Your Account
       Forgot Password

Not registered? Sign Up for free
    Registration allows you to keep track of all your content and comments, save bookmarks, and post in all our forums.

NFL - Discussion Thread

Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Down to Quick Reply
Displaying Page 286 of 462
  | Go to page:

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | ... | 284 | 285 | 286 | 287 | 288 | ... | 460 | 461 | Last     Previous | Next
Warrior13 Posted: 16:23 May11 2021 Post ID: 3454197
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
Post Likes: 1,056
+
Very sad day for me. Colt Brennan, former QB of the Hawaii Warriors, passed away today at the age of 37. I idolized him as a teenager when he played collegiately; he was one of the players I tried to mold my game after when I played in my younger days. Brennan, and the Hawaii Air Raid Offense as a whole, were before their time. Brennan was making the weird angle throws and back foot drops close to fifteen years before Mahomes was - something that was kind of frowned upon back then - eclipsing 4k yards basically every year he was at Hawaii, with his best season seeing him throw for over 5,500 (the same that saw him finish as the third best player in college). If you all remember, Burrow broke the college single season record of 58 TDs, which was held by none other than Brennan. Burrow's amazing season saw him becoming the #1 Overall Pick, while Brennan's three at Hawaii only garnered a 6th Round Selection. He never was giving a shot at the starting job for the Redskins, injuries and Jason Campbell well enough to prevent that from happening.

Unfortunately, after not making it with the Redskins, his NFL Career basically ended. Brennan was in a car accident a year or two after that, one that left him pretty messed up. On top of breaking a number of bones, he also walked away with some brain injury. He tried to revitalize his career in Pro Football within other countries and organizations outside of the NFL, but it never happened. He spiraled out of control from there, becoming quite the alcoholic. Apparently he was finally getting clean, having been five months within a program and said to be doing well. You don't just die for no reason though, so he must've relapsed or his prior excessive drinking caught up with him. It's a darn shame. He had so much talent, but like so many others that the same could be said for, he never got a real shot to make it big. What's even sadder it the people around him didn't get him some help until almost a decade later. I know you have to want to be helped before people can help you, but I'd have to think his parents and family could've stepped in sooner to try to save him from himself.
Reply Quote & ReplyMulti Quote
steelersrock01 Posted: 19:43 May11 2021 Post ID: 3454199
steelersrock01
Post Likes: 162
+
Very sad news especially because of the circumstances. A real CFB legend that just didn't pan out in the NFL. That's gotta be really tough for a lot of these guys - absolute heroes and legends in college and then obscurity after.
Warrior13 Posted: 21:09 May11 2021 Post ID: 3454200
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
It reminds me of Tyler Sash from a handful of years ago. Star Safety from Iowa. Many expected him to go as high as the 3rd Round, but he plummeted to the 6th. Drafted by the Giants, and he played exceptionally well in like two preseasons in consecutive years. I really thought he would be making the Giants Roster as at least a backup - this was when their defense was absolutely atrocious - but he was suddenly cut after that second preseason (despite, if my memory serves, being their leading tackler in those four games). Suddenly his dream over, and he fell fast. Ended up taking his own life a couple of years back. Really sad. Has to be crushing being near the top at your position in college only to never get a shot in the Pros.
steelersrock01 Posted: 22:49 May11 2021 Post ID: 3454201
steelersrock01
+
Yeah. There's an image that's floated around for years that breaks it all down. Something like 6% of high school players play college ball, and only 4% are still playing by the time they're a senior. And only about 1/3 of that 4% get scouted at all, and only 20% of that 1/3 get invited to the combine, and only 2/3 of combine invitees get drafted. It ends up being something ridiculous like only 150 players from each draft class make it past the first couple years. So to be one of those guys that actually makes it all the way and then flaming out when you've been a star all your life has to be tough.

One of my best friends in college had a brother who was a decent WR at Penn State but didn't get drafted, wasn't ready to give the game up, bounced around practice squads for 4 years and finally made it into a couple games on special teams but that was it. He struggled with it a bit because you always think if another team gives you a shot you can make it.

Luckily he's doing really well and has a career doing good work around sports so it worked out for him, but not everyone is that lucky.

« Last edited by steelersrock01 on May 11th 2021 »
Sanzano Posted: 07:20 May12 2021 Post ID: 3454202
Sanzano
Post Likes: 76
+
I remember Colt Brennan, the guy was never given a chance. In presesason games he was spectacular putting up great numbers but for some reason he was never given the opportunity to play in a regular season game. He would get a quarterback rating over a 100, in one game it was almost 160.

Sanzano Posted: 17:29 May12 2021 Post ID: 3454205
Sanzano
+
I see Deshaun Watson is going to payoff all twenty plus complaints against him. It will be interesting seeing how the NFL will handle this. To me this is admitting he is guilty and he doesn't want it to go to trial. NFL teams are reportedly still interested in trading for him.

Aaron Rogers is close to signing a deal with the Packers that will make him the highest paid quarterback in the league, surpassing Patrick Mahomes. When was the last time a highly paid quarterback won the Super Bowl?

steelersrock01 Posted: 18:43 May12 2021 Post ID: 3454208
steelersrock01
+
I'm still skeptical Watson plays this year even if he settles all of them. He's still got a huge contract that will be tough for most teams to take on.

I don't trust any Rodgers rumors until it's done and finalized. Highest paid doesn't really mean anything - they can give him a billion dollar contract with only 2 million guaranteed and then he's technically the highest paid player. The NFL is all about the guarantees.

I guess last year, if we consider Tom Brady high paid. Besides Tom, Peyton Manning in 2016. Before that, Eli and Rodgers and Brees, but now we're going back about 10 years where the financials were different. Nowadays you pretty much have to have a QB on a rookie contract to be able to afford to make the rest of the team competitive. I think Rodgers is one of the very few that are good enough to carry a team while still being highly paid, at least for the near future.
steelersrock01 Posted: 19:12 May12 2021 Post ID: 3454209
steelersrock01
+
Team schedules have released. Here's the Steelers:

Week 1-@ Buffalo Bills 1:00 p.m. ET

Week 2-vs Las Vegas Raiders 1:00 p.m. ET

Week 3-vs Cincinnati Bengals 1:00 p.m, ET

Week 4-@ Green Bay Packers 4:25 p.m. ET

Week 5-vs Denver Broncos 1:00 p.m. ET

Week 6-vs Seattle Seahawks 8:20 p.m. ET

Week 7-BYE WEEK

Week 8-@ Cleveland Browns 1:00 p.m. ET

Week 9-vs Chicago Bears 8:15 p.m. ET

Week 10-vs Detroit Lions 1:00 p.m. ET

Week 11-@ Los Angeles Chargers 8:20 ET

Week 12-@ Cincinnati Bengals 1:00 p.m. ET

Week 13-vs Baltimore Ravens 4:25 p.m. ET

Week 14-@ Minnesota Vikings 8:20 p.m. ET

Week 15-vs Tennessee Titans 1:00 p.m. ET

Week 16-@ Kansas City Chiefs 4:25 p.m. ET

Week 17-vs Cleveland Browns 8:15 p.m. ET

Week 18-@ Baltimore Ravens 1:00 p.m. ET

Dare I say not a single easy game on the schedule. We've got the NFC North and AFC West, plus the Seahawks and Titans and Bills. I can easily see this being an 8-9 or 9-8 season if things don't go right. But I also see 12-5 or 13-4 as a possibility.
Warrior13 Posted: 19:57 May12 2021 Post ID: 3454210
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
Miami has a rough schedule as well...

Week 1: at New England Patriots, Sept. 12, 4:25 p.m.
Week 2: vs. Buffalo Bills, Sept. 19, 1 p.m.
Week 3: at Las Vegas Raiders, Sept. 26, 4:05 p.m.
Week 4: vs. Indianapolis Colts, Oct. 3, 1 p.m.
Week 5: at Tampa Bay Buccaneers Oct. 10, 1 p.m.
Week 6: at Jacksonville Jaguars in London, Oct. 17, 9:30 a.m.
Week 7: vs. Atlanta Falcons, Oct. 24, 1 p.m.
Week 8: at Buffalo Bills, Oct. 31, 1 p.m.
Week 9: vs. Houston Texans, Nov. 7, 1 p.m.
Week 10: vs. Baltimore Ravens, Nov. 11, 8:20 p.m.
Week 11: at New York Jets, Nov. 21, 1 p.m.
Week 12: vs. Carolina Panthers, Nov. 28, 1 p.m.
Week 13: vs. New York Giants, Dec. 5, 1 p.m.
Week 14: BYE WEEK, Dec. 12.
Week 15: vs New York Jets, Dec. 18 or 19, TBD
Week 16: at New Orleans Saints, Dec. 27, 8:15 p.m.
Week 17: at Tennessee Titans, Jan. 2, 1 p.m.
Week 18: vs. New England Patriots, Jan. 9, 1 p.m.

Going to Foxborough is never easily, especially right off the bat, and then they have to play the Bills. That could easily be an 0-2 Start for Miami. Then they have the Raiders in Vegas, only their second game in front of fans, which could make for a favorable environment for the Raiders. Dolphins should win that one, but definitely not a guarantee. Following that they have to play the Colts and then in Tampa against the Bucs. If Miami doesn't come hot out of the gate, they could stumble to 0-5 real quick. However, I think 2-3 is looking more likely. If they can make out 3-2, they should be in good shape.

Jacksonville should be a W, but of course it has to happen in London. Those have been a toss up for the most part. For some reason, the Phins don't have a Bye week after going to London, having to play the Falcons the following week. Even though it's in Miami, the travel could hurt the Phins. And then in Buffalo the week after that... That's rough...

Phins should defeat the Texans in Week 9, that is if Watson isn't playing for them. If he is, different story. Ravens will be tough despite being in Miami, but the Phins should be able to take care of the Jets following that. Phins should defeat the Panthers and Giants in Week 12 and 13, but those aren't guarantees either since both of them could be rolling by that point.

Phins should complete the sweep of the Jets after their LATE WEEK 14 BYE, but playing on the road late against the Saints and Titans is absolutely horrible come playoff season being in the air. Phins should close with a win against the Patriots, who tend to struggle in the heat late in the year.

Likely Case: 9-8, Wild Card Contention
Best Case: 11-6, Wild Card Berth
Worst Case: 4-13, Tua Struggles Continues
steelersrock01 Posted: 21:55 May12 2021 Post ID: 3454213
steelersrock01
+
Man, not having a bye after the London trip is rough. Week 14, geez. In the near future I see a 20 week, 18 game season with 2 bye weeks and 2 preseason games.
Warrior13 Posted: 00:08 May13 2021 Post ID: 3454217
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
I can see 18 Games with double byes too, but I think they would likely just kill the preseason if that were the case and increase training camp regulations and overall roster numbers. That or do as you see but start at the beginning of August with Preseason Games so we are not going almost into March with the Super Bowl. lol
Matt77 Posted: 07:00 May13 2021 Post ID: 3454222
Matt77
The Chosen One
Post Likes: 275
+
Week 1: at New England - W?
Week 2: vs. Buffalo - L
Week 3: at Las Vegas - W?
Week 4: vs. Indianapolis - L?
Week 5: at Tampa Bay - L
Week 6: at Jacksonville - W
Week 7: vs. Atlanta - W?
Week 8: at Buffalo - L
Week 9: vs. Houston - W
Week 10: vs. Baltimore - L
Week 11: at New York Jets - W?
Week 12: vs. Carolina - W
Week 13: vs. New York Giants - W
Week 15: vs New York Jets - W
Week 16: at New Orleans - L?
Week 17: at Tennessee - L
Week 18: vs. New England - W?

Likely Case: 9-8 (no playoffs)
Best Case: 12-5 (wildcard weekend)
Worst Case: 5-12

ViolinViolinViolin
~ Sometimes people change, but sometimes you just open your eyes & realise who they truly are ~

Warrior13 said:I realized Matt is the Chosen One of SC.

Credits to KingofCorn for the awesome avatar!
Warrior13 Posted: 11:34 May13 2021 Post ID: 3454223
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
Matt: Yep, you're seeing things basically the same as me. We have the "5th Easiest" based on last year winning percentages. Yeah right. When there's a chance you only win four or five games (worst case), that's not an easy schedule.

Steelers have the toughest based on winning percentages, Baltimore second. Packers face ten playoff teams out of their seventeen games (four of the other seven are against Vikings and Lions within their division). Tough roads for those three, as well as the rest of the AFC North.
steelersrock01 Posted: 12:59 May13 2021 Post ID: 3454224
steelersrock01
+
Strength of schedule is usually a BS metric anyway because it doesn't take into account teams tat massively improved or got worse.
Sanzano Posted: 13:26 May13 2021 Post ID: 3454225
Sanzano
+
Skip Bayless believes the Cowboys will go 8-0 at home in Dallas. I disagree with him, Redskins are going to win a high scoring game there providing Dallas can stop the Washington front four which I am not convinced they will be able to if last years performance is any evidence.

I think Miami will do well this year, to begin with Tua won't have to look over his shoulder and share time with another player. He is starting and he is going to be healthy and now he has a familiar target to throw to. I think 11-6 and they get knocked out at the divisional games of the playoffs.

Warrior13 Posted: 20:42 May13 2021 Post ID: 3454227
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
Dallas has shot of going undefeated at home because they got a real easy slate, but I agree, I can't see them doing it. They also have a rough road schedule, so it will balance out regardless.
Matt77 Posted: 22:14 May13 2021 Post ID: 3454232
Matt77
The Chosen One
Post Likes: 275
+
Dallas will cruise to the NFC East title, but will struggle in playoffs. I'm not convinced that their woeful defense can be fixed after just 1 draft. In the NFC I can see Green Bay, Minnesota, Tampa Bay, Atlanta, Seattle, & LA Rams all potentially beating Dallas.

ViolinViolinViolin
~ Sometimes people change, but sometimes you just open your eyes & realise who they truly are ~

Warrior13 said:I realized Matt is the Chosen One of SC.

Credits to KingofCorn for the awesome avatar!
Sanzano Posted: 00:18 May15 2021 Post ID: 3454234
Sanzano
+
I can't believe you guys are placing Dallas above Washington. I think the N.Y. Giants could also end up above Dallas. How are Dallas going to stop Washington, we beat them convincingly last season. Antonio Gibson sliced up the Cowboys with ease and now we have two more speed demons they have to contend with while we have plugged up our linebacker weakness on defence. Dallas will be lucky to end up 8-9, I see Washington and the Giants going a game or two better than that. I do think all three teams have improved from last year.

If Mica Parsons was still available at pick 19 do you guys think Washington would have taken him over Jamin Davis. Rivera has repeatedly said they got their man.

« Last edited by Sanzano on May 15th 2021 »

Warrior13 Posted: 05:35 May15 2021 Post ID: 3454236
Warrior13
Jimo Dashen
+
I'm not sure who I have coming out of the NFC this year. Cowboys and Giants are loaded on offense, but the Redskins are oozing with talent on defense. Should be interesting. The only thing I'm willing to be is that the Eagles will not be winning the division. lol

Some had Davis rated higher than Parsons because of character concerns with Parsons. Both are freaks, but I think most people would tell you that Parsons is better at this point.
steelersrock01 Posted: 09:19 May15 2021 Post ID: 3454238
steelersrock01
+
I think the NFC East is way up in the air. I think the Eagles even have a shot at it if Hurts is improved, at least to compete.
Displaying Page 286 of 462
  | Go to page:

First | 2 | 3 | 4 | ... | 284 | 285 | 286 | 287 | 288 | ... | 460 | 461 | Last     Previous | Next
Subscribe to topic Low Bandwidth

Currently viewing this thread:
REPLY IN THIS THREAD
You must be logged in to reply:
Username: 
Password:   
Forgot password? Click here to get it resent to you.

Users under 13 are not eligible to post on the SuperCheats forums.

Post Top
Click to close