sending Valk soaring through the air directly towards the still grounded earth beast. Whilst he was still airborne, it began to rise, before turning to face him once again. There was still some distance between them as Valk degenerated his electrical blade and placed the hilt at his waist once again. As he did so, the inanimate monster began to surge in his direction. Gripping his sword tightly, Valk held it above his head and as there were merely inches between him and Garzavath?s creation, he plunged his sword into the surface.
He was now hanging from the front of the snaking pillar, which in its ascent was now a great distance away from the ground, but Garzavath had already made his next move. With surprising violence, he brought his arm rushing down, causing his summoning to do the same, with Valk still holding on for his life he plunged. If it reached the ground with him still at the front, he would be crushed between both the ground and it, and so with a burst of strength he pulled himself up, despite the force of gravity above. With both hands he continued to hold onto the hilt, but between it and his shoulders he bent his legs in a frog like form and looked to his side. If the summoned stone was descending faster than the speed at which he would fall, then he would be able to jump out of its way, wait for it to plunge past him and grab onto the side. If he fell faster, it would mean death. Without a second thought, he pushed off with his legs, aiming downwards slightly so as not to slam straight into the earth as it fell, and leapt. In no time at all he had cleared its radius, and was now free falling at the snake?s side, but had jumped too far, and the ground was closing in fast. Instinctively, he summoned his still stuck sword to his grasp, and too hold of the hilt as it returned. How he used it was another life deciding decision. Bringing it over his shoulder, he leaned back in the air and threw it forcefully into the side of the plummeting stone, where it embedded itself deeply. Following this, he carefully aimed the jewel at the hilt and let loose a pulse, pushing the weapon further into the stone until it was dug in to the hilt. If he could summon the sword to him, then maybe it would work vice versa.
As he attempted to bring it back to him, he saw it vibrate as it slowly feel away from him, yet he fired another impulse blast into the hilt, deepening it once again. He could feel himself being pulled towards the weapon as it was unable to return, gradually. Once again it began to withdraw itself from it?s embedment, yet Valk once again knocked it back in and began to draw closer to the moving surface, until finally he had reached the side and grabbed on to both the hilt of the Reaper and the rigid surface. Now he would just have to hold on as it hit.
Surely enough, it did, slamming into the ground and almost causing Valk to let go, yet he held on as painful vibrations were sent rippling through his bones. When the shockwaves came to an end, it reached back up into the air once again, revealing a slightly angered Garzavath far below. As long as Valk stayed on the summoned stone he was safe from being crushed, and Garzavath appeared to be aware of that.
?Any more tricks up your sleeve?? Valk called down as he held onto the side with little effort. The worm-like? thing was now straightening itself out horizontally as it ascended yet again, whilst twisting bit by bit, until halting to a stop, leaving Valk on top with nothing around him to see but the blue sky and snow white clouds. Due to the size of the now immobile platform, he couldn?t see below without walking over to the edge, which he did when he finally managed to pull his sword from the stone. As he leaned over, he saw that the summoning had spiralled perfectly above the disk and now resided in the sky. It hadn?t gown in width at all, only length, and now appeared to be more like a stairway to heaven. In fact, he wasn?t even at the top. Glancing upwards, he could see that it continued to spiral upwards and appeared to be growing by the second, vanishing into the clouds.
?Actually, I do have a few left,? came the surprising voice of Garzavath from nearby. Valk span around in shock, only to have an open hand slam into his neck at incredible speed, lifting him from the surface and continuing to drag him along. As soon as Valk regained his senses, he could see that Garzavath?s legs and shins had apparently morphed into stone and in doing so, he was in a way, surfing along the spiral, taking Valk upwards. For some strange reason, he didn?t have to take any steps, as if he was one with the earth he was riding. ?But I?m afraid you may only live to see this one.?
Valk struggled against Garzavath?s grasp, but failed miserably as he soon gave up, realising that by escaping he would fall to his death. Garzavath had him held over the edge as they ascended. Below, the entire village could now be seen as a spec, with a black dot in the centre which was probably the disk they had previously been fighting on. Despite the amount of soldiers that had been present before, none were now visible, and weren?t going to become clearer as everything began to disappear from view as the space between both him and the ground grew.
?Is this really necessary?? Valk spat as he writhed, his breath becoming weaker due to the tightness of the Earth Lord?s grip. ?It just seems a little bit over the top. Wouldn?t a sword through the head have been enough for you??
?I at least wanted to let you see the view before you die,? Garzavath smirked in return. ?Plus, I want to be sure there?s nothing left when you hit the ground, so the higher we go the more I can rest assured that you?re going to become nothing more than a bloody stain.?
Valk looked down at his side; he still had his sword at hand. Even knowing that by having Garzavath let go, survival would be hopeless, he began to slash at his torso desperately, all to no avail. Each swing rebounded off his body as if it was made of diamond, not even chipping? or cutting through his skin. Eventually Valk gave up and decided to take the Lord?s advice. The view really was incredible. From where they were now, Valk could swear that he could see the Sky Fortress? ruins in the distance, along with snow capped mountains and a number of small and large populations. The sheer size of the canyon he had previously been travelling through was also apparent as he observed the pitch black crevice that stretched on for miles. All of a sudden, Valk felt his insides churn as Garzavath halted, causing Valk to almost swing out of his grasp for a moment. They had reached the end of the sky stairway, and clouds were beginning to surround them.
?Last stop,? Garzavath smiled as he allowed one finger to leave Valk?s neck. ?You?ve got a while to fall, so you can contemplate what I?m about to tell you. We?ve begun the harvest, and soon the human race will cease to exist. It won?t take long for Spartzan to convert the majority of them into his ideal image, and then they will wipe out the rest. Just so you know that you?ve failed completely, in case you thought that your death would mean something.?
?Spartzan can do what he wants,? Valk replied, starting to feel slightly light headed. ?But what do you think will happen to you once he has his army? He won?t need you anymore once he has what he wants, and don?t think that by sucking up to him and his father that you?ll survive. Just thought you should know before I die.?
Garzavath glared in the same way he had before their battle had begun, and didn?t answer. He simply shook his head in denial, and leaned back with Valk in his grip. Gathering tension in his arm, he took a step back, before throwing Valk forwards with a terrible cry and letting go. Valk left his fingers silently, and passed through a passing cloud as he began to fall with his back to the ground. Garzavath had had his fingers pressed around his throat for too long, and his sight was beginning to fade not for the first time since his journey had started. Wind was starting to rush past him with unbelievable noise, yet that was also slipping away as his eyelids closed little by little. Despite this, as he began to enter an unconscious state, something else was becoming visible. Not the spiral of earth around him, nor the endless sky of fields below, but a dark, musty plain. It wasn?t complete yet, more like a transparent world seen through glass, or some sort of abstract painting. But second after second it was solidifying and becoming more real than the true world. It was like a post apocalyptic desert of hardened, cracked earth. Dead plants could be seen every now and then, with the shadow of mountains in the distance. The sky above was completely black, and the entire plain was still, silent.
Death. Already?[/i]De Valk thought. The other world had by now disappeared absolutely. As if he had transferred dimensions, he took a step forwards and heard a dried up weed crumble beneath his foot. Due to the unbreakable silence previously, the slight noise echoed throughout the open area as if he was contained within a hollow cavern. The sound had caused him to avert his attention downwards, yet as he looked up something took him by surprise. Somewhere ahead, a human figure was appearing, followed by another, and then another, like and endless sea of blank faces dressed in rags. As he began to strain his sight, he could see that they appeared to be ghosts, or souls. They were all walking towards him, peacefully in an endless sadness. One movement caught Valk?s attention. Through the crowds one was approaching faster, dressed in a fading white. For a moment Valk had been still with fear, but he appeared to be drawn to the white and without a second thought began to advance towards it, not noticing the hundreds of others on either side of him and behind. It took him no time at all to reach the first transparent figure, who mindlessly passed through Valk, but stopped and turned to face his back as if wondering where he was going. As Valk slipped through them all in silence, they all started to spin around at low speeds and approach him.
What is this place? Valk tried to say as he drew closer to the white figure. He had tried to talk, yet his voice had simply emitted as a thought that echoed around him. Have I died already? If so, isn?t there any way to change this place?
In a way, yes, this is a land of the dead. Responded the form in white. The voice was old, and definitely male. Valk felt his insides rise as he reached the speaker and realised who it was. Before him stood Frakxuja, who seemed even more withered than before, yet still emitted an aura of power.
A land of the dead? Valk asked. What do you mean?
I trust you remember me, so I shall get straight to the point. Frakxuja began. Put simply, every soul you steal is trapped within your sword, as you know. Unfortunately, seeing as we are not given eternal rest, we have to go somewhere, and so the spell cast on your blade generated a form of prison within itself. A place where the spirits of those life you take are entrapped, with their power seeped away and passed onto you. Do you understand?

It?s not hard to understand. Valk hissed back. But something a little more interesting would be, why am I here?
You?re not. Frakxuja replied. We and you are one. The only reason that I can speak and the other can?t is because, like I explained before, our power is sapped away gradually, meaning that the strongest of us remain longer until we finally join your blood completely. Most of the regular humans arrive and fade in seconds, yet I and some Valerians still remain.
You could answer my question. Valk interrupted. Why am I here?
You?re not! Frakxuja attempted to shout back, though found himself unable. By entering an unconscious state of mind, your own soul and those that have not fused completely have somehow been able to enter in contact. It?s a strange circumstance, extremely unexpected, but in all of my living years I have heard of people possessing the same abilities as yourself doing the same.
And how can I get out. Valk asked, growing impatient.
By waking up. You have only been able to do this having gained enough power from our souls, and having mastered the majority of it. That meaning, that you have managed to wield a vast amount of the strength we have gifted you, involuntarily I might add. Though, seeing as you?re about to fall to your death, I don?t think it matters. Once your life is extinguished, those of us that have not faded will be free.Valk suddenly felt anger surge through him. He couldn?t understand why, nor why he did what he was about to do, but for some odd reason he then noticed that he still had his sword in his hand. Without motivation, he swung it outwards, swiping through one of the many souls surrounding him. As he did so, the almost completely faded spirit seemed to gasp in pain, but never managed to scream as it broke rapidly into more than a thousand pieces, and began to draft away. Upon doing this, Valk began to pant, but was shocked to feel new strength flood through him, as if he had just taken a moderately powerful life. In shock, Frakxuja stepped back and held up his arms in defence, but Valk simply swung his weapon wildly at him, taking out a number of other souls, along with the old Lord. The power gain was incredible, and for the third time Valk felt incomparable power overflowing within him. Yet he didn?t have time to see the souls fade. In a flash, he opened his eyes, revealing the sky around him. Unbeknownst to him, he had been writhing during his fall, and surprisingly enough he was still holding his weapon in his hand. Despite having awoken, he could feel the strength he had dreamt of still coursing through his veins. Pain was now unbearable in his back, and he could feel his very skin splicing open as he continued to fall. Without warning, he stopped, an aura of pure white surrounding him, and with a cry of pain he tensed up completely and felt his back rip away, as if it?s very inner structure was changing. Unable to bear the agony, he curled up almost into a ball, hugging his curled knees as if trying to hide from pain itself. Suddenly, the pain passed, and as he straightened out, a spray of blood burst from behind him. He recognised the feeling, and smiled as he felt the soft rub of angelic wings spreading from his muscles once again. Though something was different. Looking over his shoulder he could see that there were now four, each one spread into a cross behind him, larger, grander than before, with golden highlights running along the feathers with dripping blood newly drawn from his wounds dripping from the bottom of each.
With a smirk he looked back up as the aura disappeared. He was maintaining himself in the air by allowing his reborn wings to rise and fall gently, causing a soft breeze to generate around him. His battle wasn?t over yet.

« Last edited by Cataclysm on Apr 10th 2008 »
Sig and avy by Jam Jar

Sotek Posted: 12:47 Apr14 2008 Post ID: 2198588
Sotek
+
Awsomeness! Valk got his wings back!

Sorry it took me so long to read this, I've had a lot of revision and generally been exhausted. Anyway, the whole chapter was great, especially the earth snake thing. However, I suspect that there'll be a penalty for absorbing those souls so quickly rather than waiting for gradual release. Something like being immobelised for a week or something. Keep up the good fic, and I look forward to seeing Valk win more!

Incidentally, while Valk was falling, I was thinking "Hmm, it would really help if he hadn't had his wings burnt off..."

Cataclysm Posted: 12:45 Apr24 2008 Post ID: 2213717
Cataclysm
+
New Chapta!

Chapter 36: First Demonstration

Valk?s four wings rose, and then fell slowly, causing him to ascend greatly with each powerful movement. The spiral stairway of earth around him was rushing past at an immense speed, yet despite this the summit of the snake-like creation appeared to still be miles away. The ground was just as far away, and was disappearing fast, faster than when Garzavath had taken hold of him only moments before. It wasn?t certain for how long exactly he had been out of contact with the physical world, but he could tell that it hadn?t been excessively long. He hadn?t hit the ground, or even come close, and the time of day hadn?t changed in the slightest. If anything, he had only been unconscious for a few seconds.
Due to his high speed, his face was beginning to sting, yet he couldn?t allow Garzavath to escape. His pride had been damaged. He could always just allow Garzavath to think him dead and allow the message to reach Spartzan, that would have been the logical decision, but this was a chance Valk didn?t want to miss. Somewhere above him was one the two remaining Lords, separated from his own forces and unable to contact any of his allies.
Valk could feel the vapour of clouds as he continued to rise. Either that, or the blood still dripping from his angelic wings was being thrown up to his face. He didn?t bother to stop and check however, as he soon reached the top of the spiral, bursting away from it and maintaining his flight as he hovered metres above the centre. Garzavath was beneath him, his legs now free from their morphing with the earth. On top of that, he was facing away and was starting a long walk back down the spiral. Valk had no attention of alerting him just yet, and so he landed on the spot where he had been thrown silently. Just out of curiosity, he attempted to fold his wings back in, but failed as the simply shook violently after his attempts. Not wanting to waste any more time he held the Reaper out at his right side and immediately took off at a high speed behind the Earth Lord. It wasn?t long until his back came into sight, trudging away slowly downwards, apparently unaware that a man with his sights on revenge was charging up to him. At only a few metres away Valk swept his sword back and prepared to ram it through his target?s spine, only to have a diagonal spike of earth lurch out from the surface and knock him back, spiralling through the air. He had experience with flight though, and simply managed to return his balance as he tumbled, holding himself near to the ground, yet staying airborne nonetheless. As he regained his battle stance, he noticed that Garzavath was now facing him, both weapons at the ready, his flail in one hand, and broadsword in the other.
?What? how?? he gasped in shock as he saw the grand expansions of glorious feathers gracefully rising and falling behind Valk, who didn?t appear to be splattered or dead in any way at all.
?Surprising?? Valk asked as the wound inflicted on his stomach from the spike began to sow itself back to health. ?This hasn?t finished just yet, you owe me another chance.?
?I don?t owe you a thing,? Garzavath retaliated with a hiss. ?But it seems I don?t have a choice. You understand that this is a waste of time, don?t you? When Lord Spartzan gifted us with our new power, he made it so that our strength would grow to such a level so that nobody but he himself could defeat us. Only another Lord would be able to stand a chance in an all out battle.?
?Then I should consider myself lucky,? Valk began. He had fully absorbed Frakxuja?s power within the spiritual cage of the Reaper, but how could he be sure that his power wouldn?t be lowered, like when Varlerian blood is mixed with human blood. There was no way to find out without experimenting, so he continued. ?Frakxuja?s abilities are now completely mine. So going by that logic, this is technically a Lord on Lord battle, no??
Garzavath stayed silent for a moment. He wasn?t sure whether Valk?s story was believable, but how else would he have managed to survive such a fall without the Sky Lord?s help? or the help of an outsider?
?You expect me to believe that?? Garzavath smirked back. ?The only reason you survived that fall was because of Spartzan?s father. I don?t know why he would do anything like that, but he doesn?t favour you or me, only himself. Don?t place your trust in him? he won?t save you unless if benefits him in some way.?
Valk allowed his feet to touch the ground and once again held his sword in the same horizontal position. This time he was alert for any sudden attacks from the ground or above, if that was possible, but he hadn?t formulated a battle strategy just yet, and needed to stall.
?Believe what you want,? Valk replied, equally as smug as the Earth Lord. ?Bob didn?t save me. He didn?t even bother to appear, but you?ve given me a lot to think about. I?ll make sure he doesn?t get in my way once I?ve dealt with you.?
?Still full of confidence?? Garzavath grinned to himself. ?Even after your previous defeat. I guess it can?t be helped. I?ll just have to assure that I kill you myself this time, instead of leaving the work to gravity.?
Before Valk could make a move, Garzavath swept his flail hand upwards, causing a second earth spike to lunge out towards Valk. This time he was ready, and with a simple gust from his wings he pushed himself backwards and out of harm. Now that he was a decent distance away he held out his own palm, and launched sphere of dark flame towards his opponent, which collided with his torso with no effect as the Lord began to run towards Valk. That wasn?t on Valk?s mind however. As he had thrown his elemental attack, he had felt a new power rush through his veins for an instant, and a simple look to the sky showed the clouds returning to normal from what appeared to be some sort of spiral that they had formed high somewhere above. Now that he thought about it, the vapour around him appeared to be slightly denser, yet he had no time to contemplate the matter further as Garzavath reached him and stabbed forwards with his curved blade. Once again Valk used his wings rapidly to push himself to the side on impulse, and with gradual movements of his new organs began to circle the Lord slowly. Garzavath stood on the spot, only making slight foot movements as he turned, following Valk?s flight trajectory only inches away from the earth, which appeared to be a full circle around him. Before his complete round could be completed, Valk held out both hands in front of him and stopped directly in front of his opponent. This time Garzavath noticed the sensation, and after a simple glance noticed that the clouds above were beginning to spiral together, leaving a large gaping hole of sky in the centre, like a hurricane seen from a bird?s eye view.
?Maybe you were telling the truth about Frakxuja,? Garzavath muttered as he returned his attention to Valk. ?But he was old, and provided little competition. I?m a different matter.?
As he finished, he swung his flail forwards with surprising speed, and instantly the chain began to lengthen as it?s spiked tip began to race towards Valk. The winged warrior was about to defend himself, only to see sparks of energy leap out of nowhere before him and knock the weapon to the ground, as if it had collided with some sort of electrical, invisible shield. Garzavath grunted in anger and began to quickly retract the chained ball whilst commencing another run towards Valk. In no time at all the chain was back inside the pole, and the Lord was at the point of reaching his opponent. As he arrived and prepared to swipe his broadsword at Valk?s neck, Valk jumped into the air so that his feet were level with Garzavath and kicked off his face. As Valk was launched backwards, higher into the air, the receiver of the attack fell onto his own back, his both weapons skidding away so that he was defenceless. At that point Valk had both hands held above his head, pointing directly towards the complete spiral of now dark clouds in the sky above, which wasn?t all that far. In the centre was the hole of blue sky from before, which appeared to be brightening with white light after each passing second. Feeling his power charge had reached a high enough level Valk brought both of his arms rushing down, his sword still within his grasp, and following his movements practically hundreds of thin bolts of white lightning lurched from the hole in the sky and began to spread apart. As they reached the half way point between them and the source of the energy, they began to curve back inwards and join into one, all headed for one pinpointed location which Valk had his hands both aimed at.
Realising what was happening, Garzavath leapt back to his feet and began his third charge towards Valk, regardless of his weaponless state with his fist held back. As he came close to Valk, the earth behind him suddenly launched upwards with Garzavath above, sending him into the air in an incredible jump. Just as he reached Valk, who made no effort to stop his opponent?s latest attempt at an attack, the concentrated bolts of lightning hit, enveloping him in light and causing a massive rush of energy to explode around him, knocking Valk back slightly but not out of the air. It didn?t stop there. The bolts had slammed into Garzavath with such force that he had been sent through the air, yet it wasn?t over. Like the earth snake from before, the bolt appeared to writhing through the air now, carrying Garzavath within until it reached the centre of the earth spiral. As it did so, it suddenly began to rush downwards with speed that it hadn?t reached before, taking Garzavath towards the ground in the same way that Valk had fallen.
?We haven?t finished just yet!? Valk heard the falling Lord?s voice roar over the immense noise of the electricity. Looking down, he could see that his bolt was still pushing him towards his grave, but something was wrong. At the front of the lightning trail were Garzavath was located an accumulation of deep red energy was forming. Valk wasted no time in leaning downwards and using hi swings to soar down, attempting to reach the source of resistance that his bolt had encountered. It had reached a point where it had come to a complete halt, yet was still buzzing violently as it pushed against the blood red aura surrounding the Earth Lord. Valk soon reached his side and began to hover around, observing exactly what was happening. Garzavath skin was cracking apart, like a stone under pressure, and blood was seeping out rapidly. Somehow, his aura of energy was pushing Valk?s summoned element back, and was growing around him into something that could be dangerous. There was no point in wasting time, Valk held out his sword to Garzavath?s neck to make sure the aim was right and then brought it back over his shoulder. Before he could even to bring it rushing back, Garzavath began to roar in pain, his eyes clenched shut like his fists, causing his defensive shield to sink into him for a moment. In that instant Valk was confused, until the energy began to rush out of each of Garzavath?s wounds at such a speed that it soon began to envelope his own electrical trail, soaring up around it and following it?s trajectory towards the sky. As Valk brought his sword in a grand swing towards the Lord?s neck, it seemed to meet a similar invisible shield to the one that had surrounded hi before, effectively rebounding it out of Valk?s grasp and plunging downwards. With his left palm open, he easily summoned it back to him, but in the second that he did this he was unable to stop Garzavath?s retaliation. The red energy finally reached the round space in the sky, and for a moment there was nothing.
In a glorious burst of light, the very clouds in the sky were shred apart as a wave of elemental force swept outwards above both Valk and Garzavath. It was both red and white, as it both Garzavath?s summoned force and Valk?s were fighting one another in an expanding disk that darkened the sky and sent an ominous shadow out across the land. Upon the beginning of this, Garzavath?s body began to fall once again, this time naturally, yet Valk didn?t notice as he focused on the view above. As soon as the spectacle had been created, it rushed back into a point in the sky. As far as Valk understood, that meant that one element had overpowered the other, yet he was mistaken. Seconds later a bolt of combating red and white energy was coursing downwards, directly heading for the Earth spiral, slamming into its summit with unbelievable force and causing the cylinder-like snake of earth around Valk to tremble. Then it shattered completely in a manner similar to glass, and the world around him soon became a rain of rubble. The first to reach was the largest, but Valk managed to shatter it with a blast of dark flame before it could hit. Though it wasn?t the large ones he was worried about. It was the sheer amount of stone falling above and below him that caused him to sweat.
?What now?? he mumbled to himself as he summoned his typical dark sphere around him. He was protected for now, but it wouldn?t last forever and such a bombardment. Just then, he noticed that Garzavath?s body was no longer suspended at his side, and after a quick glance downwards he spotted the falling Lord amongst the earth rain.
?I?ll make sure he dies now!? Valk shouted aloud, leaning down head-first and once again plummeting with the help of his wings within his shield, which was beginning to weaken and fade. That didn?t matter as he soon reached Garzavath who appeared to be fully alive, protected by his own shield as he fell. As Valk drew close, he took his sword and held it back once again, this time letting it go and throwing it at Garzavath like a sphere. For some reason, a falling piece of rubble seemed to rush into its path in front of Garzavath?s heart, knocking thee sword back to Valk who caught it easily. His weapon had pierced the Lord?s defence easily, but it had seemed that the rocks had stood no chance, unless the protective stone had been of Garzavath?s doing.
It soon became clear that it was, as it fixed itself to Garzavath?s chest, followed by another, and then another, one by one clinging to his body as if forming a suit of natural armour. The ground was no closer, and once again the black disc was easily visible. Practically every soldier had was now lying under a sea of cracked stone, along with the rest of the village that was now obviously destroyed. Only the disc appeared to have been left alone, not a single crack visible on its surface, or for that matter not a stone either. Upon closer inspection, Valk could see that everything that connected with it was being shattered into nothing upon contact. Garzavath was closer to it than him, and so there was a chance that he would meet the same fate, and Valk would be able to name himself the victor.
No such thing happened. As the now completely covered Earth Lord struck the platform there was only a horrendous crash, followed by a shockwave that practically destroyed every falling stone of small size within the area and caused an incomparable cloud of dust to be thrown up. Valk touched the ground softly soon after, landing on his feet but unable to see a thing around him that was outside of his shield.
?Garzavath, aren?t you dead yet?? he called out. There was no answer, but the dust was beginning to clear and he could see something close by. There was a dark figure moving ahead amongst the screen of dirt. As he squinted to get a closer look, he had no time to react as something smashed through his shield from the right, slamming into his side and knocking him through the air. This time he had been unprepared, and soon found himself rolling across the black ground beneath him and skidding to a stop in a trail of blood and feathers. He already had his sword at the ready and was looking from one way to another, soon noticing something swing in his direction. He held up the Reaper as protection, but it was useless. Whatever it was smashed into his weapon and knocked him back through the air with the same force as before. Sure enough, he hit the ground like before, but was much quicker in returning to his feet. With a simple swipe of his free arm, he summoned a strong wind that began to sweep the dust cloud away, revealing a horrific sight. As the dust cleared, Valk began to see something in the centre that he wished he hadn?t. So much stone had pieced itself together around Garzavath that he had become more of a golem than a human. What had taken his place was a colossal creature with a height of approximately thirty-two metres. The only resemblance it bared to Garzavath was the human figure was the shape. Aside from that it had a human face with a pair of blood red eyes. Aside from that there was no more colour on its entire rigid body of earth. Stone had also formed what appeared to be battle armour on the torso, arms and legs that had numerous small rocks falling from them loosely. In one hand was also what could be considered a sword, but die to its length and width was more like a bridge being wielded in its left hand. In the right was nothing, just a clenched fist, and that was what Valk presumed had hit him earlier.
?Try me now!? came the beast?s voice in such a way that caused Valk to hold his ears in pain. A battle cry then came bursting from the new Garzavath?s mouth, shaking the ground as he held his weapon high in the air before returning to his position.
?I can?t say I?m not surprised,? Valk replied, barely loud enough for the creature to hear him. ?But you?re wrong if you think a little size increase will beat me.?
?A little size increase? I think that may be the understatement of the century.? Said another voice from behind Valk. He turned around, Reaper at the ready, hoping that it was Bob, but it wasn?t. In his face was the pale face of Amurios, as sly as every with a smirk. ?I was prepared to find perhaps a slight problem upon my inspection of Garzavath?s process, but this far exceeds even anything my imagination could have thought up. I came especially fast when I saw that beautiful sight in the sky, but it seems it?s calmed down now,? Amurios continued, pointing to the sky above. Valk followed his finger and saw that he was right. Both elements had died away, and now not even a cloud remained; only bright blue as far as the eye could see, which wasn?t far due to the fact that the falling stones had formed a coliseum-like wall around the disk. ?As much as I despise my all, Garzavath, he is still my ally. So it seems I?ll have to support this monstrosity if you choose to fight. Of course, you could always choose to leave now.?
Valk didn?t answer. He needed time to think. He could choose to escape, but the power gain on offer here was also far too high to not consider. If he could emerge victorious from this battle, he would be able to take on Spartzan with the power of all three Lords and his own. With the power of the Gears added on top of that, he could become a God among men. Unfortunately, he didn?t have the time to consider any other options as Garzavath began his advance towards Valk. Each step shook the surface with the force of a small earthquake, and the stone wall around the three began to vibrate violently, without falling completely.
?How about I fight you first?? Valk suggested. He continued as he saw Amurios? expression flicker with interest. ?You seem like an honourable man, and it hardly seems fair for me to fight both you and Garzavath in his current form. If you can allow me to duel one on one with you first, then how can you say that you disobeyed your orders??
?Honourable, I am,? Amurios began. ?But there is also a risk involved in taking you on on my own. So, I will accept your offer, on one condition.?
?Name it.?
?If I lose to you, you will use my power to topple Garzavath? and Spartzan, and anyone that threatens the people of this world in the way that they do. I cannot do it myself, they would both overpower me. But you have proven yourself by rising to these heights with your own abilities. You have already managed to defeat one Lord yourself. I believe in your strength.? He spoke solemnly. ?Do we have a deal??
?Wouldn?t it be easier to just let me kill you and then-?
?I have my pride,? Amurios interrupted. ?And if I am to die, then I at least want to die in dignity. If I beat you, then I?m sure my life will run a lot smoother, I win both ways. Deal??
Valk nodded in response. Taking this as a binding acceptance, Amurios held out his right hand, and from it leapt a stream of ice, that reached the Garzavath colossus? feet and began to envelope them thickly. But by bit it began to grow upwards, until after roughly thirty seconds the creature was completely frozen.
?You stopped him easily? if you wanted to you could defeat him yourself.? Valk said quietly in awe of how easily Amurios had halted the Lord?s process.
?True, but I don?t think I would stand a chance against Spartzan in battle. You however, have the ability to absorb the power of others, so you?re case is different. Now,? he stated, forming what appeared to be an incredibly large katana formed from solid ice in his hand. ?Prove yourself to me, and Garzavath. Prove to me that you are capable of wielding the Gears as your own.?
Sig and avy by Jam Jar

Displaying Page 7 of 8

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Last     Previous | Next
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close